New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Stranded in 1650: IC

Quote Originally Posted by Evoker View Post
    I approach Samuel.
    Sir. I believe I can offer you help in these times, and I eagerly await your command. I have already established a watch, so we should receive warning well in advance if someone were to approach the town, so we aren't about to be sneak attacked.
    Samuel

A look of relief crosses Samuel's face.
    "Excellent, good work. Ontor, right? Thank you for your offer. Head into the Inn for now, we'll convene a council inside," Samuel said, "I'll join you in a minute or two."
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

While Samuel works to vocally massage the worst stress out of the crowd, Emlin moves through it, offering reassuring embraces, calming words and an orderly presence. "Yes, we'll get to the bottom of this mystery ... Send your eldest home, Ms. Goric, she can watch the younger ones while you stay here and listen for news ... I'm worried too, Kendrick; it's a natural response to an unnatural happening ... No, I doubt it's related to the old tomes, but rest assured that we'll look at every angle ..." The young man's faint aura of light serves the townsfolk as a visceral reminder of the gods' best intentions. They can put their faith in a higher power in a moment as stunning as this.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

All

It takes around ten minutes of unifying speech and quiet reassurance for the crowd to quiet but eventually it does, still tense but ready to face this as a community. Those with weapons have all sheathed them, though many still fidget with them. You see the crowd’s mass deplete, as one half elf rushing off reminds others of what they need to do and while the inn is still crowded the common is much emptier. Emlin calms the last few just as the Baron arrives.

The Baron rides up, then dismounts and hurries over to Samuel, pulling him close then talking quietly.

Good, you’re alright. I worried, some had seen you heading towards the edge of the village. You should go and sort things out in this council emerging inside. I’ll keep order amongst the rabble out here. Remember, you are an Arvandor, don’t let them forget.

After hearing Samuels reply he’ll likely keep order here, being less of a calming presence than his son but still capably ensuring order is maintained.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I enter the inn.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mama

Mama hitches Tikka up beside the Stumble Inn, and keeps her thoughts to herself as early impressions are shouted back and forth in the commons. She tries to beat the rush to the bar, and orders a pair of beers. She squeezes in at a table to listen further, but is also happy to share what she saw at the seaside with all who will listen.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Mama

You’re fortunate to arrive while the speech as starting, and so some at the bar move to hear the reassuring words spoken. You get your drinks quickly enough and settle down at a table, quickly becoming the centre of attention as the only one with real news. Chatter about your news and baseless rumours occupy a full ten minutes until people begin to slowly leave the inn.

Ontor

The Inn is still more crowded than it would ever usually be this early in the morning, but is emptying as people are calming down and leaving to get back to work or to bring what news they have home. You can find an empty table to talk around, or ask the innkeeper for a side room if you think this council you’ve been asked to ready requires more privacy.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Samuel Arvandor

“Yes Father,” Samuel replied. He was glad his father also came with them, he couldn’t imagine how those who were missing loved ones were feeling right now.

He stepped off the table and made his way though to the Inn, joining Ontor in the common room.

“Are there any others?” he asked.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

8. - Top - End - #38

WhiteWizardGirl

I'll approach the innkeeper.
    At the request of the Baron's son, I have been asked to convene a meeting. If you could find a side-room we could use for some privacy, that would be much appreciated.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[18] Diplomacy.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

The innkeeper, am older male halfling named Finnegan quickly points you to a side door and gets back to exchanging rumours and selling drinks.

Through the door you find a room with a large table and six chairs, apparently arranged for discussion.

10. - Top - End - #40

WhiteWizardGirl

I'll sit down, and wait for someone else to arrive.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Samuel

Sam motions to Ontor as he speaks, gesturing for him to join him in the side room.

“Let’s see if anyone else joins,” he said.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-07-11 at 10:50 AM.
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mama

As Ontor and Samuel make their way through the inn, Mama waves to get their attention.

"Hey, boys! If you need volunteers to help exploring the neighbourhood, I admit - I'm pretty curious."

With an invitation, she'll take her beer and join them in the back room.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

13. - Top - End - #43

WhiteWizardGirl

Thank you, Mrs. Masala. I'm glad you are willing to help us, and not go off on your own again.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Mama

As Ontor and Samuel make their way through the inn, Mama waves to get their attention.

"Hey, boys! If you need volunteers to help exploring the neighbourhood, I admit - I'm pretty curious."

With an invitation, she'll take her beer and join them in the back room.
    Samuel Arvandor

“Glad to have you, Mama,” Samuel said, “there’s one more I was sure we could have join us.. I’ll be right back.”

Samuel got up to see if he could find Emlin anywhere and invite him to the Inn with the others.
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

"Samuel! I was hoping I could-- Oh, I see," Emlin says with a small blush as Samuel opens the door for him. "And Mama and Ontor. A meeting of the minds. Ontor, good work holding the line in that first moment. Mama Masala, people say you got a good glimpse at what's out there. Considering the way stories grow in the telling, I'd appreciate hearing the word from you directly -- I admit, I wasn't paying much attention out there by the border, myself."

Current games list

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mama Masala

Warming to an audience, Mama describes visiting the break point closest to her house, with the abrupt if subtle shift in flora and fauna. She then talks about following the sea breeze out toward the beach.

"So we've got a bay and at least one ship to the north. A village of some sort to the east. Dunno what else.

"So now, I figure we should have a look-see in the other directions. Maybe send folks round to all the houses, let them know what we know. An' then we go an try to have a cup of tea with the neighbours, I guess.

