New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The World All In Fog [IC]

Spoiler: Seraphim
    Show
    You're ready. You don't know what exactly will be awaiting you-but you've prepared as best you can.

A dirigible, much smaller than the main Seraphim, is awaiting to take you down to the mountain's peak. You climb in, securing yourself as best you can, and it sets off. You can see the mountain, cresting just above the fog.

It's a short flight. The pilot doesn't say much-he seems eager to be anywhere but there. But he does his job, landing at a flat plateau on the peak. You're barely off when it takes flight again, leaving you to begin your exploration.

Spoiler: The Land That Was
    Show
    You make your way just out of some of the caverns, and see something you haven't seen in forever. The sun-it shines down, illuminating the fog that stretches endlessly across the world. And, up above, you see a small, floating boat, rapidly climbing above the clouds that still sit, white and puffy, above the fog.

OOC Thread
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-07-07 at 12:21 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The World All In Fog [IC]

(Presuming we don’t see each other yet since you didn’t mention it)
    Well, there’s no going back now, it’ll take a few days to descend the mountain, once we get to the bottom we should start looking for settlements. Are you ready to go?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Spatha paused a moment to rebalance his backpack and tighten the loops as he looked fascinated at the shimmer of sunlight: "You were right after all, my friend. This mountain does in fact stretch beyond the clouds. Onward, our destination is nearly at hand"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rhel, holding her symbol of the Raven Queen, spreads her hands and wings and looks up to the heavens. A bit of light bursts of the symbol, striking both Jondar and herself before disappating. They both feel a slight warmth in their chest, and feel bolstered by the spell.

Now I am ready. I will take a quick survey of our location.

She flaps her wings a few times and does a circle around the plateau they find themselves on, only about 50 feet up and about 100 feet in diameter.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophilios View Post
    Spatha paused a moment to rebalance his backpack and tighten the loops as he looked fascinated at the shimmer of sunlight: "You were right after all, my friend. This mountain does in fact stretch beyond the clouds. Onward, our destination is nearly at hand"
    Niobe, after a short moment of perplexity regarding the bright light, jumps into the sunshine. "Yes! We did it, my friend. We really did it!" Removing her cloak, she stands there, hands and face towards the sky, as if greeting it. She enthusiastically hops towards Spatha and - unless he has shown an aversion against it in their past friendship - hugs him. She then seems to ponder his words. Right, there were still a few steps to go and ... "Wait a second, is that a ... flying boat?" She asks, pointing to the curious object in the sky, protecting her eyes with her hand.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

We presumably both have 14 temp HP from Inspiring Leader, unless DM says we already sustained damage since our last rest.
    Also, if you did not roll for it yet, here's a perception check to further identify the boat-thing. Perception - (1d20+6)[18]

6. - Top - End - #6

Spoiler: Niobe's Perception
    Show
    The boat seems to be leaving from just around the bend. It's a complicated piece of arcane technology-one that'd be interesting to study, and is also rapidly moving further away.

You also spot a flying birdwoman, looking about the mountaintop.

Spoiler: Rhel's Vision
    Show
    You see two people-both humanoid, though one mechanical-just beyond your landing spot, near a cave entrance.

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Oh, good thinking: Spatha will have used this short rest spell slots to cast Aid on both him and Niobe for an additional 5 HP.
    His familiar Scowl (Owl) is currently in its extradimenisonal pocket.

Hugging Spatha was a bit like hugging a trash compactor, but he didn't mind at all. Throughout their travels he had found the bard to be a very pleasant companion - more so now that it seemed like they had indeed come close to reaching their goal.

Looking in the direction Niobe had indicated, his eyes glowed a bit more intense for a moment - an expression that Niobe by now could identify as a puzzled frown.
    "You seem to be correct. Curious. So the rumors are true - there are people living beyond the fog. Let's continue carefully onward. Establishing friendly relations will be key for our endeavour - but so is staying alive."

With that, he made sure his shield with the emblem of the Ravenqueen was on his arm although he left both his staff and the sword in their respective positions on his back.

Stepping into the sunshine was a bit disconcerting - like a million light spells had been cast at once.

When he became aware of the two figures, he called out in the common tongue: "Hail thee, travellers and well met."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rhel, upon seeing the figures in the distance, quickly lands near Jondar.

There are two figures in the distance near a small cave. I suggest we walk in that direction, though cautiously. I was not anticipating meeting survivors this soon, perhaps there is a larger population than we believed.

