New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Custom Avatar Hosting

So, apparently my longtime image hosting website, imgur, no longer formats direct links to images in a way that supports using them as a custom avatar.

Am I doing something wrong or do I just need to switch to a different url of the same image?
    'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Custom Avatar Hosting

Under Imgur's FAQ for Forum Users
    under "What can't I use Imgur for?" it says:
    You're welcome to use Imgur to host your images, as long as they do not break our Terms of Service. This prohibits using Imgur in the following ways.

- As a content delivery network (CDN). This includes web objects like logos, avatars, icons, banners, and more.
    […]
    So, in short... using imgur for avatars is a no-no. I'm afraid you'll have to find some other place that does not prohibit it.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Under Imgur's FAQ for Forum Users
    under "What can't I use Imgur for?" it says:

So, in short... using imgur for avatars is a no-no. I'm afraid you'll have to find some other place that does not prohibit it.
    Elaborating on this, imgur noticed a significant amount of traffic from this site and specifically blocked it because of the number of people using it for avatar hosting. Its not a question of GITP doing or not doing anything, we just got rumbled.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm currently using Dropbox to host mine. There's a limit to how much bandwidth they allow, but if you create an avatar-specific email and linked dropbox account, you probably won't exceed the download limits. I never have, and I use this avatar on two other forums.

Best of luck to you!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

If you view the image source for users that have custom avatars, you can see what sites they use - that should give you some options to choose from.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)