Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Empire 6: First Light (OOC 1)

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Crow's Tribe is learning how this war nonsense works. Time for a Tactical Doctrine!
    Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post

Audacious Acquisition
    "Say what you will, the crows drive a hard bargain."

Spend one treasure to activate this tactical doctrine. On success the enemy loses access to one military technology for the duration of this battle and you gain it. The enemy also gains one treasure as compensation for their supplies.

I love a good off-the-wall military tech, but to paraphrase Aed, that seems really potent without a couple of things clarified. Does 'spend one treasure to activate' mean that you get to auto-activate it without any kind of roll? Do you get to use the tech that you acquire even without the requisite techs or resources? Do you get to pick the technology? That would make this a TD that can theoretically wipe out all of an opponent's military techs for the fight if you just pull the bottom brick out from under the techs that have it as a prereq.

Also, my understanding is that as the game goes on and techs are created that build on other techs, these newer techs might become more powerful than the +1 to battle or +2 to duels that we've seen so far, which means that this TD will scale up in power while others don't - in fact, for GM sides with better than average tech, it scales right now. I don't know if that's allowed or not, but if it is I'd like to make an adjustment to the TD I proposed right above.

This bothers me less, but there was also a previous problem with TDs that forced some kind of behavior on the opponents. In this case, the forced behavior is that the other side's soldiers are all absolutely willing to sell out their people on the eve of battle for 1 treasure, which is a little different from the presumably independent merchants that populate the Trading Posts being convinced to change their trade contracts via buyout or raid.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2021-01-13 at 02:46 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Hydra’s Feast is approved with the removal of the Embassy provision.
    Just checking, but would it be possible to get a variation with +30% enemy casualties, but with the provision? I'm just checking and I'll also take the current one if that isn't acceptable, it's just that the ambush fluff is sharpened with the trade off included.

(Unless dark actually meant the 30% with no use case limits was approved, in which case I'll just shut up and take my tech.)
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2021-01-13 at 03:01 PM.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    I love a good off-the-wall military tech, but to paraphrase Aed, that seems really potent without a couple of things clarified. Does 'spend one treasure to activate' mean that you get to auto-activate it without any kind of roll? Do you get to use the tech that you acquire even without the requisite techs or resources? Do you get to pick the technology? That would make this a TD that can theoretically wipe out all of an opponent's military techs for the fight if you just pull the bottom brick out from under the techs that have it as a prereq.

Also, my understanding is that as the game goes on and techs are created that build on other techs, these newer techs might become more powerful than the +1 to battle or +2 to duels that we've seen so far, which means that this TD will scale up in power while others don't - in fact, for GM sides with better than average tech, it scales right now. I don't know if that's allowed or not, but if it is I'd like to make an adjustment to the TD I proposed right above.

This bothers me less, but there was also a previous problem with TDs that forced some kind of behavior on the opponents. In this case, the forced behavior is that the other side's soldiers are all absolutely willing to sell out their people on the eve of battle for 1 treasure, which is a little different from the presumably independent merchants that populate the Trading Posts being convinced to change their trade contracts via buyout or raid.
    I am building this from a fluff perspective. I am fine with changing the wording accordingly. In essence the idea is that you bribe/payoff some of their supply line for that battle, so I could not pull out the bottoms brick. I could steal the fancy bows they were bringing, bronze armor, or (in maybe the silliest application) the sails off their boats.

I could only steal what was being applied to that battle. It still requires a roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.
    Avatar Designed by EmersonTung, Recreated by Gengy

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Torv View Post
    And I'm back with borders and whatnot.

Which actions are limited in range by sailing?
    The ones mentioned in the rules are military, explorations and claims/colonizations. But the intent seems to be that it should be most of them.

In round 11 I converted region 83, which would not be possible if conversions are supposed to be limited by dark blue borders. If that's the case I would like to know what will happen with said conversion, as I would need it to organize Glyemo this round.
    Hrm. You're right that prior rulings have asked people to have access to regions to act in them, which in the case of Sailing does restrict things in Daezirn somewhat. I'm willing to let the conversion in 83 stand because that's my bad for missing it, but from now on I think it's only fair to other people who have been constrained to cleave to the original ruling.

On the different question of spending Treasure on battles, on reflection the fair ruling to me is that since you spend Treasure on rolls, you may spend Treasure on any or all of the rolls involved.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

A writeup for region 190, finally.

Faragumūll, or Kledehem
    Region 190

Spoiler: Geography
    Show

Kledehem is a region bounded by the Vestaser hills in the west and the ocean in the east. Most of the region is covered in forest, though it is less lush than the tropical rainforest across the western hills.

The forest is at its densest in the south of the region, where in the east cliffs rise out of the sea, gradually giving way to lower hills and eventually a mangrove swamp in the north. While clear delineation of the forests is difficult, the southern extreme is known as the Skodelat, which forms the effective border between Kledehem and Dum-Hong Deng.

Those paying attention will identify large areas of new growth within the forest, and may even see the remnants of settlements. These form useful, if grim, landmarks for the natives attempting to navigate the region. Ruins are known for being haunts of blightspawn, too, so while there are riches to be found, many incautious explorers have met their doom there.

Spoiler: People
    Show

The native people, known as the Kledefokk, are human. Dark-skinned and wiry, they appear to be of slightly different stock to the native peoples of southern-central Kiswa, and speak an unrelated language, but there is some diversity within the region itself.

What was once a patchwork of tribes covering the whole region has in the last half-century concentrated into three principal pockets, each of which has developed and become known by a singular tribal identity.

In the northern swamps are the Skalakleder, perhaps the least successful of the tribes, who live in mostly small communities in the marshes and subsist largely on a diet of fish. The largest town in this area is Sumperen, but this is little more than an unusually large collection of houses with a wooden stockade, home to little more than a thousand people.

The western highlands are home to the Hoytekleder. There is evidence of interbreeding with the Bannanda to the west, and Sūwenanda loanwords have infiltrated the language here, to a greater extent than with the other tribes. The chief town is Bakkebor, which exhibits some of the same gargantuan architecture that characterises Limdimon and Imdundīs.

In the south, the Sorkleder occupy the Skodelat. These are the most belligerent and xenophobic of the Kledefokk, tending to be suspicious of outsiders. The Sentinels of the Stone have won their trust but their instinct is to attack on sight when they encounter strangers. Hunting and fighting are a way of life and all adults are expected to be proficient in self-defence. Most of their settlements are fortified, the largest of which, Klippeber, stands on a cliff on the eastern shore, its walls built in stone.

