New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default How would you build a celestial version of an Imp? A sholuder angel...

It's been on my mind for a while. a celestail spirit might very well chafe att the idea of taking the shape of an Imp for a Celestial Warlock/Pact of the chain. Instead of reskinning the Imp to look angelic what would a minor angel look like. Sure it would serve as a familiar but it would also be a messenger and spy.

Like the imp it would need to go invisible, and it would need a Stealth skill. It could polymorph into various animals like the Imp. I have never built from scratch a monster.

How would you make it different without overpowering it? and keep the goal of getting a DM approval?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: How would you build a celestial version of an Imp? A sholuder angel...

Psychopomp
    Tiny Celestial, Lawful Neutral
    Stats, move, AC, HP as Imp
    Languages Celestial and Common, Telepathy 30
    Senses: Darkvision 60
    Resist Radiant and Necrotic
    Skills: Insight +6

Actions
    Shapeshift: The Psychopomp assumes the form of a tiny inanimate object appealing or intriguing to its ward. Examples include a tragedy mask, ring, crown, jewel, or book. While in this form the Psychopomp can hear normally and has Blindsight 10ft and communicate telepathically. The only actions it can take in this form are Shapeshifting back into its normal form or its Divine Insight.

Divine Insight: If the psychopomp spends 1 minute in contact with a willing or Incapacitated creature it can glean a detail from the creature’s past related to its alignment. Usually an incident in which it exemplified it’s alignment or acted against it.

Insightful Blade: The Psychopomp uses its psychic abilities to draw forth a Creature’s painful memories.
    Attack: +6, reach 5 ft, 1 target, Hit: 1d6+3 Psychic Damage.

These tiny Celestial spirits are responsible for guiding lost souls to their appropriate afterlife. Occasionally the gods send them to guide those on the verge of failing to meet their destiny.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: How would you build a celestial version of an Imp? A sholuder angel...

I might revisit this with more to say, but for now I'm just going to suggest "cherub" for the name.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    Psychopomp
    Tiny Celestial, Lawful Neutral
    Stats, move, AC, HP as Imp
    Languages Celestial and Common, Telepathy 30
    Senses: Darkvision 60
    Resist Radiant and Necrotic
    Skills: Insight +6

Actions
    Shapeshift: The Psychopomp assumes the form of a tiny inanimate object appealing or intriguing to its ward. Examples include a tragedy mask, ring, crown, jewel, or book. While in this form the Psychopomp can hear normally and has Blindsight 10ft and communicate telepathically. The only actions it can take in this form are Shapeshifting back into its normal form or its Divine Insight.

Divine Insight: If the psychopomp spends 1 minute in contact with a willing or Incapacitated creature it can glean a detail from the creature’s past related to its alignment. Usually an incident in which it exemplified it’s alignment or acted against it.

Insightful Blade: The Psychopomp uses its psychic abilities to draw forth a Creature’s painful memories.
    Attack: +6, reach 5 ft, 1 target, Hit: 1d6+3 Psychic Damage.

These tiny Celestial spirits are responsible for guiding lost souls to their appropriate afterlife. Occasionally the gods send them to guide those on the verge of failing to meet their destiny.
    I like this one! Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #5

Daemon

I might bump it to Immune to Radiant damage and provide stats for its Object form, or possibly make breaking the object cause it to revert to its normal form.

I really wanted to make it Incorporeal, but that would break it as a Familiar.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

3.5 also had Lantern Archons, essentially tiny balls of light that filled a similar place in the hierarchy to imps/quasits. If you've read Order of the Stick, there the little lights guiding deceased souls around in the afterlife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Shoulder Faerie

Hey Listen (Su): grants a +3 competence bonus to an ally's skill check, usable 1/hour.

Look Out (Su): Immediate action which grants a +4 dodge bonus to an ally's AC, usable 1/minute.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    I might revisit this with more to say, but for now I'm just going to suggest "cherub" for the name.
    I recommend using "putto" instead. "Putto" refers exclusively to the little winged babies, whereas there's other versions of cherubim, most notably the one with six wings and four heads heads each belonging to a different creature.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Shoulder Faerie

Hey Listen (Su): grants a +3 competence bonus to an ally's skill check, usable 1/hour.

Look Out (Su): Immediate action which grants a +4 dodge bonus to an ally's AC, usable 1/minute.
    Cyclops mentioned celestial chainlocks, so I'd just let it Cast Guidance for "Hey Listen," and make Look Out a reaction granting the faerie's Cha bonus to AC.

Although how this would be a celestial I'm not clear on.

Edit: Beside the Lantern Archeons of older editions and Putti, there's also the Mu'aqqib, which are minor guardian angels that follow in front of and behind a person.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2020-07-10 at 02:35 PM.