New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Stranded in 1650: IC

We don't know that we can't make a difference, that's true. But if we conserve our strength, and wait for the right moment, perhaps we can be sure we can make enough of a difference that we don't have to bow to either army, and show we can protect ourselves. But for now, we just don't have enough information about where we are to be sure. It's better to prepare, and risk wasting some time, than it is to just charge forward blindly.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (d20)[7]

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Emlin smiles, now on his home ground in more than one sense. "You know I hold that every person deserves goodwill. And good action isn't reserved only for those whose own behavior is nearly perfect -- they're the least in need of it! The people in this army are imperfect, it's true -- like you and me, and like Brett and Sami and Tojar and Toma," he says, listing a few of the people in town who have been moved by his steadfast example of goodwill and good action. "But they clearly have a sense for the holy, and I expect I'll do more good encouraging that than assuming each of them is incapable of change for the better."
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

All

Your meetings with concerned individuals quickly take on a pattern. People are worried about what this means and about who they are. All the people like this they've met so far have been close to violence, and don't know how to take the lack of their magic/ Already you hear the beginnings of rumours that they seek to take and imprison the mages from this village as well.

You have all to little time to deal with this though as soon you are drawn up to the manor house that Samuel and his father have called home. So far no Ottoman soldiers have proceeded this far and so you make your way in unseen and unquestioned.

The halls are fairly well appointed and have not changed since you've been away. The corridor to the baronial study is well maintained as ever and you can see a silhouette through the frosted glass of the door. Any knock or asked question is replied to by a hurried invitation to enter.

Inside you see the Baron sitting behind his desk, and next to him a tired looking man in fine silken robes. The man is clean shaven, with a fine tan and great wealth in jewellery around his fingers and neck. The Baron quickly speaks Ontor, do you have the spells to all Salvador de Gradi here to make his intent clear? It would be most helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

4. - Top - End - #214

WhiteWizardGirl

I do have a second casting of Comprehend Languages prepared, if you're willing to continue trusting my translation. It'll last for just over half an hour, so we won't have a long time to complete negotiations.

I'll cast Comprehend Languages.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Salvador quickly begins speaking after the spell is cast.

Hail. I am Salvador, captain in the Arsenal’s navy and freeman of the maritime republic. I was here to look out for attempts to resupply this island when your village appears, and so came to search for the answer. By Maria, I know you come from elsewhere, and little enough about you. I hope to explain myself to you and for you to hear me out fully. This island was invaded for no crime of it’s people and now only one city stands free from the empire. We offer them payment despite their lies if they will leave this land in peace but they demand this siege and blockade continue, I know not what you can do but please help us.

The baron hardly waits before responding.
    Well, that at least gives us reason for his trespass. Though little more than that, he had indicated knowledge of this stands rulers. A shame it’s so hostile. Do you have anything to ask of him before is handed over?

6. - Top - End - #216

WhiteWizardGirl

Sense Motive regarding Salvador's speech?

Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+3)[12]

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Samuel Arvandor

“Let’s at least hear him out first,” Samuel said, “he is of this land and could tell us much. We have had many, many questions and only limited interaction with the locals. Plus he is of the other side from the so-called empire currently occupying our town; he could tell us more about both them and these ‘Venetians’. Once we know more, we can decide what to do.”

He motioned for Salvador to continue.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mama watched and listened carefully to this Salvator, but having no way to respond to him, simply thought about ways in which their village could navigate this new wrinkle.

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    (1d20+3)[12]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Mama and Ontor

The man seems genuine and desperate. You can tell no more than that.

All

He continues.

I know all to little of what abilities you have, but I realise you have many. I know not your desires or your moral code but the council I represent will reward you richly for any aid you give. The occupiers here grow desperate as we still rule the sea, as the island cannot feed them nor support losses from brave rebels or attrition from the siege. We know where the next shipment will come, if you can aid us preventing their arrival we would do much for you.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mama leans forward, examining the man's face. Her own is quiet but hard.

"If these Venetians control the sea, then why would they need our help in blocking a suppy ship's arrival?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Emlin's opinion of Captain Salvador drops steeply when he all but says outright that he doesn't care what kind of moral values Citalloners have as long as they agree to help. But the captain may not be representative of his own culture, and anyway, Emlin knows it's best to give the benefit of the doubt. "A good question, Mama. But how do we ask this man to elaborate? If we try the occupiers' language, he may know enough to understand us, but I doubt hearing it would put him in a talking mood."

