A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

yuk OOTS #499 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop gameónow including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #499 - The Discussion Thread

...three weeks playing with blocks...whoa. And he just climbed down the mountain again, that's about another 8 weeks...whoa. How long did he spend fishing? But wait, the sun is stationary in the sky? No night? How does the Tavern of Infinite One Night Stands work then?
    Last edited by SoD; 2007-10-29 at 02:30 AM.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

So, if Roy just climbed down the mountain, wouldn't that mean it's been another 8 weeks now? Ugh, I hate this time shifting.
    Buy, Sell, Hold stats:
    Spoiler
    Show

60 HNJO (240gp)
    25 OOTS (300gp)
    30 SNRL (300gp)
    50 DOOM (500gp)
    50gp on hand.

Total Value: 1380gp

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SoD View Post
    ...three weeks playing with blocks...whoa. And he just climbed down the mountain again, that's about another 8 weeks...whoa. How long did he spend fishing?
    By the math, and assuming that time spent with the bureaucratic deva is negligible, 4 weeks.

And although I'm tempted to say that it's easier to go down the mountain than up, it did take Horace 11 weeks to come down two levels... so maybe he only spent 4 weeks on the return trip down?

At any rate, I sense a shift in focus for OOTS 500.

(And please pardon the edits.)
    Last edited by KeiranHalcyon; 2007-10-29 at 02:32 AM.
    This space intentionally left blank.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Well, maybe he didn't fall down. He could have just jumped and nothing would happen to him, right? RIGHT?!
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

6. - Top - End - #6

Poor Roy,

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

fun...hopefully he can take the shortcut back up if he wants to spend more time with his mom...would suck to have to climb the mountian every time.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

No offense but I dislike the explanation.

In any case, now it's a cloud hanger, and I really wanna know what's gonna happen next..

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

No offense, Giant, (and why you're posting this at 3:30 AM, or why I'm even reading it I can't begin to fathom), but I don't buy that sort of thing. It's your comic and a half-decent plot method for dissociating the rest of the Order from Roy, but I personally think that I would notice if I was climbing a mountain for 8 weeks. I've been hiking, and nice as it is (I love it), you get pretty damn bored putting one foot in front of the other. Consequently, I daydream, and my daydreams don't usually last 8 weeks without me noticing. I.E., they're short. After a good 2 days or so, I've usually run out of ideas, and even then it seems like forever. So really, I don't buy your explanation, but meh. Eugene's reaction is pretty good, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh dear. From this turn of events:

Spoiler
    Show
    It looks like Roy will be dead for a while longer. He's going down to watch what's happened, and what he sees first will determine the larger shape of the plot. Unless #500 is a triple strip, I can't see it being the one Roy is raised in.

EDIT: Also noticed a spelling error. 'sa' instead of 'as'.
    Last edited by RMS Oceanic; 2007-10-29 at 02:40 AM.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Even if he didn't jump down, I'd bet he would go as fast as he could down the mountain, two tactical move actions a round instead of the one for typical overland movement. (Terrain prohibits running, correct?)

>Av by xxRestAssuredxx

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

This makes one a lot more sympathetic to Eugene, actually. Perhaps some portion of not climbing the mountain is his own choice.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, gotta admit I dont buy it either. Playing block for 3 weeks? Sure why not if you like your little brother but climbing a mountain for 8 weeks? You realize that sort of thing, especially since its not that fun to climb a mountain. I sure hope he didnt had to take another 8 weeks again to climb down. (Maybe he could use the revolving door to get back on Eugene cloud, if thats so it probably took less then a day.)
    Last edited by Querzis; 2007-10-29 at 02:47 AM.
    In memory of lord Shojo

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I have to say that this proves Roy's dedication to being a Lawful Good individual, willing to sacrifice so that he can keep up with the events of the world. I mean, think about it. He can either:

A) Spend time in Heaven, enjoying any number of pleasures, spending time with family members he loves and can relate to, and basically spend any amount of time in virtual bliss.

or

B) Watch what's going on in the world, but have to spend time with his dad to do so.

Roy decided it was more important to keep tabs on the world and endure his dad's presence rather than enjoy himself on his justly deserved time in paradise.

Roy's a class act.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

<Smug>
    Ha! Told you there wasn't any of this silly time acceleration nonsense going on!
    </Smug>

As for the comic, I sense a great snark battle coming up between Eugene and Roy. Should be fun.

And I can't be the only one that's highly amused about Sara's comment about her Postmortem Time Disassociation Disorder.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2007-10-29 at 02:49 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's funny how Roy can't stay mad. he's just too curious

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

I think the Giant's explanation is perfectly reasonable. After all, time is only a measure of change. Nothing was changing in Roy's world that stood out to him. Sure, he was climbing the mountain for a while, but when you do a meanial task you tend to lose track of when and sometimes even what you are doing. Only when you look at a clock, get hungry, have to pee, etc. do you realize just how long you have been performing that activity. His sense of time and change was absent, therefore he didn't realize how long he had spent in heaven.
    "I'm participating!"

