New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Portal to D&D IC - Thundercracker

Your eldritch blast impacts the spider's leg, but nothing appears to happen.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Your eldritch blast impacts the spider's leg, but nothing appears to happen.
    Arelyn takes a step into the room with the stone bowls and inspects the mural, the flames, the bowls, and notes any other exits from the room. She also tries to inspect the spider’s leg that she can see. If nothing jumps out at her, she slowly approaches the supposedly dead spider, keeping her eyes and ears peeled for potential enemies or traps. She just wants to see what the spider was going for. Once she can see the body she’ll hit it with another eldritch blast to make sure it’s dead.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-09-24 at 06:23 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Your Inspect ability appears to be largely disabled inside the dungeon, in that it doesn't identify anything at all unless you already know what you're inspecting. Even pointing it at the wall doesn't identify it as a wall until you are completely confident that it's just a wall. It probably has something to do with "game balance" or "preventing cheating" or something silly. It would be pretty silly to allow you to just Inspect everything until you starting finding things like "Secret Door" or "Hidden Trap."

Inspect
    Monstrous Spider, Huge (Dead)

The spider's body has completely blocked the tunnel heading east.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-09-25 at 11:39 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Good, now centipedes.

Arelyn returned to the door near the entrance and sent a swarm of bats down the hall towards the room of centipedes, then closed the door. She waited there, maintaining concentration, until the swarm disperses. Then she’ll crack the door and peer down the hall into the centipede room to try and spot one of them.

Spoiler
    Show
    damage: (1d6)[2]
    Knowledge local to know if xp works differently in dungeons, take 10 for 13.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-09-25 at 05:34 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

You somewhat vaguely recall that most dungeons award experience based on cleared rooms and objectives completed rather than based on encounters. You also sort of remember running part of this dungeon once when you first started playing the game but find it pretty boring. You then quickly headed off into the more interesting areas that you already knew about from your time working for the company.

The bats fly down the hall and engage the centipedes, and within a few short rounds, you feel your connection to the swarm severed.

Spoiler: DM
    Show
    By the way, I've decided to use the way bleeding damage works in Pathfinder as the basis for how I plan to handle it in this game. Bleeding is now a status condition.

Bleeding
    Some attacks deal Bleed damage, causing the character to take the specified amount of damage at the beginning of each of its turns. Bleed damage can be stopped with any effect that heals at least 1 hit point of damage or by a DC 10 Heal check (DC 15 if the bleed deals ability damage). Bleed effects do not stack with each other unless they deal different types of damage.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-09-29 at 03:26 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn cracks the door open, sends another bat swarm down, closes the door, and maintains concentration until it disperses. She keeps doing this until a minute passes without the swarm dying, then let’s it disperse on its own while she looks around the current room, are there any other exits aside from the blocked East one?
    TC for short

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

You summon ten swarms, about one per minute. Your swarms never seem to last more than 3 or 4 rounds before the invocation ends. Some last no more than 2 rounds.

The room is surprisingly bright. Small stone bowls are built into the walls a few inches above eye level, each of which hosts a flickering, yellow flame.

The room appears to be empty, but your eyes are drawn to the ceiling, which is painted with a mural of a legendary battle.

A hallway on the east side of the room is blocked by the corpse of the huge spider.

On the northern wall opposite the door you entered through is a 10 foot wide portcullis made of wood. It's closed, but you can clearly see another room on the other side.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn leaves the portcullis for now and takes a closer look at the mural. Then she heads to the centipede room to check the handiwork of her swarms, and see if there are exits from that room.
    TC for short

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

On closer inspection, the mural shows a chaotic and disorganized group of adventurers in their typically mismatched armor with ridiculous looking weapons fighting against a horde of monstrous beasts as they pour out of a hole in the ground. You think that looks a lot like a dungeon entrance, but the landscape looks nothing like the area surrounding this particular dungeon.

