New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Portal to D&D IC - Thokk_Smash

You're already in the Grove in a secluded spot.

You manage to strip the branches, getting 3 sheets of bark about 16 inches long by 4 inches wide. You can cut these into strips or try to use them as is.

You know that if you want to store them for any length of time, you'll want to cut them into strips and roll them inside out.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry decides to cut the bark into strips. He takes one of the straight youpan branches from earlier to use as a makeshift ruler in order to make the cuts as straight as he can. Once they are cut, he rolls them up inside out.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

You succeed in doing so.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry decides to use a few of the strips to help make a few weapons and tools. In the dimming light, he tries to find leaves that are pliable and could be used as the base for a sling. Using the strips of bark and the leaves, he layers the strips around the leaves so they will be able to hold up to the rotation of the sling.

Regardless of whether that works, he moves on to making a hatchet next. He has Berserker hold down the stone in question as he uses another stone to hammer a flat surface onto one side. Then, he has Berserker hold the other side as Jerry chips out the axe-head blade. Finally, he uses his dagger to carve a notch into a length of youpan wood that will hold the axe-head, then lashes it on with some strips of bark.

Finally, he decides to try and make a shovel. He’s done a surprising amount of digging lately. He asks Berserker to help him cut one of the stones the size of his head in half. Then he tries to chip out and hammer out the inside until it’s hollow, to serve as the shovel head. Again, he uses his dagger to cut a notch into some youpan wood for the handle, and binds it together with some bark.

All through this process, he explains his thoughts to Berserker as a sort of lesson.

((Craft (Weapons) for the sling: (1d20)[5]
    Craft (Weapons) for the hatchet: (1d20)[17]
    Craft (???) for the shovel: (1d20-1)[16]

Included is the -2 for not having proper tools, but hopefully the description of the steps will give a circumstance bonus?))
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2020-08-04 at 11:31 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Your attempts at making a sling are doomed from the start. You'll need something leather or cloth to make a sling, but you know scraps from your robe won't hold up to that kind of use.

You create a stone axe that deals 1d4 slashing damage as a simple one-handed weapon. It also serves as a suitable tool for chopping wood. However, stone has fairly low durability under heavy use and will require frequent maintenance to maintain a good edge, i.e. it will start suffering stacking -1 damage penalties after heavy use until you repair it.

As to the shovel, you manage to create what amounts to a large stone wedge on a long handle that will be good for breaking up hard ground, but you're not able to form a proper scoop shape in the stone without compromising its integrity. A wide, already curved shoulder blade of a large animal would really serve better for shifting soil around after it's broken up.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry nods tiredly at the fruits of his labor. “Thanks for the help, Berserker,” he says, slapping the giant on the back with a grin. He goes over to the spring and takes deep gulps of water, thirsty after the hours of labor to make the tools. He debates putting the remaining branches into the spring to soak overnight. If it would help to keep them pliable, he will let them soak, holding them down with some rocks to keep them from being washed away; if not, he keeps them coiled on the grass near his rocks and wood.

Finally, he sets down to rest...or trance, he supposes, now that he’s an elf. “Berserker, if I’m not up by the time it starts getting lighter, wake me up. Not roughly, please, but like shake me awake gently.” That said, he lays down and tries to trance.
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2020-08-04 at 12:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

You head over to drink the water but find that only a mouthful seems to fully quench your thirst. Must be something special about this water.

You roll a nat 20 on that Wis check, and you decide it's probably not wise to put your crafting materials directly into the Mother's spring.

You indeed need only 4 hours of rest to recover your spell slots. You need not actually sleep, though you find yourself fully capable of sleeping if you so choose. Most High Elves do enter a trance-like state of meditation, but this isn't strictly necessary. Other elves tend to laugh at how seriously you poncy high elves take "trancing." You could totally read a book or something if you wanted, so long as you remain still and quiet to let your body rest.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry chuckles at the System's mention of how High Elves are considered by other elves. "I mean, I would read a book if there were any to be read," he says out loud.

Jerry lays down in an area he can see the sky, puts his hands behind his head as a cushion, and just relaxes and stargazes for four hours.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Considering that you worked for several hours into the night, you find yourself well rested by about 2 AM, which you estimate based on the countdown timer of your Sacred Water buff which has about 15 hours left on it.

Thankfully, Mother's Grove seems to be free of the biting insects you would have expected to trouble you while sleeping out under the stars in this warm weather.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

“Well, now what do I do?” Jerry asks the open air. “I suppose I could make this time when I regain my Druid spells.”

He sits cross-legged, adopting a meditative pose, and begins the quiet contemplation of Druid-ness and the natural world that will let him regain his Druid spells.

