This is in regards to Cale's outer plane courtroom scene, comics 1406+.

And... I just want to say that I'm disappointed. Yeah, I know Cale is not the naive do-gooder that he was when the comic started, however he's grown and seen what evil has accomplished, seen that there is more than good vs evil. He's grown.

That being said, my disappointment stems from 3rd things. First, in the Cthulu judge's words about balance and order in 1410, the argument is made about how if there is no balance, there is no order. No progression. Cale has no response to that. Like Richard, Cale has no reason to accept their point of view, or even their authority. Yes, I get that him pulling out his swords to fight his way would mirror Richard's own sentencing and would shorten this story arch.

Secondly, in 1411 the judge asks how light is defined without darkness. Cale has seen seen enough of the world to know that Good is not measured by the darkness opposing it, but by how it uplifts others.

3rd. Cale knows of the archmage's manipulations. He knew that the path before him was set out, and he went his own way once he found that out. He has no reason to dance on this court's strings. And most particularly, he's not lacking moral fiber.

The trope I detest most in fantasy and super hero comics is the villain making you choose. I get how at the start of character development that someone being manipulated into choosing who lives and who dies and feeling guilty for it because of that lack of growth is something to be considered.

But this is Cale. He's traveled with and turned this Warlock to a force for good. He should recognize that he is being manipulated by a thug. He's told in 1414 that if doesn't do evil then that everyone he has come in contact with will be purged.

Cale should be savvy enough by now to see through that manipulation. He should know that if anyone is purged, that purging is not on his shoulders. It is on the agents of the court seeking to restore balance "their way".

Honestly, him embarking on a quest to rally allies against the denizens of the Plane of Suck would be a far better story than Cale trying, and probably failing, to do evil.

OK, rant over.