New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default 5e Artificer/Fighter build - help check my math/pimp my build?

Hi all! I'm getting ready to embark on a new campaign, and decided to try a Construct this time (the GM has a homebrewed version of WarForged). Since he's a big, clanking, metal hunk of technology, I thought I'd go for a tanky/fighty/spellcasty mix. Essentially, all of my character's "spells" will re-skinned as "ancient lost technology." The main two classes I'm looking at are Fighter (Eldritch Knight) and Artificer (either Artillerist or Battle Master)

I know it won't be an "optimum" build, but I'm hoping for something that is (a) reasonably effective in combat, and (b) reasonably survivable.

Assuming standard starting stats of 15,14,13,12,10,8, and adding in my particular Construct's 'racial' stat bonuses, I believe I'm looking at Level 1 stats of:
    INT: 15+2=17
    CON: 13+2=15
    DEX: 14
    STR: 12+2=14
    WIS: 10-4 = 6
    CHA: 8

Pertinent Class Abilities:
    Artificer Infusions (2): Enhanced Weapon - +1 to attack and damage with weapon
    Artificer Battle Master: Can use INT instead of STR or DEX for attack and damage rolls when using a magic weapon
    Fighter Style Great Weapon Master: on damage rolls, can reroll a 1 or 2, must take second roll (roughly +1 to average damage)

So, if I use a two-handed Reach weapon such as Halberd/Glaive (1d10 damage), I believe at level 9 (Fighter 5 / Artificer 4) <assuming I use my Artificer ASI to get War Caster feat (can cast spell as attack of opportunity) and I get my INT to 20 by level 9>:
    Action: 2x Attacks, each 1d10 +5 (INT) +1 (magic weapon) for total ~24 damage
    Bonus Action: Attack with Steel Defender, 1d8+2 Force damage on hit ~6
    Reaction: Green Flame Blade or Booming Blade cantrip, which includes making a melee attack for ~12-17 damage
    Total average damage output for 1 turn in the neighborhood of ~42-47 damage (assuming opportunity attack and all attacks hit)

Okay, question time:
    (1) I know ~42-47 damage/turn isn't the "best," but is it *reasonable* (assuming an average table of level 9s)? Will I carry my weight as a member of the party, especially as a front line fighter?
    (2) What are some reasonable ways to make *this character* more effective? I generally want to keep the tanky/fighty/casty mix, but I am willing to look at other classes or subclasses that do it better. I'm pretty much determined to try a Construct, so Bladesinger is not an option.

Bonus points for any reply that figures out a decent build (same general concept) using Artificer Artillerist at level 3 for the Eldritch Cannon: bonus action ranged spell attack, 2d8 force damage, 120" range, plus major cool points for the literal arm cannon in the construct!

Thanks in advance,

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: 5e Artificer/Fighter build - help check my math/pimp my build?

I’d recommend starting Battlesmith artificer 5 so you can use Int for attacks and get extra attack ASAP. Then go fighter 4 for fighting style, action surge, an extra level 2 spell slot, and ability score increase.

If you want to go artillerist, I’d go fighter 5, taking some combat cantrips and increasing strength at 4. I’d then go artillerist to 4, picking up more utility spells, infusions and cannon and increasing strength to 20. This build has more HP and heavy armor but fewer spells and more levels where you may feel subpar.

Go with what you feel would be most fun and fits your character concept best.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you want to use a reach weapon and warcaster you also need the spell sniper feat. Probably not worth the investment honestly you could just use the radiant weapon infusion reaction
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    If you want to use a reach weapon and warcaster you also need the spell sniper feat. Probably not worth the investment honestly you could just use the radiant weapon infusion reaction
    Good catch on the War Caster needing Spell Sniper for Reach weapons, thanks. You're right: probably not worth it.

If I end up going all the way to 6th in Artificer, I might try the Infusion: Radiant Weapon.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Relbin View Post
    I’d recommend starting Battlesmith artificer 5 so you can use Int for attacks and get extra attack ASAP. Then go fighter 4 for fighting style, action surge, an extra level 2 spell slot, and ability score increase.

