New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Default Re: Proving you have Magic!

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    I am happy to see so many people saying that they *wouldn't* reveal themselves.

WoD? Nah, hurts to botch, and session-based XP.
    to expand on that, Mage: the world ends and paradox reigns.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Y'all thought I was a hermit now?

Now I'm a hermit who can cut out huge inconveniences from their life via nigh limitless power (depending on the nature of the magic), with further potential via magic item creation (if that's a thing in our AU).

I'd be perfectly happy with my only human contact being my family and RPG night at the FLGS, and just live in the middle of nowhere in the meanwhile.

Honestly, world rulership sounds like a hassle and a half and I am nothing if not lazy and lacking in ambition.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

I am happy to see so many people saying that they *wouldn't* reveal themselves.

Hold on… this isn't in the 3.5 forum… hmmm…

Marvel facerip? Nah, lousy max ranks, easy to lose XP.

Mutants and Masterminds? … maybe? But how long is a "session"?

Champions? Nah,

WoD? Nah, hurts to botch, and session-based XP.

Rifts? Nah, even being a deity & a Wizard isn't worth it.

Scion? Same.

Exalted? Same.

Gurps? Nah.

Wh40k/whf? No. Just no.

3e D&D? Maybe? There's issues of planar geography and ability to earn XP to consider, on top of which class(es) to take.

2e D&D? Now we're talking! With proper house rules, and several billion people to kill for XP (I can always True Dwoemer them all back to life later), this is wins all around.

OK, now that that's settled, what's the question?

Resurrecting everyone after I kill them all? I think that should pretty well do it, no?

(Several homebrew systems could also be fun, with similar results)
    First edition had you getting experience from gold. don't know if it carried over.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vasilidor View Post
    First edition had you getting experience from gold. don't know if it carried over.
    Optional "individual XP" rules for Thief. I've never been sure how they work with duel classing.

However, note my comments about "house rules" - "XP from wealth" sounds like a good one to include.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2020-07-12 at 03:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Optional "individual XP" rules for Thief. I've never been sure how they work Roth l with duel classing.

However, note my comments about "house rules" - "XP from wealth" sounds like a good one to include.
    That's 2e; 1e had gold-for-XP as a standard rule for everyone.

However, the more I think about it, the question becomes "What class do you want your 20th level casting to be in?"

And I say Druid.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    However, the more I think about it, the question becomes "What class do you want your 20th level casting to be in?"

And I say Druid.
    I was thinking about that, the problem is what if your alignment isn't what you think it is - you might not be neutral (subject to edition etc).

I am leaning towards Sorcerer (without going into something fancy outside of the Player's Handbook), don't need a spellbook or a god or certain behaviour etc, it is a bit of a sacrifice in versatility but your power is pretty certain (Cleric of a cause might be better if I can figure out some cause I care enough about to be certain I would stick to it).

Could see taking 20 levels in Wizard only to discover one has no spells prepared and no spell book, which would be a bit annoying.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

That's 2e; 1e had gold-for-XP as a standard rule for everyone.
    Yes. As this isn't in the 3e forum, I was going with "2e, with copious beneficial house rules" for my casting source of choice (outside some afaik unpublished homebrew systems). "Get XP for GP value of treasure" is a 2e house rule I've seen.

Also, any idea how 2e Thief "XP for treasure" individual awards interact with human duel classing?

20th is not "max level" in most leveled systems.

And I say Druid.
    To *play* it's pretty OP. But to be? In this world, while putting a target on yourself by saying, "look, I gots magic!"?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

interact with human duel classing?
    Was duelist a kit for thief or fighter?

9. - Top - End - #39

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Was duelist a kit for thief or fighter?
    actually, yes. yes it was.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xar Zarath View Post
    Hmm, but would they though? I mean, going by some RW situations, its not as if the world and all the govts/orgs/various societies act homogenously.
    That's kind of the point. Since I favor freedom, health, and peace, there have to be some great powers out there who would actively want me dead. As I said, Even if I could always prevent it, that’s not a fun life.

Now, we're presented with the situation where "you" are a max level Wizard, is there anything that realistically speaking, especially after you maxed out of protections, spells etc that anyone or any group could do to you?
    Yes, of course they could do something to me. They could make me live behind protection spells, and spend my time on defense. As I said, even if I could always prevent it, that’s not a fun life.
    Last edited by Jay R; 2020-07-13 at 08:34 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You should not allow anyone to know you have the power of Divine, Psionic, Arcane or Mutant Force or Power. The government will consider you a dangerous person to be controlled or eliminated?

