Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Planescape: Full Circle - IC

"Alright, sounds good about selling that. Rule of Three, as I've heard but never met, is a one of them that's got eyes 'n ears everywhere about Sigil. Maybe knows more about me, me mum and all of you more that we do. I heard he gives out info, but... well, sounds windy but, if you can decipher its meaning, is reliable. The Styx Oarsman's the place to find him. Heard he only takes payment in groups of three things... but not sure if that's jink or some'n else." Dannos prattles off as the move to find a merchant to offload the armor.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant frowns, before replying. "Information brokers rarely want just money. Especially planar ones. Expect favors that are likely to lead to needing more from the broker."
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

"One problem at a time, I say" Joel says.

As the party leaves the Mortuary, you pass by recently embalmed bodies, and note the presence of some zombies performing various simple labors.

The Hive is not the best place to find an armor merchant, but you do find such a shop. The chain shirt fetches 50 jink when sold.

From there, you head to the Lower Ward. Joel seems to know this area of Sigil well enough, and leads you without incident to the Styx Oarsman, despite the fact that you pass several fiends in the street among the tieflings and other humanoids and creatures. Sigil is supposed to be neutral ground for all races, and perhaps the fear of the Lady is what keeps them in check ...

The two-storey structure of the Styx Oarsman squats on the edge of Heward's Forks, a small square connecting the bend in Brandy Lane to the curving thoroughfare of Ironmonger Street. The dung covered statue that is set in the square gives the small court it's name and provides the local avians with a favourite perch and latrine.

The Styx Oarsman itself appears to be a roughly rectangular building with a boat on top of it, which serves as the upper floor.

The doorman is a burly tielfling who's chewing on a cigar. He opens the heavy barred door but doesn't look inclined to let you pass, until Joel slips him what looks like a hefty amount of jink, and says "Come on Jarkman, I've been here before, and these three won't cause trouble." Jarkman lets you pass.

Inside is a noisy menagerie of sorts, with several tanar'ri present - a pair of vrocks, a marilith behind the bar, a few babau, and numerous quasits. There are also many githzerai, as well as humans, tielflings, dwarves, a few drow elves, a few fiendish minotaurs, and even a few yugoloths. Several of the patrons are playing cards or tossing dice; most have drinks. It does not appear that food is served here.

Joel looks around, trying to get oriented, and focuses in on an elderly githzerai man drinking at the bar. He gestures that you should follow him.

The man he approaches has a fine silvery chain shirt on and a sheathed longsword and dagger, and regards you with a bit of amusement. One thing for sure, the man looks quite comfortable here.

Joel tells him "Rule, you remember me, right? My three companions are all trustworthy men. We need ..."

Rule of Three interrupts him. "Three companions indeed. I remember you, Joel, warlock, wanderer.

If indeed your three companions are trustworthy, then why should I deal with you, who I don't trust? Begone, and I will deal with them."

Joel sighs and tells you "You got this." He goes to the other end of the bar and orders a drink.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Avakuss takes the jink from the merchant and gives 15 each to Adamant and Danoss, taking the few extra for himself to balance the gate charge. He was cognizant of the debt still owed to Dannos, even if that should be coming from Joel.

Entering the Styx Oarsman, the goliath keeps his ears open and his mouth shut, trying to learn from and gauge the situation. Rule of Three. Likes things in threes. Ok. Could be a fun challenge. He's surprised by Joel's quick dismissal. The plan has already hit a snag, great. Joel didn't even tell us what we were looking for here. After a pregnant pause he speaks up.

"I'm Avakuss, goliath, warrior. We three need to take Joel to a volcano, Mount Tannaj, in Baator. Joel said you are a cutter, reliable, with the knowledge to help us. "
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

6. - Top - End - #96

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant gives Joel a long look as he meekly leaves, wondering just what this creature knew about Joel, before he turns his attention to Rule of Three, but remains silent as Avakuss introduces himself.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Dannos nods in agreement with Avakuss. "Dannos, a half-giant. As my friend said, we are seeking your help.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The marilith bartender gives Avakuss a strange look, but Rule of Three signals to her with his hand, and she goes back to serving drinks, which she can do several at a time.

Rule of Three replies "Be careful what you say around here.

But I know a guy who could get you there, and he owes me plenty, so he'll do it if I ask him. And it's a big ask, so he won't do it if I don't.

