New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Planescape: Full Circle - IC

Rule of Three takes the offered bag. He opens it up and rummages around a bit. What else might be in there? You may never know ...

He pulls out a leather pouch. Inside is a stack of cards made of calfskin parchment.

"This looks like it. It remains to be seen if this is really what the cultist thought. Do any of you wish to give it a try?"

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

"I do not. That is why I handed the pack to you, to avoid it and assure you we have not messed with it. I would like the rest of the pack back."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

After considering for a few moments, Adamant shrugs. "I'll draw one."
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Dannos' bushy brows arch up as Adamant takes Three's offer. Taking a deep breath and shrugging his shoulders, he says "Sure..." obvious hesitation in his voice as he move forward and, with a trembling hand, reaches out to the deck.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Rule of Three says "If you wanted the bag, you shouldn't have given it away."

"Don't be an ass, Rule. And while I am a gambling man, we can't afford to take this risk now. What about introducing us to our guide?" Joel tells him.

Rule replies "Part of me is an ass, but any humanoid could say the same. You lot look like you can use some rest and healing, while I will get the person I spoke of to guide you. And fair's fair, so I too will draw a card. The third card that we will draw."

He holds out the deck to Adamant and then Dannos, allowing each to draw one of the smooth vellum cards.

Adamant draws a card with a Jester painted onto it.

Spoiler: Adamant
    Show
    Gain 10,000 xp immediately or draw 2 more cards. If you choose the xp, then level up effective immediately.

Dannos draws a card with golden Sun painted onto it.

Spoiler: Dannos
    Show
    Gain enough xp to gain a level and put you just short of the next. Level up effective immediately. You also notice that you seem to have a new scabbard, fashioned from cured leather and fine silver. You somehow know that this is a scabbard of keen edges.

Rule then draws a card as well. It is painted with a man wearing a turban and a fine outfit. "Very interesting!" he then declares for no apparent reason. "Let's go. See you tomorrow morning at the Oarsman?"

6. - Top - End - #186

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant feels power flow into him as the card flashes into nothingness, but otherwise, doesn't react.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Dannos, in a strange mixture of dread and anticipation, stands ready for anything. As the scabbard appears on his side, he feels a surge of... energy? Knowledge? Something unusual to say the least.
    Looking at Joel and the others he asks "Joel? Does this work for you?"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Dannos' and Rules' cards have vanished; however, Adamant's Jester card remains, now a souvenir.

Joel says "We have no time to waste, but under the circumstances, it'll have to do. Rest and healing should help, if we can find a safe place."

He spends a charge from the wand to remove the negative levels from Adamant, and uses the remaining charges from his healing belt to heal himself (2d8)[6] and Adamant (2d8)[9]. (Assuming that Avakuss will get the healing apple.)

9. - Top - End - #189

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant shrugs as his card, and only his card survives, and puts it away, into a pouch.

At Joel's words, Adamant looks around for an inn in the area.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

10. - Top - End - #190

Avakuss did not know the particular cards of the deck, but knew that the range of effects covered the gamut of wonderful to disastrous. He was thankful that none of the three draws ended up poorly, at least from what he could tell. Rule of Three's rule of three worked out, this time at least.

The goliath nods in agreeing to find a place. This was not the place for the group to discuss the day's events.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Once Rule of Three takes his leave, Joel tells his friends "I know a place not too far, that should do. The Black Sail Tavern."

Dark foundries and smithies belch forth grey smog and caustic steam. The Black Sail stands in the shadow of the Armory, the former Doomguard headquarters, at the end of an alley between two armorworks.

Fused to the tavern is the hull of an ancient galleon. A soot-stained sail hangs above the ship's gargoyleish figurehead. Inside the ill-kept establishment, beneath a ribcage of dark rafters, is a dim common room lined with curtained alcoves.

The tavern's sordid patrons congregate at tables placed in the middle of the room, while muffled voices can be heard behind the thick curtains which enclose the alcoves. The local riff-raff pays little attention to your arrival, and a serving maid pretends to ignore you. You might have mistaken her for an elf were it not for the small black horns protruding from her copper-tinged forehead.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Finding a table that is further away from the groups that will handle the four of them, Dannos moves and signals that they want a drink to the barkeep.
    "Well, this is about your speed, I suppose." the half-giant says to Joel as he scans the room to make sure no one is near and keeping an eye on anyone coming towards them, like the last time they met Joel in a tavern. "Alright, we did what Three wanted. Will he live up to his end of the bargain? And, where do we spend the night to rest that's safe? This place?" he asks as he looks around again, not really trusting what he sees.

13. - Top - End - #193

GreenSorcererElf

As Dannos selects a table, Adamant takes a seat, silently watching Joel while he waits.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Joel tells the tiefling serving maid "Salja, we'll take a private alcove, please."

