New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Planescape: Full Circle - IC

Avakuss heads outside to have a look; one of the Mercykiller men follows him.

In the street outside, he catches sight of the half-dozen tieflings, walking away from the tavern. In the distance he also sees a pair of humans and a few other pedestrians that are too far to identify much about. There is no sign of the plate-armored assassin, however.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

As the blast of negative energy washes over him, Adamant hunches, letting his armor take the brunt of it. However, by the time he comes out of it, the assassin's gone, by magic.

Adamant quickly looks around for further foes, before surreptitiously wiping his sword down, and sheathing it. It's after that that his graveley voice can be heard by the Mercykillers. "Good question."

With that, he looks to Joel, his old friend, and the one that'd introduced him to Sigil. He gently removes his gauntlet, before shutting Joel's eyes, and speaking as softly as he can. "May the earthmother protect you." After a moment of silence, he starts to check Joel's pockets, looking for keys, notes, or anything of interest, knowing that he wasn't going to catch someone in a sprint.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nothing. Avakuss gritted his teeth. The fight had been one sided but the damage was done. Adrenaline was still pouring through his blood. He looked at the Mercykiller then went back inside as he sheathed his sword. Adamant was searching Joel for any clues. The goliath paused, gazing at his former mentor. He looked at the remains of the skeleton and picked up its axe, evaluating it. He turned to the female Mercykiller.

"A fanatic. Well armored. Necromancy. Worried about benefit of the whole. Any idea what group they were from?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Know(Local) (1d20+2)[21]
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Dannos only got a brief glimpse of the killer's face. From what he saw, the man is a gaunt, grey skinned half orc, with a short beard. He did not have facial scars, which orcs and half-orcs who live among them tend to have.

Avakuss sees that the skeleton's axe appears to be well balanced and fashioned of cold-forged iron. The skeleton had been wearing a chain shirt, though it doesn't look especially well made.

Adamant searches the dead warlock's pockets and finds several (67) gold pieces, a rather large diamond, a potion, and a key. Joel also had on him a chain shirt, a heavy mace, an elegantly styled white leather vest edged in silver piping, and a broad leather belt studded with three moonstones.

The Mercykillers use their own belts to heal themselves.

The woman says "There have been other murders recently, in some of the gate towns and in the Cage. Each of the victims was slain with a single devastating blow from a slashing weapon. Based on that, some were saying that a giant could have done it.

But now I'm thinking that this berk must be the serial killer. Though he never left witnesses before that I know of.

All of the other victims were known to be barmy. Was your friend here like that too?

Well, my name is Nere Jones. What was the victim's name, and yours?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

As Dannos stands, he listens to the Mercykiller speak. "Well, it sounds like this serial killer picked a fight he couldn't win, but still managed to get away." with a rumble like distant thunder. "His name was Joel... he had some quirks but definitely not barmy. Wait, this might not be the first time this sodding maniac has struck? I had no word of this. Your brethren know nothing of this, other than that? I'm surprised that justice hasn't been wrought on this killer yet." he says, in an almost admonishing tone.

6. - Top - End - #36

GreenSorcererElf

Straightening up from his search, Adamant frowns. "I'm Adamant. And Joel... he was a mentor to me. To us. We'll get to the bottom of this."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Nere Jones replies "In the old days, the berk would've been scragged by now, that's for damn sure. But now, with the factions barred, law in the Cage is a joke. This is the result. But yeah, it makes us look bad.

We're on the same side here, eh? So you bloods should tell me whatever you know that might help. You got a kip here, or just banging around? We have an office in the Citadel, in case you want to leave information for me.

In any case, stay peery. My jink says a killer like this won't accept failure. If you have your friend raised, he'll need minders."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, the prod might be like that... I guess its up to find out." Dannos says as he looks at Adamant and Avakuss before turning back to Nere Jones.
    "We need to get on with justice... how do we get ahold of you if you want to see this out and we need help? Ya seem canny and if you catch a skeg of him, I'll give you mine." with that, he rattles off his office/home.

9. - Top - End - #39

GreenSorcererElf

With a shrug Adamant dismisses his armor(Revealing a fluffy pink robe and a guisarme), before casting prestidigitation, and resummoning the armor. With that, he starts cleaning up the blood spilled(Specifically theirs, and Joel's), before he finishes transferring loose, easily droppable items into his bag, and hoists the now clean corpse over his shoulder.
    "Suppose we should find a priest."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

10. - Top - End - #40

The goliath was not in a happy mood. "I'm Avakuss. No, Joel wasn't barmy. He helped us all when we were more clueless. He was just telling us there was something bad going on, asking if we were prepared to risk becoming a deader to stop it. Said he was being targeted for what he knew. That's the last we got out of him."