When you open the door to the hallway, you hear the angry thrashing of the huge centipedes without even needing to approach the room.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-10-06 at 11:01 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

On closer inspection, the mural shows a chaotic and disorganized group of adventurers in their typically mismatched armor with ridiculous looking weapons fighting against a horde of monstrous beasts as they pour out of a hole in the ground. You think that looks a lot like a dungeon entrance, but the landscape looks nothing like the area surrounding this particular dungeon.

When you open the door to the hallway, you hear the angry thrashing of the huge centipedes without even needing to approach the room.
    Arelyn continues sending bat swarms down the hallway and ducking behind the door to stay out of sight. She keeps doing this until all the centipedes are dead (her swarm doesn't dissipate). She then heads to their room to see what remains.

If centipedes are still alive after another 10 minutes pass, she'll ignore them and start using eldritch blast on the portcullis until it's destroyed, to clear a way through to the room to the north.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-10-06 at 11:25 AM.
    TC for short

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

The huge centipedes seem strangely coordinated, attacking the swarms as they enter the room in tandem, destroying them before they can deal much damage. They also speak to one another in faux British accents.

"I say, good chap, that swarm was right nasty."
    "Quite so. It was indeed."
    "Hear hear. We thrashed it soundly. Perhaps some tea and crumpets after this?"
    "Cheerio!"

At least, that's what you imagine is happening as your swarms keep being dispersed within seconds of entering the room.

You return to the portcullis and immediately begin blasting it, systematically targeting the grille in such a way as to open a door-shaped gap through which you can pass. After breaching the portcullis, you clear the debris out of the way, carefully stacking it up next to the crank set into the wall that likely would have opened the now destroyed door.

The 50 ft x 50 ft x 50 ft room beyond is a large stone cube. It is otherwise featureless, though it is lit by a strange, ambient light with no clear source, which prevents any and all shadows from forming in the room.

There are two unadorned wooden doors on the eastern wall, one near each corner.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-10-06 at 04:52 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn keeps her distance from the crank, fully expecting it to be trapped.

Detect magic in the 50’ room beyond. Then back to the centipedes. Arelyn will approach to the limit of her dark vision (60’) until she can see a centipede, then drop a bat swarm directly on top of it to ensure it takes some bleeding damage, then retreat to the mural room and the relative safety of the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    swarm 4 dmg rolled on discord
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-10-06 at 08:13 PM.
    TC for short

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

You detect that there is at least one magic aura in the empty stone room but didn't wait around to learn more.

The centipede you targeted screeches, and the others in the room descend upon the swarm as you flee, quickly destroying it by swallowing great mouthfuls of the constituent bats.

However, since you didn't attempt to Hide or Move Silently, they are all aware of you and, as before, one forces its way into the hallway and chases after you to the best of its ability.

You manage to return to the spider's room and slam the door just as the centipede slams into the wall at the end of the stairs. It scrabbles helplessly against the door, unable to open it or force its way though the door if it was opened. You then realize that the centipede is now directly between you and the only path you know of that leaves the dungeon...
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn backs up 15’ from the door and waits 5 minutes to hear if the centipede dies or moves away.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-10-06 at 11:19 PM.
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

You continue to hear the occasional sound of chitin scraping against stone through the door. If you wait long enough, it does eventually grow quiet, but you don't hear the sounds of the centipede leaving.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn tapped on the door to see if there was any response, and if not, she’ll slowly crack the door to see if the centipede is still there.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

When you tap the door, you hear the centipede react immediately as it tries to get to you.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

When you tap the door, you hear the centipede react immediately as it tries to get to you.
    “Son of a ...” Arelyn says. She backs up to the far side of the room and starts blasting the door until it’s destroyed, then drops a bat swarm on the centipede, followed by a spider swarm. Then she hits it with eldritch blasts until it retreats or dies.

Spoiler
    Show

Eldritch blast door: (10d20)[6][5][5][14][17][7][2][11][20][3](90) +3 ranged touch
    Door Damage: (10d6)[6][3][2][1][6][5][4][6][6][2](41) +1 damage per attack
    Bar, spider damage: (2d6)[3][1](4)
    Eldritch blast centipede: (10d6)[3][2][2][1][1][5][6][6][5][1](32) +3 ranged touch
    Eb damage centipede: (10d6)[1][1][5][6][3][6][3][2][1][3](31) +1 damage per attack
    TC for short

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

You manage to wear down the centipede and eventually kill it.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

You manage to wear down the centipede and eventually kill it.
    Arelyn continues blasting away until she clears a path to the steps. Then she exits the dungeon, and re-enters to see if the door has repaired itself, and if the dead centipede is no longer blocking the passage.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

You blast your way through the dead centipede, opening a bloody path through the corpse. As you reach the top of the stairs, you receive a notification.

You have exited the Venomous Grove Dungeon.
    Monsters defeated:
    Items collected:
    Resources harvested:
    This dungeon has not been cleared. This dungeon is Rampant!
    Total Dungeon Completion: 4%
    Collect rewards now?
    Yes
    No
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn thought back on what the effects of leaving a dungeon early are (local 18).
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

You recall that the game allowed you to claim the rewards from dungeons after leaving them early, but that they were a fraction of the rewards for completing the dungeon, generally proportionate to the completion percentage.

You also recall that there is was a lockout time between claiming a dungeon's rewards and being able to enter it again. Most dungeons could only be completed once per day, though some had a lockout as long as three days. You believe that Raids typically had a lockout of one week. You aren't confident that the same rules apply to this version of the game, but you're almost certain that there will be some sort of lockout if you claim the rewards from this dungeon.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn selects no and re-enters the dungeon. She’ll return to the room with the two doors to further examine the magical signature she detected.
    TC for short

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

You return to find that the dungeon has not reset in any way. The centipede and spider are still right where you left them.

Do you actually enter the room this time?
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

You return to find that the dungeon has not reset in any way. The centipede and spider are still right where you left them.

Do you actually enter the room this time?
    Arelyn studies the magical signature to the best of her ability first:
    Spoiler
    Show
    spellcraft: (1d20+4)[12]
    If it’s not evocation or transmutation, or if she can’t tell if it’s a trap or not, she’ll enter the room and check for traps on the doors:
    (1d20+4)[18] left
    (1d20+4)[23] right.

If there’s nothing jumping out at her from the room, and no traps on the right door, she’ll open it as quietly as she can to get a peek inside.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-10-13 at 08:03 PM.
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

You detect 3 auras in the room, two faint and one moderate.

The faint auras are dispersed throughout the entire room. The moderate aura appears to be from a discrete location in the floor near a corner of the room opposite the doors.

You fail to identify the first faint aura.
    The second faint aura identifies as Divination.
    The moderate aura identifies as Transmutation.

You have not yet entered the room, and I used the rolls for the doors on the other two auras in the room, because they had the same modifier as your Spellcraft check.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-10-15 at 11:34 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Figuring she'll be okay if she stays away from the moderate transmutation aura, arelyn steps into the room and then assuming nothing happens, searches the doors for traps.

Spoiler
    Show
    search: (1d20+4)[23] right
    search: (1d20+4)[23] left
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

You step into the room and take a few steps. A line of bright dots appears along the entire wall opposite the portcullis and then launch themselves across the room at about stomach level!

You are in the path of (1d2)[1] conjured arrows!

(1d20+10)[30] - (1d6)[1]+[5] = 6 (confirmed critical)
    (1d20+10)[16] - (1d6)[2]

You make it over to the doors but fail to find any traps on either of them.

After you finish searching the second door, the glow of the conjured arrows begins to appear again. This time, the glow builds slowly, as if it's taking longer to charge the attack...
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-10-15 at 11:42 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: crit confirmation
    Show
    and one of those threatens a crit with an x3 multiplier...
    (1d20+10)[22] - (2d6)[5]
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-10-15 at 11:38 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List