12. - Top - End - #42

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I favour the "take over a 3rd world nation" plan. Somewhere like the USA or something 😁.

Or rather than an overt takeover, become a "power behind the throne" type.

Item creation, stat boosts, invulnerability, "super powers".
    Create "green lantern rings", and give them to your supporters/enforcers.

Floating cities in the atmospheres of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, etc...hell, even here on Earth. Cloning and restoration of the natural world...
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

13. - Top - End - #43
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thayborne View Post
    You should not allow anyone to know you have the power of Divine, Psionic, Arcane or Mutant Force or Power. The government will consider you a dangerous person to be controlled or eliminated?
    I see variations on this pop up periodically in this thread, and while I appreciate the wisdom of it, it's ignoring that the premise of the thread is proving you have it. Not how you live your life with it. So I think it should be taken as given that, for some reason, you've already decided you want to prove you've got magical powers.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm 100% behind the "do not reveal for as long ass super humanly possible". Far too many complications. I'd never get any peace, putting aside the actual assassination potential. Everyone would want to either end me or use me save my closest family and friends pre-empowerment. No friend I make after going public a supernatural could be trusted to be real about it. That's a sad way to live one's life.

But the thread is about how you would prove it, so let's say that's a prerequisite for keeping/getting them. Firstly, as much as I adore Wizards, in this case, I'd chose Psion. This is because:

1. It raises fewer uncomfortable questions about the source of it (even if I could prove it's a benevolent or at least neutral one, others might be suspicious).
    2. No infrastructure requirements. Most wizards "stand on the shoulders of giants", so to speak, with many millennia of magical research coming before them.
    3. Abilities arise naturally, presumably from my wants and desires.
    4. I can think of a few ethically-acceptable methods of immortality with pionics that magic can't pull off (at least as easily).
    5. I like crystals!
    6. People will be much more accepting due to the perception of psychic powers being more "realistic" in media that conventional magic. Not that there's much different in truth, but I'd rather people have a mental out when dealing with my powers.

Now, actually proving the abilities is trivial. We live in an age of skepticism, true, but also one of social media. All it would take is a trip or two downtown, a nice loud "everyone, may I have your attention please?" and a showy use of an ability. Something that can't be replicated with special effects. My go-to would be Astral Construct. Those are dramatic, easy to control, obviously not normal, and can help keep me safe in case someone tries to pull a modern "burn the witch" on me. Recordings go on the internet within minutes. Keep doing this and you will very likely get the needed attention. It would be smart to use my powers to disguise myself, though. My home life doesn't need the complication. Invisibility, teleportation and disguises could at least keep me safe in that regard.

Now, that's if it needs to go fully public. If it were just a few people needed to prove it, I'd instead do the same thing in the comfort of my home with family.

But assuming it does need publicity, I'd then (still with consistent disguise) use my abilities in unambiguously positive ways. Aside from the primary moral reasons of responsible use of power, and the warm fuzzy feeling of using one's talents to help others, good PR is a MUST. You'll have people scrutinizing your every action. Heal the sick and injured. Construct homes with conjured constructs. Provide mental boosts to think-tanks working on key research projects (medicine is still important even if I could heal. I only have so many power points, after all, and can only be in one place at at time, for the most part). Maybe develop empathy related abilities and deploy them as psionic items? Imagine a world where you could actually properly understand another person's perspective? I believe that many, many, MANY of our societal problems could be solved or at least sharply mitigated if we could get out of our locked perspectives and defeat the innate feeling that other people must be stupid and wrong to have the opinions they do. Hard to get people to volunteer for brain tampering of course, understandably. Save that for later.
    Last edited by Reathin; 2020-07-15 at 10:34 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Colossus in the Playground

On the subject of wanting to maintain anonymity, you can do that even while proving you have magic. Even to the world. While the most straight-forward approach would be to go a "masked vigilante" route and put on a disguise, so it's "The Great Wondrizzo!" who has magic, and nobody knows Segev Stormlord is The Great Wondrizzo, the actual way I'd go about it would be to not even be personally there. Whether using a Simulacrum with a deliberately-lousy sculpt (or a very good sculpt that doesn't look like me), or using astral projection combined with alter self or shapechange, or even performing magic through my familiar, I could prove that my stage name does, indeed, have magic, as publicly as I want, and nobody need ever know that The Great Wondrizzo - who seems to operate mostly in the LA or Las Vegas area - is actually Segev, who lives in [redacted].

