New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Planescape: Full Circle - IC

Once out the door, Dannos looks as if his concentration is on his speech with the others as he casually scans the area.
    "So, the Dustmen then? I don't know if we have any time to try and hunt another cleric or necromancer to bring him back."

Spoiler
    Show

Spot
    (1d20+14)[19]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Avakuss shakes his head in disappointment. "Evil shapeshifters? Bloody fool. Bad enough their plot, and we have to watch for them pretending to be one of us."

"Closest caster you know of then. Joel had one thing right, be ready with a diamond. Let's go."
    With Dannos knowing where to go and Adamant carrying Joel, Avakuss follows behind the other two. Don't want anyone making off with the body...
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

After locking the door, Adamant shrugs, pockets the key, and follows Dannos, who has an idea of where to go.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Carrying a corpse through the streets of Ribcage, you attract a number of odd looks from those you pass.

The official gate from Ribcage to Sigil is inside a guard tower (which must have been purposely built around it), and the posted fee for using it is 5 jink per person. The gate is sealed and must be opened in some particular way known to the guards. Rumor has it that there are several Sigil gates in every gate-town, but if so, those are only known to a few people.

There are many guards here, but the one that steps forward to deal with your case is a male bladeling.

He says "What's the story here? And you know, if I let him through, he's a person, eh?"

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

"Come one, we're bringin' in this deader to put in a box. Bad 'nuff I gotta tell his brother and sister now you're gonna clip me for some'ore jink?"

Spoiler: If he doesn't budge
    Show

"Come'on, this berk can't be worth all that... well, what about 2? Check him, dead as last years lunch."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The bladeling does not seem amused.

"Don't be a leatherhead. Tell me the dark of this or I'll have you all arrested on suspicion of murder."

7. - Top - End - #67

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant glances around, seeing what sort of backup the bladeling has around, and looking to see if any of the mercykillers from the tavern happen to be there. Or the tieflings who fled.

(1d20+1)[4] Spot the handy witness!
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Adamant doesn't see any of the witnesses from the tavern here. As for the guards, there are at least half a dozen that you've seen, but probably many more in the tower. There are also portcullises that can be dropped at strategic locations, and murder holes at certain locations near the ceiling. The gate to Sigil is a potential invasion point for the burg, so it makes sense that the authorities here would be serious about security.

9. - Top - End - #69

Avakuss shook his head then spoke up from his greater height but with diplomacy without intimadation. "We scragged the barmy that did this to our friend here, but then the scum teleported away. Nere from the Mercykillers saw it too. She left it to us to deal with things. We're gonna pull our friend from the dead-book, find out who the assassin is, then take a ride to find him. He had two axes. I grabbed this one. I aim to collect his other one. He's gonna beg to be fed to the wyrm."

"Seems a bit barmy to have to pay for someone in the dead-book but we'll have our friend answer to that later. Here's the 20 jink for the four of us."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The bladeling replies "Nere? I've met her.

For some reason, I think you're telling the truth. Very well, just make sure that you don't break any laws in Ribcage. Vigilantes get scragged the same as any berk.

We charge a fee for cargo too. Running a gate safely ain't cheap, so pike the gripes."

After taking the jink, he hands Avakuss a wooden token with a symbol you don't recognize carved into it. Evidently this is the gate key. With another guard, he opens the door to the gate room, which simply looks like a dead end closet. However, when you enter, the gate springs open and you can see another room past where the wall had been. After the three of you pass, the gate closes behind you. Avakuss notices that the gate key has vanished.

On the other side is another small keep, but there are no further fees or questions as you leave the building. You find yourselves back in Sigil - a comforting sight, although you are at the edge of the Lower Ward.

Here too, the sight of a corpse being paraded through the streets attracts uneasy stares as you make your way to the Mortuary in the Hive.

The Mortuary stands in a hopeless area of the Hive. It's ringed by the slums of Sigil's Unclean - those who do work that others won't touch. The surroundings are almost safe, since the people here tend to be honest despite their wretched circumstances. Small alehouses, tanneries, and slaughterhouses fill the area. You meet a number of Unclean going about their business; a few children are following them, begging for coins. The hustle and bustle comes to a complete stop on the Mortuary's side of the street.

One black somber gate leads into the jagged edifice of dark stone. The Mortuary is a collection of dilapidated mausoleums.

Inside the gate, you are hailed by a squad of six guards, dressed in black. Dustmen? Not anymore, not officially, but everyone knows that the Mortuary carries on much as it always did.