"Your approval fills me with shame"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue 7 View Post
    No offense, Giant, (and why you're posting this at 3:30 AM, or why I'm even reading it I can't begin to fathom), but I don't buy that sort of thing. It's your comic and a half-decent plot method for dissociating the rest of the Order from Roy, but I personally think that I would notice if I was climbing a mountain for 8 weeks.
    Right, because last time you were dead...

Oh, you've never been dead before? Huh. Then I'm curious how you would know?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue 7 View Post
    I've been hiking, and nice as it is (I love it), you get pretty damn bored putting one foot in front of the other.
    Again, Roy is DEAD. There's no evidence he is capable of getting bored anymore. Maybe boredom is a consequence of noticing the passage of time relative to your unchanging situation, meaning that Roy can't become bored BECAUSE he doesn't notice time passing, rather than the other way around.

They are talking about a disorder here, something that happens to dead souls. There is NO CONTEXT for anyone here to say, "But it wouldn't happen like that!" You don't know. You're not a dead soul.

I'm just amazed that people can accept the existence of the afterlife and archons, but not that dead souls might have different capabilities for percieving time than a live human.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

19. - Top - End - #19

So, comic 500 is going to be Roy having a blowout with his father? Probably with accusations of irresponsibility, stupidity and incompetance.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    So, comic 500 is going to be Roy having a blowout with his father? Probably with accusations of irresponsibility, stupidity and incompetance.
    Or with swords and spells...
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

21. - Top - End - #21

Well, I cast my vote for "The explanation was perfectly reasonable -- indeed, it's exactly what I assumed on reading the previous strip."

So, not very interesting for me, but I can see why it was necessary to calm down the wild speculations of certain people who just can't get the message. :P

The surprising ending, though, more than made up for wading through the rest.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaria View Post
    I think the Giant's explanation is perfectly reasonable. After all, time is only a measure of change. Nothing was changing in Roy's world that stood out to him. Sure, he was climbing the mountain for a while, but when you do a meanial task you tend to lose track of when and sometimes even what you are doing. Only when you look at a clock, get hungry, have to pee, etc. do you realize just how long you have been performing that activity. His sense of time and change was absent, therefore he didn't realize how long he had spent in heaven.
    Exactly. When he was climbing the mountain, his mind probably shut down into a near Zen like state of consciousness. And it only perked up when there was something new, i.e. Sara's house. Throw in total bliss, and well, the explanation makes enough sense to me.

Besides, how many of us have been to heaven? We really can't use our mortal experiences when judging how it would be there, now can we? So, if in Rich's World, he says that souls go into Time Shock when they first enter Celestia and he comes up with a half-way decent explanation, then I'm good with it.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

23. - Top - End - #23

8 weeks???!!? wow... that is some climb..

I would knock down 40 times :)

as for people can't fathom or accept the time lapses... think about this.

You don't get hungry or tired. I love to hike. I love to walk around, but after a time, you DO get tired. You sweat and need rest..... then you realize how much time has pass.

What if you are in a place where it is total bliss. Sure we have that feeling once or twice before. Now imagine that bliss last forever and never go away (unless you think about it) We can't quite fathom the idea of never hungry, tire, sleepy, or bored.

Roy wasn't bored, Roy was thinking how much it was worth getting into heaven and his father didn't. We don't really have a concept on what heaven feels like. We can imagine BUT we are putting earthly limits to our view cause it is the only thing we know.

Heck I know MANY gamers put real life physics and such into a fantasy game where magic exist......... yeesh :)
    Last edited by chibibar; 2007-10-29 at 03:06 AM.
    Chibi rules.
    Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Funny...and answers more questions... nice one Giant !
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Wow. Great work. Plot is getting more and more twisted.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Damn, I'm now dying of anticipation as to what's gone on while Roy was "away"
    Dr. Manhattan+tiny Rorshach Avatar by drKarling, much appreciated.
    The Deductive Adventures of Rex Kingdom, P.I. is an awful parody detective serial.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

BTW: I'll bet quite a lot of gps that souls that go to Mechanus don't get Postmortem Time Disassociation Disorder.

In fact, they probably get a time card, schedule, and a watch handed to them as soon as they land on one of the gears.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Hehe, nice explanatory comic! Can't wait for the big 500th! :D
    Cheers!
    Lawfulness for a character is based on UNIVERSAL values, and does not depend on the town/ country he resides in.

29. - Top - End - #29

ClericGuy

Oh, that's rich, Rich!

Still, it does make sense he'd worry about the whole thing, I mean wouldn't any mortal whom died with unfinished business of that sort want to know what's going on in the aftermath?

- Dentarg
    Last edited by Dentarg; 2007-10-29 at 03:18 AM.
    DM Ajantis: DM of the Realm of Anestoril (Formerly Realm of Windchester): "Games are not all about graphics; Storyline, Innovation, Interaction, Graphics, all combined are the true element of a successful game."

"You think DMing is all about flying and laser eyes? THINK AGAIN!"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    Or with swords and spells...
    I like that one... but where's the sword coming from?