New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default What movies are your favorites, and what do you plan to watch?

Just curious on what movies people like and they want to watch. Yes, this is a very subtle way of asking for recommendations.

For the record, I do feel like most of my favorite films feel somewhat off from my current demographic, but from where I lived as a kid I didn't really get the chance to experience movies. So I guess I'm playing catch-up.

My list:

The Matrix
    V for Vendetta
    The Silence of the Lambs
    The Shawshank Redemption
    District 9
    Zodiac
    Wall-E
    fricking IP Man, goddamn
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Scott Pilgrim vs the World

And to-watch:

Parasite
    Spirited Away
    Knives Out
    Spoiler: Knives Out
    Show

Wow, nicely done. I knew Rian Johnson was holding back.

Pan's Labyrinth
    any of Fincher's Films
    Donnie Darko

(I'll probably edit this later).

What are your lists?
    Last edited by understatement; 2020-06-29 at 07:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What movies are your favorites, and what do you plan to watch?

Favourites : (though ask me this again tomorrow and I guarantee at least a few will be different)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    Usual Suspects
    Zulu
    Princess Bride
    Mr Vampire
    Terminator
    Yojimbo
    Untouchables
    The Raid
    Dredd
    Zu Warriors

To See:
    Uncut Gems
    Midsommar
    A Field In England
    Animal Kingdom
    A Bittersweet Life
    The Lighthouse
    SPL
    The Hidden Fortress
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2020-06-29 at 05:32 PM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Here's some films that I liked, and the years they were first screened (with a random few highlighted with links about them):

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - 1920

The Thief of Bagdad - 1924

Footlight Parade 1933

Gold Diggers of 1933 (just take a guess why don't you?)

Things to Come - 1936

The Prisoner of Zenda - 1937

Alexander Nevsky - 1938

The Adventures of Robin Hood - 1938

His Girl Friday - 1940

The Grapes of Wrath - 1940

The Great Dictator - 1940

The Sea Hawk - 1940

The Thief of Bagdad - 1940

Waterloo Bridge - 1940

The Maltese Falcon - 1941

Casablanca - 1942

Double Indemnity - 1944

La Belle et la Bête (Beauty and the Beast) - 1946

It's a Wonderful Life - 1946

The Third Man - 1949

Orphée (Orpheus) - 1950

On the Waterfront - 1954

The Seven Samurai - 1954

Cyclists Special - 1955

Paths of Glory - 1957

The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad - 1958

Vertigo - 1958

Journey to the Center of the Earth - 1959

On the Beach - 1959

The Time Machine - 1960

Yojimbo - 1961

Billy Budd - 1962

First Men in the Moon - 1964

Lord Jim - 1965

Le Roi de cœur (King of Hearts) -1966

De Duva (The Dove) - 1968

Johnny Got His Gun - 1971

The Conquest of the Planet of the Apes - 1972

Dark Star - 1974

The Island at the Top of the World - 1974

The Land That Time Forgot - 1974

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - 1975

The Rocky Horror Picture Show - 1975

At The Earth's Core - 1976

Logan's Run - 1976

Jabberwocky - 1977

Star Wars - 1977

Wizards - 1977

Hardware Wars - 1978

Alien - 1979

Monty Python's Life of Brian - 1979

Dragonslayer - 1981

Escape from New York -1981

Excalibur - 1981

Raiders of the Lost Ark - 1981

The Road Warrior - 1981

Time Bandits -1981

Blade Runner - 1982

The Wrath of Khan - 1982

Something Wicked This Way Comes - 1983

Conan the Destroyer - 1984

Repo Man - 1984

1984 - 1984

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension - 1984

This is Spinal Tap - 1984

Brazil - 1985

Young Sherlock Holmes - 1985

Aliens - 1986

Raising Arizona - 1987

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen - 1988

The Princess Bride - 1988

Gattaca

Galaxy Quest - 1999

A Knight's Tale - 2001

49 Up - 2005

Hott Fuzz - 2007

Atonement - 2007

Moonrise Kingdom - 2012

Locke - 2013

The Grand Budapest Hotel - 2014

'71 - 2014

J. R. R. Tolkien vs George R. R. Martin. Epic Rap Battles of History - 2015

Twentieth Century Women - 2016

Topping my "to see" list right now are:

Waterloo Bridge - 1931

Make Way For Tomorrow - 1937

Tokyo Story - 1953

Gaby - 1956

L'eclisse (The Eclipse) - 1962

Chimes at Midnight - 1965

Girl on a Motorcycle - 1968

The Brothers Grimm - 2005
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Here's some films that I liked, and the years they were first screened (with a random few highlighted with links about them):

[list]
    No Blues Brothers?