Current games list

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Samuel Arvandor

“I assume the captain meant he and his crew personally knew where the next shipment would be, but had no way of getting word to his people,” Samuel said.

“Still,” he continued, nonplussed, “to create an item of comprehend languages, preferably two, before we commit to anything, would probably be prudent. It’s a bit costly but I think it will help immensely in negotiations and understanding the intent of people we’re parlaying with. In the meantime, we could keep this individual here as a guest while we discuss. I doubt he will want to go out with the garrison stationed just outside anyway.”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mama shrugged.

"We can try to create such magics, but how long will that take? And do you have what you need in order to make them? And my point was not that the people on board the ships needed to know when the others' supply ship was coming in, but that if supplies are getting past your patrols, you're not actually controlling the sea, are you? So these folks may HAVE ships, but that doesn't mean they have the advantage he's claiming."

Turning to the Venetian, Mama attempts to pantomime the basic questions 'where' and when.'

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Mama shrugged.

"We can try to create such magics, but how long will that take? And do you have what you need in order to make them? And my point was not that the people on board the ships needed to know when the others' supply ship was coming in, but that if supplies are getting past your patrols, you're not actually controlling the sea, are you? So these folks may HAVE ships, but that doesn't mean they have the advantage he's claiming."

Turning to the Venetian, Mama attempts to pantomime the basic questions 'where' and when.'
    “Two days each,” Samuel replied, “as for the supplies... it depends what we have in town, or what we’re able to find. I’ll add it to the list of things we need to determine.”
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mama nods, thinking. She glances around at the others.

"Well, it's a barrel full of crap for all of us, if any of the whatsis, these Otto-men, get loose, and can tie us to whatever happens. Still, we're likely to need anything that they're shipping onto this island, and anything that weakens the stronger side in this squabble gives us more room to breathe."

She throws up her hands.

"If you decide to do this, I'll be ready to come with ya."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Samuel Arvandor

“Unless they start behaving aggressively, I think we should wait,” Samuel said, “getting thrust into the middle of whatever war is going on is going to result in casualties, and I’d rather avoid that if we can.”
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #227

WhiteWizardGirl

As much as it pains me to deny a call for help, I'll follow your lead... until we can be sure that we won't endanger Citallion.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Evoker View Post
    As much as it pains me to deny a call for help, I'll follow your lead... until we can be sure that we won't endanger Citallion.
    “Yes it’s a call for help, but the ‘help’ is to intercept a supply ship, or tell people where to intercept a supply ship,” Samuel replied, “how many would die without the supplies? We have no way of knowing. Or perhaps the supplies are siege engines and many would die if they get through, once again, we have no way of knowing. I say we hold until we know more.”
    TC for short

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

All

He seems to recognise the indications of where and when and moves over to several charts laid out on the desk. He flips one over revealing a more detailed map of the island and points to a bay, marked with the word Bari. Then speaks. They come in eleven days.

He does seems capable of gauging the general mood of the conversation and he is seems wary, bracing himself for disappointment. He still stands unmoving though.

You believe you have enough magical components around the town that you could assemble these items or comprehend language.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

"Your Lordship," Emlin says, addressing the Baron. "How long has this captain been here? Could he stay hidden another couple days while a translator item is crafted? We would benefit from being able to ask more about the situation and how we could aid it before firmly committing."

To Samuel, he adds, "We'll need to clarify how to address you ... 'Right Honorable' and all that."

Current games list

21. - Top - End - #231

WhiteWizardGirl

My spell didn't include in the translation the honorific attached to "Bey". If one even exists.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Samuel

“Honestly, honorifics are a very distant priority after food, communication, security, and finding a way home,” Samuel replied, “let’s stick with tradition until it becomes an issue.”
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mama

Mama rises a bit wearily. She nods to the Venetian.

"Well, this has been fun, but I can't think of anything else I can do here tonight. I'm going to keep trying to learn more of the Ottoman language. Who they are. Why they're here. Maybe one of you can start to do the same with Sailor Boy here."