There are nevertheless cultural factors which unite the peoples of the region. They all speak closely related languages (with varying numbers of loanwords, particularly from Sūwenanda), and they share the Bannanda veneration for spiders, albeit to a greater extent. The spider is universally recognised as a symbol of protection, and warriors will frequently paint spiders on their shields or even, for ceremonial purposes, don costumes with many legs to represent the spider. The etterkoppsjarm, or spider-charm, is often carried as a talisman or placed in the swaddling clothes and cribs of babies.

So prevalent is this feature of the culture that the name for the natives in Sūwenanda, “Banagumē”, means “spider-people”.

Spoiler: History
    Show

It seems that in some point in the distant past the ancestors of the Bannanda travelled through or otherwise visited the region, given the various ruins dotting the area. For centuries, the region was populated by many small tribes, each with their own dialects and cultural traditions. Trade across the hills to the Bannanda towns at Limdimon and Imālca was common, and most likely with northern regions and the towns of Dum-Hong Deng to the south too.

This changed shortly before the Blue Star. An unexplained upsurge in blightspawn activity in the region overran many villages and hamlets. The survivors of these communities fled to their neighbours seeking safety, but the blightspawn did not relent. As the region rapidly depopulated, the tribes became both more concentrated and more isolated, leading to the tripartite division of peoples now seen. In some ways, these tribes remain loose coalitions, but fifty years of hardship and privation has solidified an identity for each.

With the assistance of the Sentinels, the blightspawn were eventually beaten back, first in the highlands, then in the swamps (which the blightspawn had never fully penetrated). The longest campaign was in the forests, where they proved most numerous and hardest to eradicate.

Each of the tribes is led by an individual known as a Besyktte, who might simply be termed a king by foreigners. In each case, the Beskytte is now of the second or third generation following the initial creation, and while the posts are not hereditary per se, in each case they have remained within the same family since creation.

In 48, when the Bannanda adventurer Ecimōnā led a war-party into the region through the Skodelat, it was the Sorkleder who resisted her. The Beskytte, Iyndrid, led a spirited resistance but was defeated and flung himself from the cliffs near Klippeber.

With the death of Iyndrid, the Sorkleder acknowledged the conquest of their territory and a new Beskytte, Halfor, was appointed. The Hoytekleder, who had tacitly supported the conquest, with some serving as guides in Ecimōnā’s force, added their acknowledgement, and the Skalakleder, recognising the value of Bannanda troops to defend their settlements (and in any case unable to marshal any meaningful resistance) were also quick to agree.

Spoiler: Faith
    Show

The reason for veneration of spiders is largely because they are seen as protection from the people’s deadliest foe, the swamp mosquito. Those spiders who actively hunt and kill mosquitoes are particularly revered.

During the dark times around and following the Blue Star, however, many Klederfokk despaired of being able to find protection from the blightspawn and turned to their greatest enemy in hope of appeasement. The blood drinker cult proved surprisingly popular, and a large fortified shrine near Sumperen has become a place of pilgrimage for some.

Traditional shamans deplore the blood drinker cult, seeing it as heretical and dangerous. Many of the cultists, however, consider their faith to be merely a variation on the traditional spider-cults and not contradictory. Open conflict has as yet been averted but both sides have been trying to curry favour from the new rulers of the region.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show

The most noteworthy resource in the region is the coca leaves which flourish in the rainforest, valued for their energetic and uplifting effect on the body when chewed. So important was this drug to the region that the name of the people is believed to relate to the leaves themselves.

Alas, during the dark years, many of the coca groves were abandoned as the people fled to safer ground, and the level of cultivation is much reduced. Only one significant trading post remains, at Bladlajer in the hills.

The change in circumstances has also prompted some changes in use of the leaves. Previously used as a recreational drug or to assist with cognition and labour, warriors and hunters of the Sorkleder in particular have begun using it as a combat drug. Warriors who do are known as Raserikrijer and are renowned for their ferocity.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2021-01-15 at 09:50 PM.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

A final rewrite just to be clear on what's being approved.

Audacious Acquisition
    "Say what you will, the crows drive a hard bargain."

Spend one treasure to activate this tactical doctrine. On a successful roll the enemy army loses access to one military tech they were using for the battle and you gain it. This tech must be from the melee, ranged, siege, or medicines slot. This represents rerouting supply lines and stealing finished goods, you do not need the prerequisites for the tech, and it cannot be used to disable techs by stealing their prerequisites.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.
    Avatar Designed by EmersonTung, Recreated by Gengy

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

As I think we all know, the map is finally being (sort of) fully joined-up this round so that all the continents are now connected. I imagine we will be seeing a number of cultural exchange projects in the rounds to come.

This also means that, because of the way things have worked out, people are encountering multiple new continents at the same time. The northern continents are linking up with both Sikar and Kiswa simultaneously, while the southern ones are linking up with Daezirn and Tarandi. (The Mamut situation is slightly odd and asymmetrical).

Uniquely, Sikar and Kiswa (or, rather, certain kingdoms within each continent) have already completed mutual such projects - although this hasn't been the case for long and the cultures of each are clearly very different and even if a mutual trade language is developing, each will have its own interna lingua franca.

I'm therefore pre-empting some of the questions which seem inevitable:

1) Can Sikar and Kiswa (or the relevant kingdoms within each) collaborate on a single project for each of Daezirn and Tarandi, and/or usefully trade their own completed projects for the newly discovered continents to the other?
    2) Do Mamut, Tarandi and Daezirn have to do separate projects for each of Kiswa and Sikar?
    3) Does each continent have to complete the project for its nearest "untranslated" neighbour before moving on to the next? e.g. can Tarandi just get cracking on a Kiswa project without even starting one for Mamut or Sikar?
    4) (bonus questions) (i) Can Ixkarr, now officially a Mamut kingdom but really native Sikarians, contribute to the Mamut project for Sikar, and (ii) does the Mamut project gain anything extra from their assistance?

Spoiler: The answers I am anticipating
    Show

1) No
    2) Yes
    3) Probably not, but let's not be silly about it
    4)(i) Yes, (ii) No

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

8. - Top - End - #728
    Troll in the Playground

Aed - I believe this was answered somewhere in discord, but could not hurt to have an answer OOC: Is Ixaar treated as a Mamut Kingdom having a translation "tech" for Sikar trade such tech to other Mamut Kingdoms (and thus alleviate the need for our own Sikar translations)?

