New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Default Legends of GitP 5e Game

It seems like these unprecedented times have presented a unique opportunity to set up an online game using a VTT. Based on forum comments, who would your “dream team” of four PCs and a DM be, selected from among the GitP regulars, to watch a streamed game of D&D?

Note that I have no actual plans to set a game up, it’s just a thought exercise.

Here are my votes:

DM: Tanarii

Players: Segev, mgshamster, Man Over Game, Kryx (sp?)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Legends of GitP 5e Game

2d8HP might not be a player, but he should definitely feature at some point.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Better yet, two parties of GitP regulars with a common DM and co-DM, plus cameos!
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

No self pick are there?

Becasue as a DM, I'd love to have an IRL game with
    Tanarii, JNAProductions, Segev, & Quietus as my players

If it's just for watching... I may need to think a while before making an answer... so many choices

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I want Malifice as the DM (sorry to see that he's under a ban at the moment)

Players: 2d8HP, Ninja Prawn, Tanarii, Sigreid, me, and our "always a dwarf" poster whose name I need to go and find again. Have not seen him lately; he's real old school.

Yes, I am being totally selfish.

I'd also like to play with Willie the Duck, Pex, Max Wilson ... heck, most of you would be great to play with at table.

Glen Smash, Unoriginal, the list goes on and on ...
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-06-30 at 07:21 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I appreciate jaappleton's posts. I'd be curious to see how they run a character.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zhorn View Post
    No self pick are there?

Becasue as a DM, I'd love to have an IRL game with
    Tanarii, JNAProductions, Segev, & Quietus as my players

If it's just for watching... I may need to think a while before making an answer... so many choices
    I made someone's list? I am honored and humbled!

Me personally, I'm not sure who I would want to see - there are honestly so many excellent people on the forum, but I've never considered who I think would be more fun to watch game. If anything, I'm pretty greedy and would probably want to see a Westmarches style game with a rotating cast and multiple DMs. But, you know, that's definitely cheating.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBeast View Post
    It seems like these unprecedented times have presented a unique opportunity to set up an online game using a VTT. Based on forum comments, who would your “dream team” of four PCs and a DM be, selected from among the GitP regulars, to watch a streamed game of D&D?

Note that I have no actual plans to set a game up, it’s just a thought exercise.

Here are my votes:

Players: Segev, mgshamster, Man Over Game, Kryx (sp?)
    You're awesome, BurgerBeast. Appreciate you, man!

For me, I'd have to include Tawmis and Molemage. Both work hard to contribute to this community, more than most, and I couldn't wait to see that same ethic at a table. Bjarkmundur isn't around anymore, but he was sensible, earnest, hard to disagree with, a natural Paladin without the obnoxious "I know better than you" negativity. And even though MaxWilson and I have sometimes butt heads on stuff, he's always been very reasonable, and having someone who was vocal about disagreeing without trying to tilt the table is a very welcome thing. And I can't forget KOLE, Vogie, and of course BurgerBeast, but I'll just keep going on and on, so...That's my list.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Anyone but sorcerer king.

"You should just homebrew the world's tiniest violin for your bard."

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by iTreeby View Post
    Anyone but sorcerer king.
    You do not speak his name here!

They say whispering his name 3 times summons him and his hooded army of skeletons for a game of Guess Who, cursing you with the world's worst first session.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    I made someone's list?
    My selection criteria was: posters who have expressed opinions different to my own, but have been open to healthy discussion, didn't dig their heels in, and communicated back and forth to understand others' opinions while explaining their own.

Essentially I'd want a player pool that thinks differently enough from me so I cannot predict them, but respond to challenges and disagreements in a way that doesn't kill the fun.

If i were a player alongside the posters, that list would be turn on its head with a different selection:
    Any 3 of Luccan, Dork Forge, BurgerBeast, or Man_Over_Game as fellow players, I think I could easily get along with them as a team.
    MaxWilson as DM, maybe? They seem savvy enough to work a decent narrative.

Now as for a game I had no part playing in and was just watching...

JackPhoenix for DM for their clear non-nonsense stance on RAW.
    Pex, zinycor, Chaosmancer, and Talakeal for players.
    I don't know what would happen with that combination, and that's precisely why I'd want to watch. From reading their posts I have been curious on how their games run, as their styles have sounded different enough to my experiences to feel it'd be worth a watch.

Now if only someone thought I was interesting enough to have on their list
    Last edited by Zhorn; 2020-06-30 at 11:29 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

I'll echo those who say that, by and large, I'd be quite happy to play with y'all. This is a good community-yes, I disagree with some of you, and there are some jerks, but the disagreements are usually civil and the jerks are few and far between.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

I wouldn't want to DM for anyone here, as I wouldn't be able to mine the forum for ideas anymore. It's nothing personal.

I feel like every member should feature at some point as an NPC. If you want to be extra, they appear as their avatars. It would certainly make for an interesting cast.