With a smirk, she offers an extremely bad curtsey to Samuel.

"By your leave, oh great Bey."

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler: XP
    Show
    For gaining a fuller understanding of the world and making initial choices about how to proceed you all gain 800 XP.

According to the Baron he's been here a day and a half and can likely be trusted to remain hidden. After all, given the number and variety of people here the Ottoman's could not be sure he wasn't a local even if they found him. He has been pointing out maps, charts and the like to the baron who has been planning while you were out doing diplomacy.

According to his calculations and reckonings, the most important farmland was the common and the fields closest to the villag,e many of which were transported with you and now lie to the south in this new world. Provided the ottoman's can be convinced to shrink the garrison soon, you are not required to tithe and Mama helps out a little with druid magic to prevent disease setting in you should be able to feed your people. The stew will certainly be a little thin but none will starve.

Mama

With at least some of the soldiers as interested in you as you are in them you begin to learn their language. There are some false starts as it seems many soldiers speak a different language among themselves, or even maybe several different languages among different groups but over the next few days you learn to string together some broken Turkish sentences. You also notice they never eat between dawn and dusk

You are also greeted by Sarah who has given birth to a healthy little girl, she seems frazzled by everthing but largely OK. Staying in and resting a lot as she tends to the little one.

Onotr

You spend the next four days scrounging together the components to put together the translation aids, and then if you so desire imbueing them with magic to aid understanding and comprehension. It is somewhat unremarkable compare to what came before but the objects you create may be key to many more paths.

Samuel and Emlin

You're a little more free to spend your time as you please, you notice the baron has avoided conversation regarding Samuels elevation unless confronted and for the most part continues to concern himself with his duties ensuring both that you're people break no rules and that none of the soldiers trespass to much.

25. - Top - End - #235

WhiteWizardGirl

Alright. Who will be paying the Debt of Soul
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Or other Setting-appropriate, probably less cheesy, term for "XP cost"]
    required to imbue these items? I could accept it, or use a spell to transfer it.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Alright. Who will be paying the Debt of Soul
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Or other Setting-appropriate, probably less cheesy, term for "XP cost"]
    required to imbue these items? I could accept it, or use a spell to transfer it.
    “Wait, you can do that?” Samuel asked.
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #237

WhiteWizardGirl

Of course. It's one of the more obscure spells provided by the gods, but give me a day to pray and I should be able to cast it just fine.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Once Mama gets used to serving a large meal after sundown and getting up early to offer pre-dawn snack, she gets on quite well with the soldiers billeted with her, and is pleased to incorporate the guards into the everyday life of her chaotic household - including chores, if they'll let her. After all, the busier she can keep them, the less likely they are to notice the halfling family two houses over.

Mostly though, she is over the moon thrilled at the birth of Sarah's baby, and rains down kisses on her grand-children and daughters-in-law for taking good care of mother and daughter.

"Just think! This child is born of two worlds! It's a sign that great and exciting things will come to this girl, mark my words!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm cool with ditching Sylvan and starting the process of learning Turkish, if that works for you. You can decide how fluently she can make herself understood in a given situation.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Emlin spends his less encumbered time the next couple days going from family to family, checking in on people's well-being and hearing what they have to say about their experiences so far in this new reality. In past times of difficulty or crisis, he's been quick to take on this role, aiding the diseased and injured, providing an open ear and a calming presence. As time permits or citizens demand, he also takes up the smithing hammer or helps with animals.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    I don't have specific plans to implement. I'm happy to use my skills and abilities however I might be useful, while also performing an informal and untrained Gather Info: (d20+4)[9]

Besides the whole Stigmata shtick, I expect to be most valuable in spreading hope (Diplomacy +13 or +15), showing people they're understood (Sense Motive +9), or helping to direct or train animals (Handle Animal +11). Technically my only smithing skills are for armaments. Stigmata's hp curing and disease removal should work on people and animals both, and while my +3 Heal modifier isn't anything to shout about, it could at least let me recognize signs that a problem exists.

Current games list

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Of course. It's one of the more obscure spells provided by the gods, but give me a day to pray and I should be able to cast it just fine.
    “Certainly would,” Samuel replied, “I’m the one who suggested them and will craft them, after all.”
    TC for short