She leads the way to one of the curtained alcoves and opens the curtain. Inside is a table and chairs. The place is dimly lit, with a small oil lamp hanging from the ceiling.

Once the party is seated, Joel motions for the woman to close the curtain. Once she does he says "Salja, we'll want the lined room. Is it available?"

Salja replies "In trouble again, are you? I can make it available ... for twenty five jink." She winks at him.

Sighing, Joel pulls out the gold, and hands it to her. "I also want a steak and an ale."

Salja takes any other food and drink orders you place, then leaves the alcove.

Once she goes Joel tells you "It's scrying by the rakshasa that I fear, and a lead lining blocks it. This place has such a room, though as you see it's not cheap if you ask specifically for that room. It should protect us, but the spellcaster will know what blocked the spell. That alone might help him narrow down our location, since there are only a few such rooms in the city, so it's certainly not a long term solution. Of course, if you don't know the dark of it, it's not that easy to find the chant on who has such rooms. We should still sleep in shifts, of course.

As for Rule of Three, I think he'll do as he said. Not that he can be trusted, but he does have a reputation as a reliable information source, known throughout the city. What I fear is more that he will leave out important information. For example, this guide of his might take us to Baator, but lead us straight into a trap there."

15. - Top - End - #195

Avakuss steps into the alcove and unsheathes his greatsword and greataxe since they don't make for comfortable sitting. He leans them against the wall next to his chair in easy reach. As for actually sitting it's done gently since he still has a number of puncture and slash wounds.

"Yes well you might have given us a bit more warning of his ways. Who knows what might have been in that pack. Sorry about that. If that's the way Rule is, then if this is a trap and we escape he'll need to ensure we never show up again to sow doubt on his reputation. We need to make better terms with him to protect ourselves."

"Two other things we need. First, information about Baator. What do we need to survive there? Earplugs helped for today but what about tomorrow?"

"Second, we need to be smarter before charging into the unknown. I needed time to prepare and we needed to give Dannos time to scout. We were close to not being a group of four here tonight. Speaking of which Dannos, are you going to eat that apple? If not it is looking tasty to me and will help me for tomorrow."

"Joel, we have time now. Tell us more about your trip to Baator. How you got there, the path, what you faced. The rakshasa would have to follow us through the gate to come after us or to alert others there right? We could use that to our advantage. Lay our own trap if it's needed. Better to fight them outside the cage."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196

GreenSorcererElf

Following to the private room, Adamant sits and listens as Joel and Avakuss talk, and Joel expresses his worry about scrying. "I'm sure there's a spell to block scrying; If we could find it, I can cast it. If not, I can try detecting scrying before we discuss anything sensitive."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Joel replies "I mentioned that Three's a fiend, right? Not a bad one as far as they go, but that's not very far.

Now tieflings, are a bit more promising. Salja's from Ribcage, you know."
    He trails off there, and knowing him, it's likely that there's a bit of personal history there that he just decided he'd rather not get into.

He continues "Anyway, Baator. We took a gate from Sigil, of which there are many in the Lower Ward, if you know where to find them. The spellslinger then teleported us; he'd been there before, just not with proper companions for exploring it. So I know what the place looks like, Mount Tannaj, but not how to get there.

I'm pretty sure it's on Avernus though, which is the top layer of Baator, if you will. A vast desert, dotted with volcanos, and sometimes fireballs just appear in the air. That's what Avernus is known for, and that's how the place looked. It's the easiest layer to get to, resulting in Blood War battlefields, but the place we're going to is too isolated for that.

Dangers: Fire from the environment, but we can probably just steer clear of that. Fiends are a bigger worry, and Avernus has all kinds. Mainly Baatezu of course, but others come for war or trade.

When I was there, we didn't meet any fiends, besides the three that brought me of course. The prison is built into the side of a hill next to the volcano. There's a tunnel that leads into it, carved out by what I don't know. Deeper inside, a large room with glyphs with standard warnings for a treasure hunter, doom and gloom and so on. That just means that something valuable or important is there, which I expected.

The seal itself is on the floor of that room and ringed with glyphs. That's what I need to work on. I saw archways to other large rooms, but didn't explore those. As I said, I heard something big coming and took off.

Adamant, if you could block scrying, that'd be great. I'm no expert on that.

Avakuss, what do you mean by lay our own trap?"