She reaches down and picks up a small rock from the ground nearby and places it in her pouch, then begins walking in the direction of where she saw the people.
    Last edited by woodwalker; 2020-07-07 at 01:57 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

AssassinGuy

Start talking to them, I’ll sneak up for a closer look. Jondar said, pulling up the hood on his elven cloak, shimmering against the snow.
    Spoiler: Stealth
    Show
    Advantage from cloak of elvenkind, Disadvantage on perception checks to see me (1d20+11)[13] (1d20+11)[29]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Perception with disadvantage to detect Jondar

(1d20)[18]+5
    (1d20)[15]+5

No Chance

Spatha went forward blinking against the light. The figure before him looked... surprisingly similar to his familiar, Scouwl.
    "This... bird person is wearing the symbol of the Lady. Be courtious."

"I greet thee, Herald of our Lady."
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2020-07-07 at 03:28 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rhel strolled towards the mechanical man, head held high, ready to parlay. But when she saw the symbol of her Queen shining from the front of his shield she paused for half a heartbeat. She supposed she shouldn't have been surprised; the reach of the Raven Queen extended to wherever life existed. Still, seeing anything like an organized religion down beneath the fog, well, the scholars hadn't even been sure there were anything like towns down here anymore. This was a bit of a revelation.

She came to a stop before the metal hulk, and cocked her head up, craning her neck a bit in his direction. He was a full head taller than she, and she wanted to look at this...man as nearly eye to eye as she could. Warforged, here, in a devastated land. More revelations.

And greetings to you, fellow follower of our Queen. I am called Rhel.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Spatha nodded indicating at his companion: "I am Captain Spatha, former member of the Solterran forces and now in service to our Lady as well as explorer of these lands. And this here is my companion and friend Niobe, scholar and adventurer as well. We set out to find the origin of the fog and perhaps a remedy to its existence."
    He bowed slightly.
    "The lady must be smiling on us to coincide our arrival here and honoring our quest with this revelation. We saw your flying ship - does wherever you come from consist soley of flying people?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

In a way, I suppose. But few are gifted with these.

She spreads her wings out and extends them to their full width before tucking them back in.

If you saw our ship you have a better idea of what most experience. We stay above the fog.

If you mean to discover more about the fog then our quests run a similar path. My monastery sent me to discover what still endured in the land beneath the shade. It was thought there would be some survivors from the calamity, but I did not expect to find such so quickly. I will admit, if it was not but for your symbol there I would have been more wary of you and your friend. Indeed, our patron must have seen fit to guide us together on this day.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

"It is indeed fortunate, that you met us here. It is never wise to venture into the fog alone. There are many terrors there, waiting to devour the unwary traveller. Yet before we continue this discussion, would you mind if we made camp up here, so we may enjoy the view? For both of us it is the first time that we had the chance to see the sun in its full glory as well as the horizon.
    And for certain, my companion is in need of a rest in any case."

Spatha indicated towards the gigantic panorama that the mountain provided them.

15. - Top - End - #15

Niobe

As Rhel had arrived, she let Spatha handle the first polite exchange of words upon noticing that the bird person had the same emblem on her as the Captain. A common ground could prove useful, definitely. Instead of doing much of the talking, only nodding and shortly greeting Rhel, she tries to see whether Rhel (being a follower of the same god or not) could mean any harm to them. Coming down here alone is indeed... Careless. But then again... She said 'our' ship... Niobe's eyes dart around trying to see whether there is someone hiding. Alas, she cannot see another person.

Show
    Passive insight is at 16, so it should suffice to see that there is something going on. But if required, I can also roll: Insight - (1d20+6)[16]. There is no way I can perceive the hidden Seraphim, as the stealth roll was a 29 and I have +6 on perception.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

By all means. I have many questions, and asking them hear in the clear light will be much preferable to doing so in the fog below. Please, make yourself comfortable.

Rhel drops her pack on the ground and retrieves her small sleeping mat, ready to spread it out near wherever the two begin to setup camp.

So you live your lives beneath the fog. Is it as thick as it appears throughout the world below? Do most live their lives never seeing the sun? That must be terribly difficult.How is there enough growth there to sustain life?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Spatha helped setting up the camp for Niobe while as usual just setting up a position for himself to sit down.
    "The fog is eternal down there, though it gets thicker and thinner at times, darker and lighter and - at times - it freezes. That's how we count the years, by the times of freezing fog.
    As for food, it is scarce at times. People eat mostly fungi that grow at hot springs and from magic energies. There are some colonies here and there, that have managed to set up plantations with light spells. I myself was forged at such a place where the priests and the mages set down roots. A plateau called Solterra."
    Spatha indicated vaguely to the south. "Somewhere in that direction I believe. And of course there are the monsters in the fog. Some of them are supossedly delicious if the locals are to be believed. My existence was prized, for I do not consume food.
    And you live in flying cities? Do you have flying fields as well? It must be rather cold up there. How do you grow your food?
    For that matter, does your society employ much magic? If so, do you have diviners that were able to learn anything substancial about the fog? Niobe is nearly ready to learn the powerful Legend Lore incantation."

