New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Low-level Cleric Advice Thread

I'm starting a cleric off at low levels(just made level three) and I'm looking around for good feats to take.

I know that divine metamagic is pretty much the be all end all of clerical feats, but my DM is scared of things he deems powerful(he banned the warlock ) and the typical solution(talk it over with your dm) isn't available in this case.

So what I'm asking for is what other feats are good ones for clerics to take?
    Last edited by skywalker; 2007-10-31 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Change in Topic
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Good Feats for Clerics other than Divinve Metamagic?

A few ideas:

Rapid Metabolism (Psionic, in SRD)
    Extra Turning
    Divine Might
    Divine Vengeance

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Probably won't help much, but if your DM banned warlock on the basis of being too powerful, he has a really skewed perception of what powerful is, and its highly probable that you could slip in DMM under the radar. Let me geuss, he thinks wizards are crappy because they're squishy, right?

Anyway, what are you looking to do? If you want to be a Mellee CoDZilla type, fighter type feats are good. Metamagic is good for any full spellcaster, and since you are just barely able to cast 2nd level spells, try Touch of Healing to celebrate. This really helps with the brunt of out of combat healing, especially when combined with the Vigor spells from the Spell Compendium.
    Billy was a chemist's son,
    Now Billy is no more.
    What Billy thought was H2O
    Was H2SO4

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Personally, provided you have a decent charisma and aren't aiming for any other Divine feat, I prefer Sacred Boost from Complete Divine over Touch of Healing. Touch of Healing is pretty situational, but Sacred Boost will be useful if you end fights with people wounded, even just a little.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

If you're a warrior cleric, Power Attack is pretty valuable (although useless at level 1).

Divine Spell Power is an oft-overlooked way for a high-Charisma cleric to increase caster level.

Metamagic feats can be good too; I reccomend Smiting Spell at level 3, since the only other good one usable at this level is Extend Spell, and it'd be fairly useless at this level.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGuy

Melee - power attack and similar feats

If you know you are fighting against undead, there is a feat that you spend an extra turn attempt any undead you turn are destroyed instead of turned even if they have enough HD to not be destroyed.

There are also feats that allow you to turn other critters, outsiders and elementals and such. if you are healing and not doing alot of turning, Sacred boost is good.

Domain spotinaiaty is a great feat, and depending on your doman you can get something like converting prepared spells to say heal/teleport/implosian....

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Power Attack is a given.

Scribe Scroll is a good feat to have if you're given time to craft.

Knock-down is great if you can spare three feats (probably not likely, but maybe worth mentioning, no?)

Standard Melee feats (Leap Attack, Shock Trooper) are good.

Holy Warrior is good at higher levels, especially for Archer-types (if you're going that way)

Eschew Materials/Somatic Weaponry depending on how strict your DM is.

Touch of Healing is nice if your party expects you to keep them healed and you expect spells to spare afterward.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temp View Post
    Power Attack is a given.

Scribe Scroll is a good feat to have if you're given time to craft.

Knock-down is great if you can spare three feats (probably not likely, but maybe worth mentioning, no?)

Standard Melee feats (Leap Attack, Shock Trooper) are good.

Holy Warrior is good at higher levels, especially for Archer-types (if you're going that way)

Eschew Materials/Somatic Weaponry depending on how strict your DM is.

Touch of Healing is nice if your party expects you to keep them healed and you expect spells to spare afterward.
    Where is holy warrior and touch of healing?

Also, where is Sacred Boost (earlier post)?

Finally, just an FYI, the vigor spells are also in Cdivine, I believe. (its ethier that or Cadventurer)

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

sacred boost is in Complete Divine.

the Vigor spells are also in the spell compendium.

10. - Top - End - #10

The PHB2 has a feat chain that, among other things, gives you new uses for Turn attempts.

