New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default D&D 4e COMBAT APP, SEEKING TESTERS!

I am a hobby programmer with a keen interest in D&D. I have been developing an app to help D&D combats flow smoothly. The app is finally ready to undergo some public scrutiny in the form of a public beta test. I am looking for people who are interested in this app and who would be prepared to use it as a test with the rest of their party. I am able to take on up to 10 parties for this round of testing. App and beta details are below.

App Summary:
    The app is intended to be used to help keep track of parties’ and monsters’ vitals during combat. Each user only has to manage their own creature’s vitals. To this end, as many members of the party as possible should be using it. Creature vitals are shared between the members of the party, including the DM. Critical information is restricted on enemy devices, instead being substituted with information they are allowed to know. E.g. The status of 49/100 hp replaced with “Bloodied”. Initiative, defences, healing surges and conditions are also tracked.

Personally, I play a Cleric in my party. I find it can be frustrating when other players are not paying attention on my turn, not hearing or answering my inquiries about who needs healing. For other players, it can be helpful to know who needs some emergency protection or who can tank on the front line a little longer.

App Usage:
    Without any in app purchases, a user is able to manage and view their own creatures. If a user has the "Campaign" in-app purchase, they are given a room where users can share their creatures’ vitals. They are able to control which users can view and use this room by asking their party members to message them their user id's and pasting them into the campaign management menu. If a user has been granted access to a campaign, they are able to make use of the room, even if they do not have the in-app purchase. This means that only one user needs the purchase for everyone else in the party to use it for free if they are given access by the room 's owner.

Testing Information:
    The app is designed for the 4th edition (4e) of Dungeons and Dragons. That being said, it would probably work well for Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition (5e) if that's what you use, you’d just have to keep in mind that some of the features won’t fit perfectly. The app requires a Google (Google, YouTube or Android play store), Apple (iTunes, Apple app store) or Microsoft (Outlook, Office or Xbox) sign in to function. The app is designed to be intuitive to use if you are already a confident smart phone user. It will not cost you any money, when you contact me I will be able to provide you with codes that give you the app and the in-app purchases for free. If you have any questions please contact me. There is a questionnaire and bug reporting survey in the app, they are short to complete and your feedback is really appreciated.

The app is limited to running on iOS and Android devices. This means that party members using devices that run other operating systems, such as Windows mobiles and Mac or Windows laptops, will not be able to join in.

Applying for the Beta:
    If you would like to have access to the beta please send me a pm or an email to “[email protected]”. I will need to know whether each person in your party is an iOS or Android user and the email address for their app store account. Please include yourself in that list. This is so I can register each of them as testers on the correct stores. After that they will receive an email from Apple or Google with instructions on how to install the beta version of the app. Apple allows testers to use the app and make purchases in the app for free. Google still requires that users spend money to make these purchases, however I will provide Android users with a code so that they can gain access to the features without having to spend any of their own money.

I need YOU:
    One of the hardest aspects of app development is attracting beta participants. If you are unsure about being a tester I would ask that you give it a go! Anybody and everybody makes a good beta tester. The process is not onerous. Your participation would really make a world of difference to me.

I hope you enjoy using the app and making it ready for full release. My next project will be to make a 5e compatible version.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: D&D 4e COMBAT APP, SEEKING TESTERS!

Sounds really cool. I can't guarantee I'll be playing 4E soon, but if I do, I'll definitely keep it in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II