18. - Top - End - #18

AssassinGuy

Jondar, seeing that the newcomers seem friendly, decides to take off the hood of his cloak to introduce himself and set up camp, ”Nice to meet you Captain, I’m Jondar. Sorry for hiding from you, just trying to be careful.”

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Spatha turned around with surprising speed. Eldrich sparks danced over the palm of his free hand, before he realized that the newcomer had no weapons drawn. As quickly as the energies had appeared, they vanished again.
    "Ah, so you were not as careless as I feared you were.
    Greetings, Jondar. What function, creed or rank is yours in this expedition?"

20. - Top - End - #20

AssassinGuy

”I was paid to come down here and collect information about the fog and what happened, my family also owned land before the fog, I want to return there and see what has become of it”

21. - Top - End - #21

Niobe

She greets the newcomer as well, while she had felt something amiss, she is still somewhat startled, and a slight mistrust remains in her glance, which soon changes to an apologetic smile. We'd have done it the same, if it was not for this sight... she thought by herself.

"If you can track back your family so far, do you know anything about the time before the fog?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Spatha perked up at this information as well: "Indeed, that is very interesting. Do you have old maps? We are on the lookout for the source of the fog and if possible reverse whatever is causing it. Information about how the world was before would certainly help with that search."

23. - Top - End - #23

AssassinGuy

”My father told me stories about what the world was like before the fog, many people taught stories of what it was like, but the stories have changed with time, and it’s hard to tell what’s true and what’s myth. Rhel would probably know more than me, I’m mostly here for my martial skill.”

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

"I look forward to seeing your martial prowess in action. I also have to admire your gear: it appears to be of incredible fine make - much better than people in the fog are able to afford.
    I am sorry, I am getting distracted. We want to get our bearings and try to find out if there are any landmarks visible from up here that could give us a clue as to where the origin of the fog lies."

Spatha got up and started to look around, briefly touching his head with a faint glow of divine energy.

Spoiler
    Show

Either Investigation or Survival to try to determine where the center of the fog is to be found (if there is one) or if there are any patterns to be made out

(1d20)[15]+1+(1d4)[2]

25. - Top - End - #25

Show
    From there? You get no new info. Or, rather, no info that you couldn't get from the Seraphim folk (and I'm assuming you've shared information) due to them having a much better vantage from the base of their ship.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Spatha returned visibly disappointed. "The vantage isn't good enough for my purposes.
    Say, you flew here on an airship. Did you get a good look on this area, so you know about any patterns or anomalies that would indicate the source of the fog?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    DO we know of any patterns or anything? I assume that would be a part of Rhel's research, if not a major point of study on Seraphim. If needed:

Investigation: (1d20+1)[11]

28. - Top - End - #28

Spoiler: Seraphim Folk
    Show
    You've been all around the world, and the fog is ever-present. Even over the oceans of the world below.

From the eddies and swirls, the best researchers of Seraphim believe the source to either be all over the world, or to be located deep underground.

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Niobe

She listens carefully over the others talking and starts to fish some rations from the depths of her backpack, again and again being captivated by the awesome sight around her. It still feels like a so early step in her voyage -- but what a beautiful one it was. The rations turn out to be dried fruit and nuts, possibly not overly appetizing to those above, but quite normal (and nutritious) to those below. She takes a few, careful sips from her waterskin and offers some of the rations (but not the water) to the newcomers. It seems more of a accustomed gesture to her, nothing she would make fuss about.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rhel happily accepts the nuts and berries from Niobe. They were better than she had expected would be available from the shrouded world below. The idea that anything could even grow down there would have been beyond belief to her just an hour or so before.

I'm afraid we know little more than you. Our scholors have studied the fog for many years, but there is no consensus. Some believe the fog emanates from the very earth itself, others from somewhere deep underground, but at any rate it does not seem to have a single focul point. Do your people have any more thought on the manner? Any stories from which we may glean some insight?
    Last edited by woodwalker; 2020-07-16 at 08:49 AM.