9. - Top - End - #729
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Aed - I believe this was answered somewhere in discord, but could not hurt to have an answer OOC: Is Ixaar treated as a Mamut Kingdom having a translation "tech" for Sikar trade such tech to other Mamut Kingdoms (and thus alleviate the need for our own Sikar translations)?
    This was my earlier post on the topic, also quoted below along with the answer:

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Apparently instead of taking penalties in Mamut I take them in Sikar now, and am treated as having a translation project for that continent. Can I or can I not trade this intrinsic translation project forward to other Mamut players? I'm not holding my breath but since it's a special case it's best to ask.
    I don't see why not.

10. - Top - End - #730

Mil Tech Concept Pile

Okay so here’s some layout of ideas and iterations I have regarding techs I may make this turn, or next turn, and I wanted to get pass-bys on how okay some of these things are. Incase anything is a straight no (fluff or mechanics wise), or incase I should go for one angle or anotehr.

Spoiler: Hydran Taverns
    Show

Hydran Taverns
    Slot: Fortification
    Prerequisites: Sailing, Flavored Water or a resource that can become Ale
    Fluff: With enough persuasion and a little lubrication from drink, mercenaries, privateers, and sellswords can be motivated to sail with you in droves.

Effect: The first time you spend treasure on a given battle, you may add +1 to 1 roll you make during that battle (except the Battle roll). When you spend treasure on a Mil roll, you may count it as an Opu action *only* for the purposes of stat generation.

Effect: +1 to a given battle for every Naval unit you’re using in it that is assigned to carry Tavern Mercenaries (it cannot carry regular units this turn) (To a max of +3 per battle).

Spoiler: Alskan Sea Shanties
    Show

Alskan Sea Shanties
    Slot: Scouting and Logistics
    Prerequisites: Sailing, War Drums (or Steering Oars), Celestial Navigation, Flavored Water
    Fluff: Night Elves have charted out the stars above and the seas below, you may as well have a merry good time singing about it.
    Effect: +5 to Tac Doc rolls in battles in a coastal or naval regions.
    Effect: +3 to Tac Doc rolls in battles in a coastal or naval regions, -1 to distance losses.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2021-01-21 at 06:38 AM.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OmnivorousOgre View Post
    This was my earlier post on the topic, also quoted below along with the answer:
    I had forgotten that Ixkarr already had a Mamut-Sikar project, yeah.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

12. - Top - End - #732

The only OOC note I have this round is that it says my Claimant hasn't been identified for region 318, though I put them in the roll. I admit yes I also should have put them into the IC claim action itself and not just the roll link which is a little my bad.

Dweave (Half Night Elf, Half Alondite)
    A man of upright renown, recently became known for his ability to smith bronze out of copper in exceptionally high quality. Achieved quite a high position, and primarily teaches others the trade. Vegetarian.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2021-01-20 at 05:13 AM.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd like to ask about the possibility for a Great Project that gives a bonus to Interception rolls, and/or allows Intercepting in a (small) radius around it without a separate action from potentially defending other regions.

To me it seems a very niche bonus - with Tactical Maneuvering bonuses already being considered less beneficial than straight combat bonuses, which I know a Great Project can provide (as fortifications), and this being a subcategory of Tactical Maneuvering bonuses that aren't used particularly often - I'd like to inquire as to how large of a bonus I could get.

Given I currently control both sides of the River Sur for a rather hearty stretch, and hope to continue doing so if I can manage it, it would be nice to have somewhat greater control over passage through it by military forces. As the River Sur counts as coastline, I believe that as it stands presently I would have to use naval units to intercept at some point along the river if, for instance, BDA or ANB were to try to attack Troll Country (221) from the Sur - and that this Interception would:
    • A) not benefit from the +2 bonus to Interception rolls one gets if the Interception is within your own borders,
    • B) would require a separate and specific action to do apart from any other Defenses I might want to perform that turn, not being in one of your own regions and thus unable to benefit from the rule regarding whereby "you can defend any number of your own regions with a single action", and
    • C) might not benefit from the +4 bonus to Interception from the defense bonus from terrain (Deep Water Border), as they never crossed which side of the river they were on.

My questions concern both a Great Project for the rather niche situation I am involved in regarding the Sur (I believe the Straumr between 38 and 40 and the deep water river that passes between 161 and 152 are the only other similar scenarios on the map right now), but also, rather more broadly, the possibilities of Great Projects to boost Interception in a given region.

With the above in mind:

Would the following Great Project work (given I acquire the appropriate technology to enable the construction)?
    The Gate of Chains: A series of enormous tower-like pylons rise out of the waters of the Sur River, stretching from one bank to the other. From each, two ends of an enormous bronze chain stretch into the water - in times of great peril, these chains can be pulled near-taut to rest just below the surface of the water, where they surface as a dangerous barrier against unwanted entry by foreign vessels.
    Requirement: Requires control of both 199 and 210 to function.
    • Core Desired Effect: Grants +X to Intercept naval/coastal travelling armies passing through the area between 199 and 210.
    • Core Desired Effect (Alternate Wording): Interceptions of naval/coastal travelling armies passing through the area between 199 and 210 are considered to be within the owning player's regions and always across a Deep Water Border.
    • Possible Additional Effect: Successful Interceptions benefit from the superior of any fortification defense bonuses in 210 or 199 that would apply to a naval invasion of the region.
    • Possible Additional Effect (non-Alternate Core): These interceptions may be made as part of a normal defense action.
    • Possible Additional Effect (Alternate Core): These interceptions gain a +2 additional bonus to the Tactical Maneuvering roll to Intercept.

And would the following Great Project work?
    Watchtowers and Signal-Fires: A network of lookouts, couriers, and beacons in combination with an organized signalling code for reporting enemy activity over large distances allows for a rapid and effective response by friendly forces.
    Effect: +4 to Tactical Maneuvering rolls made to Intercept within the region.

If the mechanics and concept are acceptable, but the fluff needs adjustment to fit the time period, then that can be adjusted without issue - watchtowers overlooking the water, or ropes instead of bronze chains, etc etc.
    Last edited by Rolepgeek; 2021-01-20 at 07:44 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

14. - Top - End - #734
    Dwarf in the Playground

Region Submission - Region 224: Aimo Hajje

Show
    Most of Aimo Hajje is wet plains, with light jungle in places along the northern edges, and many small rivers and streams throughout. The region is quite fertile. Once a floodplain deposits of rich soil from branches of the Sur formed layers of arable silt across the region. Even now with the changes of the main rivers’ course the layers of silt grow an abundant variety of grains, fruits, and vegetables. Rice, wheat, millet, tea, sugarcane, oilseed, apricots, mangos, apples, avocados and more are tended and harvested in plenty.