"You are leaving just like that? You don't know much about the killer and leaving when we have clues here? You saw his armor, his face, his axe. He was a barmy fanatic. Next time I fight him I'll beat him so far unconscious an army of exploding skeletons won't help him. That skeleton was no beginner project. It knew how to fight and could take a beating. He or his group know strong necromancy. What groups could that be? "

"Joel apparently knew more about this than your lot. Get him resurrected and you'll get more answers than you've got until now. That's your path to justice. Raise him and we'll keep him alive."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The Mercykiller replies "So the victim was paranoid and asked you to risk death? Sounds barmy to me, even if it's a self-fulfilling kind at that.

Well, I couldn't see the killer's face under that helmet."

(To Dannos) "Did you see anything? You started to examine him."

She continues "Seemed like you all made quick work of those two, so I don't know if that skeleton was all that tough as you say, but the explosion was something, true.

Necromancers? The Dustmen, of course, but this isn't their style. And Ribcage is crawling with clueless Prime spellslingers who think the gate-town to Baator is the perfect place to make deals with the devils. Some fiends can animate the dead too, but they're not supposed to be here.

We are not in the business of raising victims, only of bringing justice to the lawbreakers. We can barely afford to raise own own fallen, these days ..."

OOC: Cavir: Make a Diplomacy check for Avakuss

12. - Top - End - #42

"Not in the business of raising victims, but this is not normal business. You are trying to track a serial killer. That assassin is giving you and your whole order the laugh. First real lead you have. You are just going to throw it away? Imagine the killer striking again killing someone well known and chant gets out the Merceykillers could have tracked him down but were a sodding leatherhead. Or imagine your order helps with pulling Joel from the dead book and you catch the killer. Would make you and your order look quite cutter."

"The killer saw you three. Likely to be coming after you too. He gets fixed up by tomorrow and pays a visit to you just like he did Joel. Don't want that right? Help Joel get raised and he'll tell you all the dark he's got on the killer. If it's not helpful I'll owe ya. Yes some jink from your order but all good for your lives and your order. Going to pass this up?"

Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+6)[10]
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

"Scarless half-orc with a short beard... grey-skinned, looked like he could use a sandwich or ten to get him healthy." he said to Nere Jones, concentrating for a moment to commit his look to memory. As Avakuss speaks, he stands from his squating position, dusting his hands on his pants as he does so, and waits on the Mercykillers response.

14. - Top - End - #44

GreenSorcererElf

Listening, Adamant tries to think, tries to see if any of his memories include such a murderous death cult, even as he checks the remains of the skeleton for any form of insignia.

Spoiler: Rolls?
    Show

(1d20+3)[12] Search, seeking the insignia
    38! Know: Local, who would have the ability to make such skeletons?(+1 more if this would be more appropriate as a history or planes check)
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2020-07-20 at 06:57 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

With the danger apparently over, the hobgoblin bartender emerges from the cover of the bar and pours herself a drink.

The Mercykiller says "It doesn't matter that he saw us. We were not his target, and he knows we didn't get a look at his face. There's nothing we know that every watchman in this burg soon won't. Besides, most berks don't look past the badge.

Did your friend know about the killer? I'm doubtful. But you cutters will raise the sod one way or another, anyway, I think. No money? Skilled swordsmen can always find work.

Half-orc? Ok, thanks. I'll put it in my report.

As I said, you can leave me a message at the Citadel, if you do come across any new information. I'll see you around. Good luck to you."

(to the other Mercykillers) "Come on boys, all this talk gives me the yawn. Let's go file that report." They begin to head out.

Spoiler: Adamant
    Show
    There are no insignia on the skeleton.

