New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Halfling Monk leg puncher

Asking for Angus Anklesbane, Halfling Monk of the Kneebreaker Clan.

I'm not as up on the minutia of the rules as many of you are.
    Are there any rules for knocking people prone?

If Angus uses his halfling size to get under or behind a foe, can he then target the back of the knee or ankle in order to knock the person down?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Halfling Monk leg puncher

Generally you can replace any single attack made with the attack action with a shove/grapple attempt. If you are looking at monks then open hand monks get a free shove/prone on flurry attacks which are saved based vs ability contests like normal.the open hand techniques allows you to prone and shove a target 15 ft away with a single bonus action *assuming both attacks hit*
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2020-07-05 at 06:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Generally you can replace any single attack made with the attack action with a shove/grapple attempt. If you are looking at monks then open hand monks get a free shove/prone on flurry attacks which are saved based vs ability contests like normal.the open hand techniques allows you to prone and shove a target 15 ft away with a single bonus action *assuming both attacks hit*
    Awesome, thanks for the info.
    Let no ankle go unbitten while Angus lives to fight.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

I was going to do this exact idea except with a Gnome instead because I feel like they're probably a bit smaller maybe? Halflings have better stat bonuses for sure.

Yeah Open Hand Monks can knock enemies prone *or* push them 15ft with every Flurry of Blows.

I envisioned him cartwheeling around being super spastic and sometimes climbing enemies and jumping from enemy to enemy without ever touching the ground.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    I was going to do this exact idea except with a Gnome instead because I feel like they're probably a bit smaller maybe? Halflings have better stat bonuses for sure.

Yeah Open Hand Monks can knock enemies prone *or* push them 15ft with every Flurry of Blows.

I envisioned him cartwheeling around being super spastic and sometimes climbing enemies and jumping from enemy to enemy without ever touching the ground.
    Angus is a straight brawler.
    Classic Bar Hooligan, I picture a 3 foot tall Groundskeeper Willy with a chip on his shoulder.
    He takes advantage of his diminutive stature by specializing in leg and ankle breaking.
    He's not gonna punch you in the face until he brings you down to his level.
    Anything he can reach will get crushed.

He's gonna be fun if he ever comes to life.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Open hand can technically shove up to 35 feet away. Gotta have at least one actual attack in there to trigger flurry, but other attack can attempt a 5' shove then move forward, flurry hit 15', move up and flurry hit part 2... :p

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Leg puncher? Aim higher... particularly for stunning strike.

Open hand is a solid option if you want to do a lot of tripping, with the integrated shove. If you are after pure hijinks, Drunken Master (drinking optional!) has some benefits, though it is more focused on mobility and misdirection. Fighting gangs for charities and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    Ghostwise is best, Stout is least wasteful.
    But a Forest Gnome is as good as a Lightfoot - Int not Cha (so you know things), and a free minor illusion. Gnomes also look more the part of the mischievous diminutive ancient master.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.