New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Portal to D&D IC - Thundercracker

You're already on the Discord server, so I added you to the channel for this game, if you'd like to join us.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Player Name: Jerry Ackerton
    Character Name: Ferinor Veriax

Jerry was part of the marketing team for the launch of the MMO, director of marketing for North America. A new EVP, Carl Jesson, was brought in above him, and Jerry found himself not really agreeing with many of the decisions made. As the deadline of the launch approached, the work schedule became absolutely insane, and Jerry regularly logged 80-100 hour weeks. Just prior to launch day, which promised to be a rocking success, as celebrations were planned for the following week, he was let go from the company by Carl, who took credit for all Jerry's hard work. Luckily, he received a decent package as he'd spent over twenty years with the firm. With the time he now had, he threw it into playing an advance copy of the game he'd received from a friend in development, Mark Abang, one with some hidden, inactive functionality. The game was one of the only ways he had to stay in contact with his two teenaged children, Robert and Heather, who his wife, Maria, gained full custody over in the divorce. Little did she know they spent much of their lives in the game, and Jerry was able to keep in touch with them through it, unbeknownst to her, as they went on adventures together for hours on end.

His character, Ferinor Veriax, a human, started off as a scout so Jerry could gain early access to skills for getting into places in the game only accessible by picking locks or sneaking about. Later on, he branched into the ranger, and then dervish classes to take advantage of a minor exploit in the game. He ended up joining the Crimson Daggers, a city based guild originally started as a thieves' guild but then expanding to accept all classes. Despite getting on in years, the time he could put into the game, and his previous corporate experience and the state of the art VR equipment he could afford meant Ferinor was near the top of the rankings for his class.

Unfortunately, one day an update was patched into the game automatically and interfered badly with the 'extra' functionality from his 'special' copy of the game. Jerry started fiddling around with the software to try and disable the extra functionality which, apparently, didn't do anything anyway, and somehow ended up starting over at level 0.... he tried to log off to fiddle with the software again, but found he was unable to, no matter what he tried. Even the emergency support line was disabled...

Everything around you begins to move in starts and jerks, as if you're experiencing horrific lag, which shouldn't be possible on your rig. Your dedicated fiber line and overclocked hardware should let you run at least three instances of the game before showing any signs of slowdown.

Suddenly, it all grinds to a halt. The scene in front of you occasionally glitching like a VHS tape sitting on pause for too long.

The entire interface is unresponsive, and the emergency logout function has failed.

An unexpected system message appears in the center of your visual input accompanied by a screeching sound not unlike nails on a chalkboard combined with a record player dragging the needle across the tracks.

Code:
    Ş̸̧̟͕̙̪̋͌̎̒̽͛̏̏̐͜͝ý̸̩̼̫͚͕̺̱̫̽̓̈́̄͌̒̄͗́s̸̡̡̺̜̜̬̺̟̞̀̄̀̈́̄̎̓̚͝ṱ̸̨͑̃e̸͙̹͗̊ͅm̷̻̭̱̲̣̮̾́̊̍̽̂͝ ̶̧̢̩̲̙̣̳̩͓̞̎Ë̷͈̩̥͍̮͔́̈̑̓̒̑̚͘͝ͅr̵̨̖̖͇̤̘͖͉̘͒̌ͅr̶̛̻̘̩̀͂ǒ̴̡̩̫͚͚̝͉̭͆̂̚r̸̨͕͙̘̜͊͑̇͐̃͠
    It blinks out and returns again, a little more clearly.

Ş̸̧̟͕̙̪̋͌̎̒̽͛̏̏̐͜͝ý̸̩̼̫͚͕̺̱̫̽̓̈́̄͌̒̄͗́s̸̀̄̀̈́̄̎̓̚͝ ̡̡̺̜̜̬̺̟̞ṱ̸̨͑̃e̸͙̹͗̊ͅm̷̻̭̱̲̣̮̾́̊̍̽̂͝ ̶̧̢̩̲̙̣̳̩͓̞̎Ë̷͈̩̥͍̮͔́̈̑̓̒̑̚͘͝ͅr̵̨̖̖͇̤̘͖͉̘͒̌ͅr̶̛̻̀͂ ̘̩ǒ̴̡̩̫͚͚̝͉̭͆̂̚r̸̨͕͙̘̜͊͑̇͐̃͠

That disappears and then once more, a popup fills your vision.

