New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Futuristic Weapons

Newest version.
    Partially associated with age of warriors project.
    Spoiler: Content
    Show
    Spoiler: Rules
    Show
    Rules for futuristic weapons. No futuristic weapons are magic weapons, but in some settings, an futuristic weapon could be magic as well. Different types of futuristic weapons cannot overlap. All Characters can initially use future weapons, but suffer a (-10) penalty on all attack rolls with them, and cannot have proficiency with any future item. Characters that are proficient with the base weapon a future weapon is based on can use them with only a (-5) penalty, and still cannot become proficient with future weapons, even if they are already proficient with the base weapon the future item is based on.
    Spoiler: Anachronaut Feat
    Show

Prerequisite: Intelligence 16
    Characters with the Anachronaut feat defy time itself, and possess advanced knowledge of future technology. These characters no longer have any penalty with future tech items, and instead gain proficiency with them.

Spoiler: Plasma Weapons
    Show
    Plasma weapons change the damage type of the weapon to Searing Fire damage. It additionally deals an extra damage die of Desiccation damage included in the attack. Melee plasma weapons shed light in a 10 foot radius when activated.
    A plasma weapon must be an explosive, firearm, or bladed weapon.

Spoiler: Laser Weapons
    Show
    Laser weapons change the damage type of the weapon to Searing Fire damage. It additionally deals an extra damage die of Desiccation damage included in the attack. Ranged laser have double the range of the base weapon. Melee laser weapons shed light in a 20 foot radius when activated. laser attacks Ignore 2 points of AC from armor, and each successful hit reduces the benefit of said armor by 1. When the AC bonus is reduced to 0, the armor is destroyed. lasers always travel in a straight line when fired, meaning they cannot arc. Lasers will redirect if fired at a reflective surface.
    A laser weapon must be a firearm, or bladed weapon.

Spoiler: Gauss Weapons
    Show
    Gauss weapons are the usual damage type for the weapon. Damage dealt by Gauss weapons is multiplied by four as part of the attack. Gauss weapons have twice the range of the base weapon. In addition, Gauss weapons deal an extra two damage dice of of Sonic damage, and an extra two of Fire damage as well.
    A Gauss weapon must be a firearm.

Spoiler: Atomic Weapons
    Show
    Atomic weapons deal Searing Fire damage instead of the usual type. Damage dealt by atomic weapons is multiplied by eight as part of the attack. In addition, atomic weapons deal an extra three damage dice of of Sonic damage, and 2d4 Constitution damage
    An atomic weapon must be an explosive, or firearm.

Spoiler: Antimatter Weapons
    Show
    Antimatter weapons deal Untyped damage. Damage dealt by antimatter weapons is multiplied by 16 as part of the attack. In addition, antimatter weapons deal an extra four damage dice of of Sonic damage, and an extra four of Fire damage.
    An antimatter weapon must be an explosive, or firearm.

Spoiler: Ammunition
    Show
    Ammunition is required to use any firearm based future weapon. This ammo comes at a cost.
    • Plasma and Laser - Energy Cells - 5 thousand/each
    • Gauss - Sabot - 1 thousand/each
    • Atomic - Unique - 100 million gp/each
    • Antimatter - Unique - 1 quadrillion gp/each

Before you say that these are OP, yes they are. That is the point.
    I had to actually nerf these from real world standards.
    I want to make sure that these would be playable in 3.5e
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2020-07-09 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Version 4

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Futuristic Weapons

Some of the terms you're using here are either a little confusing, or don't really exist in 3.5. You reference "Disadvantage" in the Anachronaut feat, but disadvantage isn't a thing in 3.5, so you'll need to explain exactly what that means.

Is Searing Fire damage different from regular fire damage? What is Crushing damage? What is Desiccation damage?

For laser weapons, ignoring AC entirely is probably too much. What I would suggest is... how did it go? Ignoring 2 points of AC from armor, then each successful hit reducing said armor by 1. When the AC bonus is reduced to 0, the armor is destroyed. Still a little OP, but not overwhelmingly so.