If you want to go artillerist, I’d go fighter 5, taking some combat cantrips and increasing strength at 4. I’d then go artillerist to 4, picking up more utility spells, infusions and cannon and increasing strength to 20. This build has more HP and heavy armor but fewer spells and more levels where you may feel subpar.
    If my GM will let me trade the Steel Defender (which the Battle Smith gets) for the Eldritch Cannon (which the Artillerist gets), I may try something along this route. To me, it seems the Eldritch Cannon is the 'fun,' but the Battle Smith is the 'effective.' I don't want to choose between the two (fun and effective), I'm greedy like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Relbin View Post
    Go with what you feel would be most fun and fits your character concept best.
    You are absolutely correct in this regard. If I do Artillerist, the Eldritch Cannon would be my "signature weapon," and I would want it ASAP. I would take maybe 1 level of Fighter followed by 3 levels of Artificer, just so I could get the Eldritch Cannon as early as possible. I realize this might not be the 'optimal' route, but for me it would be the optimal *fun*.

Anyway, thanks for the input - I do appreciate it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Booming blade EK and Artificer do not mix that well because both the Artificer and the EK(above level 7) get a lot of power from their bonus action. Booming blade and multi-attack don't mix that well unless you go 7 in EK. If you are not getting a lot of use out of booming blade then EK is less attractive.

Straight battlesmith is probably going to be more fun and more effective than any EK/BS multiclass. You could go fighter 1 to get heavy armor, fighting style, and martial weapons ASAP which is one of the major benefits of fighter but that delays your level 5 boost if you are going BS. Level 5 for BS is big, you get extra attack and second level spells(dragon breath for that flame attack, you can put it on your pet). 6 is also big because you get an extra infusions and better magic items. The problem with trying to multiclass into BS from Fighter is that it was already given enough fighter to not make it worth it.

If you want artillerist I think there could be an interesting build in there that forgoes the extra attack of fighter. In this case, 1 fighter then Artillerist to 3, then 2 in fighter for action surge and EK then Artificer the rest of the way. Or you could hold off on EK until after level 16. Action surge is pretty good though.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Stangler View Post
    Booming blade EK and Artificer do not mix that well because both the Artificer and the EK(above level 7) get a lot of power from their bonus action. Booming blade and multi-attack don't mix that well unless you go 7 in EK. If you are not getting a lot of use out of booming blade then EK is less attractive.

Straight battlesmith is probably going to be more fun and more effective than any EK/BS multiclass. You could go fighter 1 to get heavy armor, fighting style, and martial weapons ASAP which is one of the major benefits of fighter but that delays your level 5 boost if you are going BS. Level 5 for BS is big, you get extra attack and second level spells(dragon breath for that flame attack, you can put it on your pet). 6 is also big because you get an extra infusions and better magic items. The problem with trying to multiclass into BS from Fighter is that it was already given enough fighter to not make it worth it.

If you want artillerist I think there could be an interesting build in there that forgoes the extra attack of fighter. In this case, 1 fighter then Artillerist to 3, then 2 in fighter for action surge and EK then Artificer the rest of the way. Or you could hold off on EK until after level 16. Action surge is pretty good though.
    Oddly enough the artificial doesn't get dragon's breath on its spell list.
    I do agree staying single class with artificer has a lot going for it even with all the perks you can net with a dip in fighter.
    they did a pretty good job with the class that while multiclassing is not completely difficult you know you are delaying some very potent ablities.

You want to get to BS 5 for extra attack but then 6 gets some nice infusions.... then flash of genius ...only a small gap to best infusions and arcane jolt bringing one of the best action economy heals in the game..then SSI, can't pass up the potential shenanigans with that one.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

This plan is akin to wanting to MC Paladin and Fighter because you want a more fighty Paladin.

Paladins are plenty fighty.

Battlesmiths are plenty fighty.

Now, artillerist are not plenty fighty; they typically have a blaster-wand and a cannon, and play more like a Warlock than a fighter.

A nearly pure battlesmith with a greataxe plays a lot like a fighter (with spells and a robot dog).