Bytheway, this post should serve as a reply to everyone who does not list the Blues Brothers.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    No Blues Brothers?

Bytheway, this post should serve as a reply to everyone who does not list the Blues Brothers.

Unfortunately I just don't remember it as well as Blues Brothers 2000 (but I do remember thinking "the first one was much better" after seeing that), also, I forgot from my list: Bedazzled - 1967, and The Three Musketeers -1973, both of which were great!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

While I can watch almost anything because of my chronic lack of taste, here's some of the films that stuck with me after the fact;

8 Women, a French murder-mystery-musical, quite possibly one of the funnest genre mishmashes. Weird and dark and sad and
    Spoiler
    Show
    surprisingly gay, though most of it didn't age well.

Ocean's 11. A slick heist movie that knows its limitations and what it wants to do and does it well. In terms of sequels; skip 12, maybe watch 13, and go into 8 with an open mind.

Song of the Sea, an Irish (available in English) 2D animated film that takes inspiration from celtic mythology. Cartoon Saloon, the studio that made it, comes in swinging with visuals that can only be described as lush. Just a beautifully scored, beautifully animated film. I used to walk past their studios a lot in the past, and they're still going strong.

Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse. If you have ever considered yourself interested in the animated medium, are sick of the focus on photo realism in non-live action films, or just like having fun, and you haven't watched this, you are missing out. Genuinely one of the most innovative, artistically masterful pieces I've seen in a while.

Pride, a story that depicts the real-life struggles of LGSM, an alliance between the miners and the gay community during the 80s. Fun, sad, genuinely well-written dialogue and characters, and a kickin' soundtrack. What more could you want?

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, not because it's good or not, but because I watched all three and a half hours of it straight through when I was 8 and I think everyone should experience the out-of-body experience I had after the fact.

The Cornetto Trilogy, specifically The World's End. Anything Edgar Wright touches is solid gold, but these films . . . They're just that good, okay?
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Some of my favorites:

The Beast (1988)
    Cube
    Pan's Labyrinth
    Banlieue 13 (2004, French)
    The Transporter
    Fanfare (1958, Dutch)
    Starship Troopers
    How To Train Your Dragon
    The Land Before Time
    The Thing (1982)

And purely for the soundtrack Best of the Best (1989) and Prince of Egypt.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Unfortunately I just don't remember it as well as Blues Brothers 2000 (but I do remember thinking "the first one was much better" after seeing that), also, I forgot from my list: Bedazzled - 1967, and The Three Musketeers -1973, both of which were great!
    Those 2, along with your earlier list, make a great group of recommendations, though there are a couple I don't particularly like and a few I haven't seen.

I'll add my usual plug for the 20's silent version of Ben-Hur, plus a few more, focusing on movies I think are kind of unfairly over-looked:

Winchester '73 (one of the best Westerns, and one of Jimmy Stewart's best films)

A Shot in the Dark (first sequel to The Pink Panther, and much more typical of the series than the first pic; probably over-looked because it's the only one in the series not to have the franchise name somewhere in the title)

The Black Hole (not exactly a favorite, but a very interesting yet flawed movie--exactly the kind of movie that needs to be re-made IMO)

Con Air (a guilty pleasure; stupid but fun)

Saving Grace (under-rated British comedy)

The Green Mile (I'll see your Stephen King-based prison film, and raise you 1)

Spy Kids (yeah, ok, it's a kids' movie, but it's Robert Rodriguez's take on a kids' movie)

The Whole Nine Yards (one of my favorite comedies)

The Whole Nine Yards (one of my favorite comedies)

To See List (very abridged version)

Punch Drunk Love

The Manchurian Candidate (definitely not the remake--I actually started watching the original a while back but got interrupted)

Bubba-Ho-Tep

Children of Men

Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    To See List (very abridged version)

Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil
    I vote you move this to the front of the line, since it'll almost certainly make it onto the other list.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by deltamire
    Song of the Sea, an Irish (available in English) 2D animated film that takes inspiration from celtic mythology. Cartoon Saloon, the studio that made it, comes in swinging with visuals that can only be described as lush. Just a beautifully scored, beautifully animated film.
    Seconding this. It’s a lovely, thoughtful, rather oddball film with a distinctive animation style. I wouldn’t call it lush, and it took a bit to get used to, but it’s a wonderful story full of whimsy and simple love.

Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse.…. Genuinely one of the most innovative, artistically masterful pieces I've seen in a while.
    Another excellent animated feature. Really leans into the possibilities of adapting the styles and conventions of print comics to an animated format.

Ocean's 11. A slick heist movie that knows its limitations and what it wants to do and does it well. In terms of sequels; skip 12, maybe watch 13, and go into 8 with an open mind.
    I watched 13 and it was awful, so at least I know to steer clear of 12.

As for 8, it was a ton of fun, and once again Cate Blanchett proves she can play anything flawlessly. But I had one marked gripe with this one:

Spoiler
    Show
    Everything goes off without a hitch.

Every single aspect of the heist goes perfectly, right to the plan, and that just made it all too pat for me. Half the enjoyment of a heist movie is that moment when things go to pieces, and they have to toss the plan and improvise.

Ocean’s 8 ignored that completely, and it felt unsatisfying as a result.

Originally Posted by dps
    The Black Hole (not exactly a favorite, but a very interesting yet flawed movie--exactly the kind of movie that needs to be re-made IMO)
    I loved this movie when I was a kid, but I tried watching it recently on Disney+ and it really hasn’t aged well. The style and tone feel very dated now.

The novelization was by Alan Dean Foster, who somehow managed to do novelizations for just about everything (Aliens, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc.) and as usual he improved on the source material. I usually don’t like remakes, but I have to agree a remake in this case could be interesting.

One of my favorites which hasn’t been mentioned is The Road to El Dorado, which was one of the first movies released by Dreamworks, although it was overshadowed by Prince of Egypt.

The Road to El Dorado does exactly what it sets out to do, and it does it superbly: a silly and hilarious buddy movie, with some surprisingly authentic touches mixed in with all the goofiness. Also a soundtrack with some excellent songs.

As for movies I plan to watch, I've been meaning to take a look at Woman Walks Ahead, which from the preview seems to be a thoughtful take on a period in American history which is typically given a rather violent and superficial treatment.

Last edited by Palanan; 2020-06-30 at 10:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I don't have a particular list - I've never been that into cinema as a subject for obsession, so my experience is relatively limited. I would probably include:

The Fly (1986) - Cronenberg is a genius, one of the best and most disturbing depictions of terminal illness ever created, both Geena Davis and Jeff Goldblum are great.

The works of John Carpenter, especially including:

Starman (1984) - it's kind of a love story involving Space Jesus, but... I rather like this one anyway.

The Thing (1982) - actually requires some thinking to fully understand, high tension, remarkable special effects for the time that are still effective.

Others:

The Devil's Candy (2015) - I hate grossout and slasher movies. This movie shows nothing, and is all the more effective for what it leaves out. Memorable and disturbing without ever being explicit, demonstrates a mastery of true horror.

The Descent (2005) - excellent psychological tension - if possible, watch the one with the UK ending, not the US one, which is stupid and offensive. Extraordinary film otherwise that reminds me of the best parts of the Alien series - where you realize you've been seeing the images without recognizing them.

Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse (2018) - Well-told story, interesting characters, feels like a comic book come to life in all the best possible ways. Extraordinary art. Highly recommended.

The Avengers (2012) - best superhero movie of all time IMO. I expected little of it, saw it after a friend was enthusiastic, was completely blown away. Joss Whedon deserves more respect.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - Stephen King writes fantastically when restricted in length, and this is a great adaptation of a great novella. Emotionally powerful, inspirational without being glurgy or saccharine.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - best appreciated by fans of Star Trek, I know it's a bit over the top at points, and sometimes the lack of budget shows, but it's entertaining, riveting, has an exceptional and memorable performance by Ricardo Monteban, and the ending is a cultural touchstone, arguably must be seen to understand modern pop culture.

The Dark Knight (2008) - I found myself looking away from the screen because I couldn't take the tension any more. Keith Ledger was wonderful, and horrible. And of course any film with Michael Caine is good, even if it's only the Michael Caine bits (in this movie it's all good).