"We got anybody in town who can go through that damfool library, try to make sense of all this. Figure out if we've moved a hundred miles or a million. Whether we're the only ones who moved, or if we're on some kind of quilt of places. And most importantly, how e're going to get home so I can see my Lester's next birthday."

She takes a sip of her beer.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Mama Masala

Warming to an audience, Mama describes visiting the break point closest to her house, with the abrupt if subtle shift in flora and fauna. She then talks about following the sea breeze out toward the beach.

"So we've got a bay and at least one ship to the north. A village of some sort to the east. Dunno what else.

"So now, I figure we should have a look-see in the other directions. Maybe send folks round to all the houses, let them know what we know. An' then we go an try to have a cup of tea with the neighbours, I guess.

"We got anybody in town who can go through that damfool library, try to make sense of all this. Figure out if we've moved a hundred miles or a million. Whether we're the only ones who moved, or if we're on some kind of quilt of places. And most importantly, how e're going to get home so I can see my Lester's next birthday."

She takes a sip of her beer.
    You would know of a young woman called Maria, who tends to the village’s library. But also that the collection was that of a wizard and so while you may find an atlas in amongst the shelves anything more than that would be unlikely.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Samuel

“We can head to the south first, then circle around west,” Samuel said, “someone should stay in town and compile a counting of who came with the town.”

Samuel left off the other half of his sentence: who was left behind.

“Perhaps my father might wish to do this,” he added.
    TC for short

19. - Top - End - #49

WhiteWizardGirl

I think it might be prudent to establish who was within the boundary of... whatever brought us here, yes. I would volunteer, but my experience has mostly focused around the militia and those who regularly worship. I don't have a very thorough knowledge of everyone in town, unfortunately.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mama

Mama snorts.

"You won't have to do much but set Edith Korably to the task, and she'll have scoured the town to tell you who's here, who's there, who wasn't in their house as should have been, and how clean their kitchens were. This is the biggest gossip we've seen for, well, ever. You leave the counting to them.

"Young Ontor had a clever idea, making sure that tower got eyes in it. Maybe His Lordship would like to be doing the same in the other directions. Specially if we find out that we've interrupted the path of a road or something."

She drains her second beer, wipes her mouth on her sleeve, and rises.

"South first, you said? Might want to start west, and swing around to the east, where we can head on to that village or whatever it is."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

"You won't have to do much but set Edith Korably to the task, and she'll have scoured the town ..."

"South first, you said? Might want to start west, and swing around to the east, where we can head on to that village or whatever it is."
    "No need to call Edith to service, Mama Masala, she's already hard at work. Preening with the thanks of those relieved by what they hear, and with unaccustomed compassion for those whose news is not yet good. West to south to east sounds as good as any plan, but we should get moving quickly -- the sooner we go, the more time we have to investigate before natural light fails us." Emlin stands and drains the last from someone's abandoned mug. "I took a moment to gather some useful supplies. They're waiting outside the front door."

Current games list

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Samuel

“Agreed,” Samuel said, “let’s head out.”
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mama

Mama grins at Emlin, and nods.

"Saddle up."

She scurries outside to climb up onto Tikka.

24. - Top - End - #54

WhiteWizardGirl

I'll follow where you lead me, Lord Samuel. I put my trust in the millitia to decent the town, and I am confident they won't disappoint me.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

All

You gather up your horses, state your plan and ride off eastwards. You quickly find a coastal track that generally matches your intended direction and follow it. The forest thins out fairly quickly, showing hills to your south that roll down into a coast dominated by cliffs and spotted with small inlets. As you come up on one of these you see your first people in this new area.

Two mounted men are talking hurriedly with an armed man on foot, with several other armed men standing behind the one talking. They are dressed in a common yellow-brown uniform with off white headdresses. All of them are human or possibly half elf. They have not yet noticed you, but if you ride close enough to take in more details or hear what they’re saying without making an effort to be quiet they likely will.

26. - Top - End - #56

WhiteWizardGirl

Speaking quietly, I'll ask the group: Should we approach? This could be a good opportunity to get more information about where we are.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Evoker View Post
    Speaking quietly, I'll ask the group: Should we approach? This could be a good opportunity to get more information about where we are.
    “Let’s just watch a minute and see what happens,” Samuel said, “we have horses and they’re on foot, so we can approach at any time, but this is our chance to find out what kind of footmen they are before they know we’re here..”

“Besides,” he added, “it would be rude to interrupt their conversation.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-07-16 at 07:17 PM.
    TC for short

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mama Masala

Staying on horseback, Mama simply nods and watches, trying to better understand the dynamic of the interaction between the horsemen and the armed troop.

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    (1d20+3)[4]. She's trying to gauge whether they are working together, negotiating/discussing, or arguing.

Edit: perhaps it would be better if Mama opened her eyes before attempting to observe.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-07-16 at 08:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Emlin nods. "Patience will serve us best, I expect. But can any of you make out what they're saying from here?" The paladin nudges his horse forward, just ahead of the group, then turns the beast enough that it's clear he's not about to charge. His aura is faintly visible against the landscape. "Take care to seem unthreatening, friends."

Current games list

30. - Top - End - #60

WhiteWizardGirl

I'll strain my ears, trying to pick up the conversation without moving closer.

Spoiler: Listen
    Show
    (d20+3)[23]

(Wow.)
    Last edited by Evoker; 2020-07-17 at 10:24 AM.