Tell you what. If I do this for you, I ask a simple favor in return. I have a lead on the location of a certain item, which I would like to acquire. It's valuable enough that I don't trust any of my usual agents to go get it. As for myself, my place is here, not in the field. I will provide the other details as needed, privately, and only if you agree to do it."

9. - Top - End - #99

Avakuss pursed his lips momentarily and nodded, not realizing he was speaking loud enough for others to hear. He gave Danoss and Adamant a questioning look with the slightest touch of implying openess to the proposition.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

10. - Top - End - #100

GreenSorcererElf

Taking a deep breath, Adamant takes advantage of Avakuss's look, and replies. "What are the risks for your favor?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

"Valuable enough or dangerous enough you don't want to risk your own men?" with a tilt of his head right on top of Adamants question, though he can tell he'll get little to nothing from the Gith until they agree.

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive
    (1d20+25)[41]

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

'Rule' replies "Risks? Challenges? Dangers? Nothing worth doing is without them. I don't know exactly what you would face, if anything, but if those weapons of yours are just for show, you have no business going where you plan to."

Spoiler: Dannos
    Show
    As far as you can tell, he is not being deceptive.

13. - Top - End - #103

"Fine, but we need to keep Joel with us. Where to for our little chat?"
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Dannos just nods in agreement, keeping his face blank.

15. - Top - End - #105

GreenSorcererElf

With no details on offer, Adamant seems less than happy with Rule's answers, but he remains silent, waiting for further conversation.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

"Come with me" 'Rule' replies. He gets up, taking his drink with him. With Joel in tow, he leads you up a wooden staircase to the portion of the tavern that's built like a boat.

He unlocks and opens a door marked #3 and leads you into a small room, then closes the door. Inside are a bed, and several chairs. He sits heavily on the bed and motions for you to sit.

"A cultist from a Prime world called Oerth told me this tale. He served a rather dark god named Tharizdun. His cult had great plans for conquest, but they were foiled by a group of enemies, and his cult was cast down. Many of them escaped, hoping to rebuild elsewhere, for like me they knew the value of a long game.

He fled together with another cultist. They found their way to the planes, and took a portal to Pandemonium, because they had heard that their faith has a stronghold there.

His fellow cultist bore a great treasure of the cult, a magical set of cards known as a Deck of Many Things. Drawing these cards might bring great benefits, but is equally likely to bring death and doom.

Before they got very far, they were attacked by chaos beasts. The cultist bearing the cards fell to them, and in panic, the remaining cultist fled back through the portal.

I know the location of this portal and how to use it. The cards should not be far from the portal, on the other side. Find them and bring them to me. As for the beasts, they don't tend to stay in one place and would have no interest in cards, but who knows if similar beasts or other creatures might be in that area.

As for the cultist himself, he can be of no further assistance, as shortly after divulging the information to me, he had a most unfortunate run-in with a trio of vrocks."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Dannos has some serious doubts about the Rule's story, especially about the inconvenient ending for the cultist to a trio of Vrocks, but he keeps it to himself for now.
    Looking at Adamant and Avakuss he says 'Well, if we are going to get on with it, let's get on our way, eh?" before turning to Rule with a smile on his face. "Any other bits of information that will help with our success? Any bits of equipment that would be helpful that you might want to put in our hands now, now that wee are a resource of yours and its in everyone's best interest if we're successful..." he says, leaving that last bit trailing off.

Spoiler
    Show

So, a person at work it off for at least 2 weeks suspected of Covid and I'm there back up, so my posting might be a bit behind for at least a couple of weeks.
    Sorry in advance.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

'Rule' replies "Since the item I seek is quite valuable, I'm willing to provide you with three bits of magical equipment to help insure your success.

First, a wand of restoration, partially charged. Joel should be able to use it. Should you suffer transformation from a chaos beast, it should reverse the effect.

Second, a so-called Cornucopia of the Needful. I suspect that at least one of you may be able to use it. If so, it produces a fruit one a day, that may have some protective or healing powers.

Third, a Diamondskin Decanter. It can pour three drinks a day, which can toughen your skin for up to an hour.

Is that acceptable?"