The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992): Michael Caine, the Muppets, and a solid version of an old classic. Also Gonzo and Rizzo the Rat! See this even though it's Disney.

Babe (1995) - 'heartwarming' annoys me, but this movie is so relentlessly good I can't hate it even if I try.

(edit to add)

Clue (1985) - zany, ridiculous humor in a send-up of murder mysteries. If it has both Tim Curry and Madeline Kahn, you know it's good.

Ladyhawke (1985) - has one of the worst beginnings ever, with one of the best mid-to-ends. Uneven but unforgettable.

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989) - one of the few movies that gets time travel right. Whoa.
    Last edited by Caledonian; 2020-07-03 at 04:07 PM.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Palanan
    As for movies I plan to watch, I've been meaning to take a look at Woman Walks Ahead, which from the preview seems to be a thoughtful take on a period in American history which is typically given a rather violent and superficial treatment.
    Just to follow up on this, I watched Woman Walks Ahead a few days ago. It's very well-done, and manages to be thoughtful and quietly artistic without being pretentious. Jessica Chastain is excellent as always, and Michael Greyeyes is superb. It also gives us an interesting and very accurate look at some cultural practices which are rarely if ever shown.

Spoiler
    Show
    That said, for a movie that wants to celebrate a lesser-known figure, it ends up stripping out much of her life and simplifying her character to the point of Generic Eastern Society Woman. Given how carefully they addressed some of the finer points from history, they didn't do Catherine Weldon the credit of acknowledging how complex her life had really been.

Still worth watching, but also worth keeping in mind that the main character's real life story was much different than what the script presents.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Surprised nobody mentioned this one:

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095031/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Love that movie, hilarious characters .. casting ... :)
    Laugh at life.
    Laugh until you cry.

14. - Top - End - #14

PirateGirl

Favorites as of right now? Just a few I can think of at the moment.

Arrival
    Annihilation
    Up
    Wall-E
    Pontypool
    Sorry To Bother You
    The Last Days
    Her
    Good Time
    Falling Down
    (And then of course there's several shows that have longer arcs like a movie for an entire production run, but are also formatted into smaller mini-arcs like episodic TV shows. But I'll play along and pretend those don't exist. In my mind, though, I think of those things as if they were movies.)

I like a lot of movies, so favorites might be overstating the ones on this list. I don't generally think of movies in terms of favorites as much as I tend to categorize them as, "would recommend to general audience", "would recommend to specific audience" and "would not recommend". It's rare I use it, but I also have an "recommended to avoid" category that truly excessively awful things go into. But most of the movies I just mentioned are ones I've seen multiple times or have elements in them I consider interesting enough to discuss with people or think about on my own.

Sometimes I watch a movie and I don't really know what I think about it yet. Aniara is one such movie.

I think most movies have little of interest to really talk about. There are movies I have seen which I thought were garbage, but because it was garbage for an interesting reason, I can find them somewhat interesting to talk or think about. Especially when I think of the movie in terms of trying to figure out what the writers/producers/director were trying to accomplish. So in some sense, I have seen terrible movies before that have given me more to say than genuinely good movies. An enjoyable movie I don't have much to think about cannot be a favorite movie of mine.

Some movies I plan to watch include:

Under The Skin
    Prospect
    Paddleton

I don't have much I plan to watch in general because I tend to watch things on a whim rather than because of critical reception or general hype. Do I feel like giving "stated specific premise" a shot right now? If yes, I'll generally give anything a shot. Even sometimes Asylum or Adam Sandler/Will Ferrell movies. Though Asylum movies are usually accidental viewings, like I assume most of their audience is.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by BeerMug Paladin
    Arrival
    This is one of my very favorite recent SF movies, because it actually requires the audience to think rather than just sit through explosions. Beautifully done and highly rewarding.

Prospect
    If this is the 2018 indie-SF movie, then you’re in for a treat. It’s excellent—moody, dreamlike, very personal and small-scale.

Spoiler
    Show
    There are a few places where the very low budget is obvious to the point of distracting, but for the most part it’s an example of how really good low-budget SF is possible and worth doing. Very much recommended.

Sometimes I watch a movie and I don't really know what I think about it yet. Aniara is one such movie.
    I really wish I hadn’t watched that one. Excruciatingly depressing, and written with virtually no understanding of how the solar system is laid out or how insystem trajectories really work.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The Empire Strikes Back
    Blade Runner
    Ghost in the Shell

In that order.