9. - Top - End - #9

... while multiclassing is not completely difficult you know you are delaying some very potent ablities.
    Absolutely. The more I think about it, the ability to redo your infusions every night, based on the expected obstacle of the 'morrow, is AMAZINGLY powerful ... and being a half-caster ain't all bad, especially when you get to be fighty, too.

arcane jolt bringing one of the best action economy heals
    I am not contesting the idea that Artificer has some very powerful and useful options - I'm extremely happy that my character concept looks like it will work out well. However, there are a few things I am not interested in for this PC - healing and a 'mechanical companion' are among them. I now: this means I won't be taking full advantage of the class abilities. That's one reason I'm hoping my GM will let me trade the Steel Defender for the Edlritch Cannon (that, and the EC is just freaking awesome!). Did I mention that I plan to have it built into the construct as a permanent body part?

When I saw my GM's homebrew construct option, I legit imagined a PC with fighting prowess, a handful of high-tech abilities (re-skinned spells), and a big a$$ plasma arm cannon. Artillerist is almost the perfect realization of that image.

I do appreciate all the feedback from everybody; it is helping me figure things out.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Battlesmiths are plenty fighty.
    I hear ya, but I want the Eldritch Cannon more than the Battle Smith (both would be *heaven*). And I still want to be fighty. Thus, maybe Fighter 1, then the rest Artillerist is my best option. But again: no extra attack, no .... lots of fighty stuff. I'm just having a hard time finding the balance I want, while staying reasonably effective as a contributing member of the party.

artillerist ... typically have a blaster-wand and a cannon
    Can you clarify what you mean by a blaster-wand? Is there an option I missed?

A nearly pure battlesmith with a greataxe plays a lot like a fighter (with spells and a robot dog).
    The spells part I'm definitely looking forward to, as well as the fighting. The robot dog: not so much. I see the mechanical benefits they offer; I just don't want to roleplay a construct having a construct.

11. - Top - End - #11

If you want artillerist
    I want that Eldrithc Cannon. 100%.

I think there could be an interesting build in there that forgoes the extra attack of fighter. In this case, 1 fighter then Artillerist to 3, then 2 in fighter for action surge and EK then Artificer the rest of the way. Or you could hold off on EK until after level 16. Action surge is pretty good though.
    I agree Action Surge is good, but I think extra attack is going to be more useful more often.... although, with enough spell options, the Action Surge definitely could have it's uses.

Decisions, decisions...

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by pantastic View Post
    I hear ya, but I want the Eldritch Cannon more than the Battle Smith (both would be *heaven*). And I still want to be fighty. Thus, maybe Fighter 1, then the rest Artillerist is my best option. But again: no extra attack, no .... lots of fighty stuff. I'm just having a hard time finding the balance I want, while staying reasonably effective as a contributing member of the party.
    the artillerist using a cantrip + AF is dealing some solid damage. not quite as much as extra attack but would be plenty "fighty" in regards on damage.

The spells part I'm definitely looking forward to, as well as the fighting. The robot dog: not so much. I see the mechanical benefits they offer; I just don't want to roleplay a construct having a construct.
    i would say artillerst is your subclass. just grab something like thornwhip and go to town pulling targets in close and toast them with flamethrower or how ever you want. its a very flexible subclass.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Can you clarify what you mean by a blaster-wand? Is there an option I missed?
    Arcane Firearm at 5 augments an implement to deal +1d8 damage when you cast a spell through it.

The base combat option of the Artillerist is
    Firebolt (2d10+1d8)
    Cannon (2d8) bonus action

Now, you could use a staff and do
    Booming Blade (1d6+2d8+str+2 (duelist) +1 (infusion))
    Cannon (2d8) bonus action
    But your Booming Blade uses Str, and your Cannon uses Int.

You can swap the force-damage cannon for the shield cannon (1d8+int temporary HP every round in an AOE).

A Battlemaster 3/Artillerist X might be viable that uses Booming Blade as its main attack routine (magic initiate) via a staff. Also uses a shield for AC.

