New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default So, do you feel a little sorry for Redcloak now?

Durkon have met his god, but not RC. Even {scrubbed} like me find that a little sad:(
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-07-06 at 03:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: So, do you feel a little sorry for Redcloak now?

Suuuure...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Oh my, this is precious. Poor unloved
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    kinslaying
    Redcloak.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's possible to feel sorry for someone, even if they're objectively not a good person or have done objectively evil things. Either way, it seems to me that Redcloak is being written very purposefully as sympathetic - and if not that, even just empathetic. Feeling that one is putting in a huge amount of work / sacrificing something
    Spoiler
    Show
    whether that's time or funds or personal health or even, hell, your own kin
    just to find that the person you're sacrificing for doesn't seem to care, and then realise someone else is doing the exact same thing and is being rewarded ten times over is an incredibly common feeling and a lot of people are going to relate to it. Even if they aren't magical evil green priests who can implode people.

The main question, to me, is whether you see it as 'tragic villain realising all of his villainy is pretty much for moot for an uncaring god, possibly starting a chain of events that could lead to some form of atonement' or 'Local Goblin Experiences Consequences For Working For An Evil God Who Has Never Shown To Be Anything But, Shocked and Stunned'.
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Default So, do you feel a little sorry for Redcloak now?

Quote Originally Posted by deltamire View Post
    Feeling that one is putting in a huge amount of work / sacrificing something
    Spoiler
    Show
    whether that's time or funds or personal health or even, hell, your own kin
    just to find that the person you're sacrificing for doesn't seem to care, and then realise someone else is doing the exact same thing and is being rewarded ten times over is an incredibly common feeling and a lot of people are going to relate to it. Even if they aren't magical evil green priests who can implode people.
    yeah.
    'Local Goblin Experiences Consequences For Working For An Evil God Who Has Never Shown To Be Anything But, Shocked and Stunned'.
    I'd have used a semi colon rather than a comman, but I vote for this one (due to having read SoD). When I look at the Azure City / Gobotopia strips after Jirix makes the presentation to the adoring crowds, Jirix seems to have more charisma, more crowd appeal.
    Reddie is unlikeable, and Xykon rubs it in his face.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-07-06 at 03:14 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    yeah.
    I'd have used a semi colon rather than a comman, but I vote for this one (due to having read SoD).
    I've never fully learned how to properly implement the particular differences between the colon, the comma, and the semicolon, and I'm not about to start now!

Yes, I know that it's conjunction vs no conjunction in terms of comma vs semicolon, and I believe that a colon is used for a clause that isn't technically a sentence and is instead a list or singular word, but knowing and putting into practise are two different beasts.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I've never fully learned how to properly implement the particular differences between the colon, the comma, and the semicolon, and I'm not about to start now![/color]
    It took me forever to learn how to use a semicolon. My mental trick is to check and see if each clause that it separates can stand alone as a sentence or a complete thought. (The comma does not have that requirement, generally). I still have trouble with it, though, so my suggestion has maybe a 70% confidence value although I could have written it like this:

I still have trouble with it; my suggestion has maybe a 70% confidence value.

Or, I could have written it like this:
    I still have trouble with it. My suggestion has maybe a 70% confidence value.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-07-07 at 12:34 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

"There, there, you human-killing-enslaving person."

But seriously, look at the smilie of the thread. It's even got a

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    . . . look at the smilie of the thread. It's even got a
    Something I've been meaning to ask, but was too embarrassed to in case I was somehow the only person not in the know;* who, or what, assigns those wee smilies? Does Burlew assign them when he creates the page update, as that's how normal threads offer the option to have an image beside them? Randomised? Does that mean we might get a during the darkest hour? A during the tearful reunion between the Order and their loved ones?

*See, I do know how to use them! : )

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Lightbulb Re: So, do you feel a little sorry for Redcloak now?

Something I've been meaning to ask, but was too embarrassed to in case I was somehow the only person not in the know;* who, or what, assigns those wee smilies? Does Burlew assign them when he creates the page update, as that's how normal threads offer the option to have an image beside them? Randomised? Does that mean we might get a during the darkest hour? A during the tearful reunion between the Order and their loved ones?