Show
    The Hajje people are humans, dark olive-skinned and even darker haired. Most wear clothing of woven cloth, the fineness of which is indicative of a family’s wealth. A loose structure of living is held according to occupation. While not enforced castes, there are several broadly recognized groups, and most families tend to share occupations. Most people are common laborers, the majority of the workforce involved in agriculture and harvest. Above these are the crafters, those who turn the resources produced by the laborers into usable goods and services. Finally, there are the mahout, those who train and handle the elephants of the region, crucial to the work of farming, construction, and defense.

The people are led by a rajah, who according to lineage, is descended from those who first tamed the mighty elephants that bear the burdens of work and war among the people. The rajah is considered by many to be a man of wisdom, spending his day answering questions and solving quandaries of supplicants. Taxes of whatever harvest or crafted goods go to the support of the rajah and his line, who are exempt from labor in the leadership and guidance of their people. Some of these are in turn distributed by the rajah back to petitioners in lean times, a display of their wisdom for storing up goods for future use.

The rajah’s family consists of several wives and many children. The oldest son of the most favored wife is groomed to be the next rajah, frequently sitting and listening to the dispensed wisdom of their father, and receiving education in arts as well as overseeing the people. Other children are often found in administrative roles, or learning and leading crafts and trades.

Show
    It is likely that the Hajje share roots with the Veramondi people, apparent from their builds and complexion as well as linguistic similarities. During (or before, it is not known) the splintering from the false dawn, this group found refuge and survival among the lush plains, only a few old stories surviving of their times before. Over the last century, the increased prosperity of the people has led them to be a relaxed people, and when contact was made were readily receptive to trade and intermingling with the people of the Confluence.

Show
    Elephants - These colossal quadrupeds tower over any other mundane beast of kiswa, even the massive aurochs of the central grasslands. Much of the culture and economy of the people is centered around these animals; they are beasts of burden, revered for their utility and their power alike.

Show
    The people of Aimo Hajje are not given to spending much time in idle thoughts, and their concept of faith and spiritualism is vague at best. However, they do recognize a place in the region that obviously has some importance beyond their understanding: the elephant’s graveyard. Some unknown instinct seems to lead elderly elephants in their last days to make their way to a particular ravine before their death. There is a vast array of skeletons, hundreds of years of the bones of elephants. The mahout leave them undisturbed.
    "It is in the compelling zest of high adventure and of victory, and in creative action, that man finds his supreme joys."
    ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Empire! 6 - The Vygra

15. - Top - End - #735
    Dwarf in the Playground

Á'Shansholi
    Military Tech Proposal

Song of the Sea
    Perquisites: Sailing & Animal Husbandry
    Required Resource: Sea Creatures
    Slot: Scouts & Logistics

Allows for +1 Deep Sea boarder crossing for exploration, unit movement & region access.
    Also gives +2 to Leader loss rolls during battles waged on ocean or coastal regions only and the owner must have at least 1 naval unit involved in the battle.

Flavor
    The people of Á’Shansholi have always held a deep connection to animals and nature and befriending and training animals has been a rooted part of their culture for as long as they can remember. Living and traveling along the coastline of western Tarandi, they have encountered many creatures of the sea. Traditions and practices that center around domesticating whales, seals, otters or other sea life have been gradually growing and developing for several decades now. It is a common sight to see pods of whales or dolphins following Shandole fleets and interacting with the crew for their common survival and benefit. It also isn’t uncommon for shan sailors to have pet otters on their shoulders wherever they go and “talk’n t’ the fish” is a common pastime during the long days at sea.

These traditions and practices have finally developed into a true form of improved sailing and sea battle, as they Shandole have perfected the means of training sea creatures to assist them in fighting and in crossing the wide oceans. Trained creatures search out food and help find land or strong currents when shandole fleets travel the seas and when their friends go in battle and may find themselves cast into cruel and churning waters, trained animal companions will do all they can to rescue and extract fallen shandole from the danger and carry those who are wounded or cast down to safety.

Note: Song of the Sea is intended to be able to stack with Song of the Wind by the Symphony of Kalatar, as these techs were conceived with international collaboration between SAN & SHN.
    Last edited by Laura; 2021-01-21 at 05:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Barbarian in the Playground

Okay, this time my question is immediately important to planning my actions this round.

ANB is attacking both Narava (210) and Unghlaban (220) this round, from Kincany (198). The attack on 220 is also specifically trying to go through 210 as the route - not via a coastal route.

And I just need to know, like, everything I can about how this works with interception rules and what my options are.

(Potato has helpfully illustrated the situation on the map)
    Spoiler
    Show

1. Do the Anbroch have to win in Narava for the attack on Unghlaban to go through?
    2. Do the units committed to the attack on Unghlaban contribute to their attack on Narava if the above is true?
    3. If I try to intercept in Narava and succeed, is that a separate battle wherein if the Anbroch win, Potato could choose to take control of Narava, even if I win against Rosie?
    4. If I try to intercept the attack on Unghlaban in Narava and fail, can the units I tried to intercept with still defend against Rosie's attack on Narava?
    5. Steering Oars, I find, specifies that the bonus applies "in naval battles and battles in coastal regions". Now, I'm not trying to gain points on semantics here, but I don't know if Interceptions count as battles for that purpose - and more importantly, the route Tasapa is taking is clearly not coastal in nature, and while I have a lot of rivers, I don't see how the ones internal to my regions would be sufficient to allow you to 'juke' an intercepting force.
    6. If I intercept in Narava, do I still get the defense bonus from the Fortress and City?
    7. The defense bonus from Fortresses and Cities do not apply to rolls to Intercept the way defense bonuses from Terrain do, right?
    8. If I defend in Unghlaban, would I get the bonus to defend from the river between Kincany and Narava since Tasapa is still technically attacking across it, or does it only apply to immediate borders on the region the battle is being fought in?
    9. If I have an ally coming to help me defend Narava, and their route goes through Unghlaban...does a fight start there?
    10. If one does, and they win, would they be able to continue on to still defend Narava?
    11. If an ally is leading the battle but my units are still there, would they get the +2 bonus for defending inside your own borders?
    Last edited by Rolepgeek; 2021-01-21 at 07:24 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

To be clear, I presume that you intend to defend both regions. This may sound like a question with an obvious answer, but the dynamics will change to an extent depending on how the defender behaves and there are a number of available options so I think it's worth asking. It also helps us address the situation from first principles.

