New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Ioun Stones and hiding

It seems pretty obvious that having a bunch of stones orbiting your head would be a major hindrance to remaining unseen, but as far as I know there's no Hide penalty associated with Ioun Stones. Is this addressed anywhere? If not, how do you play it?

Of course, a stealthy character could just put their Ioun Stones away before they went spying. But that leads to another question: what type of action is it to take one out of its orbit (or to put it into it, for that matter)?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ioun Stones and hiding

No RAW as far as I know, but the DM might apply a small circumstance penalty if he sees fit.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

if they don't glow or make sound I don't see the problem
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by el minster View Post
    if they don't glow or make sound I don't see the problem
    True.

If carrying 10 foot poles, portable battering rams or a cat familiar sitting on your shoulder doesn't impose a penalty, then Ioun stones probably shouldn't be an issue.

In regards to the other question in OP, lets have a look:

These crystalline stones always float in the air and must be within 3 feet of their owner to be of any use. When a character first acquires a stone, she must hold it and then release it, whereupon it takes up a circling orbit 1d3 feet from her head. Thereafter, a stone must be grasped or netted to separate it from its owner. The owner may voluntarily seize and stow a stone (to keep it safe while she is sleeping, for example), but she loses the benefits of the stone during that time. Ioun stones have AC 24, 10 hit points, and hardness 5.
    No specific action called out, but I would assume it would default to manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by MIC p.220
    [Action Type] (manipulation): Activating this type of item requires some physical manipulation of it, such as moving an immovable rod or pulling a patch from a robe of useful items. This movement is similar to the somatic component of a spell, in that you need a free hand to perform the action. Activating a manipulation item provokes attacks of opportunity.
    Which might be a standard action?

However in Actions in Combat, the action to Draw or Sheathe a Weapon is a Move Action. Draw doesn't attract an AoO, whereas Sheathe does. Pick Up An Item is also a move action, and attracts an AoO.

I guess its a DM call - personally, I'd rule move action, with an AoO, although that may be a bit harsh on the player.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

it's resource intensive but a permanent invisibility spell cast on them solves this pretty well.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

One suggestion if your GM is on the fence about this - Pathfinder has magic items you can craft or buy called Wayfinders (a magic compass basically) that you can stick your ioun stones in and still gain their benefits, even if said compass is in your pocket or belt pouch. Some of these not only allow you to get the normal benefit of your ioun stone, but also unlock additional powers from the stone or enhance its existing ones.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2020-07-08 at 09:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Interestingly, I was reading up on Ioun Stones before I saw this thread, and came across a third party one (Pale Yellow Prism Ioun Stone; Kobold Quarterly issue 6) which indicates true north by giving off a flash once each time it orbits.

The description says the flash gives the owner a -1 penalty to Hide checks, unless stowed.

Now, I know 3rd party material is by no means a citation, but if an Ioun Stone that specifically flashes all the time only gives a -1, I'd tend to rule that others impose no penalty at all.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post

If carrying 10 foot poles, portable battering rams or a cat familiar sitting on your shoulder doesn't impose a penalty, then Ioun stones probably shouldn't be an issue.
    A portable battering ram doesn't impose a penalty on its own, but it weighs 20lbs and carrying a medium or heavy load does impose a penalty, so unless your stealthy character is also very strong it substantially limits what else you can carry.

Fair point about the 10ft pole though, tbh I'd suspected the answer was going to be "they don't impose a Hide penalty, but then look at all these other things that don't either".

However in Actions in Combat, the action to Draw or Sheathe a Weapon is a Move Action. Draw doesn't attract an AoO, whereas Sheathe does. Pick Up An Item is also a move action, and attracts an AoO.