Also. These weapons should NOT have an auto-death save. Full stop. If you're going to multiply the base weapon damage on a REGULAR hit, that's not necessary, and neither is adding these magical properties. It already deals fire damage, it doesn't ALSO need to have the flaming burst quality.

And what is an "Untyped" saving throw?
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    Some of the terms you're using here are either a little confusing, or don't really exist in 3.5. You reference "Disadvantage" in the Anachronaut feat, but disadvantage isn't a thing in 3.5, so you'll need to explain exactly what that means.
    I will scrap that. Unless there is an alternative

Is Searing Fire damage different from regular fire damage? What is Crushing damage? What is Desiccation damage?
    Searing fire is so hot that it ignore fire resistance, and reduces immunity to resistance. It is from a metamagic if I remember.
    Desiccation is damage from lack of moisture in the body. It is from the Dessication spell originally
    Crushing is just damage that is melee but should be separated from the other types. It is just like falling damage.

For laser weapons, ignoring AC entirely is probably too much. What I would suggest is... how did it go? Ignoring 2 points of AC from armor, then each successful hit reducing said armor by 1. When the AC bonus is reduced to 0, the armor is destroyed. Still a little OP, but not overwhelmingly so.
    That is a good idea! I might use it!

Also. These weapons should NOT have an auto-death save. Full stop. If you're going to multiply the base weapon damage on a REGULAR hit, that's not necessary, and neither is adding these magical properties. It already deals fire damage, it doesn't ALSO need to have the flaming burst quality.
    I see now. You are right. Most of them are powerful enough without autodeath anyway. Also, yes, I suppose flaming burst is redundant. I just added it since the other two had it. I will fix the whole thundering and flame burst, but the effects may still be there.

And what is an "Untyped" saving throw?
    I came up with it. You don't add modifiers unless the modifiers would apply to all saves regardless of type. It is intentionally really hard to pass. You would have to get lucky.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Advantage and disadvantage are simple and make sense, IMO it's fine to back-port them into 3e.

The desiccation damage is extremely niche, I'd just make it untyped.

The "untyped" saving throws would probably be Fortitude saving throws, but if you want to use untyped, you should explain the rules for it.

Multiplying damage is weird, just make it do higher base damage if that's what you want.

Hm, I know Primal doesn't like the antimatter SOD sticks but I think for antimatter it makes sense. Don't have them be save or die and also have multiplied damage though. Probably remove damage entirely and just have it be SOD, 6d6 damage even on successful save.

Agree with Primal that trying to incorporate enhancements like flaming burst into this doesn't make sense.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I updated some stuff, will update more.

Update: it is fixed.
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2020-07-06 at 03:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Also, Desiccation should not be Untyped.
    Here's why
    I based it off of the extreme heat of the attacks.
    Whenever liquids get hot, they evaporate.
    The gases try to escape.
    Then you can explode.
    That is how the BFG works.
    I think.
    Science.

Any creature that lacks moisture altogether (such as a construct) is unaffected.
    Plants and some elementals are double effected.
    Science.
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2020-07-06 at 03:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Hm, I know Primal doesn't like the antimatter SOD sticks but I think for antimatter it makes sense. Don't have them be save or die and also have multiplied damage though. Probably remove damage entirely and just have it be SOD, 6d6 damage even on successful save.
    I realized that Antimatter was already overkill beyond broken, so I axed it.
    Examples:
    Average hit with with a 3d8 damage rifle.
    192 untyped +16 sonic +16 fire = 224 damage (416 with critical)
    This isn't considering that it affects all creatures in a 240 foot radius. Update, removed the radius.
    Antimatter will still 2-shot a tarrasque.
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2020-07-07 at 01:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

What is bladed Laser???
    And No, SW swords are not Laser actually.

Why Gauss Weapons do extra sonic and fire damage?

