New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Planescape: Full Circle - IC

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post
    As for the stones, I didn't intend to take them, but too late for that now. We might as well see if they're worth something."[/B]
    With their guide gone, Avakuss relaxes more. "Perhaps the baatezu guarding the seal would pay nicely to get them back." The goliath chuckles. "Then again, getting their attention may backfire too."

Joel says “Right Adamant, your spell."
    "Who knows what other tricks the axeman has. Next time I'll pin him and you all can relieve him of any pesky trinkets."

"Sorry, I’m still trying to process what I just went through. As before, I saw a lot of images and such. I’ll be alright though.”[/B]
    "How about we find someplace peaceful for a tasty meal and discuss those images while they are still fresh in your mind?"
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Dannos hands over the stones he has "Might as well make it a set. I wonder if we just need to be on that plane... and summon them to us or if we need to be close. Probably not worth the effort. See what you can get for those, eh, Joel. Some berk somewhere will want it." he says with a grin, knowing that Joel will spin a tale to it sold.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant nods, and continues to follow along.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Joel says "A meal and a drink sound good, though my stomach needs a minute to settle. To the Black Sail?"

Once the group is dining in a private room, with plenty of roast beef and strong ale, Joel tells you

"The connection I had with the prisoner was not pleasant and it was more like a jumbled dream than a clear story that I experienced.

But one thing I am sure of: though the Mad Rajah served mainly himself of course, he also served a cause. He was connected to the cult of Tharizdun. I guess the story the rakshasas told the ogres had a grain of truth to it."

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, let's start with the Axe guy. When we grab something to eat, let's make sure it is away from the front door and we can keep an eye on it. Don't want to resurrect you... again." he says with a dark grin.
    Once seated, with food and drink, he says. "Yeah, Axeman needs his toys taken before he can do anything. Best we catch him by surprise, if at all possible." he savors the food, not really caring what it is. He long ago gave up trying to figure out what he was being served in the Cage, though the Black Sails was a bit better than most.

Spoiler
    Show

Kn for Tharizdun (Religion +7 or the Planes +11)
    (1d20)[15]

Kn for The Mad Rajah (Religion +7 or the Planes +11)
    (1d20)[10]

6. - Top - End - #456

GreenSorcererElf

Once in the private room, after the food is delivered, and the door closed after they leave, Adamant's armor vanishes again, replaced by the fluffy pink robes. In the brief moment of confusion, Adamant casts Detect Magic, and takes a look around the room, looking for any unexpected magic.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #457
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Joel says "Should we sleep first, or go after the axeman? I'm fine to continue, but some of you may want to refresh your abilities.

Remember, our spellslinger foe can cast a spell to scry on me. Like any caster, he has limited casting resources each day, and the spell could be resisted with strength of will and good luck. I'm pretty sure he tried and failed when we were in Baator. He may likely try again, so the less time we spend out of the shielded room the better."

Spoiler: Adamant
    Show
    Adamant doesn't find any unexpected magic. When you check the stones, they have an aura of moderate transmutation.

8. - Top - End - #458

GreenSorcererElf

His armor reappearing, Adamant's gravely voice rumbles through the room. "Then we interrogate the axeman, today. I have my spell, Dannos, you found his hideout. His skeleton, I hope, will still be deceased. And the Mercykillers, I think, would be happy to have him once we're done."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #459

Avakuss enjoyed the fresh cooked meal. He ate slowly to enjoy it. "I am short on manifesting new powers but have plenty still active to deal with the axeman. If the ogres or rakshasas join in that will be a challenge." He ate another bite and finished it before continuing. "Remember we are in Sigil, not Ribcage. The Mercykillers don't have power here anymore right? Wouldn't starting trouble here be an issue? What if we use myself as bait with Adamant trailing behind but close enough to cast quickly and Dannos close by invisible? We need him to attack me first and hope he doesn't just teleport out. I could appear to be in a weakened state, an easy kill."

"If the rakshasas are depending on their scrying, then Joel can stay here while we deal with this. Perhaps the rakshasas will assume we were smart and left Sigil to avoid the scrying."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Joel tells you "I wouldn't recommend getting too elaborate with baiting him. The Lower Ward is a rough place, and a bit of violence here won't likely attract immediate attention. Given that you'd think the fiends would just attack everyone, but their leaders won't stand for a bloodbath as they don't want to attract the Lady's attention. But it would take large scale violence to do that, or a dabus being involved. Best if you can catch the axeman indoors of course, then no one need see anything.

What worries me more is getting the dark out of him. Threats and torture may work in bard's tales, but in truth they almost always yield only lies. He risked his life to kill me so he's committed to his barmy ideas no doubt. See if you can find another approach.

I hate to split up, but you are right Avakuss, it's best if I stay in the shielded room while you guys deal with the axeman. If he does know their location, we can't risk letting them know that we're on to him. By the way, scrying can work across planes, but it's more difficult to pull off, or in other words easier to resist."

11. - Top - End - #461

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant frowns as he considers Avakuss and Joel's words, before he looks to Joel. "Know any good mind readers?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Joel replies "Not as such, but perhaps you could trade the stones for some useful items. There may be spell scrolls that could help probe thoughts."

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

Relaxing back after eating, Dannos considers their options. "Yeah... we'll probably need your help, but it would be best not to tip our hand." he says as he tugs at the tufts of hair. "Ok, when you two are ready, best to get on with it if we're going to do this today."

14. - Top - End - #464

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant continues to frown. "If we take him out, we'll need some more permanent way to stop him from fleeing. I don't think we have the ability to hold him long term. We'll need to enlist help, well equipped help with an interest in interrogating him." He pauses for a moment, before looking at Joel. "Know any demon hunters?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #465

"I figured taking him out meant not worrying about him escaping since he'd be in the dead book."