Let us treat the dwarven invasion as comprising two armies, I (attacking Narava only) and II (attacking Unghlaban via Narava). I'll use Roman numerals for dwarven armies and capital letters for trollish ones.

If you intend to defend both then you really have two options. Firstly, simply positioning an army in each region and ordering it to "defend". Secondly, deploying one army in each of the regions and a third to intercept Army II in Narava.

In the first scenario (1), there is nothing to stop Army II from marching on to Unghlaban. Army A may be deployed in the region, but it is not trying to intercept and is engaging Army I. If Army I were not in play, Army A would not prevent Army II from marching through unless it made and succeeded on an interception.

In the second (2), then both Army A and Army C are operating defensively in the region, with Army A automatically engaging Army I and Army C attempting to engage Army II. If Army C does engage Army II, then Army II has to defeat Army C in order to proceed to Unghlaban and engage Army B.

There is potentially a third option. Whether Army A can intercept Army II while also defending the region against Army I I'm not sure. In principle this might be possible. Let's call this scenario (3). If this is permissible, then it plays out virtually identically to Scenario (2). I am not sure that this actually is possible however.

Onto the specific questions:

1. This is essentially the above. In (1), no, the dwarves do not have to win in Narava to proceed to Unghlaban. In (2), they have to avoid interception, or win the ensuing battle, to proceed to Unghlaban. In (3), it's the same as (2).

2. There are three ways to handle (2) and I'm not sure which is appropriate. First would be to have the friendly armies combine with each other and fight one large battle, and if the dwarves are victorious, Army II splits off again and carries on its way. Second would be to fight two separate battles in the region, with each having the obvious effect. Third would be to combine into a single battle but keep the armies separate (the only practical difference being the impact of tactical doctrines) and then compare results across the four.
    Again, scenario (3) is the same as (2) here except that the "two separate battles" option is not available. My preference in that case would be to merge the dwarven armies for the ensuing battle rather than run it as a three-way, as otherwise the trolls effectively get two bites at the cherry with the same troops, while the dwarves get no benefit from their (presumably) superior numbers.

3. Giving this the sanity and reasonableness checks, if it's treated as two separate battles then no. If treated as a single battle between three or four armies, then this would make sense if, say, the results went II-A-(C)-I, and this might be a reason why a four-way is less insane than it initially appears - although I don't think a three-way should be used.
    In any case since Potato would have to specify before the result of the interception let alone the battle was known, and were his interest solely in capturing Narava one would expect him to go all in on that, it would be a strange decision on his part to stop Army II pre-emptively to conquer Narava when Army I might accomplish that independently.

4. Given normal principles of interception, I would think not (which implies scenario (3) is not actually possible). However, in scenario (3) this is an automatic "yes"; in scenario (2) I would think it's an almost equally automatic "no".

5. I think it's well established that all regions along the Sur count as coastal and therefore coastal techs would apply. My gut feeling would be that a tactical manoeuvring bonus applies to both battle and interceptions and that it would come as a surprise to Mine that it didn't apply to interceptions - and indeed that if a tacman tech didn't apply to interceptions it would be underpowered. But that probably could use clarification.

6. I don't see a good reason why they shouldn't.

7. They do not.

8. I think we have previously established that defensive bonuses only apply in the region that possesses the border.

9. This allied army (D) would operate on the same principle as Army II, but in reverse. So if there is no attempt to intercept it in Unghlaban, it will make it to Narava where it presumably joins up with Army A. Having it pause in Unghlaban waiting on the results of the Narava campaign could become circular.

10. As above, it would follow normal interception principles. If the dwarves dispatch another army (III) to intercept it in Unghlaban, then III would have to make it through Narava without being intercepted and then successfully intercept in Unghlaban, in which case there would be a fight there, and if Army D won it would continue to Narava and join Army A. But any benefit to doing that over just merging III back into I seems so negligible that I don't think it's likely (and indeed it's not happening as things stand).

11. Since this hasn't happened before we don't have a clear precedent, but in the battle against Oraora last round in the Naherin region, the defenders did not get the +1 Ancient Ones bonus for defending their own region, because the army wasn't being led by a follower of the faith, even though the Naherin follow Ancient Ones and were in their own region. On the same principle, using a foreign commander would seem to negate the "friendly territory" bonus.

I am reasonably confident in most of the above, but the question of whether Army A can behave as described (doing both an interception and defence simultaneously), what sort of battle results in the scenario described at (2) remains open, and questions (5) and (11) could possibly do with being answered definitively.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2021-01-21 at 08:26 PM.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

18. - Top - End - #738
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aed
    There is potentially a third option. Whether Army A can intercept Army II while also defending the region against Army I I'm not sure. In principle this might be possible. Let's call this scenario (3). If this is permissible, then it plays out virtually identically to Scenario (2). I am not sure that this actually is possible however.
    Chiming in again since I remember asking a relevant question way, way back in August. Dark's response indicates to me that scenario 3 would be legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnivorousOgre
    Since it seems likely both my regions get attacked this round, I'd like to ask a question about interceptions:

Let's say there are two attacks. Attack A comes from the east, and attacks 293. Attack B comes from the same direction, having to pass through 293 en route to 295. I send in one force to intercept attack B in 293. What happens if I

1. Succeed on the interception roll?
    2. Fail on the interception roll?
    Oh, interesting question! The way I read this is you'd be defending 293 _and_ attempting to intercept attack B with that same force. The abstraction gets a bit wibbly, but you'd essentially roll to intercept, and if successful your 293 defensive army would fight both Attack A and Attack B combined. If Attack A and Attack B were by mutually hostile foes, it would instead become a three way mess.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ettin in the Playground

Two regions for review.

Heart's Reach

Zone 118 (Tarandi)

Show
    Geographically speaking, the majority of Heart's Reach is nothing special. Like most of Central Tarandi, it is open, with wood in scarce supply and herd animals abundant, along with their predators. Here dwell the massive herds of horses that are sent back west into the Star Kingdom to make saddles and other leather goods. Even the locals have not done much to alter the landscape.

The one feature of note in the entire region is the massive plinth of an unknown chalk-white stone that marks the region's northeast corner. Fractured and broken at the top, it still stands six times as high as a man and is otherwise perfectly smooth. It seems to be too hard to crack with known tools, extends too far into the earth to be dug out, sticking into the stone below, and while some have speculated it to be the bone of an ancient beast, it seems to be too perfectly straight for that. Besides, no other such pillars have been found, so where would the rest of the skeleton be? In living memory, the pillar has neither moved nor done anything particularly noteworthy.