Atomic and Antimatter firearm? Seriously? Atomic Glock? Antimatter AK-47?
    They should be explosive only.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2020-07-07 at 04:42 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    What is bladed Laser???
    And No, SW swords are not Laser actually.

Why Gauss Weapons do extra sonic and fire damage?

Atomic and Antimatter firearm? Seriously? Atomic Glock? Antimatter AK-47?
    They should be explosive only.
    A bladed laser is supposed to be a lightsaber. If lightsabers aren't laser, does it matter? I tried to be science heavy with stats. But you know everyone wants to have a lightsaber. And fun is an important gameplay element.

When you get hit with something that fast, I figure there is going to be an explosion. I saw it in a video of a demonstration of a railgun. Those things light stuff up.

Yes you can have antimatter and atomic firearms. I was inspired by the Fatman from Fallout. It fires a mini nuke. Antimatter bullets could also exist, although they would be expensive as multiple entire countries. Both could exist, so why not, you can snipe an enemy and watch them be destroyed in a massive explosion.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

More weapons!
    These ones are supposed to be really fun!
    This time I explored ability score damage.
    I was going for an alien theme.
    This is a version 2 list.

Spoiler: Manmelter
    Show
    Manmelting weapons change the damage type of the weapon to Acid damage. It additionally deals an extra 1d4 Constitiution damage. Manmelting attacks Ignore 2 points of AC from armor, and each successful hit reduces the benefit of said armor by 1. When the AC bonus is reduced to 0, the armor is destroyed.
    A manmelting weapon must be a firearm.

Spoiler: Mindmelter
    Show
    Mindmelting weapons change the damage type of the weapon to Untyped damage. It additionally deals an extra 1d4 Intelligence damage and 1d4 Wisdom damage. Mindmelting attacks Ignore 4 points of AC from armor.
    A mindmelting weapon must be a firearm.

Spoiler: Zapper
    Show
    Zapping weapons change the damage type of the weapon to Lightning damage. It additionally deals an extra 1d4 Strength damage and 1d4 Dexterity damage.
    A zapping weapon must be a firearm.

Spoiler: Overall - Trivia
    Show
    All weapons use energy cells.
    I used Untyped damage for the Mindmelter since there is no psychic/mental damage.
    The original model that I wrote these weapons onto was laser.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2020-07-07 at 01:48 PM. Reason: 2

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Would it be a good idea to remove AoE effects for these. I think it would make it more fair. Maybe less broken.
    An Atomic Glock would damage all enemies in a 120 foot radius sphere. I think I should remove them.

What do you guys think?
    Also, should atomic do Con damage?

Uppdate, I made the above changes.
    Note that all ability score damages will be in d4s, and only a few at once, since many weapons have larger damage dice.
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2020-07-07 at 08:52 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

I feel like there should be a stronger balancing factor against these weapons. Making them prohibitively expensive doesn't feel right, and putting the user in danger also feels like too much. Maybe some sort of charge time before it's fired?
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

I feel like there should be a stronger balancing factor against these weapons. Making them prohibitively expensive doesn't feel right, and putting the user in danger also feels like too much. Maybe some sort of charge time before it's fired?
    For energy cell weapons, you might have to recharge energy cells after use, and that could take some time. I think this is probably the best option.

Version 3
    Spoiler: Energy Cells
    Show
    Energy cells are used to power futuristic tech. There are a few different kinds of energy batteries.
    Spoiler: Energy Cell
    Show
    • Cost - 5 thousand gp/1
    • Weight - 5lbs/~2kg
    • Hardness - 10

Basic energy cells count as a full clip for any weapon that takes them. Once it is expended, it must charge for 1 hour before it can be used again. If destroyed it acts as an Atomic grenade and detonates the next round.

Spoiler: Heavy Energy Cell
    Show
    • Cost - 15 thousand gp/1
    • Weight - 20lbs/~9kg
    • Hardness - 15

Heavy energy cells count as five full clips for any weapon that takes them. Once it is expended, it must charge for 3 hours before it can be used again. If destroyed it acts as an Atomic grenade and detonates the next round.