System Error
    Your connection to the game server appears to be nonstandard.
    This will be reported to the Ë̷͈̩̥͍̮͔́̈̑̓̒̑̚͘͝ͅr̵̨̖̖͇̤̘͖͉̘͒̌ͅr̶̛̻̘̩̀͂ǒ̴̩̫͚͚͆̂̚ ̡̝͉̭r̸̨͕͙̘̜͊͑̇͐̃͠

This message too disappears almost before you can finish reading it, and another popup takes its place.

Welcome, Player!
    You have been selected as worthy to remake yourself anew!
    Do you accept this offer?
    | Yes | Logout |
    Spoiler: If Yes
    Show
    The popup closes, a second taking its place.

Warning!
    This action will delete your current character, forcing you to restart at level 1.
    Do you wish to continue?
    | Yes | Logout |
    Spoiler: If Yes
    Show
    The popup closes, as a third popup appears.

Final Warning!
    Note that this action cannot be reversed.
    Are you ready to leave your life behind and enter a new realm?
    | Yes | Logout |

Spoiler: If you ever select "Logout"
    Show
    You receive a message that your account has been permanently suspended. You then reawaken in your home slightly disoriented with a mild headache. Attempting to log back in or create a new account reveals that your unique brainwave pattern has been identified and is being used as an identifier to ensure you never access the system again.

Game Over
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Portal to D&D IC - Thundercracker

Frustrated with the constant errors, Jerry hits ‘Yes’, three times without really reading the messages.

“Wait, what?” he thought as his brain caught up with his fingers.

“Did I just erase my character??” he thought.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Pain courses through your entire body, pain which should be blocked or at least reduced by the game's pain filters. You have them set to minimum, after all.

The taste of rainbows fills your ears as the sensation of being turned inside out and sucked through your toes overwhelms your senses, causing you to black out.

You awake an unknown period of time later and find yourself numb, completely unable to feel your body. Your ears hear nothing, and only a black emptiness meets you as you try to open your eyes.

Just as panic begins to set in, a popup appears. You feel relief at knowing that you're still in the game. You attempt to open a menu to determine your status, but nothing happens. The popup vibrates at you, as if somehow angered that you're ignoring it.

Welcome to your New Life+
    Click below to begin character creation.
    | Below |
    You find yourself unable to do anything but interact with the popup mentally, just as you would with any popup in the game.

Spoiler: After clicking the button...
    Show
    After clicking the button, a series of numbers, symbols, and random words fly across your vision faster than you can read. You feel an almost intrusive sensation in your mind, as if someone or something is peering deep within.

Suddenly, a visual representation of dice scatter across your screen. The final result of each becoming large enough to fill your vision for a brief second.

(1d100)[94]
    (1d100)[73]
    (1d100)[29]

(1d20)[16]
    (1d20)[10]
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Congratulations!
    You have received one [1] Greater Boon.
    You have received one [1] Moderate Boon.
    You have received one [1] Least Perk.

Please choose your race.
    A representation of the major races appears standing nude in front of you. Or rather, you see yourself in front of you, slightly altered to appear as each of the major races. A hazy line of individuals stretching off into the distance, which you intuit to be subraces that would be available for selection after making your choices.

Your available choices are

Human __ Halfling __ Hengeyokai __ Lizardfolk __ Spiritfolk

There is a pair of buttons hovering in front of each which reads

Select Race Information

Almost obscured near what you would expect to be the floor, if such a thing existed, are two nearly invisible buttons which read

Apply Greater Boon to Race
    Apply Moderate Boon to Race

There is no further information about the two buttons, nor do you notice any button related to the Least Perk.

