New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Substituting Actions?

I've seen reference to a rule that you can substitute standard actions for move actions and move actions for minor actions. I'm having trouble locating it in the books though.

Maybe also worth giving an example of what I have been able to find:
    Quote Originally Posted by PH1
    Double Move On your turn, you can move twice if you take a move action instead of a standard action. If you take the same move action twice in a row—two walks, two runs, two shifts, two crawls—you’re taking a double move.
    It is also probably worth asking up front: does this let you use a move action to continue a power with "sustain minor?" I've seen you can only sustain "a power" once per round, but I'm not 100% clear whether or not this means you can sustain each power once or one power total.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Substituting Actions?

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    I've seen reference to a rule that you can substitute standard actions for move actions and move actions for minor actions. I'm having trouble locating it in the books though.
    There's a sidebar on p. 268 of the PHB that covers this: "On your turn, you can take a move action or a minor action instead of a standard action, and you can take a minor action instead of a move action." It then goes on to list the various combinations of actions that a character might take.

It is also probably worth asking up front: does this let you use a move action to continue a power with "sustain minor?" I've seen you can only sustain "a power" once per round, but I'm not 100% clear whether or not this means you can sustain each power once or one power total.
    Yes, you can use a move action to sustain a power with sustain minor. You can sustain multiple effects as long as you have enough actions for them. The limitation of once per round is for each particular effect.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Substituting Actions?

@tiornys Thanks. The first question is written out again under the next header too, so I've no idea how I missed it.