Thinking back on the tales you've heard and read, you recall mention of a sort of martial necromancers known as necroblades. They're not any kind of organization, just those who have mastered another way of combining martial skill with a form of magic. With further research, it could even be a path open to you, in the unlikely event that you choose to take it as you gain more experience.
    Last edited by kinem; 2020-07-20 at 07:09 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

As the Mercykillers leave, Dannos watches them for a moment before looking at the spot where the assassin was. "Pour one for each of us, too." has he slaps some jink on the bar. He takes a deep swallow and, thinking better of it, doubles his coins as he points towards his drink. Once Adamant and Avakuss approach, he shakes his head as he says "What do make of all this? I don't have the funds for this and I don't know any high-up who has the outlay who would help Joel." Rubing his chin, he thinks about having another drink but thinks better of it. Snapping his fingers, he says "We need to get to Joel's place... need to be peery, maybe scan him if we can't beat him there."

Spoiler
    Show

Was anything revealed from this post?

17. - Top - End - #47

Avakuss sneered at the retreating Mercykillers. As they exited the door he turned back to his companions. "Joel's place is a good idea. First though, what about Joel? Can't just leave his body right here. I'm all for raising him if we can. I can carry him easily. Does that big diamond he had help pull him from the dead book? Use the rest of his gear to secure a loan? If it helps I can see if the smith that just finished my sword will trade it back for a few days to get enough jink. If we can't, a Speak with Dead spell for now to get us in the right direction?"

Show
    What does the town do with bodies? What about ones hoped to be raised soon? Do we know of nearby churches that would hold the body and/or do the raising? Going rate?

Is there banking? If not maybe a magic shop would do the secured loan?

Do we have any idea what Joel's gear did (since we knew him)?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant looks to the barkeep, and produces the key Joel was carrying. "This one of yours?"

Spoiler: Carrying
    Show

Adamant's already picked up Joel, after using prestidigitation to clean up the blood from the area.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The bartender pours you each a strong, clear drink and says "Poor sod. Joel wasn't a regular. In the past couple of days though he was here a lot, waiting for you no doubt. Didn't say much to me, but tipped well.

We don't rent rooms here. Best food and drink in town, that's all we have. There are some inns nearby, he may have been staying at one. Let me see that key. Hmm ... No number on it. Could be from the place on Coney Street, three blocks toward the Citadel from here. They only have a few rooms."

Spoiler: razorback
    Show
    When Dannos began to search the body of the killer, he did get a glimpse of the man's face, as noted. That's the only real information he had time to get. Also, you already know what happened here in terms of the violence, so clues about that are moot. I'll add that the man's armor had no symbols marked on it, but it was high quality, and Dannos would probably recognize that same suit of armor if he saw it again.

OOC:
    About Joel's gear, you know that his belt is a Healing Belt, and the vest is probably the kind that helps in resisting magical attacks.

There are temples in Ribcage, but they are all to Lawful Evil deities. Some of these might be willing and able to cast Raise Dead in exchange for payment, but they certainly wouldn't give you a break on the price. If you return to Sigil or travel to other Gate Towns, you could find just about any kind of temple.

The usual minimum fee for a Raise Dead spell would be at least 450 gp + 5000 gp worth of diamonds.

Some temples might be willing to store bodies if you pay to have Gentle Repose spells cast on the body, which would cost at least 20 gp per day (minimum 60 gp).

Banks certainly exist both on Ribcage and in Sigil. Sigil has the equivalent of magic shops although they are usually specialized, the most famous of which is the Friendly Fiend run by A'kin the Arcanaloth.

20. - Top - End - #50

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant knocks back his drink, before flipping a gold coin to the bartender. "Thanks."

He turns, and looks back, and looks over the room once more time, wondering briefly how often things like this happen here, before he starts to stride towards the exit, planing on checking at the place in Coney Street.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Dannos nods as he hefts his chain over his shoulder. Taking a glance at Joel's boots, he says to Adamant and Avakuss "When we get to the building, give me a moment to check the entrance. I want to see if I can figure out if anyone besides Joel has been in and out, and to see if they left us any surprises."

22. - Top - End - #52

With Adamant carrying Joel, Avakuss takes anything of note from the skeleton, breaking the bones instead of the typical method of removing a chain shirt. The axe gets strapped to his back, criss crossed with his own blade. The chain shirt and anything else gets put into his handy haversack. The skeleton's skull gets crushed from a boot stomp.

Avakuss taps his healing belt to remove some of the sting from the fight then follows the others. He keeps watch along the way.

Show
    Healing (2d8)[6]
    Spot [roll]1d20+9/roll]

Anything else from the skeleton?
    well balanced and fashioned of cold-forged iron greataxe
    plain chain shirt
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The bartender sighs as Avakuss makes a mess of the skeleton. She goes to fetch a broom and dustbin.