One asks "What's your business here? You wish to have him embalmed or cremated?"
    Last edited by kinem; 2020-07-30 at 07:48 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

After getting through the gate, Dannos breathes a sigh of relief. It hadn't gone the way he hoped but they were through.
    As they move through the slums, he feels pity for the people, especially the children, but he keeps moving with a sad shake of his head. Its dark way of life down in the Hive was not somewhere he had enjoyed coming down to, though work had brought him to this side of Sigil more times than he'd like to think.
    "The Groke don't like being in the dead-book and asked us to bring him back if he ended up in it. So, here we are, body in tow. Don't suppose you can point us in the right direction ta fix our situation?" the half-giant says as the guards confront them.

12. - Top - End - #72

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant continues to follow along silently, holding Joel's corpse easily over one shoulder, and glaring at anyone who gets too close, content to let more talky people do the talky pieces of the job.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The black clad guard rubs his head, trying to understand the situation. "He doesn't like it? He told you that? Sounds to me like he's already undead then ..."

OOC: Because the inhabitants of the Mortuary don't see that much of a difference between life, death, and undeath, it takes a while to explain things. However, doing so simply requires a bit of patience, so we don't need to roleplay the whole conversation via PBP. Eventually, you are directed to see a priest called Father Later. In order to do so, you must check your weapons at the entrance.

Father Later proves to be an elderly githzerai man clad in a black robe. He examines the diamond that you present to him. He speaks slowly in a deep voice.

"It may be enough. I can't guarantee it. It wouldn't hurt to throw in a few smaller diamonds as well, which you can supply or purchase. That is your call. The diamonds will vanish when the spell is cast. Now if the diamond is too small, it won't vanish, but the spell will fail. In that case I can not try again until tomorrow, and you must pay a fee for each attempt.

I will do this for a donation of four hundred and fifty jink. If you wish to better support our important work, you may of course provide a more generous donation.

You must understand that the spell won't work if your friend does not wish to return. Even if he does return, he won't be quite the same. Being raised from the dead takes a toll."

14. - Top - End - #74

Avakuss looks to Adamant and Dannos. "I'm short on jink but the chain shirt will get us 50. Adamant, can you ID the axe? We could sell that for spare diamonds and the spell, though I'd rather use it to entice our prey to come to us."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Weapons got checked in, but that's just a matter of going back to the entrance so it shouldn't derail everything.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Dannos blanches at the amount.
    Gonna be difficult to pay the rent next month.> he says with a sigh as he reaches into various pouches around his body, each with 50 jink. "You better be wanting to coming back... mutters like a rushing river. To Avakuss "I got this for now. I'd rather keep the items for the reasons you said. Once we are done, I'll try to recoup off this." before turning to the Gith as he hands over the coins. "Do your best, Father."

16. - Top - End - #76

GreenSorcererElf

Distracted by the decorative stonework around the mortuary, Adamant doesn't react in time to offer to shout, but by the time the payment is being discussed, he comes out of his daze. "I can, Avakuss, given some time."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Father Later gives you a curious look at all the talk of enticing prey, but doesn't comment. He accepts the jink and puts it into a wooden chest.

With your help he lays the body of Joel Tavarus flat on its back on a small bed. He places his hands on the corpse, holding the diamond in one, and begins intoning the words of the spell.

For a full minute, he continues speaking the eerie syllables.

Finally, he stops. He opens his hand, and you see that the diamond is gone.

Coughs from the corpse prove that the spell seemingly worked.

Joel open his eyes and sits up, unsteady at first. "Ah. Thank you. Did you find my note?"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Dannos nods as he looks at the Gith with a smile. Thank you, Father Later. Would it be possible for you to give us a few moments alone with our friend?"
    Once the father leaves, Dannos says "Yes, we did. Would have been easier, and less painful for you, if you had let us know this was afoot. What the in the nine hells is going on?
    And who was that half-orc who decided you'd look better in a box, with your body having a huge axe chop in it? What have you gotten yourself, and us, involved in?"
    He doesn't sound mad, just a bit irritated by the whole situation, bushy eyebrows twitching visibly.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Joel nods. "I got into a mess alright. Sorry. It would have been easier to say that with a bit of liquor in me, as I planned to, but eh, plans change.

Half-orc? The axe guy? I have no idea. That's not who I expected to come after me. I take it that you guys put him down. Probably a hired goon.

They're tricky, those rakshasas. I probably got a bit greedy when they spun tales of treasure.

They needed a mortal to get into the place. It's warded against their kind.

Once inside, I was supposed to use my knowledge of how to operate magical items that can be stubborn about who uses 'em, in order to open the seal. But it was more complicated and time consuming than a normal bit of magic. Partway through, I kind of formed a mental bond with who's inside. I realized what was going on, and knew I had to stop it. But it woke up some guardians. Something big; I didn't stick around to see what.