11. - Top - End - #11

Okay, first off, you can't blame your DM for getting rid of Divine Metamagic (it's really abusable). I ban it in my own games, and I allow a pretty high level of power from the players. Heck, CORE ONLY you're already just about the best already. There really isn't any reason for him to have banned the Warlock though

Complete Champion gives a few good options, including things like Touch of Healing (makes out of combat healing more affordable, allowing you to heal allies up to half total hp for free with no limit, AND giving you +1 CL for healing spells), and Holy Warrior (A reserve feat that gives you a bonus to damage based on the level of the spell kept in reserve).

There's also Divine Spell Power (Complete Divine), Power Attack (PHB), Elder Giant Magic (Secrets of Xen'drik), Extra Turning (PHB), Scribe Scroll (PHB), Knowledge Devotion (Complete Champion), Law Devotion (Complete Champion) to name a few. Smiting Spell, Reach Spell, Silent Spell, Quicken Spell, and other metamagics are all useful for obvious reasons.

Extra Turning is really great. Lots of cleric builds take it multiple times. It's very useful when you have things like Law Devotion eating up tons of turns.

Also, DON'T overlook Elder Giant Magic! It will give you +3 CL if you take a couple extra rounds casting, which is great for spells you're casting out of combat.
    Last edited by OneWinged4ngel; 2007-10-29 at 02:26 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I like Mobile Spellcaster for clerics.
    It helps make up for the touch range of some nice spells (including healing), as well as for any armor penalty to movement.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Craft Wondrous Item is good for making money and turning out some of the basic stuff your party will need if your DM is stingy on the PC specific loot.

Eschew Materials/Somatic Casting have already been said.

Extend spell is great and not just for combat buffs.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    I like Mobile Spellcaster for clerics.
    It helps make up for the touch range of some nice spells (including healing), as well as for any armor penalty to movement.
    Even I haven't heard of that feat. What's it from?

(Seriously, people, providing sources makes everything soooooo much easier for everyone, and it takes you a coupla words. Come on)
    Last edited by OneWinged4ngel; 2007-10-29 at 06:45 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Complete Adventurer. (best sourcebook as far as I'm concerned, but I'm biased) With a DC 20+spell level check, take a standard action to move and cast a standard action spell. You can take a higher DC to cast defensively, but you'll still provoke via the movement (unless you get tumble).

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Complete Adventurer. (best sourcebook as far as I'm concerned, but I'm biased) With a DC 20+spell level check, take a standard action to move and cast a standard action spell. You can take a higher DC to cast defensively, but you'll still provoke via the movement (unless you get tumble).
    Huh, can't believe I never noticed that.

So if I understand this right, you can double your move speed (or use any more esoteric move actions should you need to for whatever reason) and still cast. Way to screw the melee men even more. Now they're going to have way more trouble getting a charge off =P
    Last edited by OneWinged4ngel; 2007-10-29 at 07:58 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Divine Defiance from the Fiendish Codex II (The Hells one)

Lets you spend a turn attempt to counter an enemies spell as an immediate action. I believe you need to actually have something to counter it with though (but keep dispel magic memorized at all times)

I'm about to start playing a cleric that has this feat. I think it will come in handy.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I don't know what everyone else thinks about this, but depending on how good your domain spells are, I like Domain Spontaneity from Complete Divine...you pick a domain when you take the feat, and then you can blow a turning check to be able to spontaneously cast that domain's spells in the same way you would spontaneously cast Cure/Inflict spells. Good luck
    How are you Gentlemen?

All your base are belong to

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, yeah, I never said Divine Metamagic wasn't overpowered, I just expected to get 30 posts saying "divine metamagic" if I didn't specify.

It is in fact a warrior, a cleric of Kord, no less, and so I am looking into more melee feats. Extra turning and power attack were my level 1 feats, they are nice feats.

The craft feats aren't going to come into play, my dm's grasp of the rules isn't strong enough for that. Eschew materials also probably won't come into play. Are metamagic feats that good without Divine Metamagic?

How high a charisma do you need for divine spell power?

I'm a devotee of the OW4 philosophy that healing is best done out of combat(which really, really pisses my party members off) so a wand of lesser vigor is never leaving his belt.