19. - Top - End - #109

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant sighs. "We, I think, will need to attend to our business first, not second. While I understand that retrieving the cards may become more difficult, with time, it seems less risky than the results of Joel. What were the cultists trying to accomplish?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

'Rule' frowns. "What assurance do I have that you will return soon and follow through on the deal? Retrieving the cards should not take very long, so it should be done first. As for me holding up my end, I am not going anywhere, while you very much are. My reputation is more valuable to me than even the cards.

As for the cultists, I don't know the details, just that they believed their god would dominate the Prime."

OOC: Make a Diplomacy check.

21. - Top - End - #111

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant just looks at Rule, and looks to his companions. (1d20-1)[2] Diplo.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

22. - Top - End - #112

Avakuss minutely sways his head to either side considering Adamant's and Dannos' points. "If the item may get picked up and carried away I'd rather snatch it while it's easier. I'm sure it won't be easy either way." He turns back to their host. "Thanks for the items. Pandemonium. What can you tell us about surviving while there?"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The 'gith' replies "Pandemonium can be unpredictable and harsh, but it's a bit predictable, as well.

It's basically an infinite underworld of caverns inside solid rock. No light, of course, but forget torches. On the Prime there'd be stagnant air, but not there. The winds are fierce and its howls can drive men mad. You might as well be deaf with all that noise, and if you can arrange that, it'd be safer. Loose flying rocks can be a bit of a danger, too.

And if you get lost, if might be for the best that there's no naturally occurring food there. Slaadi and tanar'ri don't need food, of course, and they're the most numerous residents. If you meet any, expect 'em to be hungry.

Even so, there are a few towns and forts in the larger caverns. Deeper layers have smaller caves.

If you see water, avoid it. It's the stuff that feeds the Styx. Touching it should be safe, but not drinking.

The specifics I got from the cultist are that the portal leads to a tunnel. From there, a side passage branches off into a cave. The wind is less in the cave, making it a fairly safe rest stop, except that they ran into the monsters there. The cards are in there, and if not, they are lost.

The good news is that you shouldn't have to travel far from the gate to get to the cave. A few hundred feet at the most, I'd say. The cultist's story wouldn't make sense otherwise."

He pulls a locked chest out from under the bed, unlocks it, and fishes out some items. He hands a wand to Joel. The warlock examines it and says "Thanks."

To Avakuss he gives a glittering pitcher wrought of platinum worked into the shape of dragon scales. "Pour the oil it produces over the skin to toughen it. Don't drink."

To Dannos he gives a conical basket is woven from the bark of various trees. Attached to it with a
    bit of dried grapevine is a clay medallion bearing a horn-of-plenty symbol.

He sighs, and fishing in the chest again, he draws forth four pairs of cork ear plugs, which he hands to Adamant.

Spoiler: ear plugs
    Show
    -5 to Listen checks, +2 on saves against effects that require hearing

'Rule' puts the chest away, opens the door, and says "Follow me."

OOC: Gate time? Any preparations?

24. - Top - End - #114

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant takes the ear plugs, and holds onto them.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Does Adamant know anything relevant about Pandemonium? Common Foes, common risks, things like that?
    (1d20+20)[25] Know: Planes
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #115

Avakuss gives a nod of thanks and respect to Rule of Three while accepting the decanter. "Good... good. Information to work off of. Questions is how many beasts are there? We'll need a few moments right before using the gate. Should we see what is in the basket now so we can add it to our plan?

Spoiler: Preparations
    Show
    Use Basket? (in case it comes up Heroes Feast and we need time to eat unless the relic bypasses the eating time?)

Just before the gate:
    Darkvision 3PP
    Claws of the Beast 11PP
    Use Decanter? 1 portion on each of the others since i can use Vigor for temp hp)

Once we're across:
    Dannos scouting invisibly?

Before Assasult
    Expansion (Large or Huge?)
    Vigor
    Force Shield (Dorje)

What do we know of Joel's abilities beyond UMD and blasts?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Dannos bows his head as he accepts the basket. "I have no means to see in the dark. I may have to run down and pick something up to make due for now." Dannos says, abashed.

Spoiler
    Show

Dannos already has Raptor's Sight and Primal Speed up. None of his other spells have enough duration except Camouflage, Tremorsense, and Tojanida Sight, which he'll use just before popping through.
    Before crossing over, he will turn invisible.

I think we should use the basket before the trip. Should we also use the decanter?