I guess its a DM call - personally, I'd rule move action, with an AoO, although that may be a bit harsh on the player.
    Yeah, I'd been leaning towards a move action, not sure about the AoO though.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    One suggestion if your GM is on the fence about this - Pathfinder has magic items you can craft or buy called Wayfinders (a magic compass basically) that you can stick your ioun stones in and still gain their benefits, even if said compass is in your pocket or belt pouch. Some of these not only allow your to get the normal benefit of your ioun stone, but also unlock additional powers from the stone or enhance its existing ones.
    Very interesting, thank you. I'd been thinking of maybe homebrewing an item you can slot them into, I might well use these instead.

Interestingly, I was reading up on Ioun Stones before I saw this thread, and came across a third party one (Pale Yellow Prism Ioun Stone; Kobold Quarterly issue 6) which indicates true north by giving off a flash once each time it orbits.

The description says the flash gives the owner a -1 penalty to Hide checks, unless stowed.

Now, I know 3rd party material is by no means a citation, but if an Ioun Stone that specifically flashes all the time only gives a -1, I'd tend to rule that others impose no penalty at all.
    -1 seems quite generous unless it's a barely-visible flash of light. Or maybe they orbit your head really slowly? That might explain the lack of a hide penalty...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

As a homebrew solution to hide my small flotilla of Ioun Stones, I developed a little spell a few years ago.

Amiria's Ioun Invisibility -> Sor/Wiz 2nd level Illusion (glamer), makes one Ioun Stone per caster level invisible to everyone except the caster for a duration of days / level.
    Last edited by Amiria; 2020-07-08 at 12:32 PM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

there is also the ioun blade from A&EG too.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Also pseudodragons takes easily more screen time than "true" dragons.
    (but it is fair: "true" dragons are not telepathic venomous flying cats and so does not deserve screen time like a pseudodragon)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    -1 seems quite generous unless it's a barely-visible flash of light. Or maybe they orbit your head really slowly? That might explain the lack of a hide penalty...
    Oddly enough there's another new Ioun Stone in the same article (Pale Yellow Prism) that gives off illumination as a sunrod (30 ft bright, 60 ft shadowy), which gives no hide penalty. Like I said, 3rd party isn't the best citation of RAW, but I still thought it was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    there is also the ioun blade from A&EG too.
    Nice find! Stuff from A&EG is always surprising me, even though I've read it many times. There's a lot of stuff I've missed or forgotten about.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

I like those wayfinders. it's always seemed a bit dangerous ioun stones being so vulnerable, especially considering how expensive some of them are.

13. - Top - End - #13

Lizardfolk

If you are going to go Pathfinder, just get a Western Star Ioun Stone.
    It is a hat of disguise plus it turns all your ioun stones invisible when disguised.
    You do not even have to go all out on such a disguise. Just do something cosmetic, like make your shirt the loudest Hawaiian shirt in existence, or change your footgear so nobody knows you are wearing socks with sandals.

While in Pathfinder, there are a number of other items that hold ioun stones like the ioun gauntlet, ioun spite bracers, and the wonderfully named and themed headband of twisted intellect. Note that no such items and wayfinders "stack" according to the rules for wayfinders.
    For the ioun spite bracers, they even steal other people's ioun stones.

There are also some Pathfinder 3rd party (does that make the 4th or 5th party to 3E?) ioun stone holding items.

Finally, still with Pathfinder, just dig up the rules for surgically implanting ioun stones in your flesh and never worry about them getting stolen until you are dead. But definitely expect the rest of the party to loot your corpse.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure why ioun stones would be any worse for stealth than, say, a hat.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    I'm not sure why ioun stones would be any worse for stealth than, say, a hat.
    Well, maybe this kind of hat:

Spoiler
    Show

Actually, that reminds me, there was a thread here a while back where someone was suggesting Spot penalties if you had enough Ioun stones orbiting your head.

16. - Top - End - #16

GreenSorcererElf

but can't they just orbit slightly above thier head
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Hiding doesn't make you invisible, or even translucent like Stealth does in games like World of Warcraft. When you hide, you hide in or behind something. Hiding doesn't care if you have a whole solar system of ioun stones orbiting your head. Your check result determines how well you are hidden, including your gear and miniature solar system.