In this build you don't break 4 with the Fighter, as you rely on a SCAG cantrip for attacks instead of extra attack. It has to use a staff, because the Arcane Firearm requires a staff, rod or wand.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2020-07-06 at 09:15 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Unless your DM rules that a cantrip gained by a racial feature, like H elf, are added to the class list then BB and arcane firearm Don't combine. It specifically states that only artificer spells work with it.
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2020-07-06 at 09:20 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

You may have already seen this, and if so then my comment is pointless. But have you seen the UA with the Armorer subclass. It doesn't have the Eldritch Cannon but it does incorporate a lot of the elements of Artillerist and Battlesmith (i.e. the ability to be shooty AND melee-oriented... Which are elements you seem to want to combine...)

16. - Top - End - #16

Arcane Firearm
    Ah. I just didn't realize you were referring to the Arcane Firearm ability.

A Battlemaster 3/Artillerist X might be viable
    I didn't realize choosing multiple subclasses (from the same main class) was an option. I'll have to look into that, thanks.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

I didn't realize choosing multiple subclasses (from the same main class) was an option. I'll have to look into that, thanks.
    There appears to be a little confusion, Battle Master is a Fighter subclass in the PHB, the Artificer subclass you're referring to is the Battle Smith.

As for build, mixing Battle Smith and Battle Master would be a pretty potent combo and would give you some short rest recharge instead of relying solely on long rest spell slots.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    There appears to be a little confusion, Battle Master is a Fighter subclass in the PHB, the Artificer subclass you're referring to is the Battle Smith.
    Ah, I'm sure that's what Yakk was refferring to - I've just been staring at Artificer-Battle Smith for so long, I forgot about the similarly named Fighter subclass!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah. I just didn't realize you were referring to the Arcane Firearm ability.
    Yes. And as I read it, it applies to SCAG weapon cantrips like Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade.

So you get [W]+2d8+stat damage at level 5 from it. Not as good as 2[W]+2Stat usually, but not bad.

You do have to use your wand/staff/rod, and of those 3 a staff is a weapon (1d6 versatile). So you can 2 hand a staff for 3d8+strength, or staff+shield for 1d6+2d8+strength (I think the 1 point of damage is worth the +2 AC).

Then you have your turrent. It is based off int; so either you split your stat investment, accept one of the two is inaccurate, or go with the non-attack temporary HP forcefield.

Battlemaster fighter, not battle smith artificer.

That gives you 4d8 short rest maneuver dice. One of which can be precision attack to ensure your relatively heavy-hitting staff attack works.

Warcaster is also great, which is why battlemaster 4 might be tempting (extra ASI).

You don't get SCAG cantrips to start, so you'll also want a feat to do that.

Rebalance stats like this:
    STR: 15+2=17
    INT: 13+2=15
    DEX: 14
    CON: 12+2=14
    WIS: 10-4 = 6
    CHA: 8

or, even, dump dex. Fighter 1/Artillerist 5 (get Magic Adept for booming blade)/BM 4 (get Warcaster), then Artificer the rest of the way

At Artillerist 8 (level 12) get +1 str/+1 int.

Your power curve is pretty fun.
    1) Staff+Board fighter (1d6+5 damage, 1d10+1 second wind, heavy armor)
    2) Artificier spells. Does mending work on yourself? (!)
    3) Magic up your weapon and armor or whatever
    4) Cannon! 2d8(9) damage or 1d8+2(6.5) temp hp every round.
    5) Booming Blade (1d6+5+1d8 damage, plus 2d8 punishment if they move)
    6) Booming Blade (1d6+5+2d8 damage, plus 2d8 punishment if they move), 2nd level spells
    7) Action Surge
    8) 4d8 short rest maneuver dice (precision, riposte, something else)
    9) Warcaster (can Booming Blade on OAs) if DM provokes regularly, or Sentinal (goes great with riposte; damned if you do, damned if you don't)
    10) 3rd infusion, tool expertise
    11) Flash of Genius (only +2, but hey)
    12) 18 str/16 int
    13) Level 3 spells, cannon upgrade
    14) 4th infusion, 4th attunement, 3rd cantrip
    15) Spell storing item
    16) 20 str or 18 int
    17) 4th level spells
    18) 5th infusion, 5th attunement, 4th cantrip
    19) Cannon grants cover to you and allies with a field (very nice)
    20) 20 str and 20 int or splash level 1 something

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yes. And as I read it, it applies to SCAG weapon cantrips like Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade.

