New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default strict sunlight sensitivity?

Sunlight sensitivity: You have disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.

How strictly do you rule direct sunlight? They're OK on overcast days. And indoors, as long as they don't cross that beam of sunlight coming in the window. What about when a cloud passes over the sun for a minute? When both they and their target are standing under an overhang?

"I rolled a 19 on my stealth, hiding under the rock outcropping. I aim my hand crossbow at him. When he steps into shade, I shoot."

2. - Top - End - #2

Goblin

Default Re: strict sunlight sensitivity?

Quote Originally Posted by Samayu View Post
    Sunlight sensitivity: You have disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.

How strictly do you rule direct sunlight? They're OK on overcast days. And indoors, as long as they don't cross that beam of sunlight coming in the window. What about when a cloud passes over the sun for a minute? When both they and their target are standing under an overhang?

"I rolled a 19 on my stealth, hiding under the rock outcropping. I aim my hand crossbow at him. When he steps into shade, I shoot."
    Sunlight Sensitivity is reflective of the subterranean nature of the races it is attached to. Talk to your DM about how this functions in/impacts his/her game.

In my games?
    - How strictly do you rule direct sunlight?
    In some encounters, I hand wave it; in others, I design complex risk/reward mazes based around it.
    - What about when a cloud passes over the sun for a minute?
    I don't view them as Vampires that are burned by light, but more like mole people squinting in the unforgiving sun. Sweet reprieve from the debilitating glare for 10 rounds (if I'm choosing to track/integrate weather in this hypothetical campaign)

3. - Top - End - #3

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I'm the DM, and one of my players is making a drow. Much of my campaign will be above ground. I'd like to let the player know what to expect, so he doesn't get all but I'm under a tree, and my target has a parasol... right in the middle of a combat. I'm sure he'll expect it to be as close to the RAW as possible.

IMO, a sunny day would be irritating. A bright overcast day uncomfortable, while a dark overcast day tolerable. But I would be inclined to give the penalty on a sunny day, regardless of temporary cloud cover or localized shade.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

So work out what it means in terms of fun and balance.

Drow get 120ft darkvision. Will they be able to get full advantage out of this? What level of sunlight sensitivity is appropriate to be balanced against superior darkvision? The amount will be campaign dependant.

One thing I would make sure of is that there is scope to make tactical use of light and shadow. Bright spots should be avoided, moving in the shadows encouraged. It just adds richness and depth.

5. - Top - End - #5

I think it's up to the DM to explain the how sunlight sensitivity works in their campaign to any player considering a Drow, Kobold or other sunlight sensitive race. And, more importantly, how much time the campaign is likely to spend in conditions that would trigger it.

If the DM tells the player that the campaign is mostly going to be outdoors and primarily during the day and they still choose a sunlight sensitive race, then that's on the player.

I know plenty of players that took advantage of low-light conditions for campaigns such as Dungeon of the Mad Mage, Out of the Abyss and Curse of Strahd. The Kobolds, Drow and Gloomstalkers came crawling out of the woodwork. They were smart enough to take advantage of it when the campaign benefited them. They can be smart enough to avoid it for a sunny, outdoor environment.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

How strictly are you going to be enforcing penalties for non-darkvision characters in low light conditions? Are moonlit nights considered darkness? Use the frequency you would impose penalties on others as a guide for what you would impose on the drow.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

If it's light enough for Rutger Hauer to transform from a wolf, it's light enough to hurt the drow's eyes. I've always had problems with players taking creatures with disadvantages then trying to ignore the disadvantages. Happened enough times I tend to enforce the rules pretty heavily.
    We are not contractually tied down to reality; &&there is no sanity clause. So if you feel your &&train of thought is going to the places where the &&screaming is too loud, remember there is always &&madness. Madness is the emergency exit