((To get it out of the way, Jerry chooses Know Direction, Guidance, and Guidance for 0th level spells, and I guess Goodberry again on the off chance it’ll come in handy? I’ll be spending 24 hours in uninterrupted prayer to get my animal companion, not much chance to cast spells.. I guess that means I should plan for the day after tomorrow, since I won’t be able to recover spells while praying. So I’ll choose Entangle for my 1st level spell.))

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Now 3 AM, you estimate that you have 3 hours before the sun begins to rise. It might be good to prepare yourself for the day.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry thinks of what else to do. He’d like to wash up, but he definitely shouldn’t use Mother’s Grove. “Mother,” he calls out softly, respectfully, not wanting to disturb her but also wanting her help. “Are there any other sources of water in this area that I could use to wash myself?”

He also wonders if he should gather anything special for the ritual to summon his animal companion.

((Knowledge (Nature?) to see if Jerry should prepare anything in particular for the ritual: (1d20+6)[21]))

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

You feel your mind being pulled as though by a leash, inexorably drawn to the far edge of the Grove where wide stone pool with a spring feeding into it is surrounded by a thick hedge. Within the hedge along the edge of the pool grow several fragrant herbs and flowers. The other side of the pool is thickly covered a large bed of small, grassy plants with long, slightly wavy leaves.

You're aware that all living creatures tend to eat. You need to eat. You don't want to break your ritual because you're hungry.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry bows and gives the Mother a soft "Thank you."

Jerry takes his time to wash himself thoroughly, taking off his starter robe and folding it on the side of the pool beforehand. He inspects the fragrant herbs and flowers, trying to determine which ones are for washing (or if all of them are for washing).

After washing his body, he plucks a few of the plants with long, wavy leaves to use to brush and floss his teeth. He takes some water from the stream feeding into the pool to rinse and gargle.

For the issue of food, he approaches the garden respectfully, slowly. "I'd like to pick my fruit for the day, Mother, if that's okay," he says. As long as the Mother doesn't indicate displeasure, he carefully goes through the garden and picks a largish pear this time.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just to check, while the "Well Fed" bonus lasts 4 hours, how long after eating does Jerry feel hungry again?

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thokk_Smash View Post
    Jerry bows and gives the Mother a soft "Thank you."

Jerry takes his time to wash himself thoroughly, taking off his starter robe and folding it on the side of the pool beforehand. He inspects the fragrant herbs and flowers, trying to determine which ones are for washing (or if all of them are for washing).
    They all appear to be for that purpose.

After washing his body, he plucks a few of the plants with long, wavy leaves to use to brush and floss his teeth. He takes some water from the stream feeding into the pool to rinse and gargle.
    You get a mouthful of soap-flavored sap that makes you retch.

For the issue of food, he approaches the garden respectfully, slowly. "I'd like to pick my fruit for the day, Mother, if that's okay," he says. As long as the Mother doesn't indicate displeasure, he carefully goes through the garden and picks a largish pear this time.

Show
    Just to check, while the "Well Fed" bonus lasts 4 hours, how long after eating does Jerry feel hungry again?
    [/QUOTE]You've been allotted one fruit per day, which seems to be sufficient to feed you for two full meals. There's no problem with you taking what's already been granted to you, though you hope she appreciates your manners.

Half of the fruit lasts you about 8 to 10 hours before you start to feel hungry again. You can make it through the whole day without eating without even needing to make a check, but it wouldn't be comfortable.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry laughs through the retching as he realizes his mistake. “Leaves filled with sap-soap, that’s so cool,” he says, still chuckling at himself despite the bad taste in his mouth. He tries to rinse his mouth out to get the taste out.

With fruit in hand, he tries to think of anything else he may need to do. Otherwise, he tinkers with the tools he’s made while waiting for his instructor.

“Mother, if I may ask, what is the name of my teacher? I asked her, but she would not tell me.”

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

The Mother doesn't respond to you, and you get the sense that she hasn't even noticed you or your question.

As you are tinkering with your tools, your teacher approaches.

"The sun will be rising in about an hour. Are you prepared?"
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry stands and gives a respectful bow to his teacher as she approaches. “I’ve readied myself as much as I can, teacher,” he says, using a respectful address in Sylvan. He opens his mouth to continue, but visibly reins himself in. As student, he should let her lead the conversation until and unless she offers him a chance to talk, he feels.

Instead, he waits for her to continue, if she will.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

"Good. I'm no beast master, so I can't tell you much about what's going to happen. I do know that you should benefit from Mother's blessing during this ritual. You should begin near the edge of the Grove over there but stay within the clearing.

Did you have any questions?
    "
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

“I do,” Jerry replies. “Are there certain types of prayers I should be making? I mean, should I pray to the natural world at large, to the Mother? I recognize you said you are not a beast master, but I would appreciate any advice that may overlap the two.”

Spoiler: If I can ask more than one question in a post...
    Show
    ”Is there anything that needs doing in the area that an adventurer could do? For once I’ve finished my ritual, I mean.”
    Spoiler: One more question...
    Show
    He seems hesitant at this last question, but asks, “May I ask for your name, teacher?”