Show
    More interesting than the plain's geography, perhaps, is its people. One of the most prodigiously large sapient species to grace Tarandi, the Micur are bipedal creatures standing a solid eight to ten feet tall at the shoulder - an important distinction because their hunched posture gives them a habit of looming over those they speak with. Impressive specimens by all accounts, they are nevertheless clearly proportioned oddly by human standards, with smaller hips and legs than the massive arms and shoulders would have you suspect, though all of a Micur is dominated by muscle that seems to fatten only rarely. A humpback with something like a mane crowns a head that is nearly always covered by a ceremonial bone faceplate, fitted over the other obvious trait the Micur have - a pair of massive horns either swept back or down, framing a face too long to be human and too flat to be equine or bullish.

Their posture means they can run on all fours - and indeed, this is their preferred method of hunting down prey on the plains - but they can also stand upright to use tools and weapons. They do not favor a great deal of clothing despite the cold climate, usually content with an armored loincloth and a pauldron of leather, bone, or tortoise shell secured to their shoulder by a thick leather strap. It seems the Micur never invented footwear, either, as they have little need for it - their feet are a cross between canine pads and claws for traction and a flatter humanoid foot for balance.

The Micur are primarily meat-eaters with little industry or infrastructure, but while they lacked the technological base of their neighbors and the numbers and ambition of the continent's major powers, they are not idiots. There is a cunning behind the masks and a calculation to their moves that breaks down into pure savagery when they fight.

But the most disquieting thing about them is Rauri's reaction upon meeting them. The Solais hero spent several long minutes searching her memory before deciding that yes, they do look a bit like the finger wolf that terrorized the north so many years ago. And all of them have three fingers and a thumb, with a small but noticable gap between the first two digits...

Show
    The Micur spent most of their time since the end of the False Dawn attempting not to get crushed between the followers of the two major faiths they found themselves sandwiched between, and put up only a token resistance when Calder's final grasp for power claimed their territory. Lessa's offer of aid in stabilizing the area after the conflict came late due to the sudden appearance of the Amber Slime, but was substantial enough to soothe the local population. While the tribes of the Micur are different from the Clans in customs and norms, they were surprisingly willing to integrate, especially upon finding out that they would not be required to relocate. Their tribes were closer to what the Clans would call families and thus could be integrated wholesale with no need for messy splits.

Notably, the Micur never named their territory. The name was decided on by the Thanes, as it was the farthest part of the admittedly circuitous route that Brekke of Clan Star and Chief Kosumi took when eloping to Hiverness.

Show
    This region is home to a minor resource of Wild Horses.

Show
    The holy site of Heart's Reach currently belongs to the Way of Eauden.

The Amber Fount

Zone 155 (Tarandi)

Show
    Picking up where the Sidhe Valley's swamps left off, the Amber Fount used to have another name. It used to rely on the river. No longer. The Amber Slime destroyed the vegetation, the fish, the nearby animals, and annihilated all the river settlements in the north. That area may take years to recover. Moving south, though, the waterways get farther apart and the trees grow denser, heading toward a muggy forest that isn't exactly subtropical yet, but quite humid.

Show
    The majority of the population was first conquered in Calder's ploy for continental dominion, then the survivors of that were hit by the Amber Slime. What was left had little spirit for rebellion or resistance when Lessa sent her envoys to explain the new state of affairs, and the shattered societies of the Amber Fount quickly assimilated.

Show
    Covered above under Geography and People. War and Blight have nearly eliminated all that came before, with only a few little-known folk stories of what this land once was remaining after a generation.

Show
    Whatever resources the river held have been consumed by the slime. The horses that populated the area are the best export it has now.

Show
    Like so many individual faiths of Tarandi, the holy teachings endemic to this land have been overwritten and shouted down by well-meaning missionaries of moons, fauna, and serpents.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2021-01-23 at 12:02 AM.

20. - Top - End - #740

Cricae, Region 318

Summary
    Name: Cricae
    Geography: Sandy, rocky, high the hell up.
    People: Outcasts of all shades and sizes
    Resource: Giant Kangaroos
    Religion: Dualism

Spoiler: Geography/Wildlife
    Show

This place soars above the rest of Sikar, you could see into basically the whole maw from the highest mountain. Or at least you could if there wasn’t a permanent pall of sand hovering over all of those regions, looking like a cloud hugging the ground from way over on these mountains. These peaks host a strange type of creature, a Kangaroo hovering at about ten feet tall.

These things make up the apex predators of a land already filled to the brim with dangerous creatures and seeming utterly inhospitable. They kick with great ferocity, and hell forbid you mess with the mothers who keep a whole litter of young in their giant pouches.

There’s even a whole martial art held by the people of this land based on such kicking. It damn sure beats any primitive bone clubs or pointy sticks when wielded by a master.

Show

The people of this land are made up of exiles and escaped slaves, bound to an utterly inhospitable land and having adapted to the harsh environment. Made it their own. Learned how to hunt down the animals for their own good. For the longest time diplomatic ventures were turned away, but they finally accepted their way into the Noc Hyd with the marriage of Dweave to their highest respected warchief, name-to-be-entered.

It’s a settlement that’s fairly well received, as these people were seen as outcasts for a long time. Everywhere they go even when they come back into other lands, their distinct and very thick cricae accent makes it very hard to them to go unnoticed.

Which isn’t a problem, it’s literally a society made up of thieves and resentful masses, their backstabbing culture and confrontational attitudes are very kiswan in tone. The kiswan tourists that have arrived (after they spectated the Highest Highnest Highnoon Showdown) found much kinship with these people.

Spoiler: Dualistic Faith
    Show

Not a belief amongst all, or even most, but definitely prevalent amongst the more powerful members of the society. The big leaders all seem to agree on these principles and credo, in a deliberate outward rejection of the major faith belief systems of Sikar. A raised middle finger to Path of the Ancient Ones, with their other middle finger raised towards the True Dawn.

The mind is separate from the body.
    The soul is the tether that holds the two together.
    The mind can roam the sands and climb the highest mountains free from the body itself.
    In a similar fashion, the body can be animated and ravage around without the mind, although in a crazed directionless fashion.

It’s not entirely easy to reject their hypothesis on how Blightspawn operate and their belief on what the Consumed are, though they have the relative safety from those specific phenomena. Often times their people are outcasts from blighted areas of the wastes, and so they have strong beliefs about the soulless nature of said blights.

