New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Stargirl

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Stargirl

I'm surprised nobody hasn't talked about Stargirl yet. So far I watched a few episodes of Stargirl and it's a great TV show.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Stargirl

It isn't coming across as badly as Batwoman, but some of the criticism I've heard about this series does have some merit.

The villains are very well developed, I don't understand why they didn't have her start off with the cosmic belt like her comic counterpart because that explains quite a bit about her abilities the cosmic staff is very reminiscient of Dr Strange's cape.

Still think its quite good.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I've only watched some clips on Youtube, but I've been surprised by how refreshing it is. Definitely seems a lot less cheesy than your average Arrowverse show, or maybe the cheese works well because it's Justice Society. Your mileage may vary, of course. I think they've done a good job developing a complicated heroine without relying on normal kitschy CW romance drama.

As mentioned above, the villains actually seem interesting and developed. Dragon King in particular interests me. I have a soft spot in my heart for problematic or just plain weird heroes and villains of yore being adapted well for the modern audience. Doom Patrol in particular scratches that itch well.

I hope they can maintain a level of quality for it.

Edit: It does remind me in some ways of the Runaways tv show from Marvel that is uh... Supposed to be set in the MCU I think? But Runaways was painfully cliche to watch and so far Stargirl hasn't crossed that threshold for me yet.
    Last edited by Julian84; 2020-07-06 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Extra thoughts

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Julian84 View Post
    Edit: It does remind me in some ways of the Runaways tv show from Marvel that is uh... Supposed to be set in the MCU I think? But Runaways was painfully cliche to watch and so far Stargirl hasn't crossed that threshold for me yet.
    We can probably conclude that Runaways is (or at least was) set in the MCU - in addition to its own MCU references, it canonically crossed over with Cloak & Dagger which has a bunch of references of its own. Being set in LA and New Orleans respectively put both well out of the way of NYC so both shows have a bit of breathing room.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5

It hurts to watch the show sometimes, as Courtney and pals have no grasp of OpSec. They're doing two-three things an episode that should be telling the ISA exactly who to visit in the dead of night.

The series is leaving DCU for CW starting next season, btw, so enjoy S.T.R.I.P.E. while they still have the budget to show him.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Julian84 View Post
    Yes, in addition to what Psyren said about it crossing over with Cloak and Dagger, it also crossed over with Agents of Shield...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...when the Darkhold made an appearance.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    We can probably conclude that Runaways is (or at least was) set in the MCU - in addition to its own MCU references, it canonically crossed over with Cloak & Dagger which has a bunch of references of its own. Being set in LA and New Orleans respectively put both well out of the way of NYC so both shows have a bit of breathing room.
    Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Yes, in addition to what Psyren said about it crossing over with Cloak and Dagger, it also crossed over with Agents of Shield...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...when the Darkhold made an appearance.
    I didn't mean to make this an MCU show thread but I won't complain Runaways was unbearable to watch, but I did like Cloak and Dagger way more than I expected to. Agents of Shield has always been hit or miss for me, it never seemed like they had a coherent vision for what the show should be past Season 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    It hurts to watch the show sometimes, as Courtney and pals have no grasp of OpSec. They're doing two-three things an episode that should be telling the ISA exactly who to visit in the dead of night.

The series is leaving DCU for CW starting next season, btw, so enjoy S.T.R.I.P.E. while they still have the budget to show him.
    Yeah the team does seem a bit... Dumb. But they are teenagers, and teenagers aren't very good at OpSec if they're not initiated into that sort of lifestyle.

Oh lol, guess we'll see if the writing quality takes a dive too.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I gotta say I'm loving the show's musical selections.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    It isn't coming across as badly as Batwoman, but some of the criticism I've heard about this series does have some merit.

The villains are very well developed, I don't understand why they didn't have her start off with the cosmic belt like her comic counterpart because that explains quite a bit about her abilities the cosmic staff is very reminiscent of Dr Strange's cape.

Still think its quite good.
    Because the staff is more iconic to the character.

Stargirl has previously appeared in Justice League Unlimited, Smallville, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Justice League Action, a couple video games oh and Legends of Tomorrow. In each incarnation she had a staff. So there is no need to over-complicate matters by introducing the belt when the staff symbolizes the hero more.
    So now you know whenever she's appeared outside the comics she had a staff.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Really enjoying it, can't wait to see who gets the lantern. I mean, with enough will power, it is the most powerful gear in the world.
    Good cast of villians.

Curious when Grundy gets shown, a large zombie-like Grundy will be interesting.

11. - Top - End - #11

From what we saw in Grundy in the opening, he's not a zombie. More of a general brick.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Really enjoying it, can't wait to see who gets the lantern.
    Maybe no one will. Stripesy mentioned that they don't have the ring.

Besides,
    Spoiler: possible Arrowverse spoilers
    Show
    they're already leaning towards Diggle becoming the Lantern on Earth Prime (probably on the upcoming Superman & Lois show, since he mentioned moving to Metropolis at the end of Arrow), and they probably don't want to have competing Lanterns even though they're not on the same Earth.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2020-07-10 at 08:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Well, at this point it's anyone's guess when filming will restart, or even if. A long enough wait and some of these plot threads will go away just because of actor availability.

If I was guessing who'll get the lantern, Cindy's former bestie happens to have the same name as Jade.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I really wish we'd gotten a good Runaways adaptation. The series we got has so little in common with the comics that it may as well have been its own unique property.

At least the casting was spot on.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

The ISA is more flushed out and interesting then the heroes. Courtney is too impulsive and hot headed and Midnite, so far, is pretty much useless.

I'm just waiting for The Shade to show up

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
    Courtney is too impulsive and hot headed
    Well, she's a teenager. I find her self-centered inclinations, despite trying to be a leader and a hero, to be pretty realistic for someone of her age. I certainly didn't know much about real life or responsibilities when I was her age, although I thought I did and was pretty cocky about it back then.

She could be a great leader if she was five or ten years older. Until then, she'll just barely hold the team together on the idea of heroic idealism and the off chance they all don't screw everything up. And that's more or less the best case scenario.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

What are the odds the Shade actually rescued Doctor Midnite instead of killed him?

What if that "AI" is actually Midnite talking to Beth?

After all those deductions make far more sense if he had been investigating the area and maybe warned Rick's dad so that footage was actually recorded by one of his drones or owl keeping an eye on them at the time.

Remember that Owl in the JSA museum or was that their headquarters?

Maybe its there because the original Dr Midnite is also there.

How likely is that?
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2020-07-14 at 10:25 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

So it turns out
    Spoiler
    Show
    that Courtney's father WASN'T Star Man after all.

And it didn't surprise me that the Dad was a manipulative jerk, but I still felt bad when he finally shows his true colors.

19. - Top - End - #19

So Pat was right again? Excuse me while I go put on my shocked face.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Ditto about Pat's reaction!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I'm surprised nobody hasn't talked about Stargirl yet. So far I watched a few episodes of Stargirl and it's a great TV show.
    So who is the star of Stargirl?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    So who is the star of Stargirl?
    Brec Bassinger.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So far the Cosmic Staff!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

So between the most recent episode and all of the X-Men films, I'm left to believe that a large, spherical chamber with a lateral bridge into the center point just must be the most efficient way to mind control people.