And you would have to reference OotS at every possible opportunity.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by TigerT20 View Post
    I feel like every member should feature at some point as an NPC.
    Not sure if that would go over well. I have a habit of making halfling mafia bosses that swear a lot, to the point where my most recent one is canonically related to the last one.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-06-30 at 10:31 AM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

[...]Here are my votes:

Great suggestion!

Players: [...]mgshamster[...]

I've seen @mgshamster in PbP action, and he is really good!

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    2d8HP might not be a player, but he should definitely feature at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    [...]Players: 2d8HP

Thanks @JNAProductions and @KorvinStarmast, you're both very kind.

Ninja Prawn, Tanarii, Sigreid, me,

Good suggestions all!

and our "always a dwarf" poster whose name I need to go and find again. Have not seen him lately; he's real old school[...]

I'm guessing that you're thinking of "BRING BACK ALIGNMENT LANGUAGES!!!" @Klorox?

Yeah, he'd be a good choice.

[...]I'd also like to play with Willie the Duck, Pex, Max Wilson ... heck, most of you would be great to play with at table.

Glen Smash, Unoriginal, the list goes on and on ...

Very true!

Quote Originally Posted by iTreeby View Post
    Anyone but [unmentionable name]

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    You do not speak his name here!

They say whispering his name 3 times summons him and his hooded army of skeletons for a game of Guess Who, cursing you with the world's worst first session.

[unmentionable name might be amusing for a few minutes at the table !

But I imagine that after the dozenth time of the DM saying "Let me think about that for a minute before I respond to that...

...Oh, HELL NO
    !!! it would become tiresome and wear thin.

But I'd be very surprised if he took me up on my standard [i]"If you want me to DM all PC's are half-elf, half-orc, or human, multiclassing is allowed but other than a third level Arcane Trickster, Eldrich Knight, andPaladin PC's may only get Champion Fighter, Swashbuckler Rogue, and Thief Rogue class levels beyond second level, plus one other class that's limited to two levels, you may be a Druid/Fighter/Rogue, Wizard/Fighter/Rogue, et cetera, but you may not be a Druid/Wizard/etc cetera because headache that's why! Britain, France, Ireland, and Spain, plus parts of Germany and North Africa exist, are roughly like those historical places and your PC's may come from there, everywhere else is 'Faerie/There be Dragons' and not historical, yes you start in a tavern, look maybe you want to DM instead/i]?"

Quote Originally Posted by TigerT20 View Post
    [...]I feel like every member should feature at some point as an NPC. If you want to be extra, they appear as their avatars. It would certainly make for an interesting cast[...]

That's a lot of name level NPC's! Maybe in taverns telling tales of their adventures?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

16. - Top - End - #16

I'd definitely want MaxWilson for DM because I quite love what he's told about the set of houserules he's using and I'd be thrilled to see how it all works out in practice. Some personalities I'd be interested to see more in game would be patchyman, Moreb Benkh, ezekielraiden, etc. (the list would go on forever but those are few names I feel haven't been mentioned here) admittedly on the back of their extremely reasonable and articulate contributions to few recent threads, particularly the Martial one. People capable of producing posts of that quality would most likely also be able to express themselves, their desires, and their goals well in designing the game and thus make for an agreeable environment where a clear social contract could be articulated and everyone would be heard. They all also feel like extremely reasonable people; not sure about their thespian gifts since this is a poor medium for judging those but I'm sure they'd be able to produce a rather immersive experience.

Of course, there are lots, lots, lots of great posters on these forums and this sort of a post would never be complete no matter how long I spent writing it. I'd echo many of the names already posted in this thread but given said names have already been posted, I feel like that might not be necessary at this point. Suffice to say, users who have posted in this thread would all probably be on the list of players I'd love to watch play or play with myself.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I'm playing.

Session 1

Me: I want to climb a tree.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

18. - Top - End - #18

It's really hard to tell someone's playing style from their posting style, so take what I say here with a grain of salt and I'm probably overlooking some folks, but I feel like I'd enjoy watching or playing in a game where:

Knaight is the DM (seems to have a solid grasp of a variety of different game designs, and I expect I'd learn a lot from watching),
    Merudo is a player (some really unique and interesting mechanical ideas, lots of creativity)
    LudicSavant is a player (really great and cooperative attitude, also excellent rules knowledge and computational skills)
    Korvin Starmast is a player (old school sensibilities, seems likely to be fun to roleplay with)
    Willie the Duck is a player (grognards FTW, and he's usually pretty level-headed)
    and I'm a player (because watching people play is less fun than playing with them).

Five players is a lot but I expect Knaight can handle it. : )

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    It's really hard to tell someone's playing style from their posting style, so take what I say here with a grain of salt and I'm probably overlooking some folks, but I feel like I'd enjoy watching or playing in a game where:

Knaight is the DM (seems to have a solid grasp of a variety of different game designs, and I expect I'd learn a lot from watching),
    Merudo is a player (some really unique and interesting mechanical ideas, lots of creativity)
    LudicSavant is a player (really great and cooperative attitude, also excellent rules knowledge and computational skills)
    Korvin Starmast is a player (old school sensibilities, seems likely to be fun to roleplay with)
    Willie the Duck is a player (grognards FTW, and he's usually pretty level-headed)
    and I'm a player (because watching people play is less fun than playing with them).