So you get [W]+2d8+stat damage at level 5 from it. Not as good as 2[W]+2Stat usually, but not bad.

You do have to use your wand/staff/rod, and of those 3 a staff is a weapon (1d6 versatile). So you can 2 hand a staff for 3d8+strength, or staff+shield for 1d6+2d8+strength (I think the 1 point of damage is worth the +2 AC).
    Arcane Firearm only applies to Artificer spells and I don't think there's anyway to grab the SCAGtrips as Artificer spells. There's alwats Shocking Grasp for melee though.

21. - Top - End - #21

Arcane Firearm only applies to Artificer spells and I don't think there's anyway to grab the SCAGtrips as Artificer spells. There's alwats Shocking Grasp for melee though.
    I believe you are correct on that. It's ok; I'm not dead-set on using BB/GFB. In fact, I'm still weighing the possibility of a "shoot em in the face" build using a hand crossbow, Repeating Shot, and extra attacks. I think it would be pretty easy to get:

Action - 2x Crossbow shot
    Action Surge - 2x Crossbow shot
    Bonus Action - Eldritch Cannon

I'm just not sure what that would leave me with in other respects. Action Surge is obviously only once per rest - it's a perk, rather than a defining feature.

I think I need to figure out how to make the best use of Arcane Firearm. I definitely want the Eldritch Cannon, and using Artificer as my main, or only, class is very tempting. I think the GM will let me get away with not using a wand/staff/rod for Arcane Firearm since I'm narrating all of my abilities are 'technology' rather than 'magic' (I know this violates RAW, but I hope it's such a minor point that the GM will let it slide). That open me up to picking the weapon of my choosing.

If all of the above is true, most cantrips buffed by Arcane Firearm are going to out-perform STR or DEX based weapons. So .... what weapon do I use?

Maybe I just strap a shield on one arm, my Eldritch Cannon in my other hand, and forgo weapons. From what I'm seeing, that might be the best answer. Bonus points: it lets me skip Fighter completely and go all Artillerist.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

I believe you are correct on that. It's ok; I'm not dead-set on using BB/GFB. In fact, I'm still weighing the possibility of a "shoot em in the face" build using a hand crossbow, Repeating Shot, and extra attacks. I think it would be pretty easy to get:

Action - 2x Crossbow shot
    Action Surge - 2x Crossbow shot
    Bonus Action - Eldritch Cannon

I'm just not sure what that would leave me with in other respects. Action Surge is obviously only once per rest - it's a perk, rather than a defining feature.

I think I need to figure out how to make the best use of Arcane Firearm. I definitely want the Eldritch Cannon, and using Artificer as my main, or only, class is very tempting. I think the GM will let me get away with not using a wand/staff/rod for Arcane Firearm since I'm narrating all of my abilities are 'technology' rather than 'magic' (I know this violates RAW, but I hope it's such a minor point that the GM will let it slide). That open me up to picking the weapon of my choosing.

If all of the above is true, most cantrips buffed by Arcane Firearm are going to out-perform STR or DEX based weapons. So .... what weapon do I use?

Maybe I just strap a shield on one arm, my Eldritch Cannon in my other hand, and forgo weapons. From what I'm seeing, that might be the best answer. Bonus points: it lets me skip Fighter completely and go all Artillerist.
    If you want to go hand crossbow then Artillerist isn't the best subclass at all as it'll make oyu too MAD and not use your subclass features, Battle Smith would be far better for that. Mixing Battle Smith with Fighter leads to a very potent handcrossbow build that's pretty fun to play (I usually play my battle Smiths like this or with a returning spear).

23. - Top - End - #23

If you want to go hand crossbow then Artillerist isn't the best subclass
    Yeah, that seems to be the issue I keep running into: Artillerist isn't the best subclass for anything except having that awesome Eldritch Cannon, which is exactly how I pictured this guy before I even knew Artillerist was a thing.

