New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Discord of the Abyss - Prisoners

As the chasme opens its mouth to perform a strike against Phoyx, bits of its brain and scattered flesh and bone fly out of its mouth instead. As its weakened form slumps over Prince Derendil and Ront shove it through the hole in the webbing opened up by Phoyx.

As the exhilaration of the fight washes over you, there's a feeling of greater might and capability in all of you.

Well, says Prince Derendil, as the blood in his eyes recede, I think we handled that fight well. We all deserve a drink for that.

Spoiler: XP!
    Show

If you have not already, please set your character sheet to XP advancement (instead of milestones).

Each of you gain 671 XP, which should be enough to bring you well into 2nd level!

GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

"Vile creature..."
    Uonyil practically spits at the thing's corpse, then moves to Sarith as quickly as she is able. She focuses on her wounds and wills them to mend in attempt to bring her downed comrade back to wakefulness.
    Last edited by Anachronity; 2020-08-27 at 11:05 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

As Sarith coughs blood, certain he's breathing his last ragged breath, looks at Uonyil with a tear in his eye. The hole in his chest heals and he grabs at his blood-soaked vest and shirt and pulls on her hand to get her help to stand. He wipes away his tears, and looks about him and mutters, "I...thought I was a goner. His voice, usually drained of emotion, seems almost hopeful.

Eldeth and Ront look at each other, and after a brief stare at each other, say nothing. Their faces twitch, but neither scowls at the other. They both ask to look at Antler's looted armor, and the two of them pick out a shield and a chain shirt each, and oddly enough they help each other don the pieces. Shuushar, the noncombatant Kuo-toa, asks for a shield, too, and declares that although he won't fight or harm foes, he believes enough in the group that he can help protect them, too. I believe I was meant to end here with you for a purpose: to make sure you all reach safety. Antler, hand me one of those shields. I will help as best I can.

Each of these three--Eldeth, Ront and Shuushar--appear to be stronger and more confident now that they know they could even possibly survive.

Spoiler: Crunchy implications
    Show
    Eldeth has gained 1 level of Fighter; Ront, 1 level of Barbarian; Shuushar, 1 level of Cleric. They'll contribute more meaningfully to your fights, and perhaps in the future they can offer rewards beyond the normal scope that others can provide.

Prince Derendil, the quaggoth with lofty elven speech, asks of Antler, Where next, lockspringer? Up the tower or down to the waters below?

more

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Antler
    Warforged Ranger
    AC: 16 HP: 22/22
    PP: 14 PIv: 9 PIs: 14
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

"Up." Antler replies and then begins handing out the shields and armor. Though he doesn't immediately move to leave, instead looking around the room they entered just before the fight that they didn't have time to search yet.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-08-28 at 12:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95

ElfMonkGuy

With a scowl, Uonyil reluctantly follows the lifelike construct. She offers advice to no one in particular, or rather the group as a whole.
    We must not tarry here. Our goal, our only goal here is to gain supplies to weather the wilds. Take no risks, seek no revenge. We are better off far away from our captors."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Prince Derendil nods to Eldeth. "Perhaps you should join them upstairs, and the rest of us wait here. Stump, join them also. Mindlink with me, and let me know if our heroes need help.

Stump and Eldeth nod; The myconid and the dwarf hurry into the entrance of the stalactite as Antler takes a look around. The chamber contains cushions laid out across floor mats, a small carved table with two chairs, and a sturdy chest made of a fibrous, resilient wood grown from a zurkhwood mushroom-tree. The chest has several slots on its outside and a key-hole in its center; it is currently locked.

On the table, a pewter pitcher contains a small amount of alcohol; a pair of matched plain pewter goblets have the telltale residue of recent use.

The chest lies against a wall to which stairs lead upwards. You can hear the sounds of battle; they're a little quieter here than they are outside.

more

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Phoyx

I agree with the lady, we should leave, but we are safer here than out in the wilds of the underdark where not even the drow dare to tread. It is almost certain death to wonder out into the underdark though i rather die than remain enslaved.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Antler's search reveals that the chest is locked...but the means of its locking is beyond his current understanding. If he moves the chest at all, he hears a great and metallic jumble as if a large number of items were stashed inside.

The pewter cups look plain; they're functional but not even worth their weight in gold. The pitcher's alcohol smells sweet and pleasant.

more

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Antler
    Warforged Ranger

Deciding to leave the chest for later (to take on their way out), Antler goes up to the next room.

10. - Top - End - #100

ElfMonkGuy

Uonyil tends to any allies still incapacitated, trying to rouse them from the effects of the bug-creature's drone.

11. - Top - End - #101

Lizardfolk

Phoyx

Goes to help wake people up, poking them in the eye, quietly yelling Wake or die here.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Waking up with a start, Yarv looks up at Uonyil, quickly gathering his wits:
    "Ah, you have already repaid the favor, quite good. We are still escaping, yes?"
    He stands up and checks his things, picking up the crossbow he dropped and putting the bolt back where it is supposed to be. He gestures to the dead chasme's corpse: "Ghastly creatures those things, don't know why anyone would bother bringing them here."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Antler ascends the stairs into the next room. Opposite him, a rope ladder dangles at the opposite ends of this chamber. Although there is no way to see the fighting from this room, it's obviously closer, and comes from the same place the rope ladder leads to.