Before you click anything, you feel a foreboding sensation that any and all choices you make at this time will be permanent.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry hits the information button...
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Each time he hits the information button related to one of the races, a new popup appears.

Human
    Humans are the most common race through most of the realm. They are far more adaptable than any other; however, they tend to have poor relations with the non-human races.

Hafling
    Haflings are a small and oft overlooked race. They are jovial and friendly travelers, but they are also skilled burglars.

Hengeyokai
    These shapechangers are humanoids who have become one with a spirit animal, able to shift between human and animal form almost at will. Each hengeyokai must choose a spirit animal.

Lizardfolk
    Lizardfolk are thought to be, in some way, descended from dragons. Although that is many, many generations past, if true at all, they take pride in their heritage. They are an industrious people known for building massive cities in the jungles and plains of their homelands and for having a fiery temper that often leads to war.

Spiritfolk
    Descended from humans and a nature spirit, spiritfolk are granted many boons tied to the natural spirit which sired them. Each spiritfolk must choose a spiritual element of nature.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Almost immediately, Jerry selected human.
    TC for short

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

As soon as he touches the button for human, all of the other race representations disappear. You find yourself able to customize the appearance of the human to you liking, including changing the sex. All of your choices, however, fall within human norms.

When you're finished, your point of view shifts instantly, and you find yourself in the character you just shaped. You once again have feeling, the numbness gone. However, you still feel weightless in the black nothingness around you.

An extremely sparse character sheet appears in your vision. (Link sent to you via discord)

You find yourself able to fill in a few minor blanks. You also have 2 points to spend on your ability scores, increasing any chosen score by 1. However, you can't assign more than 1 point to the same ability.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry added a point to int and dex. While he filled out the bits of his character, he looked around for the boon options, hoping he didn’t lose them forever..

Height: (1d20)[20] 20 = tall.
    Weight: (1d20)[1] 20 = heavy
    Eye color: brn black blue green grey (3d5)[8]. Oops, but since this is a redhead we’ll go with green.
    Hair: blonde brown red black white (3d5)[3][1][4](8)

Edit: height = 6’
    Weight : 140
    Hair: red
    Eyes: green
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-07-11 at 08:10 PM.
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

As you finalize your point distribution, you receive a notification that you will receive 2 points to spend on any ability score at each future level, though you must spend them on different abilities at each level.

Your vision blurs again as you are given a choice of classes, basic gear sets appearing before you, representing each class option.

Bard __ Ninja __ Psion __ Rogue __ Spellthief

Select Class Information

You note that the two almost invisible buttons for your boons have become more clear.

Apply Greater Boon to Class
    Apply Moderate Boon to Class
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry decides to use his greater boon for his class.
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

You feel a deep sense of loss as your Greater Boon is consumed, forever gone.

Your class choices go blurry for a moment before reappearing seemingly unchanged, at least at first glance.

Bard/? __ Ninja/? __ Psion/? __ Rogue/? __ Spellthief/?

Select Class Information

The buttons for both of your boons have disappeared.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-07-11 at 09:26 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    You feel a deep sense of loss as your Greater Boon is consumed, forever gone.

Your class choices go blurry for a moment before reappearing seemingly unchanged, at least at first glance.

Bard/? __ Ninja/? __ Psion/? __ Rogue/? __ Spellthief/?

Select Class Information

The buttons for both of your boons have disappeared.
    Puzzled, Jerry hits the information button
    TC for short

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Bard
    A musical performer who uses their talents to benefit their allies or harm their foes. An arcane spellcaster whose very music is magical.

After selecting this class, you will be able to choose a secondary class.

Ninja
    A master of stealth and the mystic arts, a ninja is able to strike his enemies down from the shadows.

Psion
    Harnessing the power of his mind, a psion uses the power of thought to reshape reality to his whims.