Whenever you post, you can choose a post icon (below the text box when writing a post). That will apply said icon to the title of the post (for example, I chose the lightbulb icon, since I am spreading illumination). When making a new thread, you can do the same thing, which will show the post icon in the thread title.

So yes, The Giant is the one who assigns them when he creates the "new comic" threads. I can't say the next part with any authority, but I would imagine that, much as how he chooses the title for the strip at the last minute based on what he thinks is appropriate, he similarly chooses a post icon smiley right before he puts the new thread up, and chooses whatever one he feels is appropriate for that strip.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So yes, The Giant is the one who assigns them when he creates the "new comic" threads. I can't say the next part with any authority, but I would imagine that, much as how he chooses the title for the strip at the last minute based on what he thinks is appropriate, he similarly chooses a post icon smiley right before he puts the new thread up, and chooses whatever one he feels is appropriate for that strip.
    I see. Thank you for clarifying!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

In order to be able to speak with your God directly, you need to be Dead. Like Durkon was when he spoke with Thor. Or like Jirix was, when he supposedly meet The Dark One.

So, I don't feel sorry for Redcloak. Good to have kept yourself alive so long, boy!
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2020-07-06 at 04:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I feel sorry for Redcloak for a lot of things. He’s very much a character shaped by his tragic flaws and I pity him for where that’s led him. Now, considering what he’s done, I do understand why he might not have garnered a whole lot of sympathy here...

Peelee’s Lotsey

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    In order to be able to speak with your God directly, you need to be Dead. Like Durkon was when he spoke with Thor. Or like Jirix was, when he supposedly meet The Dark One.
    Commune works, albeit rarely.

14. - Top - End - #14

GreataxeFighterGirl

Does that mean we might get a during the darkest hour? A during the tearful reunion between the Order and their loved ones?
    Clearly the most appropriate reaction to Xykon dying destroyed:

In more seriousness, Redcloak is on the more sympathetic side of villains; he has an entire half-of-a-book devoted to it. With the exception of Therkla and maaaybe Nale, I can't really name other prominent villains who are meant to be sympathized -- however lightly -- with.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I felt a bit sorry for Redcloak when he tells his mirror reflection "It'll all be worth it. You'll see.", which resembles ('cause the mirror reverses left-right the image) his brother that he killed while defending Xykon.

This strip?

Not so much.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Nah, I'm okay. I hope he gets his comeuppance.

17. - Top - End - #17

Lizardfolk

Already felt sorry for him, but this thing with his god comes across more as a bit of comedy than an actual tragedy.

18. - Top - End - #18

Well, they do say tragedy plus time equals comedy, so considering it's been 35 years...
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

19. - Top - End - #19

Lizardfolk

Yeah I feel sorry for redcloak. I'm probably misguided and wrong. But I do, just a little at least. i think it's easier for me coz I have no clue what happens in the prequel books, and I'm assuming it doesn't show redcloak in the most... sympathetic light.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Yeah I feel sorry for redcloak. I'm probably misguided and wrong. But I do, just a little at least. i think it's easier for me coz I have no clue what happens in the prequel books, and I'm assuming it doesn't show redcloak in the most... sympathetic light.
    .... It does and doesn't. I highly regiment checking them out if you get the chance, they're fantastic.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    With the exception of Therkla and maaaybe Nale, I can't really name other prominent villains who are meant to be sympathized -- however lightly -- with.
    Tsukiko and Crystal (to a lesser extent) spring to mind - also maybe not-Durkon.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

'Local Goblin Experiences Consequences For Working For An Evil God Who Has Never Shown To Be Anything But, Shocked and Stunned'.
    This made me laugh so hard. But now all I can think of is "Goblin Still Looks Like a Teenager at 50* With This Weird Trick--Doctors HATE Him!"

I felt sorry for Redcloak, a bit, in the mirror scene. This one didn't garner a whole lot of sympathy points from me.

*Guesstimate

Something I've been meaning to ask, but was too embarrassed to in case I was somehow the only person not in the know;* who, or what, assigns those wee smilies?

