New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default A Gunslinger-like Archetype for Artificer?

So recently I found the Gunslinger Archetype for the fighter that Critical Role used for Percy. I enjoy it. However, I always thought that the artificer should have gained some kind of Gunslinger-esk archetype (like the Gunsmith in the UA). I was curious what your thoughts about this are, and if the Artificer should be the one to have some kind of Firearm usage.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: A Gunslinger-like Archetype for Artificer?

It already does its call artillerist. It has the option rule where the class has prof with firearms if the DM allows them. Also your arcane turret can be a gun.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

True, but the Artillerist also focuses on wands, not necessarily guns or firearms. And the cannon's actual "Attacks" are based on force damage and fire damage. I'm talking about an archetype that allows the artificer to craft all manner of firearms (similar to the ones found in the Gunslinger Archetype), and be able to modify and enhance those said weapons. Plus, the artificer can only attack once on his/her turn (not including the cannon), so there really isn't any means of being a "gunslinger" in the class.

4. - Top - End - #4

Kobold

Artificers have two attacks but to get the second attack the weapon needs to be magic. Also there is a infusion that magically reloads your loading weapon be it a crossbow or firearm.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Weapon Smith is pretty good with guns. They get extra attack, and if you use a magic gun, they can sun int for dex for the attack and damage. You also get 2 infusions that make a weapon (read, your fun) magical. As previously noted one even causes the gun to reload itself, allowing you to take advantage of extra attack.

Make the character a Gnome and you can ride your steal defender.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Throne12 View Post
    Artificers have two attacks but to get the second attack the weapon needs to be magic. Also there is a infusion that magically reloads your loading weapon be it a crossbow or firearm.
    Your looking at the UA dude
    Current Character(s):
    Vincent Longshadow - College of Whispers Half Elf Bard/Blackguard
    Umbero Falone - Swashbuckler Half-Elf Rogue

Retired Characters:
    The Third - Awakened Human Mystic
    Wade Way - College of Lore Tiefling Bard
    Dag Cannith - Armorer High Elf Artificer

7. - Top - End - #7
    Closed Account

BlackDragon

An Artillerist turns a wand or staff into a magical firearm.
    The point of the Artificer, per Keith Baker, is to keep the mechanics of the spell, (range, damage dice, etc), but customize the visual effects to fit one's theme.

Casting Magic Stone, could re-skinned as loading a round into the chamber of your elemental scattergun. The Catapult spell could be the Artificer calling upon mystical pacts to supercharge the gun with power from the Elemental plane of Air.
    Firebolt can be an incendiary round.

New mechanics are fine, but 3rd party stuff and frankly even U/A articles can disrupt the mechanical Ecosystem of 5e.

It is safer, and in some ways, more creative to take what is already tried and true mechanically, and let your imagination go from there.
    Last edited by Satori01; 2020-07-04 at 09:41 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by WadeWay33 View Post
    Your looking at the UA dude
    Your right I for got they took that out in the published version. My bad.

On a side note I've played a EB focused warlock as a sniper with a magical rifle. Also when I'm running a game I have firearms in one of my campaigns and I just reskined crossbows as different firearms and called it a day.
    Last edited by Throne12; 2020-07-03 at 09:47 PM.