The walls are hung with black mesh resembling a spider’s web, extending from a central spot on the ceiling out to the walls, then draped down like curtains. Thick, woven mats cover the floor, while a low platform is covered with cushions and pillows to make a broad, divan-like bed. One side of the chamber contains a small table and two chairs, while the other holds a small shrine to Lolth, draped in white silk. A heavy chest of black-stained zurkhwood sits at the foot of the bed. It is deceptively square, and it gives off the faint pulse of magic from its otherwise standard form.

~~

Uonyil and Phoyx manage to rouse their companions made unconscious by the (now deceased) chasme's vibrations. Stump nods his head and forms a link with Eldeth before she joins Antler upstairs.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-09-08 at 02:16 PM.

more

14. - Top - End - #104

ElfMonkGuy

Uonyil waits anxiously at the bottom of the stairs, not following out of a hesitance to let the path to freedom leave her sight when she'd so recently had a taste of what enslavement by these vile elves would mean. The visceral smell of the insectoid's gray matter did little to ease her nerves.

15. - Top - End - #105

Lizardfolk

Phoyx
    Starts searching the demon corpse for treasure before it leaves this plane.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

The Chasme, with its dead and sagging body, remains here; maybe it's native to the Underdark. Its brains, spilled out over the broken web before it, erode the very web below it. As you search its body, you find a bolt of fine cloth, very much like silk, but certainly something more...exotic. The bolt is about 30 feet long, and wrapped around a simple plank of soft wood. The cloth clings to your skin, but doesn't to other bits of clothing. There's no time to search its body further, and as the webbing rips from the stress of the demon's weight, it plummets to the water below you, issuing a decent splash below you.

more

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Eldeth joins Antler in the room. She gives the room a cursory look and dismissively says, The mistress has a sense of taste, I'll give 'er that. Upon spotting the chest, her eyes go wide. See those studs Antler? They could contain traps. I would bet--this one time--against Buppido some of them contain poison traps. But if any chest has our old gear, it's gotta be this one, right?

Eldeth looks around the room for an object to help open the chest, and she spots one of the chairs in the room has a leg with a hairline fracture. She breaks the leg from the chair and pokes the chest several times. Several nasty-looking spines emerge from what don't even look like holes to hit the wooden leg. It runs faintly with some poisons.

Best I can do is help you in this endeavor. Think ya can open it?

Spoiler: Aid
    Show
    If Antler uses equipment to open the lock of Ilvara's chest, he does so at Advantage!

Eldeth, watching Antler appraise the items in the room, gives her evaluation to him. If you wish to really screw her over, let's pour some of that oil in Shoor's room onto the mats. This wool is very flammable. They won't notice until a good fire is going. Oh, hang on.

she pauses, as if a voice were talking in her head. Stump is sending up Ront. He's gonna take the statue and throw it at something in the water below.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-09-15 at 02:27 AM.

more

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Antler
    Warforged Ranger

Taking a thorough look around the room, Antler's main interest is the chest. He briefly considers try to have them make off with the shrine, but decides it would be too cumbersome and labor intense from the already exhausted group who are going to need to run carrying two chests anyway.

At Eldeth's words he nods, "Good ideas all I'm sure. I do not think we have time to open this chest and sort through its contents here and now. Let us just take this and the other one. Could you assist me? I'll handle the oil afterwards." While he is speaking he starts throwing the cushions and pillows down to those below and comments, "I have not seen much of comfort to sleep on in the Underdark."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Eldeth nods as Antler starts throwing the cushions. As she passes down the marble shrine to Ront, she tells him, "Trade ya for the massage oil on the table, Ront. We're gonna light this place up. The orc for once gives a chuckle, and Eldeth returns in a few moments from the stairs down with the massage oil. She places it on the ground and helps Antler with the chest. They carefully move it--and the broken chair leg, mind you--to the outside, and Ront balances the marble shrine with Shoor's chest.

She looks up at the Vrock and Chasme. They're quite the nuisance, aren't they? It seems that several Drow soldiers have died to their attacks, and several more remain unconscious. A few quaggoth still struggle with the Vrock who, understandably wary of them, nevertheless manage to hold them at bay. A few vrock, wrestled to the ground, feel the stabs of several drow swords before they can sweep their scythe-like claws through the gathered soldiers. The raging melee has even spread into the shrine above where Antler just looted the chests of Ilvara and Shoor.

Don't mind me, Ront says, and chucks the marble shrine down to the water below. There's a hearty splash into the water below.

Spoiler: Perception checks!
    Show
    Everyone is welcome to make a Perception check -- at advantage -- on the water below you!
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-09-15 at 03:01 AM.

more

20. - Top - End - #110

Lizardfolk

Phoyx

Seeing the demon splash down after it melted through the webbing. (1d20+2)[18] he notices a second splash.
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2020-09-17 at 05:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Phoyx curiously observes the fallen Chasme. It is odd that it hasn't phased away to another plane. Any residual thoughts are taken up by Ront, the half-orc, and his quick dash to the webbing and subsequent toss of a marble shrine down into the water.

