New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Horror in the Small Valley ic

Snowfang is excited. This is it, now he will prpve himself as a worthy defender. And if it means he has to adress big group of city dwellers...than that is what will be done.
    He coughs in order to grab the attention of his allies.

The undead are a blight on the world, I am very happy that I got the opportunity to fight and destroy them. If what you say is true, we will need more information about them he stops to rub the thick fur of the only clothing article on his upper body, a brown-grey-white vest of some sort.
    If we wish to hunt these ghouls, this might be of some use. The shamans of the mountain made it so whoever wears it carries the blessing of the predator while hunting down the living dead, and therefore becomes unnoticable for them. If. You would like me to take the front lines and scout forward, I would do so gladly

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

"That's useful in the extreme!" Aranyel says. "Does it work absolutely, or is there a chance the undead will see you anyway? And may I ask, does the invisibility fade if you attack them?"
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Snowfang ponders the question for a moment

While I can hide from their senses without any real limits, if I would step into a hunting trap, for example, it would still activate. The magic doesnt bend the world, it simply seperates my soul from the way they see the world. For this reasons, touching or striking them would connect me back to the world and the hiding would be over.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

After an hour or two, the Baron dismisses the soldiers and most of them start to make their way back to their beds. Riders patrol the woods and some guards remain alert with lanterns on.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-08-05 at 05:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"That is useful when tracking undead or getting the drop on them. Let's make sure the camp is safe before we go on a patrol."

Lief looks at Snowfang and Sasha.

"Like I asked earlier, have we missed anything while we are away from camp?"

He gestures to Anri, Aranyel and himself.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2020-08-06 at 10:08 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Colossus in the Playground

We're being watched, Sasha replies. Someone or something is scrying upon at least one of the soldiers in this force.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

"That's not good," Aranyel mutters. He tries to think of any hints that the burghers were experiencing the problem too. "How did you find out?"

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #68

The soldier in question was having nightmares-probably a bit of sensitivity to magical doings-and heard the casting in them, Sasha replies. Without someone else to check for sure for the scrying sensor or traces of divination, we can't know for sure if I'm right, or, more importantly, if anyone else is being watched. But at least we know this much.

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #69

AssassinGuy

Lief turns to Aranyel.

"Can you get rid of the effect?"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    The soldier in question was having nightmares-probably a bit of sensitivity to magical doings-and heard the casting in them, Sasha replies.
    "Good fortune for us, then. We could have been completely blindsided."

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Lief turns to Aranyel. "Can you get rid of the effect?"
    "If I know who or what to target, I think I can, yes. I certainly have the best chance of it among this group. Did the soldier -- who was it, by the way? -- have an aura, or was the magic on an item they carried?"

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #71

Sasha gives the soldier's name.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Not sure if it was ever given to me, but presumably Sasha would know.

She then says I've no way of seeing auras, so I can't say.

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #72

AssassinGuy

"Then we need to confirm it. Let's take care of the soldier's ailments before we go on our patrol."

Lief leads the group to the soldier whose name Sasha utters.

"Sorry for disturbing your rest, soldier. But Sasha mentioned that you are experiencing nightmares as of late."

13. - Top - End - #73

ElfWarriorGuy

He was awake, one of the soldiers who were patrolling the camp.
    "Yes, yes, but please don't let the others know. I've told her everything I could remember, lord Fyodor decided to split the army so we could lose the spy." He sounds sorry, like he feels he's getting in the way of the campaign.

14. - Top - End - #74

AssassinGuy

Lief looks at Aranyel for lead, seeing this matter is his expertise.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

The priest mutters something magical and peers intently at the young soldier, belatedly directing him, "Just try to relax. You won't feel anything from this process."

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    I intend to use detect magic to see whether the person or something on/near him is enchanted. If I do find anything and it might be dispellable, I'm willing to spend up to three dispel attempts to remove it, with another detect after the first and second to see if it's gone. That puts me out of detects, so if the first two dispels don't work, I won't know whether the third does ...

dispel magic 1, CL check (d20+12)[19] against 11+opponent's CL
    dispel 2, (d20+12)[24]
    dispel 3, (d20+12)[14]

Please let me know how many dispels and detects I use up before the beacon-mark disappears!

Current games list

16. - Top - End - #76

ElfWarriorGuy

After detecting magic, Aranyel notices that the spellcaster isn't scrying right now, therefore the spell can't be dispelled. By the reminiscent aura left in the third, it's a reasonable thing to assume that the object have been targeted daily.

I am okay with assuming that Sasha and Snowfang did their research during the day and found out three or four other random items some soldiers seem to have won in surprisingly easy bets or as mysterious gifts.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Aranyel shakes his head. "The objects aren't enchanted per se, they're just familiar enough to benefit scrying. That means there's nothing to dispel. A high-potency wizard could probably use the familiarity in some sort of distant attack, but that's well beyond what I can do. Best just to toss the items in a ditch or lock them in a dark box, something like that."

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #78

ElfWarriorGuy

"The baron ordered us to stay behind for a while to mislead the spy, m'lord." The lad adds. "About fifteen men to make it look like we're all waiting a few more days befote crossing the Heights."

19. - Top - End - #79

AssassinGuy

Lief nods as Aranyel reveals that he cannot do more and the soldier tells the group that he has his orders.

"Good man. We will leave you to resume your duties. You are doing a good job so far."