Also high in my collection:

Alien
    The Thing
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Fury Road
    Inception
    Princess Mononoke
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

17. - Top - End - #17
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

A lot of people have mentioned some of my favorites, but two that haven't gotten attention yet.

My Cousin Vinny (1992) - both a wonderful comedy and a far more accurate portrayal of the trial system than any police procedural, to the point where it's (supposedly) shown in law school to students.

The Hunt For Red October (1990) - Sean Connery as a Russian submarine captain who gives 0.3 Honey Badgers about his accent, a young Alec Baldwin, and James Earl Jones make for the best film adaptation of any Tom Clancy novel.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    My Cousin Vinny (1992) - both a wonderful comedy and a far more accurate portrayal of the trial system than any police procedural, to the point where it's (supposedly) shown in law school to students.
    I don't know if it's shown in law schools or not, but I know that the Legal Eagle reviewed it on his You Tube channel and basically said it was one of the most accurate movie depictions of how a trial actually works.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    I don't know if it's shown in law schools or not, but I know that the Legal Eagle reviewed it on his You Tube channel and basically said it was one of the most accurate movie depictions of how a trial actually works.
    A good deal of law schools do actually show it (or parts of it) as examples of how to do a textbook X, mostly as a way to unwind for a small bit in between all the soul crushing that goes on. According to some lawyer friends, at least. I knew that well before the Legal Eagle episode, but it was still a fun ride.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

So lets take my lead....

Brazil....the international ending only/directors cuts. This may be my favorite movie period
    Dr Strangelove
    Rush (the F1 movie....probably gets my "most underrated" award a character study marketed as a sports flick)
    Silver Linings Playbook (hey someone used every damn trope of the RomCom and made it work...kudos)
    Dredd 3D (good grief this was pretty and not even that stupid)
    Cave of Forgotten Dreams (if you can find a 3D showing of this...do. It is what sold me on the use of 3D as artistic choice)
    Monty Python (Life of Brian, Meaning of Life, and Search for the Holy Grail-just I'm a fan)
    A Fish Called Wanda
    Edge of Tomorrow
    Love Actually (total schmaltz but I watch it every Xmas and love it every time)
    Collateral
    Girl With a Pearl Earring
    Silence of the Lambs
    Alien and Aliens (two genres both great fun)
    Moon
    The Wicker Man (73...No Mr Cage)
    Four Rooms
    Reservoir Dogs
    Syriana
    Witness
    Indiana Jones & last Crusade
    Neon Daemon (amazing as modern fairy tale)
    Locke
    Shame
    Se7en
    Tomas Crown Affair (I like the Pierce Brosnan one more for the return scene but damn the Chess scene with McQueen is good)
    Cube
    Shawshank Redemption
    Clue
    Apollo 13
    Bridge of Spies
    The Bucket List
    Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    Inception
    The Italian Job (1969)
    Event Horizon
    When Harry met Sally
    Harry Brown
    A Single Man
    Memento
    In Bruges
    Seven Psychopaths
    The Deerhunter
    Kingsman: The Secret Service
    Stranger than Fiction
    Pulp Fiction
    Blade Runner
    Her (with Mr Phoenix)
    Jurassic Park (original only thankyouverymuch)
    Frost/Nixon
    Robot & Frank
    Pacific Rim
    Star Wars (Ep IV)
    Twelve Angry Men
    Up in the Air
    Pan's Labyrinth

Edit:
    Deadpool (that movie did its job very well)
    Paranormal Activity (first one only)
    The Usual Suspects
    one Hour Photo
    Good Will Hunting
    Last edited by sktarq; 2020-07-07 at 06:09 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988) - Terry Gilliam is a genius, and this movie is an excellent demonstration of why. I love all his films, but this one has a special place in my heart.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

22. - Top - End - #22

My favorites are

1. Jack Reacher
    2. Oceans 11
    3. Scott Pilgrim
    4. Princess Mononoke

I've basically given up on movies though. None that I'm looking forward to.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Yes, this is a very subtle way of asking for recommendations.
    So, seeing as you're using it for recommendations, I'm going to toss out some reasonings in here. Three movies you almost certainly have seen before, but just in case you haven't.