None of the future weapons are really dangerous to the user. I got rid of AoE. Before that, if you wielded an Atomic Glock, and shot a nearby (30ft.) enemy you would be incinerated by the massive explosion. Now that isn't a risk.
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2020-07-07 at 11:36 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Appearance of rays when fired, and how they work
    Flavor reasons.
    • Manmelter - Crackling sickly green bolt - Causes target to melt into a puddle
    • Mindmelter - Purple rings - No visible effect, brain becomes liquid
    • Zapper - Electric blue bolt - Leave target unable to move
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2020-07-07 at 01:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

I am thinking of doing a major rework of all weapons. That would be tomorrow

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Since I am redoing everything I think I will make a new thread, does that sound ok?
    I really need an answer.
    Maybe not.

Nah.
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2020-07-08 at 07:08 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Weapons of the Far Future 2 - Rebooted
    Everything before this is retconned.

This is currently Version 3

Spoiler: Weapons
    Show
    Spoiler: Laser Weapons
    Show
    Unusual Damage
    Lasers deal Searing Lightning damage instead of the usual damage type. It does not electrocute. It instead slices through objects, and vivisects enemies.
    Armor Cutter
    Lasers ignore 2 points of AC from armor, and each successful hit reduces the benefit of said armor by 1. When the AC bonus is reduced to 0, the armor is destroyed.
    Beam
    Lasers always travel in straight lines, and will redirect when fired at a reflective surface.
    You get an extra -10 to your Hide check to hide while firing a Laser Weapon, and any creature that see the target being shot can guess at the general direction from whence the shot came.
    Weapon Prerequisites
    Laser weapons can only be crossbows, or firearms.
    Futuristic Masterwork
    The stats above are for a non-masterwork Laser Weapon. Wielding masterwork futuristic weapons provides a +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls. Unfortunately, they are very delicate, reducing their Hardness by 2, and and they are instantly destroyed by immersion in salt water, mud, sand, or similar similar substances.

Spoiler: Plasma Weapons
    Show
    Unusual Damage
    Plasma deal Searing Fire damage instead of the usual damage type.
    Weapon Prerequisites
    Plasma weapons can only be firearms.
    Futuristic Masterwork
    The stats above are for a non-masterwork Plasma Weapon. Wielding masterwork futuristic weapons provides a +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls. Unfortunately, they are very delicate, reducing their Hardness by 2, and and they are instantly destroyed by immersion in salt water, mud, sand, or similar similar substances.

Spoiler: Heat Ray
    Show
    Unusual Damage
    Heat rays deal Scalding damage instead of the usual damage type. This is because they heat up all moisture in a living creature, effectively microwaving them like a flesh burrito.
    Beam
    Heat Rays always travel in straight lines, and will redirect when fired at a reflective surface.
    You get an extra -10 to your Hide check to hide while firing a Heat Ray, and any creature that see the target being shot can guess at the general direction from whence the shot came.
    Weapon Prerequisites
    Laser weapons can only be firearms.
    Futuristic Masterwork
    The stats above are for a non-masterwork Heat Ray. Wielding masterwork futuristic weapons provides a +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls. Unfortunately, they are very delicate, reducing their Hardness by 2, and and they are instantly destroyed by immersion in salt water, mud, sand, or similar similar substances.

Spoiler: Death Ray
    Show
    Ability Score Damage
    Death Rays deal Constitution damage instead of the usual damage type. This makes them extremely dangerous.
    Beam
    Death Rays always travel in straight lines, and will redirect when fired at a reflective surface.
    You get an extra -10 to your Hide check to hide while firing a Death Ray, and any creature that see the target being shot can guess at the general direction from whence the shot came.
    Weapon Prerequisites
    Laser weapons can only be firearms.
    Futuristic Masterwork
    The stats above are for a non-masterwork Death Ray. Wielding masterwork futuristic weapons provides a +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls. Unfortunately, they are very delicate, reducing their Hardness by 2, and and they are instantly destroyed by immersion in salt water, mud, sand, or similar similar substances.

