New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Portal to D&D IC - Thundercracker

You refresh your Sacred Water buff, resetting its timer to 24 hours.

You step out of the glade and toss your rock, impacting the rabbit right in the base of the skull and breaking its neck, an incredibly lucky throw.

Encounter Notice
    Enemies Defeated:
    Experience Gained:
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-07-24 at 10:52 PM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn does a little fist pump as her throw flies true, she retrieved her rock and dragged the corpse over to the campfire, adding some more wood to bring it back up. She did her best to cook the basher, and inspected the bony helmet portion to determine whether she could use it for anything.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

You need to make:
    • Survival and/or Profession (Cook) checks to butcher and cook the meat.
    • Some sort of Craft check to make something from the basher skull.

After this, you are also out of wood in your starting glade and will need to find firewood elsewhere in the future.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    survival: (1d20)[18]

Arelyn did as best she could with the carcass, then she moved down to the stream to wash the skull, and brought it back to the glade. She’d try to do something with it later. If the meat is cooked well enough she’ll eat what she can, and then return to the valley to press on towards the rabbit hole.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

You carefully portion the meat, spit it on sticks, and place them around the fire, remembering to occasionally turn them so that they cook evenly. Without even so much as a pinch of salt, the meat is bland but gamey, though it is cooked well enough.

You are Satiated.
    You gain 5% increased Experience.
    (3:59:58)

After eating your fill, you find that you've eaten only about one quarter of the meat you harvested from the rabbit.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn

"Hmm, wonder if I'll gain weight from being satiated all the time," Arelyn thought.

She takes the rest of the meat and moves it into the grove. If she can stack some rocks on the ground and covering the meat to prevent little critters from getting to it, she will.

Food supply secured for the time being, she returns to the stream and drinks her fill and washes up, then cleans the skull in the stream and returns to the grove to place it next to the meat. Once that's done, she retrieves her throwing rocks and again moves quietly towards the rabbit hole to try and take advantage of that additional boost.

Spoiler
    Show
    hide / move silent: (2d20)[9][4](13)
    TC for short

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

You do so, and neither see any hostile creatures nor seem to have been seen by such.

As you approach the rabbit hole, the number of rabbits seems greatly reduced from earlier.

You do eventually spot a single rabbit sniffing about.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-07-28 at 10:44 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn readies a stone and throws it at the rabbit, then charges after it.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack: (1d20+1)[8]
    damage: (1d4+1)[4]
    sneak attack: (1d6)[5]
    initiative: (1d20+4)[7]
    if initiative is won:
    attack: (1d20+2)[3]
    damage: (1d4)[2]

Once the rabbit is either down or has fled, Arelyn reaches around the inside of the hole to see if she can find anything hidden inside. If there is nothing, she will start following the stream to higher ground, towards the mountains, staying near the water and trying to sneak up on any creatures she might spot.

Spoiler
    Show

search: (1d20+4)[15]
    hide / move silent: (1d20+4)[24]
    (1d20+4)[9]
    spot : (1d20+4)[14]
    listen: (1d20)[3]
    TC for short

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

You miss completely, and the rabbit escapes. You do not receive any experience notifications.

You reach the hole and begin to feel around inside. Suddenly you feel a sharp pain in your fingers as you take [1] damage.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-07-28 at 11:55 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    You miss completely, and the rabbit escapes. You do not receive any experience notifications.

You reach the hole and begin to feel around inside. Suddenly you feel a sharp pain in your fingers as you take [1] damage.
    “Ow,” Arelyn said, withdrawing her hand. Figuring it was probably a good idea to let the rabbits be and catch them outside their hole instead, she proceeded up the stream.
    TC for short

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Up the stream into the valley or downstream back into the woods towards the swamp?
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Up the stream into the valley or downstream back into the woods towards the swamp?
    Upstream into the valley.
    TC for short

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Upstream into the valley.
    The stream continues uphill through the valley. Apart from the buzzing dragonflies, you see no signs of animal life within the valley at all. No rabbits, no birds. Just the occasional dragonfly.

The valley is fairly straight, and about a mile in the distance, you can see it narrow and become rocky as it heads into the mountains.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Having reached the end of the valley with no settlements in sight, and not really willing to brave the mountains without clothing or shoes, Arelyn returns south, past the mining node, and hugs the mountains to the north, seeing if she can get past the forest that way.

Spoiler
    Show
    hide / move silently, 4 ranks each.
    (2d20)[19][19](38)
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

You follow along the rock wall and note that though it diverges from the stream a bit, you never get far enough away that you can't hear and occasionally see the water. You eventually run into the edge of the swamp you encountered earlier.