Rocky.
    Spoiler: Spoilers
    Show
    Rocky doesn't want to fight Creed; he fights in clubs for peanuts, Apollo is a world-class fighter. Rocky knows he can't win, he knows it wouldn't be much of a fight, so he doesn't want to do it at first. The promoter, Mr. Jergens, convinces him. Rocky starts to train in earnest, gets Mickey behind him, gets the city of Philadelphia behind him, he believes he has the wind at his back. And then, far and away the best scene in the movie, Rocky goes to the ring the night before. It's intimidating - a massive arena, empty except for himself and Jergens who also happens to be there. The calm before the storm. The banner of him, larger than life, has the colors wrong on his shorts. "It doesn't really matter, does it?" Jergens says. And then it really hits home, what he knew when he first turned down the fight. It's not real, it's not for him, it's a show. A spectacle. And he knows that he can't win, but he decides that all his training, all his hopes he's had the previous months, they're going to mean something. He sets a goal, he decides to go the distance, no matter what. All 15 rounds with Creed, a feat that has never been done before. He doesn't want to win, he doesn't want the belt, he doesn't want the media circus. He wants to go the distance.

And there is what sets Rocky apart. He loses. And he doesn't just lose, they don't even make a big deal about him losing. It's practically relegated to the background, with triumphant music playing over the announcement and Rocky calling for Adrian, swatting away reporters wanting to talk to him, and when Creed says there won't be a rematch, simply replies, "don't want one." Because when he went to the fight, he went in with his eyes truly open and saw the spectacle. He saw the show. Apollo coming in, fireworks blazing, dancing on his float. And Rocky rejected it, he did what he came to do, he went the distance. Everything else be damned.

If that's not a damned good resolution I don't know what is.
    I don't dislike the rest of the Rocky movies, they're fun watches, but they completely take away from the entire point of the first one. The Rocky sequels are movies. But Rocky is art.

First Blood. The unspoilered bit I said about Rocky can all be said verbatim about First Blood. There are Rambo movies, and there is First Blood. The only flaw in that movie is they didn't stick with the original ending due to test audiences, who were objectively wrong. It could have been a perfect movie. As is, it is a near-perfect movie. Stallone captured lightning in a bottle twice with those two.

Jaws. Putting aside everything great about the rest of the movie, the Indianapolis speech alone makes this one a must-watch. That has to be the best monologue in all of cinema, hands down. The shark didn't cause a national fear of the water. Robert Shaw talking for four minutes caused a national fear of the water. And the cinematography on Body is so elegantly simple - the almost painfully slow move back out of the light, the darkness of the background slowly but surely enveloping him and the audience with him, a claustrophobic feeling as the memory unfolds, until you're there in the water with Quint, feeling the fear he and the others felt as they waited without expectation of rescue, just waiting their turn. No effects, no CGI, just a subtle backing music and an acting powerhouse. Anyway, they delivered the bomb.

And gonna toss in a newer one that you probably haven't seen and absolutely should because it's fantastic:

In Bruges. Anything I can say about it could be better said by a review on YouTube titled "The Absurd Worth of Redemption." Fair warning, it spoils just about every major plot point, so absolutely do not check it out until after. But I wholly recommend checking out that review, because it was able to make me realize things that I couldn't quite put my finger on but seem so obvious after they're explained, and really brings to the forefront the beauty of the movie.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-06 at 12:41 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Re: What movies are your favorites, and what do you plan to watch?

Interstellar
    Vita è bella
    La meglio gioventù
    Last edited by SallyOsaku; 2020-08-06 at 04:11 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Other people have already mentioned most of my favorites: Princess Mononoke, Interstellar, Hot Fuzz, Princess Bride, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, Wall-E, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, etc..

Two that I haven't seen mentioned yet that are nonetheless fantastic are Secondhand Lions and Stardust.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2020-08-07 at 12:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Jaws. Putting aside everything great about the rest of the movie, the Indianapolis speech alone makes this one a must-watch.
    Yeah, that has to be one of the best scenes ever shot.

27. - Top - End - #27

GreataxeFighterGirl

So, seeing as you're using it for recommendations, I'm going to toss out some reasonings in here. Three movies you almost certainly have seen before, but just in case you haven't.
    I...actually haven't . (I did like Creed, though)

Wow. I really need to go freshen up my movie list.