The masked councilor steers the group far away from the lad and to their horses. (If everyone is fine with me moving us forward.)

"Let's get our patrol done then."

Once the group is distance away from the camp, he motions them to stop their horses, taking a note that he stowed away and showing it to the others.

"Baron's orders on the double. We are to keep it as covert as possible. Must be referring to the undead somehow. Snowfang, you want to scout ahead? We could use your tracking skills now."
    Last edited by Yas392; 2020-08-17 at 06:20 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Snowfang nods and his bare-tooth grin flashes across his face for a split second. And then the smile turns into a beak, and a white-feathered hawk shoots into the sky, going back and forth between the team and the front of the forest, looking for any signs of danger. Sometimes returning as a humanoid, sometimes as a wolf or a small bear, and sometimes as a bird, but always on the lookout.

Spoiler: Survival check + spot check
    Show

(1d20+11)[13] - Survival
    (1d20+6)[14] - spot

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Once the group is distance away from the camp, Lief motions them to stop their horses, taking a note that he stowed away and showing it to the others.

"Baron's orders on the double. We are to keep it as covert as possible."
    Aranyel nods, not overly dismayed at the prospect of one sleepless night -- particularly not when undead are about (who'd be able to sleep anyhow?). "To Sir Lawrence, then."

Current games list

22. - Top - End - #82

ElfWarriorGuy

From the spot where Lief turned them, Snowfang could find two trails in the woods. The first actually leads back, to a hiding spot where the ghouls could see the camp at a safe distance. There were bones in the floor, rotten flesh buried under the ground and signs of horses in this hiding spot. From there they rode straight east to the Heights. The second trail just goes back to the Heights, but not the same way.

At some point the trail goes northeast and separates itself from the road. It still leads to the Heights, as the terrain is slowly getting rough and rocky, but it seems like the ghouls crossed the Heights by some other secret route that is not the road.

Sir Lawrence and the army are taking the road, Lawrence is a day ahead of the army.

The group gets half a day ahead of the army before having to choose: follow the road and meet Lawrence quickly or follow the ghouls to a mysterious route?

Scene: You've made your way through the woods, some timbermen's houses and a small "road" (more of a path, really) between some hills without drawing attention. The hills themselves were getting larger, rougher, but there were still room for your horses to maneuver. You were now crossing crops and woods thriving at the foot of the Heights, pieces of settled land loomed over by hills that only get higher and slowly become mountains. It's almost 10 a.m., you were following the tracks across a wheat field and decided to rest your bones in an abandoned barn. The landscape is now overtaken by large rocks and mountains that you could see in the horizon back at Dew's Burgh.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-08-21 at 03:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

AssassinGuy

Lief gestures to the trails that Snowfang found.

"So undead route or Lawrence?"
    Last edited by Yas392; 2020-08-24 at 10:26 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Snowfang emerges silently in the shape of a stout mountain lion, and shifts into his humanoid form, speaking while he shifts.
    "undead. If we wait we can lose the trail, we can strike them now while we are fresh, and finish the whole thing as early as possible."

25. - Top - End - #85

Sasha nods. Everyone's prepped against my breath, right? she checks.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Everyone SHOULD have my invocation on them, making them immune to my breath attack. But this is just a post to ensure that, yes, yes they are.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Aranyel is about to speak up in favor of catching up to Sir Lawrence, but Snowfang's suggestion makes sense too. "Hm. But what if we find nothing on that trail? At what point do we cut back toward Sir Lawrence's position?"

Current games list

27. - Top - End - #87

AssassinGuy

"What I am more worried about tailing after the undead is bumping into the necromancer. Flee on sight, he is very formidable. While I vouch for seeing Sir Lawrence, I do not mind the other route as long as it is just his flunkies we are facing. Make sure we leave marks we can refer back to backtrack to the main road."

Lief gives a slight tilt of his head to the sun cleric's direction.

"And if we come across nothing after some time then we go to Sir Lawrence. That some time is the point where we strayed too far from the main road. We could also split; two of us meeting Sir Lawrence, two of us going after the undead if the final decision is a dilemma for some of us."

Downtime

During the duration of respite, Lief seeks a resting place that is isolated from the rest of his companions outside the barn-house that is without sunlight. After making sure that his companions are asleep, not tailing him out of curiosity, and his place of choice does not disturb their rest, he rebinds Tenebrous. After the ritual, he brushes away the sign he drawn on the ground and go back into the barn-house to get some shut eye.

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    Tenebrous binding check:(1d20+10)[16]
    Last edited by Yas392; 2020-08-26 at 08:40 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Aranyel shakes his head No vigorously. "Dangerous to split. Ghouls must be taken seriously even under ideal conditions, and -- who knows? -- these ones may have special powers thanks to that odd mark left by the necromancer. Come to think of it, were the baron here now, I think he would send us to deal with the more esoteric danger -- it's not something soldiers should face if it can be avoided. Let's follow the track, not the road."

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #89

AssassinGuy

"It looks like undead route. I hope we have the common sense to run when things get bad for us. Snowfang, Aranyel, you want to lead? You are the experts in these areas."

Once the group make the decision, Lief takes his position at the back when they are following the undead.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Snowfang looks down, suddenly very interested in the dirt between his toes.
    "I never earned the right to lead a pack, and now is not the time to try. Ill scout around and watch our rear in case of trouble, until we reach the battle itself."