There is a very narrow strip of dry land along the edge of the mountain cliffs, but you can't tell how far this will last before it too disappears. You also can't tell how deep the water is nearby and whether or not you're in danger from the larger aquatic threats.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn considers her options, then decides to take her chances on the path around the bog. She moved at a light jog to try and get past any threats before they realize she’s there.

Spoiler
    Show
    going to hustle for an hour, that will take me 6 miles before needing to make any checks if I’m not mistaken.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

You make it about half a mile before the land becomes dangerously narrow, requiring you to make balance checks to continue. If you don't slow down, it will incur significant penalties to the check.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

You make it about half a mile before the land becomes dangerously narrow, requiring you to make balance checks to continue. If you don't slow down, it will incur significant penalties to the check.
    Arelyn slows down to avoid falling down into the bog. So long as the path stays 6” wide or wider, she makes her way slowly along the edge of the cliff.

Spoiler
    Show
    follow along the path taking 10 on balance to walk, dc is 10 for 6-12” wide. If it narrows, will turn back.
    TC for short

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

The ledge grows narrower and narrower, until your back is pressed against the wall to keep from falling off. You start to see movement in the water, but you can't tell what it is.

The wall curves back as you slide to your left. You almost stumble into the water as the ledge abruptly ends but manage to catch yourself before you do.

Looking over your shoulder, you see that the cliff face opens up into a wide cave. The mouth of the cave is nearly 20 feet tall and 30 feet wide. The bottom ledge of the cave mouth is a few feet above the water line, about chest high on you, but it should be easy enough to scramble into.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Not liking the look of what’s in the water, Arelyn pulls herself up into the cave, then checks for signs of current inhabitants.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

The cave is well lit by the sun shining through the large opening. The first fifty feet or so of the cavern seems to have little more than occasional bits of rubble fallen from the ceiling and a few stalagmites.

Deeper within, where the sunlight doesn't reach, you spot several large piles of guano, obviously created by the colony of bats roosting on the cave ceiling above.

The cave grows increasingly dark the further back you look, but it appears that there is at least one opening that goes deeper into the mountains.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn explores farther back into the cave, until she can't see anymore. If she doesn't find anything of interest, she'll return to the front of the cave and 'inspect' the bats, and the guano, and the piles of rubble, then she'll return to the front and 'inspect' the bog as well.
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

She finds two tunnels that lead deeper, but both are so quickly lost to darkness that she doesn't venture into them.

You get Inspect results of "Fruit Bat," "Bat Guano," and "Rock." Attempting to Inspect the bog fails, as it's not a specific item. You do get results of "Grass" and "Swamp Water" and "Reeds" as you look around nearby.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Not wanting to disturb the bats, Arelyn returns to about 20’ from the mouth of the cave and watches the water for a good 20 minutes, just to see what she can see.

Spoiler
    Show

Move silently take 10 for 14
    Hide near the entrance as best she can for 14
    Spot take 20 for 20
    TC for short

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

You see that the water is mostly no more than two or three feet deep nearby. The trees are rather thick with large clumps of moss hanging from them, obscuring sight more than a few dozen feet away.

Vegetation floats on the surface in clumps creating numerous hiding spaces, making it hard to discern anything in the water.

You eventually spot a large shape floating near the surface about 15 feet away. A pair of eyes above the water appears to be watching you.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn 'inspects' whatever it is that's watching her.

Is the debris in the cave large enough to use as improvised weapons?
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Arelyn 'inspects' whatever it is that's watching her.

Is the debris in the cave large enough to use as improvised weapons?
    You, unfortunately, only get a result of "Swamp Water" or "Swamp Weeds" when trying to inspect the creature watching you. You don't seem able to pinpoint it enough through the obstructions to get a clear Inspect on it.

You are able to find plenty of rocks in the cave rubble suitable for use in bashing or throwing.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Figuring whatever it was meant to eat her when she approached the water again, Arelyn backs up about 10’ and threw a stone at it to try and drive it away.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack; (1d20+1)[14]
    Damage: (1d4+1)[3]

TC for short

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

You manage to hit it, but you can't tell whether or not it does any damage. Still, the creature submerges and disappears from sight.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn watches for a good 20 minutes to see if it re-emerges, then decides it’s probably still waiting for her to come out, and she’d better distract it with something. She turns to the bats near the ceiling and tries to find one within reach.

Spoiler
    Show
    if Arelyn can reach a helpless bat, coup de grace, otherwise she’ll throw a stone.
    Attack: (1d20+1)[19]
    Damage: (1d4+1)[4]
    TC for short