From what I can tell, Artillerist only gets two things: an awesome Eldritch Cannon, and a plus 1d8 on Artificer spells (via Arcane Firearm) .... that's it.

I'm certain that just going straight Artillerist the whole way is a pretty effective build, and would be a lot of fun to play. It just changes the build from a front-line fighter to a back-line caster (it makes no sense to be front-line when all of my best stuff is ranged).

Hmmm ... I wonder if anything Paladin would pair better with Artillerist for an effective front-line fighter. Guess I have more research to do.

Maybe I should take a level of Barbarian for the Rage - haha! A Construct that 'rages.' I should go to bed before I come up with any more dumb ideas.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yeah, that seems to be the issue I keep running into: Artillerist isn't the best subclass for anything except having that awesome Eldritch Cannon, which is exactly how I pictured this guy before I even knew Artillerist was a thing.

From what I can tell, Artillerist only gets two things: an awesome Eldritch Cannon, and a plus 1d8 on Artificer spells (via Arcane Firearm) .... that's it.

I'm certain that just going straight Artillerist the whole way is a pretty effective build, and would be a lot of fun to play. It just changes the build from a front-line fighter to a back-line caster (it makes no sense to be front-line when all of my best stuff is ranged).

Hmmm ... I wonder if anything Paladin would pair better with Artillerist for an effective front-line fighter. Guess I have more research to do.

Maybe I should take a level of Barbarian for the Rage - haha! A Construct that 'rages.' I should go to bed before I come up with any more dumb ideas.
    Artillerist is the 'Blaster' subclass of Artillerist, though the Protector turret is a ridiculously powerful tool for keeping the party up.

If you want to go up close and personal with Artificer as your main class, then Battle Smith is really the way to go as it gives you the proficiencies you need as well as allowing you to use Int for everything.

Paladin is a fantastic class, but it would be very MAD (multi-attribute dependent) as you would require at least a 13 in Strength and Charisma in order to be able to multiclass with it.

If you're looking for a frontliner then I'd personally recommend Battle Smith mixed with some degree of Fighter (no more than 4 levels), using shield and spear with the Returning Weapon infusion on the spear so you can seemlessly transition into ranged as necessary.

Fighter would give you a pretty substantial damage bump over your career with the Dueling style, Action Surge and being able to take a subclass (Battle Master would be my choice), it also adds to your tanking with Second Wind, more hp and the potential for a heavy armor build if you start off Fighter, though that's a better tactic if you can go Warding Dwarf, I'm not sure what your racial benefits are as you said it was a homebrew race.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

There is nothing wrong with just going 3 into Artificer for the cannon if it fits your concept. EK isn't your only option but it is the best for attribute issues.

A relatively low Charisma Paladin is an option. Your homebrew stat allocation helps with that. Your damage output will be very good if you go Paladin. You can use bless to make sure your cannon hits more often. It is easier to delay the multiattack with Paladin because at 5 you can be 2 Pally/3 Artificer which means Weapon Attack + Smite + Cannon which is plenty of damage to keep you competitive with a standard multiattack fighter.

26. - Top - End - #26

There is nothing wrong with just going 3 into Artificer for the cannon if it fits your concept. EK isn't your only option but it is the best for attribute issues.

A relatively low Charisma Paladin is an option. Your homebrew stat allocation helps with that. Your damage output will be very good if you go Paladin. You can use bless to make sure your cannon hits more often. It is easier to delay the multiattack with Paladin because at 5 you can be 2 Pally/3 Artificer which means Weapon Attack + Smite + Cannon which is plenty of damage to keep you competitive with a standard multiattack fighter.
    I could always Paladin first, then multiclass into Artificer (having the INT will be no problem). Like I said: I'll have to scrutinize some of the Paladin subclasses and features to see if the synergy is good there; I'm just not really seeing Fighter as anything more than a 2 level dip with an Artificer (and even then, only for certain builds).

The smite certainly is useful, and I sort of see this PC as a 'protector' anyway, so maybe a dash of pally *is* what the current recipe is lacking ...