I ran like hell and spent a scroll I had to plane shift out of there. But the damage is done. It's only a matter of time until the seal opens. I think I can reverse the process, but I'd need a few minutes, and I doubt I could take out the guards by myself."
    Last edited by kinem; 2020-08-01 at 04:43 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

"You don't know this orc? Yeah, probably a hired sword by the sound of it. And, Rakshasas, Joel??? You were the one who warned me to never deal with them. You said something like 'What you think you're buying from a Rakshasa isn't what their selling' and I'd be bally sod if I did it." The plodding half-giant mumbled something unintelligible to himself before he continued as he looked at Adamant and Avakuss "Well, you two can think I've gone windy like Joel, but I can't imagine those Rakshasas are up to any good and whatever I friend did here... well, I'd be berk not to, but I'd hold it nonce against you if you choose not to."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Joel says “Thank you. To clarify, I didn’t know what they were, until we got there. Not an excuse, but still.”

22. - Top - End - #82

GreenSorcererElf

Listening to the conversation, Adamant takes a moment to reach down to his belt, before applying the heading to Joel.

Spoiler: OOC using 2 charges, 1 after the other
    Show

(4d8)[25] Healing

Finishing that, he finally chimes in, his gravely voice filled with concern. "We can't stay here long. You have a place, Joel? A secure place? We need to talk plans."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

"Ah yes, the pain. Thank you, Adamant." Joel uses one charge from his own belt as well. (2d8)[8]

"Safe? Secure place? No. I don't think there is. One of the rakshasas is a spellslinger and he probably used magic to help him track me down. He can teleport, I know that much, and with at least three passengers.

Besides, I don't know how much time we have to fix the seal. Could be too late, could be days, could be years. My guess is days, just the impression I got. Best to head there as soon as possible
    ."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright. We went by your place but didn't toss it, only found your note. Do you need to go there to pick up anything? Also, where is this seal and how do we get there?"

Spoiler
    Show

Sense motive on Joel
    (1d20+25)[27]
    Trying to figure out if he's holding anything back or being deceptive, as it might seem like he might be apt to do.

25. - Top - End - #85

"Yeah, I'm in. If it's too late already we'll be in for a bigger surprise than you had last time. We need to know all you can tell us. We also need to do something about healing if we're going to be facing guardians, your recent partners, the half-orc, and his skeleton side-kicks if he has any more." Avakuss finishes off his healing belt on Joel and himself.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Joel: (2d8)[7]
    Avakuss: (2d8)[12]

Guess I should have taken the psionic healing power, or at least a dorje of it.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant opens his mouth to speak, but closes it, as Avakuss asks the question he was going to ask, instead using his ring of arming to swap back into his pink robes, and casting see invisibility, before swapping back to his armor, and looking around the room for any signs of someone trying to listen in unnoticed.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: Dannos
    Show
    As far as you can tell, Joel is not being deceptive.

Spoiler: Adamant
    Show
    You don't detect anything invisible.

As Avakuss moves to further heal him, Joel holds up a hand to signal him to stop. "Thanks, but I'm fine now.

So the axe guy got away? Damn. No, the apartment doesn't have much.

The seal is near a volcano, I think it's called Mount Tannaj. As you might have guessed, it's a prison for an ancient rakshasa leader. If he could unite the rakshasas behind him once again, it could alter the balance of power in the planes.

I'd recognize it, but how to find it ... I have an idea about that, but you are not going to like it.

There's a cutter who knows more about the lower side of the Wheel than anyone. I've dealt with him before and his information was good. Calls himself Rule of Three. He presents himself as a Gith but I'm not going to lie, he's probably a fiend. Doesn't matter.

He often hangs out at a place called the Styx Oarsman in the Lower Ward. The place is full of tanar'ri, so at least, he's on the chaotic side, and no friend to rakshasas.

He could give us the information we need, and maybe even front us some jink. He'll want something in return, a big problem maybe, but we can worry about that later."
    Last edited by kinem; 2020-08-03 at 08:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

With a shake of his head, Dannos mutters out "Never will change, will you? Dealing with tanar'ri's or some fiend who portrays himself as a Gith. Don't like owing favors to anyone, especially those." he gives a big sigh. "Alright, let's get on with this unless you guys need anything before we go down there." he says to Adamant and
    Avakuss. Once they are ready, they start heading down to the lower ward, looking for the Styx Oarsman.
    Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (Local-Sigil)
    (1d20+11)[28]
    edit the knowledge roll was to figure out if he knows who the Rule of Three is.

Last edited by razorback; 2020-08-04 at 09:36 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: Dannos
    Show
    You have indeed heard of Rule-of Three, one of Sigil's better known information brokers. It's said that he dispenses cryptic but reliable advice, and the Styx Oarsman's the place to find him. It's said that he only takes payment in groups of three things.

30. - Top - End - #90

"Spent pretty much all my jink on my new weapon. Let's sell off this chain shirt on the way then I'm ready to go."
    Show