18. - Top - End - #198

"By trap I meant ambush on the other side of the gate. Better to fight them on our terms. Not an option if there are multiple gates. They could use another gate and teleport ahead of us. Be nice if we could teleport too. A scroll or two? I can make myself resistant to fire when needed."
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

As Dannos reaches in his pack and takes out the fruit before handing it to Avakuss, he says "Yes, a bit of forethought and stealth will keep us healthy and whole, I imagine. While I can turn invisible, it is by no means impenetrable. I imagine some denizens of Avernus will see through it, so I need to use both magical and mundane talents. Maybe best if we move in steps, though the realm of Pandemonium was hostile from the beginning, but that was not wholly unexpected, it may not prove to be the same on Baator. Just everything try to kill us and swallow our souls. Need to pace ourselves as best we can, but be as quick as we can... seem incongruous, but that is what we need to do. Too fast, and we risk being spotted and overrun. Too slow, and we risk running out of resources... and being overrun."

20. - Top - End - #200

Avakuss nods in agreement and in thanks. "I mean be wise about it. Be aware of when a pause would be the smart thing to do. Just before entering the cave would have been good, even just briefly." He eats the apple. His wounds go away, leaving a smile on the goliath's face. "Who still needs some healing? I still have a gem left on my healing belt and don't want it to go to waste.

Healing: (2d8)[4]
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant shakes his head, slowly. "If we can trap them, great. But if they're only interested in the prison, we'd need to find them to trap them. That said, I can cast teleport, provided we have a destination."
    He pauses for a moment, clearly thinking something through, before he speaks again. "Do they have any other enemies? Someone with an interest in keeping the prisoner imprisoned?"
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2020-09-10 at 08:28 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Dannos nods at Adamant's question. "Yeah... someone put that thing in the prison in the first place, right?"

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Joel hesitates. "Like I mentioned before, I felt some kind of connection when I was there.

I think the Baatezu built the prison. This guy was known as the 'Mad Rajah' and maybe they saw him as too chaotic, my guess. Whether they still care to keep in in there, now that much has changed, I don't know. Maybe they could have killed him, but planned to let him out someday? Asking them for help seems like a risk, and probably they would take time we don't have to decide what to do.

The celestials might want to help, but if they send forces to Baator, they'd be risking war.

Also ... like I said, knowing about this guy is dangerous. From what I got, the more you know about him, the more he knows about you. If ... well, if he gets out, he'll know exactly who tried to stop it. Sorry.

Well, if we need gear, maybe I could sell my mace for a thousand or so. I hate to, but it's mostly for show anyway."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Dannos hems and haws to himself for a few moments before shaking his head. Irritation is plainly evident on his face when Joel mentions just knowing this Mad Rajah means he knows about him.
    "Maybe keep it for now? Besides what we already spoke about, I'm unsure what other gear we might need. Holy or demon-slayin weapons might be great, but stealthy, in and out before the demons knows we were even there, has a much better chance for us."

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge:The Planes to see if he has heard of the Mad Rajah
    (1d20+11)[28]

And/or Cloistered Cleric Lore
    (1d20+7)[11]

25. - Top - End - #205

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant frowns thoughtfully once more, as Joel's description of the prison sparks an idea. His words come slowly, and thoughtfully as he explains. "Joel, how well could you provide an image of the place? I might be able to teleport us there, and cut back on the travel time."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

26. - Top - End - #206

"I agree with getting in out before we're found. Asking for help from the locals there will just make for more trouble. We have a guide. If the guide double crosses us later we'll need to save a teleport to get back to the gate, as well as have the gate key. Joel should keep his weapon just in case. The greataxe here was for show. Adamant- I was going to wait until we got to the room, would you ID the axe please? Unless it's exceptional we can sell it and use it any scrolls."

"It may be too late, but Joel at least should hide his identity when we are out and about just in case."

"Speaking of double cross, what was it exactly Rule said? A guide to get us there... but to where? Just to Baator or all the way to the prison and back?"
    Avakuss shakes his head in disappointment with himself.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207

GreenSorcererElf

Adamant nods, and takes the proffered axe, and places it on the table in front of him, before pulling out an eyepiece, and placing it there as well. Then, in his pink fluffy robes, he chants briefly, before starting to peer at the axe through the monocle.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Using his Aritificer's Monocle to identify.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Joel says "I don't think I could draw it that well. If I could use a scroll, maybe I could visualize it well enough. There could be other places in Baator that look similar, since volcanoes are common there, so teleport without enough of a picture is a risk."

As Adamant scrutinizes the axe from the skeleton, he realizes that it is simply a masterwork cold iron greataxe with no magical enchantments.

29. - Top - End - #209

GreenSorcererElf

As Adamant looks up from the greataxe, the monocle and robes are abruptly replaced by armor once more as he shakes his head. "Not magical. Disguise Joel, scroll shopping, and resting. I'll prepare a teleport."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

30. - Top - End - #210

Avakuss looks at the non-magical cold-iron greataxe. "It could prove useful against the right kind of enemy, but if you need to sell it then take it. After we eat I'll hang with Joel in the room and you two can shop. No need to expose him more than needed."
    Show