New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: help shopping

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default help shopping

hey guys! my group is finally starting a new game (online of course) and im finally getting to play a character i've been wanting to for a while now: a yin-yang, life-death mage!

we're playing in pathfinder, w/ 3.5 material allowed. starting at 5th level. im going incanter from spheres of power. i have all my skill points spent, all my talents picked, stats set all i need is to shop...

which is where i get stuck every time! what items are good? what items are fun? do i spend all my wealth on raw numbers? are there any particularly fun items to grab?
    something i've thought about (for MUCH in the future if the DM approves) is an item to get the wraith form and possession abilities from that class (wraith)? is there precedent for an item that GRANTS class features?

any/all items are fair game, as long as i can source it. standard WBL (10.5 k for level 5 iirc)

thanks for any/all help

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: help shopping

Get extra dimensional storage and look into Shax's Handy Haversack (sorry can't provide link)
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by el minster View Post
    Get extra dimensional storage and look into Shax's Handy Haversack (sorry can't provide link)
    Shax can help.

So... budget is 10,500 GP?

Hmm. Guess I'd start with a +1 weapon (2,300-ish GP), +1 armor (+1,150-ish GP)... about 7,000 GP left over. Well, the full Type I Haversack is 6,000 GP, but I'd start with an empty Haversack, cherry-pick 500-1,000 GP of the best Type I items, and then spend about 3,000 on low-cost high-impact magic items (mostly from the MIC).

For example, on my spellcasters I like to grab Gloves of the Starry Sky (1,100 GP, MIC), although Arcanist's Gloves (500 GP, MIC) are cheaper. Talisman of the Disk (500 GP, MIC) and Troll Gut Rope (500 GP, MIC) have a lot of utility.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

For 3.5 material, the lists at the back of the Magic Item Compendium (p.235-265) are a good place to start looking, they have all the MIC and DMG items listed by price, which makes it easy to find stuff you can afford (the Necessary Magic Items Doctor Despair linked to are mostly out of your price range at level 5).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyre_Lord View Post
    hey guys! my group is finally starting a new game (online of course) and im finally getting to play a character i've been wanting to for a while now: a yin-yang, life-death mage!

we're playing in pathfinder, w/ 3.5 material allowed. starting at 5th level. im going incanter from spheres of power. i have all my skill points spent, all my talents picked, stats set all i need is to shop...

which is where i get stuck every time! what items are good? what items are fun? do i spend all my wealth on raw numbers? are there any particularly fun items to grab?
    something i've thought about (for MUCH in the future if the DM approves) is an item to get the wraith form and possession abilities from that class (wraith)? is there precedent for an item that GRANTS class features?

any/all items are fair game, as long as i can source it. standard WBL (10.5 k for level 5 iirc)

thanks for any/all help
    Check it. Also this one.

Shax got linked above as well.

Here too.

Personally I think Anklet of Translocation is the best item in the game, followed by a Wand of Mount. WoM makes you capable of avoiding most traps by just having a horse walk in front, which lasts two hours per casting and is dirt cheap. A Drow Insignia item of Heart of Water gets you 5 hours of water breathing and a swift action Freedom of Movement, which is amazing. Get grappled, immediately free yourself.

After those are done look through the links above, they list bargain items and needed items.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2020-07-04 at 04:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

sweet thanks guys!