"Any idea how much those stones are worth? Don't seem useful outside that cave."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Joel says "If anyone is to keep him long term he should be handed over to the City Guard. There's plenty of evidence against him, not only us but the witnesses in Ribcage. The City Guard isn't as large or as powerful as the lawful factions in Sigil used to be, and they are seldom around when needed, but they try.

But ... I fear word would get out quickly, especially if he is the infamous serial killer. For us, now, that won't do. We don't want to give our enemies a tip to avoid places he knows about. Honestly then, I think a bit of rough justice is in order. Make him talk, then stop him from talking.

It's been a quirk of my career that I know rather more demons than demon hunters. Certainly there are those within Sigil who would qualify. For example, the deva known as Unity of Rings is a famous cager, and he's pretty much the opposite of Rule of Three, if you will. Like Rule, he gives advice, but for free. But I wouldn't know where to find him.

As for the stones, they are unusual magic items. Perhaps worthless, but perhaps of value to a crafter, or something. I'm sure the Friendly Fiend would give you a fair price."

17. - Top - End - #467

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant gives Dannos and Joel a long look. "We don't have the skills to interrogate him. Not reliably. That means we need to find someone who can. Or get the support of someone who can."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

18. - Top - End - #468
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Joel says “It seems that our options are limited.

Hmm ... As long as he has that barmy Deck, Rule may be at risk from our enemies. But you know what it’s like to work with him.”

19. - Top - End - #469

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant shrugs. "He wanted it. Does it matter?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #470
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

“He may be willing and able to help.”

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Grimacing a bit, Dannos shrugs "That unctuous being... I feel that there is some hidden cost that he knows but doesn't share... but, I don't know of anything else. I don't want to be indebted to him, by any stretch, but maybe the warning of something coming for him might put the balance in our favor." he says as his voice rumbles.

22. - Top - End - #472

"Didn't you all pick out the best cards from the Deck already? Meaning even if you pick something safe it isn't worth the risk? Unless someone has a good angle to work on Three we probably won't like owing him a favor. I'm leaning toward selling the stones then looking for the axeman with the plan I mentioned. If he's a fanatic we won't get much out of him anyway. I'm open to another plan if worked out."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #473

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant, sensing the winds, shrugs.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

With Joel back in the lead-lined room and hopefully safe, the rest of the group heads over to the Styx Oarsman.

The walk over there proves uneventful, and the usual menagerie of shady humanoids and a few tanar'ri are inside that boat-topped tavern. The tiefling doorman Jarkman recognizes you by now, and waves you in.

Rule of Three sits at his usual spot at the bar, chatting with a comely tiefling. Seeing you coming, he dismisses her with a pat on the behind.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Dannos, when they walk to Three's table, motions to a seat with a tilt of his head and waits for Three to motion for him to sit before doing so.
    "Long time no talk to." he rumbles out with a grin. "Hoping we can help each other a bit. Spivs gotta stay upright, eh? That Deck of yours may be raising the flag with those who you might not want to draw upon. No luck that we are looking out for the same. Don't need a load of Tief, and neither do you, but if we can track down the source we can keep the heat off you... maybe even end the threat before it manifests." he says as he gauges Three's reaction.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy
    (1d20+2)[16]

Sense Motive
    (1d20+27)[29]

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The 'githzerai' doesn't motion for you to sit in the main room; instead he stands and leads the way upstairs, to room 3, where you had a discussion with him the other day. As he did then, he sits heavily on the bed and motions for you to sit on the three chairs therein.

After hearing Dannos' pitch he replies "The Deck has not disappointed, and I'm in no hurry to part with it.

Here in my kip, no berk would dare nick me. Elsewhere in the Cage some leatherheads might try, but I can give 'em the laugh if need be.

Still ... It doesn't help my rep if I have to be peery on account of some addle-coved cultists. The chant I picked up confirms that there are clueless ogres trying their luck at the cross-trade in this Ward.

What do you propose?"

27. - Top - End - #477

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant nods, slowly. "We have questions to ask, and someone to ask them of, but limited means to verify the answers."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Rule replies "You're being cagey with the details, which doesn't help me help you.

However, there is a succubus who sometimes helps me question ... persons of interest. Her abilities of disguise, charm, and magical suggestions can often help, in addition to her considerable way with words.

Under the circumstances, I might be willing to ask her help in the matter, though then I would owe her a favor, which I am reluctant to do unless you give me reason to believe your questioning of the someone would pay off. Also, should any harm come to my associate, I will hold you responsible."

29. - Top - End - #479

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant shrugs. "We know he's worked for them in the past, as an assassin. Whether he knows more?" He shrugs again, his armor clanking a little as he does. "Only one way to find out."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

30. - Top - End - #480
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Rule replies "Fine. I'll contact my associate. Wait for me at the bar. Get something to drink, you look nervous. I will meet you down there in perhaps ten minutes, and probably not alone."

He opens the door to the room and points to indicate that you should leave now. Once your trio leaves, he closes the door again.

Spoiler: Dannos
    Show
    Rule is an 'arcanist', as are most outsiders due to their spell-like abilities.

After he closes the door, you notice that he vanishes. Most likely, he has teleported somewhere.

Downstairs, the tavern is chaotic and rowdy as usual, but no one harasses you ... probably because you appear to know Rule.

After about fifteen minutes, Rule comes downstairs. Accompanying him is a beautiful human-appearing woman in a red dress.

Rule tells you "This is my associate, Nari. She has agreed to help."

She smiles. "Pleased to meet you."