Edit: aaaaaaaaand no. Divine Smite is about the only thing in Paladin that really suits what I'm looking for. Honestly, I'm thinking just straight Artificer might be the way to go at this point, or maybe taking Battle Master, not using the Steel Defender, and just narrating my arm as an "Eldritch Cannon"-like weapon that I unleash cantrips and such from. Shooting Firebolt from an "Eldritch Cannon" is a little underwhelming, but Artificer as a whole might be good enough to make up for it.
    Last edited by pantastic; 2020-07-07 at 11:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

I could always Paladin first, then multiclass into Artificer (having the INT will be no problem).
    This threw a little bit of a flag for me so I just want to make sure you're aware that both classes prerequisite stats matter when you multiclass, regardless what your original class was. So a Paladin/Artificer would need Str/Int/Cha all at 13+, whereas a Fighter/Artificer would just need Str/Dex and Int 13+ (and you'd want at least a 14 Dex for medium armor anyway).

28. - Top - End - #28

This threw a little bit of a flag for me so I just want to make sure you're aware that both classes prerequisite stats matter when you multiclass, regardless what your original class was. So a Paladin/Artificer would need Str/Int/Cha all at 13+, whereas a Fighter/Artificer would just need Str/Dex and Int 13+ (and you'd want at least a 14 Dex for medium armor anyway).
    Yeah, just now when looking at Paladin stats I saw it said need to multiclass in _and out_ of Paladin? Yeesh. Let's not have that discussion, just suffice to say I think it's stupid and we can move on with the pertinent discussion.

As you've probably seen from my edit above, I don't think Paladin is what I'm looking for. To recap:

I'm thinking just straight Artillerist might be the way to go at this point, or maybe taking Battle Master and not using the Steel Defender, and just narrating my arm as an "Eldritch Cannon"-like weapon that I unleash cantrips and such from. Shooting Firebolt from an "Eldritch Cannon" is a little underwhelming, but Artificer as a whole might be good enough to make up for it.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yeah, just now when looking at Paladin stats I saw it said need to multiclass in _and out_ of Paladin? Yeesh. Let's not have that discussion, just suffice to say I think it's stupid and we can move on with the pertinent discussion.

As you've probably seen from my edit above, I don't think Paladin is what I'm looking for. To recap:

I'm thinking just straight Artillerist might be the way to go at this point, or maybe taking Battle Master and not using the Steel Defender, and just narrating my arm as an "Eldritch Cannon"-like weapon that I unleash cantrips and such from. Shooting Firebolt from an "Eldritch Cannon" is a little underwhelming, but Artificer as a whole might be good enough to make up for it.
    An Artillerist does pretty well for damage (between Arcane Firearm, enhanced focus and Eldritch Cannon), something that you may be missing out on is being a competent melee fighter if you just solo Artillerist and that seemed to be part of your concept (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd suggest a Fighter dip to correct that, one level would make you adequate at damage for it to be a back up plan (+2 modifier isn't ideal, but enhanced weapon can help with that and Dueling can give you a damage boost, you won't be hitting as hard as a Battle Smith or real martial, but it gives you options and fleshes out your concept). Two levels would give you Action Surge and that would really be the best stopping place for a primary Artillerist, it gives you flexibility with your casting in combat and covers your butt if you didn't have your turrets ready to go at the start of combat.

At level 6 (Fighter 1/Artillerist 5): Your at will damage would be 2d10+1d8 (15.5- Firebolt) and 2d8 (9 Force Ballista), 24.5 average damage is pretty good, for comparison a Warlock of the same level leveraging Eldritch Blast+Agonising Blast+Hex would be doing on average 26 damage, but using a slot and their concentration (and not able to freely shift targets as well as the Artillerist). *Note this doesn't account for accuracy, accounting for accuracy would probably shift things towards the Artillerist a bit more due to the Enhanced Focus

30. - Top - End - #30

something that you may be missing out on is being a competent melee fighter if you just solo Artillerist and that seemed to be part of your concept (please correct me if I'm wrong).
    No, I think you pretty much nailed my concept. I just found out that we're doing session zero tomorrow, so I should be able to get some answers from the GM as far as what we'll be able to house-rule.