Even Hide in Plain Sight doesn't make you vanish and become invisible like the spell. Hide in Plain Sight lets you make hide check even when you're being observed (that is, looked at by someone or something).

HOW you're hidden exactly hidden is abstract, and up to you and your DM's interpretation.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2020-07-10 at 05:14 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Hiding doesn't make you invisible, or even translucent like Stealth does in games like World of Warcraft. When you hide, you hide in or behind something. Hiding doesn't care if you have a whole solar system of ioun stones orbiting your head. Your check result determines how well you are hidden, including your gear and miniature solar system.
    Well yes, which is why people are asking whether a check penalty might apply. Obviously if you succeed at hiding even with the penalty, you've hidden in such a way as to account for the "solar system."
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Well, maybe this kind of hat:

Spoiler
    Show

Actually, that reminds me, there was a thread here a while back where someone was suggesting Spot penalties if you had enough Ioun stones orbiting your head.
    Sorry, do ioun stones make noise? As far as I know, an ioun stone is just a little crystal that hangs out around your head. It doesn't even glow or anything. I'm kind of baffled as to why anyone would think they'd hinder stealth at all.

20. - Top - End - #20

Sorry, do ioun stones make noise? As far as I know, an ioun stone is just a little crystal that hangs out around your head. It doesn't even glow or anything. I'm kind of baffled as to why anyone would think they'd hinder stealth at all.
    Making noise doesn't really relate to Spot in any case.

I certainly wouldn't apply any kind of penalty (except perhaps if there's a creature that can more easily see things that are moving?) but I can see why others might, especially if you have a swarm of them orbiting you.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Well yes, which is why people are asking whether a check penalty might apply. Obviously if you succeed at hiding even with the penalty, you've hidden in such a way as to account for the "solar system."
    I don't think it's necessary to impose any more penalties than the rules already account for. It's inane hair splitting, in my honest opinion.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    I don't think it's necessary to impose any more penalties than the rules already account for. It's inane hair splitting, in my honest opinion.
    Most of the time I would agree. I did however give one example of a situation where I might apply a circumstance penalty.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

This is just another thing with Ioun Stones which gets hand-waved away.

I think a Gust of Wind or Air Elemental Whirlwind or ... should likely scatter them - but when did you ever see that happen ?
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post

I think a Gust of Wind or Air Elemental Whirlwind or ... should likely scatter them - but when did you ever see that happen ?
    That sounds like a thing that could happen on a sufficiently failed saving throw.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

a 30k stone flying away in the wind, that would ruin a day. hope someone has discern location.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post

Once the ioun stone is orbiting you, it can't be removed except by physically grasping or netting it. Wind would just push it into a different orbit.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Because moving objects draw the eye more than stationary objects. As I said earlier in the thread, the only possible sense I can make of it is that they drift round the head very slowly, in which case they wouldn't make much difference.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Because moving objects draw the eye more than stationary objects. As I said earlier in the thread, the only possible sense I can make of it is that they drift round the head very slowly, in which case they wouldn't make much difference.
    You can move up to half your speed while hiding without taking any penalty at all for it, and that's your whole body, not a few tiny rocks.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm sorry if I'm offending you somehow, but honestly, I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

You can move up to half your speed while hiding without taking any penalty at all for it, and that's your whole body, not a few tiny rocks.
    You can move up to half your speed, which is about 1.7mph for most characters, ie very slowly. While the text in the DMG doesn't give any indication as to what speed ioun stones rotate at, the accompanying picture certainly makes it look like they're orbiting fairly rapidly, so I always assumed that was the case. As I've said, maybe that was wrong and the picture is just misleading.

An analogy: a whole sky full of clouds drifting slowly by isn't very noticeable but a spinning top on a table two or three metres away is.