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

She shakes her head almost sadly.

"You misunderstand. I'm not a druid of any type. I am a shugenja, one who pacts with elemental spirits. I know little to nothing about the ways of the druid..."

She thinks for a moment.

"The rabbits southeast of here have become quite a nuisance. As a druid, you should be well equipped to determine the source of the problem."

New Quest Obtained
    Rampant Rodent Reproduction!
    Rabbits have been reproducing in uncontrollable numbers and threaten to devastate the local ecology. You have tracked the problem back to its source: A Rabbit Dungeon!

Destroy all the Rabbit Dungeons in the area.
    Progress: 0/5

This is a Realm Quest.

"You may call me Faelyn."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry nods. “I see. I hadn’t realized,” he says to apologize for his assumptions.

“Ah, so that’s why there were so many rabbits around. I’ll definitely work on that, thank you.”

Jerry smiles and says, “It is nice to officially make your acquaintance, Faelyn. You can call me Iriander, if you feel I warrant more than a ‘hey, you’.” There’s the barest hint of a stutter in his introduction, since he almost wanted to say his real name.

“I have no other questions.”

Spoiler: Assuming she gives Jerry leave...
    Show
    Jerry wanders over to the spot Faelyn had indicated, pacing a bit with nervous energy. He forces himself to calm down, as he had so often before a major test. He eats half of the pear twenty or so minutes before the sun rises, and awaits the sunrise.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

The sun rises, and you begin the ritual. The motions come to you naturally, as if you've practiced them for years. The details are not recorded here so that the secret wisdom isn't unintentionally learned by the uninitiated, but it's not a particularly complicated ritual.

About three hours into the ritual, a hawk lands in front of you and hops about as if offering its services. Just as you are about to respond, it flies away.

Another hour passes, and a common weasel approaches inquisitively, seeming to offer its services as a companion.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry takes a break from his prayer to smile at the weasel. “I appreciate the offer, little guy,” he says, using his Wild Empathy to convey his gratitude, but also his denial. “But no, thanks.”

He continues his prayer and meditation.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

The weasel scurries away.

Over the next 4 hours, several more animals come through, none of which catch your interest.

Then a wolf tentatively enters the Grove and sits before you. It doesn't offer its services immediately.

It takes you a moment, but you recognize this as the same wolf you encountered as part of your quest yesterday.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry smiles broadly, though he doesn't show teeth (which he thinks wolves may consider a sign of aggression). "Wanna come with me, bud?" he asks. "I'm sorry, I don't have food, but if you're with me you won't ever go hungry again." He tries to emote assurance and confidence to the wolf.

Spoiler: Wild Empathy
    Show
    (1d20+4)[24]
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2020-08-04 at 09:00 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

The wolf huffs in agreement.

You spend the rest of the cycle forging a bond with your new companion.

The ritual finishes as the sun rises, and the bond is completed.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Jerry spends the time bonding with the wolf thinking of a good name for checks her. "What do you think of the name Ash, girl?" he asks.

When morning comes once more, Jerry gets to his feet and stretches. Despite spending the whole night awake, he feels fairly refreshed. "C'mon, Ash, let's get a drink."

The two share a gulp of water at the Mother's spring. Jerry takes a new fruit from the garden, this one seeming to be a large cherry. Jerry introduces Ash to Berserker, and addresses the Mother while Ash sniffs at the eidolon, and Berserker regards the wolf with curiosity.

"Mother, I will be going afield now, though I know not how far or for how long," he says. "As I am bonded to you, should I return to you each day? I am afraid I do not know what such a bond entails."
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2020-08-04 at 11:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

"Ash? It's a good name. I like it."

You aren't sure who is more surprised. You or Ash.

You feel knowledge implanted into your mind. The power behind it makes it a bit painful, though you can tell it's trying to be gentle.

The Mother is able to contact you telepathically within a certain number of miles and will do so when she has a task for you. This is one-directional telepathy, and you will be unable to respond in any way. You are free to travel as you wish; however, if you leave her area of influence, you will be required to return periodically.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

"Bwuh?" Jerry's face is downright comical. He sticks his fingers in his ears and scrubs them around. "Di--you--" Jerry checks his character sheet, specifically the details under Animal Companion. "So we can talk with each other? Awesome!"

He bows to The Mother respectfully. "I understand. Thank you, Mother."

Jerry grabs some of the bark and uses it to make a makeshift belt, with loops for his tools. Settling them in, he indicates to Berserker and Ash, "Okay, we're heading southeast to deal with a rabbit infestation. On the way we'll find something for you to eat, Ash, though eventually we'll find enough rabbits you won't be able to eat them all."

Jerry casts Know Direction just to give himself a break, then he heads in the direction of southeast.

Show
    If possible, I'll take 10 on any necessary Survival checks for 19