The main point being: as a mage, you could have your cake and eat it, too. You can be famous for having magic, and even the friends you hang out with every weekend to play D&D need never know that YOU are The Great Wondrizzo.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    On the subject of wanting to maintain anonymity, you can do that even while proving you have magic. Even to the world. While the most straight-forward approach would be to go a "masked vigilante" route and put on a disguise, so it's "The Great Wondrizzo!" who has magic, and nobody knows Segev Stormlord is The Great Wondrizzo, the actual way I'd go about it would be to not even be personally there. Whether using a Simulacrum with a deliberately-lousy sculpt (or a very good sculpt that doesn't look like me), or using astral projection combined with alter self or shapechange, or even performing magic through my familiar, I could prove that my stage name does, indeed, have magic, as publicly as I want, and nobody need ever know that The Great Wondrizzo - who seems to operate mostly in the LA or Las Vegas area - is actually Segev, who lives in [redacted].

The main point being: as a mage, you could have your cake and eat it, too. You can be famous for having magic, and even the friends you hang out with every weekend to play D&D need never know that YOU are The Great Wondrizzo.
    Reminds me of The Sovereign from Venture Brothers, a shapeshifter who met David Bowey at a concert and liked him so much he runs around as him.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

So let's say, you right now suddenly have magic. As in you gain max levels in Wizard (or any other caster class of your choice, psions and such included)

How would you go about proving your powers definitively to the world? (and also your actions/reactions relating to your reveal)
    Note, this would be Pathfinder 1E as a Wizard for me.

Hm, if it was right now... Well, I'd be a little annoyed this happened now as opposed to when James Randi's challenge was active. No monetary compensation... Huh. I mean, I could probably get rich through other means with magic though...

Realistically, I wouldn't go around announcing I have magic powers as I'd rather not enjoy having all that attention suddenly focused on me, as some good may come of it but there would also be a ton of bad that I'd rather avoid entirely, like becoming a science experiment or having a hit put on me. I'd much rather just live a quiet life, but whatever, if I have to do this because I'll lose my power or die or something else bad will happen to me, might as well go big.

First thing I'd do is use my spells to go gather spell components quietly... And I'd make sure to do it in places that are physically impossible for me to travel to within a short amount of time (this is assuming real-world currency is equivalent to fantasy currency). Stockpile them for a while, keeping them in a secure location, then begin heading to other planes to collect more exotic materials. Assuming I haven't gone let the knowledge that I'm the single most powerful being on the planet and haven't gone mad with god-like power, I'd research heavily populated areas that are known for a lot of international travel. Then I'd go to a major city, with a densely populated area like an airport through teleporting there, remaining invisible while levitating and announcing with telepathy to one particularly dense group of people, "Do not mistake this for a parlor trick, this is true magical power!" before letting my invisibility fade and being cloaked in a mask of my choice while also having a wildly different body type/species/gender so that nobody could trace the weird floating person back to me... Might put on an accent too. Then I'd summon a Shadow Demon or something and float down before announcing that I was the real deal. Naturally people would panic, and I'd expect security to begin calling the authorities. I'd leave through teleporting (or turning invisible/intangible and just flying away) and waiting for news to spread of my stunt... When I watch a national newsbroadcast talking about my stunt (and if they didn't, I'd repeat the same stunt). The second they start talking about it, that's when I'd Greater Teleport my way into the area (Google Maps would be indispensable) before becoming intangible and floating into the building and announcing my presence... By turning anyone who tries to stop me into harmless animals for a small bit to show I mean business (I'd Dispel Magic on my way out). After dominating the minds of the cameramen, I'd issue a challenge to all skeptics to meet me on X Day at X Location, and I'd demonstrate my power to them... Via doing something clearly impossible, I'd even ask scientists to bring dead animals/medical cadavers for a surprise, change the weather, change the landscape, or just bend space-time. Also warn that if the people coming are just there to start trouble with me, I will defend myself and I will win... I'm not being violent, I just need to reveal myself to the world in a way that catches their attention.