Dannos
    HP - 99 Current 99
    AC - 20 Current 20/T13/FF18

Kn: The Planes to gain any insights on what we might fight and how to deal with them
    (1d20+11)[26]

Cornucopia of the Needful when we decide to use it.
    (1d100)[2]

Effects~
    Invisibility : At-will; If you are invisible, you gain a +40 bonus on Hide checks if you are immobile, or a +20 bonus on Hide checks if you’re moving.
    Nemesis(BE 44) (Arcanists) : Detect presence of favored enemies.
    Raptor's Sight (4 hours)- You gain a +5 competence bonus on Spot checks. If you have 5 or more ranks in Spot, you take only half the normal range increment penalty for ranged attacks (-1 per range increment instead of -2).
    Primal Speed (24 hours) - You gain a +5 resistance bonus on Reflex saves and a +10-foot enhancement bonus to all your speeds.
    Tremorsense (40 minutes) - You can automatically pinpoint the location of any object or creature within 30 feet that is in contact with the ground.
    Tojanida Sight (40 minutes) - You gain all-around vision, allowing you to see in any direction. You gain a +4 bonus on Spot and Search checks, and you cannot be flanked for the duration of the spell.
    Camouflage (40 minutes) - This effect grants you a +10 circumstance bonus on Hide checks.

27. - Top - End - #117

Avakuss addresses Dannos' light concern. "I have a necklace that gives off light. That would give you away though if you were trying to scout ahead. I also have one potion of Darkvision. It may be good for you to grab something."

Show
    Cornucopia roll = Apple = Heal spell!
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant frowns at Dannos's problem, quickly running through his tools, and coming up short with his own resources, but as Avakuss mentions his necklace, Adamant speaks up. "I could carry the light, which might give you a chance to surprise something. Stealth isn't something I do. We're likely to encounter oozes or howler dragons, so acid or sonic protection would be good."

While he speaks, he passes the earplugs out, before putting his sword down, and triggering his ring again, his armor turning into a fluffy pink bathrobe once more.

Then, he starts chanting, casting four spells to prepare.

Show

Casting Heart of Earth(13 hours), Keen Edge(On his greatsword)(130 minutes), Dragonskin(Black)(130 minutes), and Resist Energy(Sonic)(130 minutes.)

After he finishes, his ring flares again, and his armor appears around him again, and he returns his sword to his back.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2020-08-16 at 04:05 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #119

At the gate Avakuss manifests several powers. He uses the decanter on the other three then puts it away, its magic used for the day. Just before the gate is activated he puts in the earplugs then nods his readiness.

Show
    Darkvision 3PP 12 hours
    Claws of the Beast 11PP 12 hours
    Energy Adaptation (resistance 20 against any attack that deals acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic damage) 7PP 2 hours
    29PP remaining
    91/111hp
    AC25

Diamondskin Decanter: the other 3 get DR 2/adamantine for 1 hour or until 20 damage is prevented.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

As you pass the crowd downstairs, many of the diverse patrons eye the group with curiosity.

Outside, Rule of Three leads the way through the streets of the Lower Ward. Most residents mind their own business, and none challenge the group. More annoying is the sulfurous smog that suffuses the place, stinging eyes and scratching throats. You pass a group of stone statues, and can't help feeling that they are watching you.

Entering a dark alley, you see that it comes to a dead end. A drunken ogre eyes you sleepily. "Begone!" Rule tells him. For a moment it looks like the ogre might try to put up a fight as he grabs his huge greatclub, but looking at the group, he thinks better of it and leaves the alley without saying a word.

Rule hands Adamant a black metal triangle, three inches across, with an inverted "Y" inlaid in copper. "The gate key. As luck had it, I found it on the remains of the cultist. You will need it to return."

When Adamant approaches the end of the alley with it, a circular portal of darkness springs open, from which a loud blast of wind pours forth.

(ooc: Assuming that Adamant has distributed the earplugs) Joel uses the earplugs to plug his ears.

After making your final preparations, the group - sans Rule - walks through the portal.

The wind is fierce and howls loudly, maddeningly. You find yourselves in a rough stone tunnel about 30' in diameter.

The howling suddenly grows louder ...

OOC:

Everyone make a Will save (DC 15; ear plugs give a +2 bonus) or be confused (as spell) for 1d4+1 rounds. Joel made his save.

The next decision: Go upwind or downwind?