Domain spontaneity seems nice, my domains are strength and luck, some of those spells would be nice to cast more than once per day.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    Hey, yeah, I never said Divine Metamagic wasn't overpowered, I just expected to get 30 posts saying "divine metamagic" if I didn't specify.

It is in fact a warrior, a cleric of Kord, no less, and so I am looking into more melee feats. Extra turning and power attack were my level 1 feats, they are nice feats.

The craft feats aren't going to come into play, my dm's grasp of the rules isn't strong enough for that. Eschew materials also probably won't come into play. Are metamagic feats that good without Divine Metamagic?

How high a charisma do you need for divine spell power?

I'm a devotee of the OW4 philosophy that healing is best done out of combat(which really, really pisses my party members off) so a wand of lesser vigor is never leaving his belt.

Domain spontaneity seems nice, my domains are strength and luck, some of those spells would be nice to cast more than once per day.
    Well, there ARE good ways to heal IN combat, if you happen to have them... it's just not a totally necessary party role. Healing Belt at low levels, Heal whenever you have it, and Greater Healing Armor Infusion from the artificer at low levels are all great (particularly greater healing armor, clocking in at 6d8+30 hp healing as swift *or free* actions for 50gp at level 3). And of course, all those swift/immediate ones, like Close Wounds.
    Last edited by OneWinged4ngel; 2007-10-29 at 01:05 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Augmented Healing will get you a lot more bang for your buck. It makes cure light wounds (mass) into a pretty decent nova of positive energy.

Since you are down with the Brawler, and you already have Power Attack and Extra Turning, look into Divine Might, from Complete Warrior I'm pretty sure. It adds Cha bonus to damage at the cost of a turn attempt. If your cha bonus is decent, that can be worth it. It is of note that it carries that damage over for all attacks in a round, so if you can can pull off itatives (Divine Power) and other bonus attacks (Haste/Rightous Wrath of the Faithful), you get more mileage out of each turn attempt spent.

Divine Spell Power (Complete Divine) allows you to make a turn attempt with a special +3 bonus. You add your turning level adjustment to your caster level for a spell you cast that round. With buffs (cha bumps, circlet of persuasion, rod of defiance, etc) you can make it so that you average a +12 or so on the check. That means you get CL+1 at least automatically, up to +4 with a roll of 9 or higher. This combines with some cheese such as orange ioun stone (DMG), bead of karma(DMG), and other +CL modifiers to allow medium level clerics to do some pretty significant buffing (such as CL 20 Greater Magic Weapon(+5) or Magic Vestiments(+5) at about 12th level) or significant encounter ending (CL 20+ Holy Word at level 13 isn't hard, and completely ends anything that isn't good with less than 15-17 HD or so).

Domain Spontinaity (Complete Divine) works well with your Str domain, as you can cast Enlarge Person more than once a day. Its also really good for clerics with travel domain, since they can then cast fly or dim door multiple times, but you don't have that one. Luck Domain, not so much on the spells.

Also look into the Domain Devotion feats from Complete Champion. They do all kinds of useful stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

So.... how did you end up with two feats at level one as a cleric? Kord doesn't have any domains which grant free feats.. oh..wait, scrub that, you must have a flaw I suppose..

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daggaz View Post
    So.... how did you end up with two feats at level one as a cleric? Kord doesn't have any domains which grant free feats.. oh..wait, scrub that, you must have a flaw I suppose..
    Probably human? Kord is a human god, therefore it wouldn't be an off-base assumption. Last time I checked, us humans get an extra feat at first level. I picked Improved Initiative. Keeps the ninja-posters away!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daggaz View Post
    By being human?

Divine Spell Power (Complete Divine) isn't really useful unless you can reliably score at least a 13 with a Charisma check, so it may not be the best choice for you.

Cleave isn't a bad feat at low levels, especially combined with the Strength domain's granted power.

Divine Might (Complete Warrior) will let you expend a turn attempt to add your Charisma bonus to damage for a round, which could be useful if you have more than 14 Charisma.