Posting the write-up for 318 here to be discussed and potentially approved. I'm a week out from even getting the region but I like having these a little early, especially incase I need to add a little more detail here or there.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Pixie in the Playground

Proposed Region 206, Fei Zhao Dang
    Show

Fei Zhao Dang represents the transition from the colder highlands region of Fei Dan to the warmer, tropical area of the Sur River Valley. Traveling northeast, one begins in the towering, snow-covered peaks of the Tangtze mountains, before descending through deeply-carved foothills where streams and tributaries carry rich soil towards the Sur. As one descends further the province drops into a wide alluvial swamp of mangroves, tigers and underbrush that feeds into the Sur river.

The mountain climate is harsh. While it avoids the cold snows of Fei Dan, it is constantly beset by harsh winds and freezing rain. Once one descends from the mountains the region generally has two seasons: cold and rainy, or warm and rainy.

Show
    The Fei have set up colonies across Fei Zhao Dang. Most of these villages are small, communal towns of about 50-500 people who work the surrounding farmland. These villages are built on raised, earthern mounds above the swamps, or on hills near streams and plains, to avoid being flooded. Each village holds a collection of family homes built around a set of communal buildings - usually a community and administrative center, a storehouse and a granary.

The largest town in the region is Gongzhao. This town is built at the headwaters of the Sur river, making it a key point for the Dynasty's commerce. barges sailing up the Sur have an easy point here to unload their goods for sale or shipment further into Lim territory. A large collection of jetties and docks occupy a wide waterfront on the town, while the administrative palace and upper-class homes are built atop a nearby hill overlooking the rest of the city.

The Zhao family were pioneers of the region and maintain nominal control over it, providing administration and guidance in the name of the Lim. As a cadet family, the Zhao are tied to the Lim by several key marriages and common ancestors. Along with generous Lim financing that has put the Zhao firmly in their debt, this ensures the Lim Dynasty's control over the region.

Show
    Rice. The northern reaches of Fei Zhao Dang are a wide, alluvial swamp perfect for rice cultivation. Farmers use raised earth barriers to create hundreds of square paddies, each of which can be planted with rice. The waters flowing down from the mountains carry rich soil that helps to fertilize the paddies.

Show

When the Fei colonized the region they brought the Cult of the Golden Emperors with them. No major religious centers dominate the region. Instead, there are many small shrines dotting the roadways and villages, often maintained by local peasants in the hopes that the Emperors will grant their prayers for a rich harvest or good fortune. The Zhao family maintains the largest shrine in Gongzhao, which is uses for state rituals and public holidays.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ogre in the Playground

In case anyone missed it in the Discord, here is the link for January's Podcast! Special Guest Ty joins us for our second State of the Game Address. Thanks for listening! <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

23. - Top - End - #743
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Hey gang, I think I'm going to stop playing this round.

I feel like the last two rounds I've been forcing myself to do the bare minimum and it's not really working. I enjoy the game a lot when I actually write, but I don't seem to want to do that lately or regularly. I might come back in the summer when I'm back in school or whenever I have more spare energy.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by m9p909 View Post
    Hey gang, I think I'm going to stop playing this round.

I feel like the last two rounds I've been forcing myself to do the bare minimum and it's not really working. I enjoy the game a lot when I actually write, but I don't seem to want to do that lately or regularly. I might come back in the summer when I'm back in school or whenever I have more spare energy.
    Sorry to see you go m9, but I get it. We'll be glad to welcome you back whenever you feel like returning.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

25. - Top - End - #745
    Dwarf in the Playground

I wanted to propose these as a potential Tactical Doctrines. I've been trying to come up with something thematically fitting for the Vygra Confluence, and have a couple ideas, but would like some feedback as to the balance and viability of these to decide if I want to pursue one.

Name: Unifying Purpose
    Effect: On victory against native defenders, defeated units are gained instead of killed as casualties.
    The Vygra Confluence is quick to rebuild their native conquests, causing minimal damage, and integrating the warrior traditions of other peoples into their armies. The focus on unity emphasizes that the stronger each part is, the greater the whole will be.

Name: Butho Horns
    Effect: Enemy Casualties are increased by 20%.
    After decades of fighting against the gluttonous shadows, Vygra tacticians have developed a formation designed to rapidly encircle and pin opposing forces, ensuring maximum killing potential and preventing escape.
    "It is in the compelling zest of high adventure and of victory, and in creative action, that man finds his supreme joys."
    ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Empire! 6 - The Vygra

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ettin in the Playground

Region write up I meant to do weeks ago:

Sharu
    Region 93

Show
    Sharu is a rugged region of highlands cut deeply by sheltered valleys. The ridges are rocky and sparsely vegetated by hardy shrubs whereas the valleys have deep fertile soils that support agriculture and woodlands. The valley sides are covered in fields of flax, both wild and cultivated, that colour the landscape a soft blue for part of the year. Though the land is very beautiful and picturesque, there are few geographical features that stand out save for The Worldcrest, a high mountain that rises in the southern region of Sharu near to Dannu-Gaon.

The Worldcrest is one of the tallest mountains in Tarandi, perhaps the tallest, and unlike many other mighty peaks it is not obscured behind smaller mountains and instead rises directly from the floor of a valley far below. A sparkling waterfall tumbles hundreds of metres down over veins of crystalline rock to a river below, resulting in a near permanent rainbow, and on ideal nights a moonbow. A difficult mountain trail leads up the side of the mountain to an ancient temple precariously perched overlooking the lands below.

Sharu is a relatively heavily populated region and there are numerous towns of varying sizes down in the valleys. These settlements are usually built on a hill for defensive purposes, both from flood and attack, and are built of a mix of stone and wood with many structures being two or three stories in height. Houses are typically built with at least one window or doorway looking towards the mountains.

Show
    The people of Sharu, the An-Sharu, are closely related to the Dannu-Gao to their south and likely share a common ethnic origin. Their hair has a tendency to be slightly lighter, but this may just be due to spending more time outside. Unlike their kin they do not inhabit tunnels and instead dwell above ground. They are likewise masters of agriculture able to cultivate a wide variety of crops, particularly their famous flax, but unlike the Dannu-Gao their mastery of irrigation is limited and they are over reliant on annual spring floods.

Due to the proliferation of available linen, the An-Sharu are master weavers and produce fine garments and other textiles that they dye a range of natural colours. In the Winter months they wear heavy woollens and furs like most of the people of Tarandi, though they leave these garments plain and practical.