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

For me, it depends on why they have it. If they have it as a result of something like PC Vampirism, I'd be more attentive of it and have it actively hinder them. If it's because of their published race, I typically handwave it entirely. For Drow, it's to counteract their 120-ft Darkvision, but having played a Twilight Cleric with unlimited darkvision, expanded range on Darkvision isn't powerful enough to warrant any kind of buff. For Kobolds, it's meant to be balanced by Pack Tactics, but they really get stomped into the dust statistically (they get a net 0 in stat bonuses, rather than +3 or even +1 for races with a negative modifier, their only other defining trait is using your entire action economy to have a 10 ft radius Help action, which is absolute trash, especially compared to their biggest competitor, Goblins, getting Nimble Escape and Fury of the Small. Pack Tactics barely allows them to break even if you take away Sunlight Sensitivity and their Str penalty).
    "I may be a Hobgoblin, but the real mythical creature I'm playing is an Ethical Billionaire"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I would say that it has to be direct sunlight to count. I used to think a lightly overcast day would also count, but then I realized that Curse of Strahd could be considered lightly overcast or more constantly and there is never enough sunlight to trigger sensitivities.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

cool Re: strict sunlight sensitivity?

In the one game I play as a Kobold with another player (Tribes-kin). The DM already has performance anxiety, and instead of getting bogged down with rules, and having him track things such as the sunlight conditions for us. Each new adventuring day, where we find ourselves outside. I just simply ask, "What's the weather like?" If he says, sunny no clouds. I roll the disadvantage. If he says anything else, we don't roll disadvantage.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

92% of forum users no longer put made-up statistics in their signatures. If you're part of the 8% who still do, copy and paste this into your signature.

11. - Top - End - #11

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroanswer View Post
    How strictly are you going to be enforcing penalties for non-darkvision characters in low light conditions? Are moonlit nights considered darkness? Use the frequency you would impose penalties on others as a guide for what you would impose on the drow.
    This is a good point. However, since I want to impose sunlight penalties at least occasionally, for RP purposes, this means i have to step up the penalties for darkness.

12. - Top - End - #12

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutTrooper View Post
    In the one game I play as a Kobold with another player (Tribes-kin). The DM already has performance anxiety, and instead of getting bogged down with rules, and having him track things such as the sunlight conditions for us. Each new adventuring day, where we find ourselves outside. I just simply ask, "What's the weather like?" If he says, sunny no clouds. I roll the disadvantage. If he says anything else, we don't roll disadvantage.
    This sounds pretty fair. I'll just have to tell the guy that localized shade doesn't help. It's bright out!
    Last edited by Samayu; 2020-07-07 at 08:36 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

If you are looking for interpretations, I tend to play it as written.

"Sunlight sensitivity: You have disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight."

No direct sunlight, no disadvantage. However, if they are under a tree trying to look across a brightly lit meadow at a target standing under another tree then I might invoke sunlight sensitivity since they are forced to look through the bright area. On the other hand, if the target was under trees on the same side of the meadow I wouldn't invoke it even if there were occasional patches of sunlight poking through. If the sun is covered by cloud. No disadvantage. RAW, the only lighting condition that has an impact is direct sunlight. Just being really bright may or may not be uncomfortable but according to the rules it should not impact their ability to see.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
    If you are looking for interpretations, I tend to play it as written.

"Sunlight sensitivity: You have disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight."

No direct sunlight, no disadvantage. However, if they are under a tree trying to look across a brightly lit meadow at a target standing under another tree then I might invoke sunlight sensitivity since they are forced to look through the bright area. On the other hand, if the target was under trees on the same side of the meadow I wouldn't invoke it even if there were occasional patches of sunlight poking through. If the sun is covered by cloud. No disadvantage. RAW, the only lighting condition that has an impact is direct sunlight. Just being really bright may or may not be uncomfortable but according to the rules it should not impact their ability to see.
    I concur.

It's not just bright light, not just sunlight, but only specifically direct sunlight which causes mechanical penalties. I'd describe diffuse sunlight as "uncomfortably bright" for a drow or kobold, and encourage them to roleplay the same discomfort you feel after getting your pupils dilated, but being under a mostly-grey sky with patches of blue is not uncomfortable even with delayed pupils and definitely would not make me impose disadvantage on attacks or perception.

Quote Originally Posted by Samayu View Post
    Sounds reasonable. If the geometry is the way I'm imagining in my head, fairly close range (40 yards or less) and a good angle, I'd allow it.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2020-07-07 at 09:23 PM.