Anyway, assuming everyone goes to the location, and assuming no one was there to arrest me (which I'd confirm with Detect Thoughts... I really think showing up to one spot with the sole intention of attacking/arresting someone would count as "surface level thoughts"), I'd announce my presence by opening a portal from another plane and just walking out. I'd instruct anyone who doesn't believe in my power to to look inside. Now, first thing's first... Anyone who doubts my ability to heal was free to step up, in fact, the more skeptical the better. First person to do it gets their hand slit by one of my knives, which I'd then heal with Infernal/Celestial Healing for all to see. Next, I'd summon something like an Angel or Giant from thin air... If anyone is still skeptical, that's when I use Reanimate Dead, Lesser on any dead animals/cadavers that were confirmed to be dead by the people who brought them and laugh when the thing things start moving around. Finally, I'd change my appearance in front of them, making it clear that, "No, this isn't my true form, I could be literally anyone." Pretty much just do this for a while until people are in denial of my power.

I'd then appear on talk shows, with a different appearance every time but showing incredible power to let the audience know it was me. I'd never reveal personal information, and if anything might just say, "Maybe I don't have a human identity... Maybe I'm not even human... I don't know, I think I was but maybe not..." to screw with everyone online coming up with theories about who/what I am. I'd do this internationally by using my Linguistics skill to learn virtually every language on the planet, or just use the Tongues spell if I'm feeling lazy/didn't pick up one language and appear on talk shows and news broadcasts to associate with them. I'd randomly just appear in random spots around the planet from day to day, showing off my powers and helping people in need with my magic.

By this point, if anyone wants to air their concerns I'm fake, I'd be more than willing to meet them on neutral grounds and debunk them... If they refuse to believe me after I, say, turn them all invisible, take control of their bodies or read their thoughts in some form... They're clearly in denial and wouldn't believe me at all, so I'd go onto the next skeptic after showing what a fool this person is.

... For further proof, I could just go around rounding up cryptids like Bigfoot, the Mothman, the Chupacabra, etc. and revealing them to the world. I'd protect the ones that just want to be left alone from being sliced up by scientists (because really, who's going to oppose the guy who can call down meteors and summon intangible shadow demons?) while handing them the more violent ones over to scientists (Dog Men gotta go, same with Mothman if he was behind that bridge collapsing instead of just trying to warn people away from it.) Might as well go to Area 51 and free those aliens since the raid was a bust, teleport them in front of a live camera feed that's being played (inter)nationally. Admittedly, the Area 51 one thing would mean I can't make anymore publicly announced appearances anymore, but I'd also probably be strong enough to just handle it if it came down to it (and smart enough to out plan any attempts to trace/capture me.)

If I feel like it, maybe after I've boosted my mental stats as far as they can go (and much further than any human could naturally have), I'd leave behind some magical creation that I know they won't be able to explain as proof I was there and magic is real.

Now... At this point, I'm pretty glad I spent my time disguised as someone else, because I do not want to deal with the headache of some paranoid or jealous people coming for me because I'm a threat or something. I'd then just appear on the news and tell everyone, "Alright, I'm tired of the guest appearances. I'm NOT an alien or anything, for you crazy conspiracy theorists... Ok, maybe aliens exist, but I'M not one, so don't go saying I'm an alien. I'm also not using technology either, this is all magic. Anyway, I've proven magic exists... If any skeptics want to challenge me on it, you had your chance, I'm going away now... Unless I get bored... Or not. Anyway, I'm also not a human-shaped cryptid either... Or am I? Huh, I suppose I could be read that way... Anyway, I'm going beyond the stars or to another dimension." (Read: I'm going home to play video games, you guys don't need to know that though). Hide any stuff linking me to the Wizard (or whatever I was calling myself) in a pocket dimension. I'd also occasionally look at any online forums or YouTube videos for theories on what I was/how I did it... If I become Immortal (Arcane Discovery) or a Lich, I'd just come back every few decades or so to show I'm still around, not having aged a day (ok, this might be an issue with me constantly changing my appearance)/being an undead abomination and debunk further skeptics that showed up to doubt my existence if I got bored with immortality or something/have to keep proving magic exists.

... When I get bored enough with eternal life, inhuman amounts of intelligence and wisdom (stories would get very predictable for example, as would people)... I'd probably just decide to start publicly fixing things that science can't (or at least not at the same speed/scale) to show my magic power still. Maybe do some good for the environment, create ideal habitats for endangered species to safely live in until their populations were higher again and reintroduce them to the environment or something. If people still refused to acknowledge my existence somehow... I don't know, they're just in denial or something.