Rogue
    Thief, trickster, assassin. All of these stem from the rogue class. Their deft use of skill complements their stealth abilities nicely.

Spellthief
    The spellthief uses subtlty and stealth to steal magic from others for their own benefit. This arcane spellcaster is more rogue than scholar.

Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry picked rogue, and then assuming there is a new ‘information’ button, hits that.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

After selecting Rogue, you gain a prompt to select a "secondary class," but are given no further information on what exactly that means. You are able to choose from any base class from the Player's Handbook (except Rogue, of course), the Expanded Psionics Handbook, or Complete Adventurer.

You are also given the option to apply your Moderate Boon to this choice, though the button seems to have faded away almost completely.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-07-11 at 10:48 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

After selecting Rogue, you gain a prompt to select a "secondary class," but are given no further information on what exactly that means. You are able to choose from any base class from the Player's Handbook (except Rogue, of course), the Expanded Psionics Handbook, or Complete Adventurer.

You are also given the option to apply your Moderate Boon to this choice, though the button seems to have faded away almost completely.
    Jerry hits the moderate boon button.

“Class overload all the way,” he thought.
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Each of your secondary class options receives a very small + at the end, but no additional information is given.

Scrolling to the bottom, you note that you have added options which include the base classes from Complete Psionic, each of which also includes the tiny plus sign.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry felt like he was missing something. He tried tapping in the blank areas all around to see if there were any hidden Easter egg buttons that would unlock something secret. If that doesn’t reveal anything, he laments not knowing much about Psionics and picks wizard.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Random poking! (3d100)[161]

You indeed find a hidden easter egg!

You have received one [1] Moderate Perk.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-07-12 at 12:49 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Random poking! [roll0]

You indeed find a hidden easter egg!
    Sweet,” Jerry thought, pocketing the perk. He still picked wizard.
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

When you select Wizard as your secondary class, you sense it merge with your previously chosen Rogue class. Your rogue class gains spellcasting as a wizard, but it progresses at the same rate as the Adept. You cast from the wizard spell list and need to study your spellbook to prepare your spells each day. In addition, your base Will save is increased by 2.

Your character sheet appears again, and begins to fill itself out.

You have the option to select two feats from your first level. You also gain one bonus feat from your race. Your choices are anything you qualify for from the Player's Handbook or Complete Adventurer.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

After selecting and finalizing your feats, you are able to add spells to your spellbook. You are able to add three 0-level spells and one 1st-level spell. These must be selected from the Player's Handbook.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry pokes around again looking for more perks as he thinks about his feat choices.
    TC for short

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

He has no luck this time.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

On a whim, Jerry tried selecting two weapon fighting despite not having the prerequisite dexterity.
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

He is met with an error message. He must still meet any prerequisites for the feats he chooses.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry takes some time to make up his mind, and selects point blank shot, precise shot, and improved initiative for his feats.

For his spells, he picks read magic, detect magic, prestidigitation, and color spray.
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Your selected feats and spells populate to your sheet, changing other values that they affect automatically.

When that completes, a selection of skills appears, and you are informed that you have 36 Skill Points to assign. Clicking through a few of the skills, you discover that the Warlock has the same class skills as usual for a rogue, plus Knowledge (arcana) and Spellcraft. Cross class skills still costs two points. So, nothing has changed with this process as far as you can tell.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-07-12 at 06:48 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Your selected feats and spells populate to your sheet, changing other values that they affect automatically.

When that completes, a selection of skills appears, and you are informed that you have 32 Skill Points to assign. Clicking through a few of the skills, you discover that the Warlock has the same class skills as usual for a rogue, plus Knowledge (arcana) and Spellcraft. Cross class skills still costs two points. So, nothing has changed with this process as far as you can tell.
    “That’s odd,” Jerry wondered aloud, “I thought I would get 36 points at level one, because I get four extra for being human...”

He tapped around again looking for hidden bonuses, including tapping on himself.
    TC for short