Touch of Healing (Complete Champion) is good, but I have the feeling your DM won't allow it, if he banned the warlock.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OneWinged4ngel View Post
    Well, there ARE good ways to heal IN combat, if you happen to have them... it's just not a totally necessary party role. Healing Belt at low levels, Heal whenever you have it, and Greater Healing Armor Infusion from the artificer at low levels are all great (particularly greater healing armor, clocking in at 6d8+30 hp healing as swift *or free* actions for 50gp at level 3). And of course, all those swift/immediate ones, like Close Wounds.
    My compy died while I was responding last night.

Unfortunately, and at the risk of sounding like I just come here to complain, my DM has a poor grasp on the wealth by level rules, such that I can choose between a healing belt or a wand of lesser vigor(at level 3). Further, I'm the only person who wants to play an artificer, and was talked out of that so the party would have more melee characters. Those others I'm totally game for, they're just a bit far off.

I'm slowly going through everything mentioned in this thread to see which ones I like, thanks for everything to everyone, just haven't had the time to say, "oh, hey, yeah, that one is the one for me."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'd actually suggest looking ahead with this character towards a prestige class, and picking a prereq feat for him/her now. With potentially only one more feat slot to take care of such things, now is the time to plan this move.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Cleave isn't a bad feat at low levels, especially combined with the Strength domain's granted power.
    a High Cha and Great Cleave(age) will get you further
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Unfortunately, and at the risk of sounding like I just come here to complain, my DM has a poor grasp on the wealth by level rules, such that I can choose between a healing belt or a wand of lesser vigor(at level 3).
    Definitely go for Touch of Healing then. The main drawback with using wands for out-of-combat healing is that it costs money, and if the DM is stingy with wealth-by-level, this'll cut into your equipment budget.

Besides, there's something pretty cool about being able to heal wounded people all day long at will. Kind of makes you into the ultimate battlefield medic.

Otherwise, as Toliudar says, look for a prestige class you want and take a feat for that.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    a High Cha and Great Cleave(age) will get you further
    You should be shot for that pun....several times.

There aren't too many good martial cleric pclasses in Complete Divine. Lots of good caster ones, but not so many martial ones that advance spellcasting. That said, your BAB is irrelivent if you cast Divine Powah, but that shouldn't be an everyday occurance. I don't have Complete Champion, however I hear there is some good stuff in there. Something like Ordained Champion maybe? I haven't actually seen the class, but I hear good things. Worth a look at least.

You'll get more use out of the wand of lesser vigor than the belt of healing, at your level. By the time you run out of charges, you should be high enough level that you can get more wands, or get several belts of healing to trade out and heal ooc with.

As another alternative to either, buy or craft Pearls of Power 1. They are 1000 g each, and you can cast and call back a single lesser vigor multiple times out of combat. Crafting 5 costs 2500g, 100xp and a single week. The DMG says that the CL to craft a PoP is 17 for all of them, but that's just stupid. PoP1s would not exist, because what caster at 17th level is worried about running out of 1st level spells? A good rule of thumb would be the caster level needed to cast a given spell level, (1st for 1st level, 3rd for 2nd level, 5th for 3rd level, etc) or that level +1 or 2 (2nd or 3rd for 1st level, 4th or 5th for 2nd level, etc). (This is houserule territory, but not a HUGE rules rewrite)

The nice thing about PoPs is they use your caster level, so while a wand of lesser vigor would heal 11, a PoP recalled lesser vigor would heal 16 by CL5. Plus, since its a daily renewable resource like spells, you can burn all of your pearls at the end of each day for supplimental healing. You can also hand them out to the wizard or other prepared caster for passing out daily buffs (like Ectoplasmic Armor for +9 AC vs incorp touchs)

As a prepared caster, you can NEVER have too many Pearls of Power. Ever.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2007-10-31 at 07:45 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, okay, after receiving advice pertaining to PRCs, I am now re-casting this thread as an open call for PRC suggestions for a:

neutral good human cleric of Kord with all stats above 12, and an eye for keeping the power level out of the stratosphere.

I will summarily rename the thread to something more appropriate.