... Or I could go straight up go Magneto on everyone by proving magic exists in a violent showing of power and demand everyone kneel before their new overlord. I don't think I'd do this, if only because I'd get bored really fast and want to go back to living the quiet life, as I'd feel bad if I just rolled up on some innocent people and decided to use them as an example of my power to the world.
    Last edited by AntiAuthority; 2020-07-20 at 04:04 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AntiAuthority View Post
    Note, this would be Pathfinder 1E as a Wizard for me...being cloaked in a mask of my choice while also having a wildly different body type/species/gender so that nobody could trace the weird floating person back to me...
    Hmm, what would you take as a PF Wizard, generalist, specialist or some other archetype?

Also, why not appear as yourself? once you set up a demiplane, astral projections, clones, lichdom etc...it would be ok to appear as yourself. certainly no one could stop you.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

So let's say, you right now suddenly have magic. As in you gain max levels in Wizard (or any other caster class of your choice, psions and such included)

How would you go about proving your powers definitively to the world? (and also your actions/reactions relating to your reveal)
    ...I wouldn't, as had been stated multiple times by others.

I'd get a personal demiplane set up, properly and in complete secret (all questions regarding sustainability/vulnerability/etc. are wrapped up in that ambiguous 'set up, properly' statement), plane shift there as soon as possible, then cut all direct planar ties with this hellhole and never look back.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Hmm, what would you take as a PF Wizard, generalist, specialist or some other archetype?
    Probably Universalist, as I don't see the downside to having access to all schools of magic. I also forgot that I'd take Mythic Tiers because why not?

Also, why not appear as yourself? once you set up a demiplane, astral projections, clones, lichdom etc...it would be ok to appear as yourself. certainly no one could stop you.
    It's not the physical threats to me I'm worried about, so much as the fact that my social life is pretty much over and that anyone associated with me might become a target for people that consider me an enemy.

By social life, I imagine just wanting to go for a walk would make people pull out cameras as soon as they recognize me, start asking for favors and things like that to help them in life. It would mean some very uncomfortable talks with my family members, as they would definitely see me as some sort of freak of nature and probably pressure me to start making money through possibly less than legal means because nobody can stop me. I'd also spend the rest of my life reading the thoughts of literally every person I met to see if they're trying to use my powers for something, along with the possible legions of people crowding outside of where I live (or used to live, as I'd definitely not be where I am now) to try to badger me for help. Essentially, I stop being a regular person and become like an animal at a zoo or something.

By becoming enemies with people... Yeah, I can't see anyone with power being ok with a god-like entity just walking around, doing whatever they want without being under their control. I can handle threats to me, but I can't be everywhere at once to protect the people near me from being kidnapped for example to use as leverage against me for example. Not to mention I'd definitely be hacked either by curious people who want to see what my search history is like or by darker forces who want to find out who I talk to and possibly find anything giving a hint as to how I gained all this power. I meet someone that I think I could get along with... I need to scan their minds to make sure they're not a spy or something. I go to a public area... I need to read the minds of literally everyone there to make sure they're not following me with malicious intent. My best friend gets a new SO... I need to read their minds to make sure they're not actually a spy trying to use my loved ones against me somehow via seduction or something. The only way i could keep them safe is to teleport them into a pocket dimension I created, which isn't fair to them in the least, as they essentially have to give up their lives because they had the misfortune of being associated with me. Then there are the less powerful people who are jealous that they don't have all this power. I also imagine I'd be blamed for not "being everywhere at once" or something or another to help prevent tragedies from occurring, along with possibly being blamed for things I had no part in by people who consider me dangerous.

My life as a human being is over, and I'll spend the rest of my days on Earth being suspicious of literally every new person I (and people associated with me) meet, constantly filmed whenever I go anywhere and approached by strangers, asked to fix everyone's problems/being blamed for the problems I couldn't stop in time and aware that nobody will ever treat me as just a regular person ever again and pretty lonely as a result. This is why I'd just disguise myself as someone different every time I publicly appeared, even as fantastic creatures every now and again just to make a point that I could be literally anyone or anything.
    Last edited by AntiAuthority; 2020-07-21 at 02:25 AM.