The skeleton had nothing else on it besides the armor and the axe, which suggests that in its undead state it had been little more than an animated weapon rather than a person.

The building on Coney Street proves to be a plain brick affair with six doorways; evidently each would lead to an individual apartment with the building. The windows are dark, but that means little as tielflings and various other races have darkvision.

If the bartender's guess is right, Joel's key would fit one of the door locks ...

24. - Top - End - #54

GreenSorcererElf

With a corpse on one shoulder, Adamant starts trying the locks, to see if the key fit, methodically working his way through the doors.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

On door number (1d6)[6], Adamant successfully opens the lock with Joel's key.

The apartment within is rather simple. There's a window with the curtain drawn over it, an unmade bed, a table with an unlit lamp and some blank papers and ink, two chairs, a chamber pot, and some iron rations.

A search of the bed reveals a sealed letter under the pillow.

Opening it you read:

To my friends:

If you are reading this, I am probably dead. Long story short, I fell in with a trio who are not what I thought. We had a lead on some ancient treasure. It turned out to be a prison for an ancient evil. I weakened the seal. I need to get back there and fix it before there's real trouble. Did I mention it's in Baator?

The trio turned out to be monsters called rakshasas. They can change appearance. One has sorcery, the other two are deadly fighters. They want to stop me and must be the ones who killed me.

If you have my body, you may have found my diamond worth about 5000 jink. Raise me if you can. - J
    Last edited by kinem; 2020-07-25 at 03:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

As Adamant finds the correct door, he puts his hand on his shoulder as he inspects the floor and door for traps or clues. Once satisfied, he nods for them to enter.

Spoiler
    Show

Search
    (1d20+28)[35]

Spot
    (1d20+14)[22]

After they read the note, Dannos looks pensive for a moment before speaking. "Looks like Joel anticipated this. It would seem that we should get on with it. Baator?" he voice rumbles as he shakes his head. "I don't know about either of you, but it wasn't on my place to go vacation or work."

27. - Top - End - #57

GreenSorcererElf

After reading the letter, Adamant frowns as he thinks, pausing for a moment to remove his helmet, revealing his dark grey hair and chiseled features, and scratches, before putting his helm back on.
    "I think we're missing something. If these rakshasas want to break the seal, why haven't they done it yet? If the seal was weakened, but not breached how did Joel realize what the place was? Did that lead come from the rakshasas? Or Joel? And that orc... with the series of killings... something more's going on. And we don't know."
    His words come slowly, begrudgingly as he stops and thinks.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

What does Adamant know about Rakshasas?
    (1d20+20)[39] Know planes: Rakshasa?
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #58

Avakuss keeps an eye at the door while the other two search and relay their findings. "Plenty of questions. We want to raise him and he wants it. Let's go do it and get some answers."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Dannos doesn't see any traps. It does appear that a few different people have been through the door within the past few days, but that's to be expected if Joel rented the place recently.

Adamant ponders what he can recall about Rakshasas ...

Spoiler: Adamant
    Show
    Rakshasas are fiends resembling humanoid tigers with backwards hands, who tend towards organized evil. Many make their home on the Prime, but some groups can be found in Baator and nearby planes. All can magically disguise themselves and can read minds to an extent. Often they have sorcerous powers, but subraces exist with a different focus, such as the Naztharune who are skilled assassins and fighters, and the Ak'chazar are powerful necromancers. They are resistant to magic and blows, although not to holy piercing weapons. Though loosely organized now, it is said that in the distant past, they were led by Rajas of nearly god-like power.

30. - Top - End - #60

GreenSorcererElf

Coming out of his slow pondering, Adamant slowly surveys the room for any listeners.

(1d20+1)[3] Spot

Once he's satisfied that there aren't any unwelcome ears listening in, he resumes speaking, still in that slow, gravely fashion. "Rakshasas are shapeshifters, organized in their evil, and can be found in Baator, among other places. They're good at disguises, mind reading, resisting magic, and resisting weapons, although not holy ones. They're got groups with different focuses, such as assassination, or necromancy, and in the distant past they were lead by much more powerful Raja's... one of which I'd say is the sealed evil. So many questions. And if there's nothing else here, let's move on the next step of our plan."

With that, he heads towards the door, meaning to lock it once Avakuss and Dannos had left as well.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss