New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Thief Stuff

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Thief Stuff

Is there a list of all the items a thief can use with their bonus action (and by that I mean stuff that has a tangible use at all, not like stuff I'd have to improve with), or am I just going to have to comb through all the stuff in the game myself?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Thief Stuff

Pretty much anything under adventuring gear is fair game with the exception of healing potions. The healer feat supplements the action already available for the healing kit as well. There is a few class features that provide items that can be used with it such as the spell soaring item.

What can't be used with fast hands are magical items which have their own special action.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Draw two weapons on a turn
    Pull an extra item out of your backpack
    two environmental object interactions on a turn
    use a healing kit on someone
    Drop caltrops
    Drop ballbearings
    Apply poison to weapons
    Light a torch
    Raise or lower the hood of a hooded lantern
    Drinking a healing potion (This one is up for debate still I believe)
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Acid, alchemist's fire, and oil can all be used with fast hands. You can also apply a poison to a weapon or attack with an inhaled poison.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reverse pickpocket can be fun. Coat the handle of their weapon with contact poison, plant a scorpion on them, put lit explosives in their back pocket.

You can also use fast hands to mess with people - tie their shoe laces together, douse them in oil (+5 damage whenever they take fire damage), swap their healing potions with acid, attach a manacle to their hand or foot, steal their arrows/arcane focus/component pouch, set a trap (hunter's trap, caltrops, grease trap). Lot's of fun stuff.

6. - Top - End - #6

Put simply:

Any item that requires use of an Action, or has a use for an Action (such as a shield, as stated below)
    Any item that requires use of an Object Interaction.

Magic items are exempt from this, because they do not use the Use an Object Action (and instead are "Activated" with your Action). This includes wands and potions.

Yes, you heard me. You cannot use Fast Hands with a Potion: DMG p.141

It is ambiguous as to whether throwing a flask is considered part of the Attack Action or not, but the general idea is that, if a flask:
    • Can be thrown as part of the Attack Action, you cannot use Fast Hands with it.
    • Requires an Action for anyone to throw it, you can use Fast Hands with it (assuming it's not a magic item).

One's a buff for martial diversity but a nerf for the thief, and the other is the opposite, so choose wisely.

Just to be clear, these are RAW, and I'm of the opinion that anything should be able to be done with the Thief's Bonus Action, as anything they could do is inherently throttled by the DM (as any items, environmental effects, or most consequences are all filtered through the DM, since there are so few rules to do anything in 5e...).

Personally, the best use of a Thief I've seen isn't with the standard gear, but with the environment and goal-swapping. You can run over and untie the hostage, pick up the McGuffin, and break the unholy ritual all in the same turn. Someone else has the key item in their pack? Run over and grab it! Anything that requires a specific item, skill check, person, etc. in combat that isn't solved with brute force is made insanely easy with a Thief. Given, those kinds of scenarios can be rare for some tables, so YMMV.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-07-09 at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Don/doff shield. See sage advice: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/12/24...-don-a-shield/

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by tatsuyashiba View Post
    Rogues don't get shield proficiency tho? I mean I guess I could.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elyktsorb View Post
    Rogues don't get shield proficiency tho? I mean I guess I could.
    A single level into Fighter, Cleric, Ranger, or Hexblade will take case of that for you though. One level into fighter it pretty amazing for the rogue.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

To note, as was pointed out to him in other places, that ruling is completely wrong.

Donning and Doffing a shield is an action all on it's own, not an object interaction.
    Donning armor/shield is donning armor action.
    It is NOT interact with an object.

JC just refuses to admit he is wrong despite having the exact phrase in the book shown to him.

Also you can't throw alchemical items at an enemy with it either, that is making an attack.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    To note, as was pointed out to him in other places, that ruling is completely wrong.
    Interesting. Can you post a link?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Yup. Works for the same reason Acid and Alchemists Fire does.

13. - Top - End - #13

Just for everyone's sanity:

Player's Handbook, page 193:
    "When an object requires your action for its use, you take the Use an Object action."

Dungeon Master's Guide, page 141:
    "If an item requires an action to activate, that action isn't a function of the Use an Object action, so a feature such as the rogue's Fast Hands can't be used to activate the item."

The key word here is "Activate", which is also in the DMG on the same page, and is specific to magical items (and it explicitly includes drinking a potion).

So the only reason you couldn't use Fast Hands on an item was if:
    • Your DM says you're not using the Use an Object Action (which may be the case if he considers throwing a flask the same as throwing an improvised weapon with the Attack Action).
    • The item in question is magical.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Just for everyone's sanity:

Player's Handbook, page 193:
    "When an object requires your action for its use, you take the Use an Object action."

Dungeon Master's Guide, page 141:
    "If an item requires an action to activate, that action isn't a function of the Use an Object action, so a feature such as the rogue's Fast Hands can't be used to activate the item."

The key word here is "Activate", which is also in the DMG on the same page, and is specific to magical items (and it explicitly includes drinking a potion).

• Your DM says you're not using the Use an Object Action (which may be the case if he considers throwing a flask the same as throwing an improvised weapon with the Attack Action).
    • The item in question is magical.
    Same with donning and doffing.

Putting it on and taking it off are not using an object, the action is just a list of how long it takes to be done. There is no “using armor” to put it on, it takes X amount of time.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    Same with donning and doffing.

Putting it on and taking it off are not using an object, the action is just a list of how long it takes to be done. There is no “using armor” to put it on, it takes X amount of time.
    To be honest, it's a pretty thin line between:
    • Use an Object Action is any use of an Action that's defined by that item (***)
    • Use an Object Action is any use of an Action to utilize an item (***).

***: when the item is neither magical or used for an attack.

It's so thin of a line that it took me a good 5 minutes to figure out how to write out those differences in a way that made sense.

More importantly, though...why not? Not only does it make the rules a lot simpler (Now an UaOA is "Any Action" rather than "Any Defined Action", which is basically the difference between "Improv" and "Premade mechanics made by the DM/book"), but it also helps the Thief (an otherwise unpopular Rogue subclass). Everything gets better, at least that's what it seems to me.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-07-09 at 04:37 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Alright, but in that case they better let me throw two flasks if I have Extra Attack or I'll be throwing two flasks at them IRL. :P