Spoiler: Manmelters
    Show
    Unusual Damage
    Manmelters deal Searing Acid damage instead of the usual damage type. Targets killed by a manmelter melt into puddles of goo.
    Armor Melter
    Manmelters ignore 2 points of AC from armor, and each successful hit reduces the benefit of said armor by 1. When the AC bonus is reduced to 0, the armor is destroyed.
    Weapon Prerequisites
    Manmelters can only be firearms.
    Futuristic Masterwork
    The stats above are for a non-masterwork Manmelter. Wielding masterwork futuristic weapons provides a +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls. Unfortunately, they are very delicate, reducing their Hardness by 2, and and they are instantly destroyed by immersion in salt water, mud, sand, or similar similar substances.

Spoiler: Energy Cells
    Show

• Price - Future / 500 gp* / 1
    • Weight - 10 pounds
    • Hardness - 15

Futuristic firearms are powered by a special type of ammunition called energy cells. An energy cell contains enough power for all the shots its firearm can make before being depleted. When an energy cell has been depleted, it must charge for 8 hours in sunlight before it can be used again. It can also be charged in fore for 1 hour.
    *May be worth more depending on the time period, and setting.
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2020-07-08 at 01:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

@Age of Warriors people If you need a quote or catchphrase for the futuristic items section.
    "It's about time."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

I will be rewriting the weapons to match a 3.5e style of writing closer.
    I may also change the damage type of laser.
    Just letting you know in advance

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

I will soon add the Vibe Blade Weapon

It vibrates so fast it can cut through anything.
    It has Super Searing which reduces even immune to normal, and resistant to vulnerable.
    It also has super cutter, which rapidly degrades armor.
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2020-07-08 at 01:27 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Also, all stuff has been moved to a doc, soon to be pdf.
    Here it is!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Lasers burn things - why do you have them doing electrical damage?

Vibro-weapons are bladed weapons, which is typically resisted by damage reduction rather than energy resistance or immunity.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Vibro blades ignore any immunity, resistance, and damage reduction.

Lasers are light which is electromagnetic I think. Also, It is hard to find a suitable damage for laser. There is no radiant damage.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Light is part of the electromagnetic spectrum, yes, but lasers still burn things, whether that's skin or retinas. You mention that they cauterise wounds, which is also an application of heat, rather than electricity.

If you intend vibro-weapons to ignore DR, then you should make that obvious.

Also, why are there no plasma melee weapons? How can I be a space-wizard without my energy blade?
    Last edited by Caelestion; 2020-07-09 at 08:47 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Ok, should I make lasers heat damage then?

Also, someone complained that light and plasma swords shouldn't be a thing, and I said lightsabers, and they said that lightsabers weren't laser, but I just went to Wookiepedia, and it said yes.

So I don't know.
    This is supposed to be realistic though.
    A plasma sword would just be a realy long plasma torch in the end.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Made some changes. fixed damage.
    Axed communicator and vibro blade, and they may be re added at a later date.

Laser and heat ray are basically the same, but laser can cut through armor. That's it.
    That and different rp flavor.
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2020-07-09 at 09:21 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

they look very underwhelming for future weapons.
    and what would be the practical difference from heat ray and laser? what is a "death ray"? or a "manmelter"?

i actually liked much better the first iteration
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Look, I made some really powerful in the beginning.
    Lasers used to be able to instakill (with save) targets under 50 hp.
    Antimatter(now gone) could would kill all targets in a 240 foot radius sphere. Any survivers would still take 400-700 damage.
    I will make them more powerful.

3.5e has gun stats as well. Those have to be read first because these futuristic weapons build off of the modern ones.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

New update on the google doc.
    This is a repost of the link as well.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Made another update cut a lot of content.
    I will add and re add more.