A shimmering black creature pulses and throbs amid the water. As it tries to envelop the Chasme corpse, so too does the marble shrine fall into its amorphous flesh. Where it impacts, the altar burns its form, and it retreats from the altar a little too slowly as bits of its boundary fracture and break away. The altar disappears into the water. The ooze, too, slips under the water but you can track its movement by proxy of the chasme's sudden movement away from your point of impact.

We'll have company, says Ront. I don't like that. Whoever's idea it was to drop the chasme below...

Stump speaks up, startling the orc. Uonyil who killed it spilled the brains that eat the web.

You can speak? the orc asks, to which he receives a shrug. What is that thing? It looks like some sort of black..sentient slime.

Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-09-17 at 05:39 PM.

more

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

At not receiving an answer, Yarv makes a few throat clearing noises as he follows Uonyil, before trying again: "Ah, excuse me, how long was I out? Did we have a change of plans or is escape still the main goal?"
    Last edited by Tjallen; 2020-09-17 at 06:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

ElfMonkGuy

Less than a minute. We are looting supplies at the present moment, but I would very much like to get going. Hopefully Phoyx or I can carry us clear of the water where that ooze resides.

24. - Top - End - #114

Lizardfolk

Phoyx

Obviously thought the water was a safe retreat option looks visibly panicked, he looks for a non aquatic escape route.
    Spoiler: skill check
    Show
    spot check(1d20+2)[5]

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Ah, grand, and ooze? Sounds dangerous, any alternate routes? My vision seems to be a bit blurry still." The elf says while absentmindedly rubbing his eyes.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Ront points to the chasme's corpse. "See how it moves against the flow of water from the waterfall and its exit to the north? That ooze pushes it. Let's have Phoyx here--" he slaps the Vedalken who looks in vein for the other exits from this prison--"glide some of us down just a little slower. Antler, were there sheets inside? Anything strong like silk that one or two of us could use?" He pointedly avoids asking Eldeth; the dwarven woman frowns and adjusts her belt.

She, like Ront and Shuushar, seems to stand just a little straighter. She holds her new shield and the slightly curved shortsword, looted from the drow's armory; she cuts the acid-splatteted webbing from the chasme's vacated space, which prevents any more of it from burning away from the acid. We should leave soon, Antler. I know you have a special feeling against them for those experiments they performed on you, but just make your tasks quick. That fight won't last forever. It's been...what? A few minutes since we escaped? Let's press on before our luck wears thin.

One of the giant spiders finally responds to the webs' disturbance and descends from the battlefield above to land on the webbing not too far from all of you. We'll hold it off, Antler. Go wreak your vengeance how you see fit. The spider takes its time and lazily steps towards the party and attacks Shuushar, who wields only a shield against the large creature's attack. Despite the attention, he mutters a prayer that gives a blessing to others nearby.

Spoiler: Combat!
    Show
    Giant Spider attacks Shuushar (miss).
    Shuushar casts BLESS on Phoyx, Yarv, and Uonyil, all of whom are within 30' of the Spider.

Stump shies away from the action and moves to place Antler between himself and the action.

more

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Antler
    Warforged Ranger

Antler's unemotive face nor his rather unemotive voice portray a particular emotion at Eldeth's words, but instead of charging by himself into a room with the drow and alerting them their captors to their presence he instead takes the oil and begins splashing it around the ceiling and walls. Avoiding getting any on anyone or the things they're taking with them.

As for the sheets, he points over to the sheets he tossed down earlier.

28. - Top - End - #118

Lizardfolk

Phoyx

Having a distraction from his worries he charges at his new foe.
    Spoiler: attack
    Show
    short sword(1d20+5)[18]damage(1d6+3)[6]
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2020-10-19 at 04:51 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119

ElfMonkGuy

Uonyil grumbles about things taking too long, and launches an assault against the thing's primitive mind.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    Mind Thrust for (1d10)[1] psychic damage; DC 13 negates
    move to keep distance between her and it, but careful not to separate her from the group.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

The spider tries to pry Shuushar's shield from his hands. Phoyx handily stabs the spider just as it starts to get around his guard, and then comes Uonyil's assault. Although she was sure she dealt a pittance of psychic damage, the spider recoils from her as if she was a hot brand. Ront and Eldeth both take a glance at each other, nod, and with their own shields they charge the spider and attempt to push it into the wide hole created by the former chasme. Shuushar joins them, too, and the spider reacts almost too late to get a bite in.

Spoiler: rolls!
    Show
    Shuushar AIDS both Ront and Eldeth (grants Advantage to both)

They make Str checks! (2d20b1)[11]+4
    (2d20b1)[17]+4

Spider attacks Ront (1d20+5)[24]

[Roll]1d20+[/roll]

Ront groans "Not again" as he feels venom spread from his elbow where it bit. He says, but Eldeth and Shuushar manage to overpower the spider, and it scrabbles downwards into the hole.

Taken by surprise, it only narrowly spins some spider webbing to slow its descent.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-10-22 at 11:04 AM.

more