Isn't that actually the place for a colon, not a semi-colon? I just try to remember it as colon for lists, semi-colon for things that could be standalone sentences. But I've never been one who remembered rigid rules for language, I've always just gone by what "seems right". :P
    Last edited by Mariele; 2020-07-07 at 09:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bravelove View Post
    people on this forum seeing the no politics sign: huh i wonder what that's for, can't be me, anyways time to compare the comic to politics again-
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    The people on this forum are the most pedantic group of people I have ever seen, that why.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mariele View Post
    Isn't that actually the place for a colon, not a semi-colon?
    . . . I have brought shame upon my family. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to walk into the Irish sea. Excuse me.

Okay, I've done some research and I believe I'm correct. Semicolons iare for a non-fragment or a sentence that can stand up on its own, and colons are for a list or a set of words that can't. My second clause seems to be a full-on sentence, so I'm preeeetty sure I'm in safe territory? If I am not, I'm perfectly happy with walking back into the sea.
    Last edited by deltamire; 2020-07-07 at 12:21 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mariele View Post
    Something I've been meaning to ask, but was too embarrassed to in case I was somehow the only person not in the know;* who, or what, assigns those wee smilies?

Isn't that actually the place for a colon, not a semi-colon?
    Okay, I've done some research and I believe I'm correct. Semicolons iare for a non-fragment or a sentence that can stand up on its own, and colons are for a list or a set of words that can't. My second clause seems to be a full-on sentence, so I'm preeeetty sure I'm in safe territory?
    Since your first clause is an incomplete thought that's completed by the second clause (the "something"), I believe a colon (in its emphasizing capacity) would be more appropriate.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Since your first clause is an incomplete thought that's completed by the second clause (the "something"), I believe a colon (in its emphasizing capacity) would be more appropriate.
    Back into the sea I go, then!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Spamalot in the Playground

I highly doubt the story will end with any of the following:

• "And the Snarl ate the world, leaving one more marker to the gods' futility floating in the Astral. The Order and Redcloak's struggles were all pointless. Ooo, new coastline! The end."
    • "And the Snarl ate all the gods AND the world, ending the cycle forever. The Order and Redcloak's struggles were all pointless, no more coastlines. The end."
    • "And so the gods locked away the Snarl forever - and in doing so, returned all the goblins to their rightful place as adventuring cannon-fodder. Redcloak's struggles were all pointless. Same coastline though! The end."

In other words - I expect that both what Redcloak is trying to do and what the Order is trying to do will have a meaningful impact. Whether either faction survives to see it is up in the air, but that's why reading is exciting.

(And evidently, the planet inside the rift is a wildcard to everybody.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2020-07-07 at 01:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    It's a little more complicated than that. It's an excellent book, and it will make you root like hell for Redcloak and his fellow goblins. It will make you really invest in some impossible, Kobiyashi-Maru-style choices Redcloak has to make. And yeah, you'll curse him for choosing the path he did.

The story will really make you hate Xykon, though, in ways that the main comic never does.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    The story will really make you hate Xykon, though, in ways that the main comic never does.
    Xykon is awesome - and he seems to have always been awesome.

Spoiler: SOD
    Show

I kindof hope he still has Barky - possibly as a stitched flesh familiar with an Int approaching 20 (probably not there yet).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Xykon is awesome - and he seems to have always been awesome.

Spoiler: SOD
    Show

I kindof hope he still has Barky - possibly as a stitched flesh familiar with an Int approaching 20 (probably not there yet).
    When your familiar is smarter than you ... you may be a sorcerer.

30. - Top - End - #30

I just wanted to point it out that you do not need to be dead to speak directly with your deity, as Durkula did it during his brief unlife. So it seems to be a choice of the Dark One not to directly speak to Redcloak, not something that can't be.

Still the theological reveletion passed by Jyrix should count somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    New suggestion: the MitD is an Italian Protean. Mamma mia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Eyyy, I'm-a shiftin' da shapes and-a helping my amico Signore Stiffliano escape! Easyducio! Bada bing!