The An-Sharu are organised in a series of small states, the majority of which are led by a chieftain who is chosen from among the previous chieftain's children by a vote of the local elders, which in Sharu consists of everyone over the age of fifty. The role of a chieftain is to primarily resolve disputes within their own community. Disputes involving other communities or between chieftains are usually resolved by consulting a third chieftain to mediate. Occasionally a High Chieftain is elected to deal with an emergency, as happened during the Viskari invasion. Alas, Tysan-Kal found himself outmatched by the Aranin and was ultimately forced to surrender in shame leaving the position vacant until needed again.

Show
    The soils of Sharu are eminently suited for the cultivation of a local Flax species, a plant with many uses. The An-Sharu weave it into cloth, use it to make baskets and ropes and use the oil in cooking, plus the flowers are quite pleasant to look at. Truly there is no more useful plant in all of Tarandi.

Show
    Like the Dannu-Gaon, the An-Sharu believe that the world is alive with many spirits and that it's important to have a good relationship with them. To this end they leave simple offerings and sing songs to the earth and water to calm and soothe them. The most important spirit is the Spirit of the Worldcrest whom the An-Sharu believe to be particularly grumpy when upset. To this end a community of cantors was instituted in ages past known as the The Sect of the Crest who travel through the land leading the people in song.

The Sect is based out of an ancient temple built on the side of the Worldcrest known as the House of Song where initiates are taught the old songs.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

27. - Top - End - #747
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

For anyone who missed it on discord: I threw together a barebones summary of the different peoples in Empire6 so far. Hope it's of some use.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ettin in the Playground

One more region for review, written mostly by Nef, because he is a fancy man of good taste and generosity.

The Ladorian Lowlands

Zone 156 (Tarandi)

Show
    The Ladorian Lowlands are an agrarian paradise where wheat, rye, and flax would grow even without hands to till the soil. The rains are predictable and mild all through the spring and summer, and the Amber river is ever steady. The species of cereal here are bountiful and hardy -- cultivated long ago by the same people who left the rune stones by the side of a forgotten highway. The good pavers had been hauled away to make fences and houses for men who could not read the way signs that said, “Asmund King hath commissioned this road.”

The worst thing that happens here is that once in a while, someone will be taken by the Spirit of the Wolf. They say those afflicted throw off their clothes and run through the fields at night, that they are belligerent and cannot tell the faces of their friends. The treatment is simple enough: throw a blanket over them and toss water in their face until the spirit leaves. It may take a day, but it never fails. Truthfully, there is no wolf spirit, but damp rye is often contaminated with the hallucinogenic ergot fungus. Sheep have bad trips too, but no one pays attention to them.

Show
    The Clans Carr, Embla, Gunnar, and Herleif live here in peace. Food is too abundant for one clan to wage war on another and all four have agreed to fight outsiders. Disputes between the clans are minor enough to be settled with a contest of wrestling, log throwing, and who can run to the top of a hill with a sheep (or his wife) on his shoulders the quickest. Houses are built with one good stone wall with a chimney to face the north wind, the other three woven sticks and sheep dung. The roofs are low sloped; it doesn’t snow enough to build them taller.

Show
    Settlements in the Ladorian Lowlands were too far removed from the Amber Slime to feel the effects of it as more than a set of bad harvests, and too far from any of Tarandi's major players to have been discovered until relatively recently. Indeed, it could have been much worse. They hardly put up a fight when Calder's forces rolled through and, as with the Amber Fount, the Clans integrated as Families into Clan Deer and Clan Hide.

Show
    This region is home to a great resource of Flax.

Show
    Before the Eauden priestesses came, the clansmen worshiped no one. They supposed the giants of ice and stone had carved out their valleys and their river and left. No one’s grandfather had seen the giants, so wherever they were now hardly mattered. Households still leave out bits of honeycomb for the little folk, tempting them to good behavior so they don’t pull on the tails of sheep or sour the milk.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2021-01-30 at 12:30 AM.

29. - Top - End - #749

Region 158: Popapitti

Show
    Geography:

Situated mostly along the river Kalatar, Popapitti enjoys fairly flat floodplains and quite a few marshes. Along with it having quite a few cold snaps, the land is not as fertile as its northern neighbours across the river. It does however have many colder currents and small underground rivers pass under it, which does at least provide access to many wells and sea creatures.

Show
    People:

The People of the Popapitti are an intermingling of various small elven and human settlements, each very insular, rarely even marrying or trading outside of the nearest settlements of all. As a result, there is little overall cohesion in the area. However, the Popapitti have a tradition of allowing travellers stay for talk for a single night, provided they leave behind all weapons. As a result, each settlement has varying ideas based on the travellers who pass through. Therefore, a lot of settlements hold the Dreamspeakers in high regard, with their many tales of travel and wealth, and somewhat shun the Sentinels, for utterly refusing to give up weapons. For the most part, this remains the same under Kalatar, with all that is required that they allow a representative of the Keeper to stay once in a while.

Beyond this, many settlements, being all less than 300 people are very ascetic, with little luxury being shown, beyond the few individual festival days.

Show
    Resources:
    For its relatively inland status, it is surprising the number of sea creatures that arrive in the river Kalatar to Popapitti. Many fish live in underwater lakes and streams, which are mostly inaccessible to the natives. However, many seals make the journey inland to feed on these fish, and these animals need to come up for air. As a result, patient Popapitti wait by small boreholes or by rivers, waiting for exhausted seals to surface before knocking them in the head with clubs. The seals blubber and sheer mass is enough that a seal could feed a family enough for seasons, meaning any actual fighting between the settlements is over the newest location for seal herds to form.

Resource: Seals

Show
    Faith:
    Popapitti is varied in faith, with swathes of villages being won over by a single dedicated missionary. Thus, Ancient Ways spread very quickly, as the Wardens did not technically fall under the normal rules of accepting guests, and Sangaran Pledges could often appeal to asceticism. However, the Children of the Great Mother with their unique tactics and fervour have made quick work in bringing many communities into their coils.

Faith: Children of the Great Mother.
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Played as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close to the sun

Played as the Duenem in Empire 5. Ordered a God to stand down, and kept a contingency ready...

30. - Top - End - #750

A quick proposed Artefact:
    The Lyre of the Temperamental Song

Proposed power: At the beginning of a round, roll 1d5. An action taken with that stat that round gains a +1 bonus. (thats a +1 to a single action, not multiple)
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Played as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close to the sun

Played as the Duenem in Empire 5. Ordered a God to stand down, and kept a contingency ready...