Five players is a lot but I expect Knaight can handle it. : )
    would love to play with you all.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I'm playing.

Session 1

Me: I want to climb a tree.
    Me looks up in the tree and asks Pex: What do you seen from up there? Are we lost, or do you know which way we should go to find the old wizard's tower?
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-06-30 at 12:42 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Me looks up in the tree and asks Pex: What do you seen from up there? Are we lost, or do you know which way we should go to find the old wizard's tower?

Well that nailed it @KorvinStarmast, I think everyone wants you at their table now (including me).

Okay, not for 5e D&D, but as Administrator/Dungeon Master/Game Master/Keeper/Referee for other Adventure FRP games besides 5e D&D
    Jay R

Knaight

kyoryu

Mark Hall

Mordar

and

S@tanicoaldo

DM for most versions of D&D (especially 4e):
    Tanarii

DM for and/or fellow players of 5e D&D:
    DeTess

Digitalelf

FreddyNoNose

JoeJ

Klorox

KorvinStarmast
    (of course)

Ninja Prawn

90sMusic

Nupo

Rabidmuskrat

Tinkerer

YossarianLives

and

ZorroGames

Player only: (the idea of his wit on the other side of the screen scares me):
    Peelee

but really everyone mentioned on and/or posting to this thread (except [he-who-should-not-be-summoned] are excellent choices, any table with 'em is blessed!

EDIT: Since the O.P. says I'm only supposed to have four players + one DM, I'd want to limit it by generational integration, so at least one other fellow 50+ codger (who are much of my list), at least one 30 to 50 years old codger-in-training (who are most of my list), and at least one sub 30 youngster (anyone?).

And that's all four!
    Last edited by 2D8HP; 2020-06-30 at 04:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

DM candidates
    LudicSavant: takes lore and tactics seriously, great to talk with
    MaxWilson: CaW player with a deep understanding of encounter design
    Kryx: and maybe a bunch of his house rules; some of his campaign and encounter designs have been off the hook

Players
    lollerabe: fall of your chair fun to play with - makes custom songs, new voices etc.
    KorvinStormast: descriptions over mechanics; old school DnD flavour
    Moreb Benhk
    ezekielraiden: I have liked most posts by ezekielraiden
    Eldariel: much the same type of positive impression as ezekielraiden

me: I really want to be a part of this group

I would also feel comfortable playing with the above in new systems or in their home-brewed systems.
    Last edited by Skylivedk; 2020-06-30 at 03:36 PM.
    I might attack your points aggressively: nothing personal. If I call out a fallacy in your argumentation, it doesn't mean I think you are arguing in bad faith. I invite you to call out if I somehow fail to live by the Twelve Virtues of Rationality.

My favourite D&D session had 3 dice rolls. I'm currently curious to any system that has a higher amount of choices in and out of combat than 5e from the beginning of the game; especially for non-spellcasters. Please PM any recommendations.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Do I count as a regular?
    Probably not.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Do I count as a regular?
    Probably not.

@Wizard_Lizard,
    You average 2.78 posts per day, most of your recent posts have been in the 5e sub-forum, and you started ten 5e sub-forum threads.

That's a regular!

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Do I count as a regular?
    Probably not.
    FWIW, when I saw on the main screen that the most recent poster to this thread was Wizard_Lizard, I had positive mental associations with that name. I believe you must have said insightful things in other threads for me to feel that way. Off the top of my head I don't remember what kind of game you run but I for one would be happy to play with you and see what your game is like.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    @Wizard_Lizard,
    You average 2.78 posts per day, most of your recent posts have been in the 5e sub-forum, and you started ten 5e sub-forum threads.

That's a regular!
    Ayyy I nominate myself then! (As a player, don't think my DM skills are adecquate for a game of such legendary proportions)
    I think a game run by Peelee would certainly be entertaining to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    FWIW, when I saw on the main screen that the most recent poster to this thread was Wizard_Lizard, I had positive mental associations with that name. I believe you must have said insightful things in other threads for me to feel that way. Off the top of my head I don't remember what kind of game you run but I for one would be happy to play with you and see what your game is like.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Wizard_Lizard; 2020-06-30 at 04:43 PM.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

There's far too many for a single party but I'd definitely want to be in a homebrew testing group with the likes of Moxxmix, Man_Over_Game, Grod_The_Giant, Kryx, Segev, SpawnofMorbo, KorvinStarmast, Amechra, Chaosmancer...
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

This is starting to sound like a popularity contest.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    This is starting to sound like a popularity contest.
    If it is, it's a tie between Tanarii and MaxWilson

5th Edition Homebrewery

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, someone remembered me!

One person I would mention is Gorgon_Heap. He doesn't post much on the 5e forum, but I played a long-running PbP game with him and he's an excellent DM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig