Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Empire 6: First Light (OOC 1)

A quick question, decidedly non-urgent: There's been some disagreement in the Discord about the intent of the rules regarding interacting with other continents.

Spoiler: Relevant rules text
    Show

In the course of play, players from the four starting continents will uncover land or sea routes to each other's continents. When players discover a new continent, they must complete a Great Project to decipher some degree of the local languages and customs. Until this Great Project is completed, all actions taken inside the foreign continent suffer a -6 penalty. Completion of the Great Project reduces this penalty by 2. Similarly, taking control of a region in the new continent or establishing an Embassy with a local kingdom also decrease the penalty by 2. These penalty reductions stack, leading to a minimum -2 penalty to actions outside your home continent. Until completion of the Great Project, claims cannot be established or pressed, embassies cannot be created, buyouts cannot be attempted, and regions cannot be converted in the new continent.

It's slightly unclear whether that they in the second sentence is meant to be the singular they or the plural. My intuitive reading was that, for each pairing of continents, one GP would have to be completed to allow all members of those continents to interact with each other fully and with a reduced penalty. However, there is a competing and also valid reading, which is intuitive to some others, that each player must complete this GP before they can interact with kingdoms from the other continent fully and without the penalty. Is one of these interpretations correct? Is there some other intended interpretation? Thanks.
    I go by them/they/their pronouns, but I'm comfortable with he/him/his or she/her/hers.

Spoiler: STUFFS
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Yes... continue ignoring me... exactly as planned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    'Kay! Ignoring a ninja never hurt anyone.

Being terrible at being a wolf since always.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Bugbear in the Playground

A quick question, decidedly non-urgent: There's been some disagreement in the Discord about the intent of the rules regarding interacting with other continents.

Show

In the course of play, players from the four starting continents will uncover land or sea routes to each other's continents. When players discover a new continent, they must complete a Great Project to decipher some degree of the local languages and customs. Until this Great Project is completed, all actions taken inside the foreign continent suffer a -6 penalty. Completion of the Great Project reduces this penalty by 2. Similarly, taking control of a region in the new continent or establishing an Embassy with a local kingdom also decrease the penalty by 2. These penalty reductions stack, leading to a minimum -2 penalty to actions outside your home continent. Until completion of the Great Project, claims cannot be established or pressed, embassies cannot be created, buyouts cannot be attempted, and regions cannot be converted in the new continent.

It's slightly unclear whether that they in the second sentence is meant to be the singular they or the plural. My intuitive reading was that, for each pairing of continents, one GP would have to be completed to allow all members of those continents to interact with each other fully and with a reduced penalty. However, there is a competing and also valid reading, which is intuitive to some others, that each player must complete this GP before they can interact with kingdoms from the other continent fully and without the penalty. Is one of these interpretations correct? Is there some other intended interpretation? Thanks.
    To add onto this question, would it function like a Tech would? Where a bunch of kingdoms could contribute to it, and then have an understanding, and then trade their 'manuscripts' to other kingdoms? Or one kingdom trading said manuscript to other kingdoms after it makes it.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine_Syn View Post
    Because it might be relevant for other players, if you attend/host an event, can you trade to gift stuff with people who only non-action attend that event? I know the gift action will suffice for a general Dip action, but I'm not 100% sure if that rule interacts properly with Events.
    You have to action attendance at an event to get any of the stuff from it. So if people are non-action attending you can't gift them stuff via an event action. (You could still do a non-event Diplomacy giveaway action with a bunch of sub-actions, but then you wouldn't get the reciprocal event stuff either).

Show

I'm honestly not sure myself. I have been erring on the side of caution in my plans assuming that its per player and that if it's not then that's a bonus of sorts.

Then again it's not a bonus if you're the first person to hit another continent, do the GP to interact with it and them everyone else can just horn in for free.

What I could envisage is its working as a collaborative GP where everyone who contributes to it gets the benefit, but you need to have stuck at least one action in to get the reward. That would remove the worst of the action tax while not making it insultingly easy - and mean that each continent would need to do at least two full GPs for everyone to get the benefit.

This was an idea that Dark came up with himself and presented it fully formed though, so I don't know what the underlying intention was.

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine_Syn View Post
    To add onto this question, would it function like a Tech would? Where a bunch of kingdoms could contribute to it, and then have an understanding, and then trade their 'manuscripts' to other kingdoms? Or one kingdom trading said manuscript to other kingdoms after it makes it.
    As I say I'm not certain on this myself, but I imagine that a collaborative GP where putting an action in gets you the benefit would be possible. I am however fairly confident that there won't be the opportunity to "trade" or "share" the completed GP because that would be a whole new mechanic that the game doesn't currently allow for.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

4. - Top - End - #394

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    What I could envisage is its working as a collaborative GP where everyone who contributes to it gets the benefit, but you need to have stuck at least one action in to get the reward. That would remove the worst of the action tax while not making it insultingly easy - and mean that each continent would need to do at least two full GPs for everyone to get the benefit.

I am however fairly confident that there won't be the opportunity to "trade" or "share" the completed GP because that would be a whole new mechanic that the game doesn't currently allow for.
    I like that collaborative effort, though I think also allowing people to 'add into' the GP post-completion would make sense, as a sort of 'translating it into their own culture'. And slash or there being a minimum of 2 or 3 actions required that you put into the GP for you to reap the benefits, because it would feel bad in the weird case where everyone teamed up and got it for one Dip action, but you were left out of that round robin and now must take it on as the full 5 actions without even the ability to ask for help.

It could also be as simple as "If you pair.link up with somebody els who has at least put 3 Actions into this GP, you can gain benefits as if you completed it while only putting in 3 actions into this GP"

All of this is suggestion and speculation though, and dependent on Dark's interpretation. And yeah it depends heavily on if this was intended as "each player needs to spend 5 actions" or "one person should spend 5 actions and then share it".

(Though not sure it's something the game has never seen before, the way I envisioned it was this literally being like an Opu 10 tech you can get via a special Dip GP, and you could share like one. Though yeah that may make it *too* easy, and requiring some dip action buy-in on everyone who wants it is interesting.)
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2020-09-23 at 03:20 PM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Need help!

Working on my turtle-folk government. It is different, and primitive, but also unique. Need as much input as possible.
    Spoiler: government, in progress
    Show

A Guides for Shaylles to the Draw of the Fffolkkk, as Transcribed by TruthSeer Benedine.

As a preliminary note, the Fffolkkk can be very particular about their pronunciations. Insufficient emphasis on certain sounds can change the entire meaning of a word or phrase. I will document those peculiarities I noticed at a later time. For purposes of brevity, I will simply note a base pronunciation for each term
    Secondary note: They refer to all non-folk, regardless of origin, as Shaylles, which derives from shell-less in pronunciation, and in how they view other creatures.

Up until just a few years ago, the Folk had virtually no formal government to speak of. Each turtle-person acted independently of each other, with a few small trading centers built up around sources of fresh water. The government they described to me was almost wholly the invention of the leader known as Nopppa and a few close associates.

Their government is called The Draw. The name itself stems from the geographical term they use for the small, steep, dry creek channels that make up the Maze. Their whole mindset seems to revolve around expending valuable resources to find the best paths through the unknown.
    The Draw is made up of 6 Wayfinders, or Waifs. These 6 Waifs select another folk to be their leader. This leader doesn’t have a title, and their purpose is to provide vision and settle disputes between the Waifs. It takes a vote of 5 of 6 to select a new leader, should the need arise.
    Tertiary note: The need for 5 of 6 to vote out the current leader does seem to be a construction designed only to keep Nopppa in power.

The purpose of these Waifs are not to create laws. Instead, their job is to best represent ideals of what the folk want to work together to achieve. They are, as best I can tell:

• The Wayfinder For Living believes that gathering food from the sea and water out of the maze can be difficult. More Folk need to be encouraged to take up harvesting.
    • Wayfinder For Creation believes the current levels of kelp-olive, soapstone, and building-rock harvesting is sufficient. What is needed is a better way to store the oil for long lengths of time.
    • Wayfinder of Civility believes that the folk need to build up reserves of treasures that the Shaylles can respect, so that they will be willing to accept the rules of fair trade. In addition, the need to find and restrict those that do not follow the fair trade rules needs to be increased.
    • Wayfinder of the Incivility believes that the outside world is a greater threat than within, and continues to press for more maze-runners, and better leaders. However, she recognizes that the current system of labor-bounties for wrongdoers is not working.
    • Wayfinder of Truth believes that the better educated the future clutchlings are, the better folk they will be. He believes that getting one common set of facts and histories together to be shared is the best way to do that.
    • Wayfinder of the Currents believes that the world has indeed fundamentally changed since the last great event. The winds and tides are changing, and that can be frightening. However, the folk are solid on their feet and unflinching. She is promoting periods of meditation and reflection each day for everyone.

Every eight years, the entire folk gather to cast votes. Each folk gets 2 votes, represented by 2 of their soapstone cameos. They cast their votes for the Waif they feel best represents their beliefs. They can cast 1 vote for 2 candidates, or 2 for 1 if they feel very strongly. The tally of these votes effectively determines both how well the Draw represents the Folk, and where improvement is needed.

The Waifs that received the lowest two totals now have to act. They have 1 year in which to put out a proposal to change their views and list specific actions they will take. During that year, anyone may offer up a formal challenge, with their views and actions. Individual folk then offer their labor, in the form of 10-day increments, in support of the action plan they want to see followed.

At the end of the year, the proposal with the most labor behind it is implemented. If the challenger’s proposal wins, the Waif must step down. The folk who supported the plan then are used to implement it. Those who supported the opposing plan are still required to fullfill their labor commitment. These labor-commitments are ‘sold’ to those that supported the winning plan, to help offset the labor-costs.

One very interesting point is that all of this is done openly, and on a weekly basis. So everyone interested can see how the betting is progressing.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

I, for one, really like it! Just a couple questions:

1. When a Waif steps down - how is a new one chosen. From my read the election is only for the current Waifs.
    2. When labor contracts are sold - what is the purchasing price? Or is it merely just given to the plan supporters. How is does that labor look. Is it more akin to slavery or more akin to an Amish person agreeing to build a barn in a location that he thinks is foolish (i.e. will anyone *force* him to work)?
    3. What power does the leader actually have? Seems like all the waifs have their own individual projects and goals - is he an executive and they the legislature, or is he merely the tiebreaker between their visions.
    4. How does betting on the labor work? What is being wagered? (i.e. can individuals gain the labor contracts lost in betting, because otherwise why bet on the result when you can just add your vote for a project instead
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2020-09-24 at 09:16 AM.

7. - Top - End - #397

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    I, for one, really like it! Just a couple questions:

1. When a Waif steps down - how is a new one chosen. From my read the election is only for the current Waifs.
    2. When labor contracts are sold - what is the purchasing price? Or is it merely just given to the plan supporters. How is does that labor look. Is it more akin to slavery or more akin to an Amish person agreeing to build a barn in a location that he thinks is foolish (i.e. will anyone *force* him to work)?
    3. What power does the leader actually have? Seems like all the waifs have their own individual projects and goals - is he an executive and they the legislature, or is he merely the tiebreaker between their visions.
    4. How does betting on the labor work? What is being wagered? (i.e. can individuals gain the labor contracts lost in betting, because otherwise why bet on the result when you can just add your vote for a project instead
    Waif stepping down: They haven't had one step down voluntarily yet. Might happen when nesting time comes. If a waif loses his proposal, [s]he steps down, and the winning proposal's creator takes the Waif position.

Labor contracts: each 'bet' is 10 days labor. With the fffolkkk's innate sense of fair play and fair trade, the losing side owes the labor they gave to the winning side. It is between them to decide what is fair. For now, I think the Waif's will parcel it out. But long term- once I get writing and some basic maths, it will be on a pro-rated basis between winning labor / losing labor total volume. For now, it could be a sore point some Intrigue player could use to undermine my government.

The leader: For now Nopppa is happy just to have her people under one rule. She is young, and relying on these close advisors. She is the final decider on what actually gets done. IN game terms, she determines the actions based on her advisor's requests. This too, may cause problems later on, if her advisors are not getting the support they need.

the labor issue I will admit I struggle a bit trying to keep it simple for a simple age. So here is the example I will probably add:
    Currently, the fffolkk do not believe the Wayfinder of the Currents is doing enough to improve the spirits of the fffolkkk. So Sttimmi has proposed building bell-poles across the land. To toll each day at sunset, to remind the fffolkkk to stop work and reflect for the day. An opposing plan, put forth by Thickick, is suggesting the Draw hire village criers to announce reflection time each day. She believes this will be less costly than bells. Sttimmi has countered that those in the Maze and away from the villages, could not hear town criers, but could hear bells. oth have promised that the losing side's labor bets will be used to support the bell-ringer / town criers lost work time. Currently Sttimmi has received 5000 hours of support, but is losing to Thickick. He has 6550 hours of support for his project. B

8. - Top - End - #398

Just a check to at some point see if all my regions are okayed enough to get the Great Kingdom actioned up. I put something in to address all the things Dark said earlier. If there's more let me know.

Also, I think we're about two turns about roundabout from me getting the Tactical Doctrine, so I'd like to submit that for some official review.

Roar of the Hydra
    Raw intimidation scatters 3 enemy units before combat. Intimidation won’t scare off the last unit, but instead inflict a -1 morale penalty for each further unit that would have fled.

Spoiler: Roar Discussion
    Show

(Ex: 3 units scattered inflicted on a 1 unit army would impose a -3 morale penalty)
    Scattered units don’t participate in the battle, but rejoin their ruler at the start of the next turn.

Basically a Reckless Assault that, instead of pushing your casualties up, pushes enemy casualties down. It pushing them down by *more* than reckless (reckless if you win by 0-4 doesn’t reduce the 10%, this on average preserves 17.7% casualties), and on top of that reckless being meant to be weaker.
    The counterbalance is giving another 1 point swing and in some circumstances increasing the chance of a total wipe by a meaningful amount.

Scatter Units to Casualty Track Conversion
    Scatter% of Army * 40% average losses* (between 1 and 10 units)
    0%
    50%
    66%
    75%
    60%
    50%
    42.8%
    37.5%
    33%
    30%

44.43% total average, x0.4 = 17.772%

*average losses is technically varian, but this assumes a 50/50 battle split

This basically comes out to be about as much as “push your opponent one and a half steps down the casualty track”.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2020-09-25 at 04:16 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

My initial thoughts:

1. Fluffwise I am never particularly fond of TDs or techs that impose something on another player rather than granting a bonus, because it feels like an automatic overwrite of another player's agency. For a culture that considers itself courageous and has no tolerance for cowardice, an automatic imposition of "your units run away" is a bummer. Last game there was a TD that was totally broken, but what annoyed me about it more than the mechanical brokenness was that it automatically caused opposing units to defect and the fluff implications of that would have hacked me off had it been used against me, much more so than if it had the same mechanical effect but fluffwise just destroyed my units and given a corresponding bonus to the other side.

2. Fluffwise I am also not entirely sure what the "roar of the hydra" represents in this context or how it interacts with manoeuvring for tactical advantage. That isn't a dealbreaker by any means but it doesn't seem intuitive as a TD rather than, say, a tech which applies in all instances where troops are in combat.

3. I would want to crunch (or rather I would want someone to crunch) the increased probability of a total wipeout (TM) because I think for most if not all players, losing two units would be preferable to losing a ruler/hero and that ought to be factored into the balance calculations.

4. I don't entirely understand what's going on with that table but anything that requires reference to an additional table seems like it's overcomplicating things. Overall I feel like it could probably be simpler for the same effect.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2020-09-25 at 04:41 PM.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

10. - Top - End - #400

some valid points to bring up
    1. I understand that much, though I feel like that results in a wholesale ban on any kind of intimidation/persuasion fluff in its entirety. Which would be fine if that's what people want, just limiting.

2. I think it could work as either, though making it work as a military tech would be weird. The fluff can be as simple as 'getting into position for a decisive intimidation surprise', rather than full on charging each other into combat.

3. I can crunch that, and basically it comes out to
    Spoiler: Cronch
    Show

Normally the casualty threshold for a wipe out is:
    1: 50%
    2: 70%
    3-5: 90% aka N/A
    6+: 100% aka N/A

With this tech that would change to
    1-4: 50%
    5: 70%
    6-8: 90% aka N/A
    9+: 100% aka N/A

tl:dr: Total wipeouts are physically impossible, even with the Roar of the Hydra, if the enemy has 6 or more units at the battle. Normally this threshold is hit at 3 units.

4. The table has literally nothing to do with the tech. That's just crunching out the numbers behind how many losses it prevents, to determine the value of the "unit conservation". The tech is 100% usable with just the two ish sentences outside the spoiler.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2020-09-25 at 05:15 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401

Is anyone hosting an event in Sikar this round?
    I know one was created with a non-action to celebrate GK status, but couldn't find any others.

EDIT Wait, nvm, found it,

the Soreni
    Last edited by DoomHat; 2020-09-26 at 11:14 PM.
    ...with a vengeance!

12. - Top - End - #402
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Question for the GM team:

If two different players are attacking a region together, and each one sends a hero, can the hero that is not leading the battle participate in a duel?
    Formerly known as the_brazenburn.

Played New Bhule in Empire!4
    Played as the Rothuun Galactic Hegemony in Empire!5
    Currently playing Empire!6 as the United Blemmyae Tribes

PM me sometime!

13. - Top - End - #403

Since D&D fan has informed me he may be canceling his event, I'm doing one instead?

All Are Invited to participate at "The Market of All Peoples" . The space originally built to house an SoS base is converted into a large market square. The event is shockingly without fanfare or expected formalities. The guests are offered food, but it's little more than utilitarian rations, and are encouraged to bring their own tents and bedding if possible. It's clear the Thunderpeople aren't interested in prestige as much as facilitating the practical business of important negotiations between peoples.
    There won't be an event thread, because of it's bare bone's nature. If you attend it with your actions, please note any notable IC actions there along with the mechanical ones.

If you want to be among the cluster of people who trickled in early, before the formal announcement, there's THIS thread.
    Last edited by DoomHat; 2020-09-27 at 08:28 PM.
    ...with a vengeance!

14. - Top - End - #404
    Dwarf in the Playground

Event Confusion
    Yesterday I was worried I would have to cancel the event, but I found a workaround, so the event is still on.
    DoomHat, Sorry about the confusion, the event is not cancelled.
    If you want to hold your event, you can, but I will be unable to attend.
    Empire!6
    Check it out. It's fun.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Dwarf in the Playground

Event formally canceled
    It has been retconned out of existence, and never happened, which I think is doable since I don't think anyone is attending anymore after my mix up.
    If this is not doable, then I should probably be alerted to this.
    If you had to trade with me, I will be at Doom's event.
    If you payed extra, you get one extra hour in the ball pit.
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2020-09-28 at 02:34 PM.
    Empire!6
    Check it out. It's fun.

16. - Top - End - #406

Region 132

Bluestohe

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    Sitting between the deep valleys of the Tillands and the open stretches of the Sangaran wilds, Bluestohe is blessed with minor hills and forests, enough to keep the winds mild and the land arable. Being comparatively close to the Ocean, it is also slightly warmer than many other places in Tarandi. Despite this, the land is not the most fertile, the soil being incredibly dry and rough. It is said that the only things that will grow are Einkorn and Lyre grass, a slightly teal grass that thrives in the soil.

Spoiler: People and Government
    Show
    People and Government.

The Blust's (as they are called by outsiders) or the Blusthonians (as they refer to themselves) are a cultural mix of the surrounding regions, and thus have skins ranging from the dark to pale, although most do have dark hair. They are the result of many native clans and settlements being attacked by northerners seeking better lands in the south, and wandering tribes from the south who have settled here away from the horrors of the false dawn. This gives each individual tribe a very unique and strong identity that each hold dear.

Traditionally, Blusthonians live by strict hierarchy. Each member of the tribe is will be told upon their coming of age where their value is in the tribe, in order of those others who are coming of age. Those chosen first are seen as great future leaders, whereas those at the end are seen as near useless, meaning they are unlikely to secure a marriage. By this, often the most hard working are those at the extremes. In the rare cases where only one comes of age, they are described as 'Gallajants,' the untested, and thus are often sent on tasks of great danger for their worth to be measured.

It must be noted, it can sometimes be hard to tell where the surrounding regions begin and end, as to those out on the frontiers, they truly care for neither, and would usually pay lip service to both. Alas, that time is beginning to end. When Farantis of the Clawed Stones married Jia Polahi, he cemented his Tribe as the dominant power for years to come, and the frontier disappeared, especially with the sheer might of Sangar.

The Blusthonian's are mostly united in that they pay homage to their individual tribe chief, and in turn the Great Chief which a tribe may only ever hold once, after which the tribe forfeits the right until five other tribes have held it. The Great Chief is chosen by many various priests, soldiers and a representative of the previous Great Chief, until they all come to an agreement. The Great Chief rules for life, although if they hold the position for less than a season, they need only wait a single Chief until they are allowed to aspire for it again.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show
    Resource: Einkorn

Einkorn is a cereal that is especially hardy. With such terrible soil, it is a blessing that the Einkorn grows so well even so. Throngs of the plant grow interspersed with Lyre grass, meaning wanderers can find food if they are careful, and most clans have begun to close off areas to allow for the plant to grow on its own acord, especially with the new irrigation techniques from the far north.

TP 1: Open
    TP 2: Open

Spoiler: Faith
    Show
    Faith

Quite recently, The Ancient Way has spread its wings over Bluestohe. Many take after Sangar and the way of song, seeing it as the way to keep the spirit of their tribe alive and its own story, under the greater song of Bluestohe as a whole, which Sangar heavily approves of. Quite a few however also take the other ways, with both Simrah and Thought being not uncommon. The few tribes who have sought the Way of Death are often feared, especially with the ideas still so fresh, however, many have taken this as a duty to do this when illness or injury come, so they can truly enact being a scavanger.

Faith: The Ancient Ways
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Played as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close to the sun

Played as the Duenem in Empire 5. Ordered a God to stand down, and kept a contingency ready...

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Region 138 "The Bloody Hills" Overview
    Show

Region Number 138
    Owner: Creatures of Ancient Ways (CAW via Raced-The-Sun)
    Resource (Great) Cranberries
    TP 1: Open
    TP 2: Open
    TP 3: Open
    Holy Center: The Ancient Ways

Show

Similar to the Carrion Ward the Bloody Hills are vast roiling steepe pocked with the occasional small forest or fresh water stream flowing through the land towards the Grey Lake. But the plateau land is highly irregular, bumpy hills stretching in clustered mounds as far as the eye can see, and swept with harsh grass, and patches of arid waste. The climate is highly temperamental, with intense blizzards that leave long periods of drought or famine, referred to by the locals as "Zhuts", and wildfires or intense winds during the summer months. A small stretch of forest separates the lands of the Carrion Ward and the Bloody Hills with a natural border. This "No-Man's Woods" is rumored to be haunted and is the sight of many a discarded and picked clean corpse. The most heavily populated part of the region is the most arable and reliably fertile valley in the cross section of interwoven steep hills covered from near top to bottom in cranberries, roses, and a variety of other flowers fed by an intersection of two rivers through their valley. In old days it was equally referred to as The Rosy Cross and The Bloody Hills for its evocative crimson coloration, intersecting naturalistic pattern, and the inescapable bouts of violence involved when men are greedy and selfish enough to desire such things. The ever green hills are sheltered from most of the worst zhutz. Of particular note is the valley Orkhda only a few days march from the Bloody Hills, pocked with caves along its stony face, and curving in a semicircular pattern towards the Bloody Hills.

Spoiler: People and Government
    Show

"Long ago we were one, now we are many.

In ages past we were but one of many people, spread far from this cursed land, and then the Sky Scarring came. Our cousins and kin from afar went silent, the land grew harsh, the world bled, and we with it. The forests are not safe, child. Beasts roam those lands. And they take with them a final price. The spirits of them who pass from this world to the next look afoul those who travel too far and their cries cling to you long after you leave if ever. Our kind ruled the Rosy Cross since as far back as when the sky was first blooded and with each passing season more and more people came running through those cursed woods, slipping past our fingers, and spreading as best they could beyond the safety of Our Hills. Some integrated into our tribe, others wilted beneath the zhutz harsh gaze, behexed by their passage through No-Man's Woods, and some made meager lives in the Orkhda and beyond but all pay tribute to the Bloody Hills. We are all similar people, Men of true blood, and though time or distance has rendered us different in many ways we are the same. Our skin, hair, and eyes may vary wildly between tribes, but in all of us beats a warriors heart, and the spark of Man to live. To conquer. The land has long defined us, imposed upon us, and corralled us. Now it makes one final demand of us as a new wave of life bursts forth from the dread forests. But these are not the disparate kin of families long seperated now reunited from destruction and terror. No this is the land's will made manifest. A plague, a Zhutz, unlike any other, and the greatest of them all. The great bears of the land, towering over man with snouts short and fierce, now command with the tongue of Man, and with it they have taken the Orkhda Valley and its many caves. The sparkling wings in the bearberry fields are spies and madmen all. Chittering incessant voices and shifting sights from unseen hands. But worst of all in burrows near or tree branches far, on craggy hilltop or sunken valley low, and most fiercely in that cursed wood are the Beast of Day and Night. Those small folk with beady dark eyes and striped fur. They are ruthless killers all, stalking together beneath the cover of night, and some wield dark war magics that bubble forth frothing from the mouth. These "Woken" are a threat to our way of life and our kind."

- Jaholo, Former Chief of the Bloody Hills, now since deposed and replaced in partnership with the Bloody King Raced-The-Sun and his Mourn Queen Jahoon

Spoiler: Resource
    Show

The Bloody Hills are often called so because they run thick with the blood of warring tribes of man but in truth they are known as such originally for the vast swathes of Cranberries that grow on these hills and the surrounding land. Mixed in with other flowers and short plant life that easily recovers from the harsh winters or sudden wildfires they are a constant source of jam, dye, and ingredient for alcoholic beverages. The harvesting of these berries is a ripe industry propagated both by the human thralls employed by the Woken King "Raced-The-Sun" but also by several of the Cave Bears, Butterflies, and Raccoons of the surrounding less arable land.
    TP 1: OPEN
    TP 2: OPEN
    TP 3: OPEN

Show

Holy Site: The Bloody Hills are the cultural and religious heart of the land. Many of the humans that populate the region travel to the cluster of hills to work the fields, pay tribute, and otherwise seek a life in the otherwise unforgiving plataue beyond. From its heart the Vulture "Raced-The-Sun" preaches The Ancient Ways, though his sermons on the nature of reality, the fickle state of the physical, and the necessity of death in cycling forth new reinvigorated life endlessly would to a laymen seem nearly identical to that of the Carrion Ward. In truth his teachings are a heresy of the Way of Death, with himself position as the final arbiter of death, and his interpretations the sole acceptable dogma of the official "civilized" barbarians who roam the land. Where the Bloody Rivers intersect at the lowest point of the valley between the Bloody Hills is considered a most sacred site, and many rituals are performed upon this land. Beyond the sight of the Bloody King's reign though are many simple stone shrines in the caves of Orkhda tended to by the Cave Bear Thi'Skaids or by the Woken who lair within No-Man's Woods.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2020-09-28 at 11:45 PM.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

18. - Top - End - #408

Shandolé
    Elf Country

Dól’Shilo – Valley of Smoke
    Tarandi, Region #114 – Land of Diamonds & Ash

Spoiler: Shilo Vale
    Show

Shandolé
    Elf Country

Dól’Shilo – Valley of Smoke
    Tarandi, Region #114 – Land of Diamonds & Ash
    (Shilo Vale)

“The young an’ the wise.
    Under ashen skies
    Ride boldly ride
    Warriors side by side.

See fire in the skies
    Fear an’ courage in our eyes
    The Ember Bats to assail
    Ye an’ me in Shilo Vale

By shadows pass
    Into a great crevasse
    Through smoke an’ night
    We find the lair o’ flame & blight

Diamond mounds & fleshy stone
    Sleeping ‘spawn of obsidian bone
    Strike the walls that bleed with fire
    Turn this mountain into their pyre.

See fire in the skies
    Fear an’ courage in our eyes
    The Ember Bats to assail
    Ye an’ me in Shilo Vale
    Ye an’ me in Shilo Vale”

“Quench the Skies”
    as sung by Edge.

---

Summery

Region: Dól’Shilo, #114 – Tarandi
    Capital: No
    People: Shaní (Elves), Sangar, Dannu & Wýnro (Humans)
    Leader: The Winter Council of Shandolé
    Religions: The Ancient Ways, Way of Eauden & Secrets of Wýnro (Open Holy Sight)
    Resource: Diamonds (Great)

---

Geography

Shilo Vale is a craggy wild country still recovering from the devastation of a volcanic eruption. The Santíshilo Mountains dominate much of the region and are made from a combination of ancient grey schist and newly formed black basalt. Fissures and cliffs crisscross the landscape and there many caves and hot springs, as well as some explosive geysers, spewing boiling water and minerals. Rivers run down from the mountains cutting their way through fissures and jagged hills toward the coast. The Jómahlyn River in particular cuts through a deep gash in the land, with tall cliffs rising to either side. It flows directly down from the volcano and diamonds can be found washed down its stream. Rugged forests struggle to survive both the fiery wrath of the volcano and the harsh freezing winters. Lower in the valley there are hardwoods and growing higher up on the mountain slopes are evergreen forests, including redwoods and bristlecone pines. A number of islands rise from the waves of the Lýndícalah Sea near the volcano, but they are mostly baren and rocky turf. In the south the mountains are close to the coast of rocky cliffs and crags of Cemndíclâggen’Cahnîg separate it from Shandolýn. Mammoths, wolves, reindeer and elk live in the Vale, along with many other creatures, though the frightful history of the Ember Bats and the eruption of the volcano has caused them to be sparce and skittish. The coast is more obviously thriving, with large pods of seals, orcas and walruses and hunting sperm whales amid a flourishing verity of fish and sea birds.

Spoiler: Places of Note
    Show

Places of Note

Santishilo – Smoky Mountains
    While not as tall and glaciered as the Santicemnahs just south of them, the Santishilos arche from the south east all the way across to the northwest, forming both the eastern and northern boarders of the region. Mostly made of schist and basalt in a mix of igneous and metamorphic rocks, they’re deep and old with many caves and secrets to hide.

Antcíroont’Sandí – Batblight Mountain
    The great volcano that was the flesh-stone lair of the Ember Bats is still feared and avoided. Though its rumored that mounds of diamonds are buried within, most people prefer to search the rivers and outer base. Smoke and ash still issue forth now and then and the caldron is considered unstable, liable to boil forth lava at any time. Along its slopes many igneous rocks can be found, including valuable black obsidian, which can be used for weapons and to make mirrors.

Jòmahlyn – Ember River
    Jómahlyn runs north to south from the norther mountains to the Lýndicalah, cutting a deep canyon along the way. Much of the runoff & erosion from Antcíroont’Sandí is washed down the Jómahlyn, making it an excellent place to pan for diamonds and obsidian. Its course is rough and rocky, with many rapids and dangerous eddies, making it nearly impossible to navigate by boat. Right before reaching the ocean, it cascades over a high waterfall at Tól’Thaláurên’Cahnîg – Town of Craggy Falls.

Tûftlyn – Ash River
    Tûftlyn runs east to west from the Kinfûlýn’Momûndískor - Mammoth Skull Geysers – flowing through the forests and down to the Lyndicahal at Tól’Thaláurên’Cahnîg – Town of Craggy Falls, where it cascades to the shore. Like the Jómahlyn, it has several impressive waterfalls and steep rapids. The water tends to be a little mirky, carrying a lot of greyish slit and mud and giving it an ashy look. The hot water springs near its source and the rapidity of its current usually helps it flow all winter long, even through the high snows and ice.

Cemncílyn – Frost River
    Running south to north, the Cemncílyn joins the Tûftlyn about halfway through its course above some impressive waterfalls. Starting up in the high barren regions of the Cemndíclâggen’Cahnîg - Ice Worm Ridge, its waters are cold and clear compared to the waters of the Tûftlyn. In wintertime it tends to freeze over more often and is generally not as swift and deep as the other rivers in the region.

Claráglemní’Canzi – Diamond Fissure
    A deep canyon cut by the Jómahlyn, Claráglemní’Canzi shows the many layers of igneous rocks spewed out by Antcíroont’Sandí over the millennia. Deeper down it also has the warped and jagged layers of metamorphic schist from the mountains’ core. Heavy with the ash and mud and stone washing down from the recent eruption, the river waters are dark and murky and its banks are rough with hardened lava flows and huge craggy boulders. Much of the vegetation around the canyon is still burned and ruined by the eruption, though new growth is beginning to show. Despite its bleak and scared appearance, the canyon is a great source of wealth as broken and valuable bits of obsidian, as well as predacious diamonds often get washed through it by the river to be dropped near its southern end, allowing people to gather these riches without needing to journey into the remote and dangerous regions directly under Antcíroont’Sandí’s shadow.

Kinfûlýn’Momûndískor - Mammoth Skull Geysers (Holy Site)
    In the eastern mountains are a set of geysers and boiling hot mineral pools. The violent and frequent eruptions of hot water and steam are impressive, even frightening to observe, but the scene is macabre because of the enormous mammoth skull abandoned near the pools. Several times larger than a normal mammoth skull ever should be, it rises nearly 20 feet into the air and its tusks curve over the pools like two huge boughs of some great bone tree. A shaní could stand at full height in the skull’s eyes socket and the hollow space inside isn’t much smaller than the space inside a typical wigwam. Water is considered the holy element and the violent and dangerous expression of water at the geysers, as well as the huge skull overlooking it all quickly inspired a sense of sacred awe around the place. A simple stone alter and some pained totems and wooden icons were set up between the Mammoths tusks and the site became known as a holy place.

Thûrú’Fûthlyn - Caves of Steam
    Not too far from Kinfûlýn’Momûndískor, further north along the mountain chain, are several caves lining a steep mountain valley. Steam can often be seen rising from them and filling the area with fog. Venturing into the caves, it doesn’t take long to discover several saunas of underground pools and springs of hot water. Through communal bathing and saunas isn’t a traditional means of relaxation for the Shaní the Dannu have an appreciation for its healing and meditative properties. The area is remote, but nonetheless has become a sought-after destination point. A number of camps often settle in the valley during the summer months when the place is more accessible.

Therûglemní - Crystal Cave (Cursed)
    From Thûrú’Fûthlyn, if you follow the mountain chain even further north there is another large cave system that has been discovered. Some camps settled in the area, hoping to discover some rich mines, but almost immediately the settlers began experiencing terrible misfortunes. People went missing regularly and others went mad attacking their friends and family without explanation or trying to bind them and drag them into the depths of the caves. Other unsettling phenomena such as sightings of phantoms, animals going rogue and terrifying dreams or trance visions plagued the camps as well. Daimons, crystal and other gems were discovered in the area, but despite this wealth, the camps were quickly abandoned and word spread that the place was cursed.

Cemndíclâggen’Cahnîg - Ice Worm Ridge
    Rocky step and mesas rise on the southern rim of the region and the mountain glaciers sits closest to the ocean in these parts. There’s little vegetation and the winds are bitter and fast, screaming over the sharp ridge rocks with a spiteful malice. The area separates Shilo Vale from Shandolýn, but it difficult and dangerous to traverse, so most people prefer to travel between the region by means of boat, especially since the place is known for the enormous Cemndíclâggen (Ice Worms) it’s named after. These ice-burrowing beasts usually hibernate, but when they waken, they will eat everything in their paths, swallowing whole herds, swathes of forest and could easily devour a whole caravan.

Nenaí’Antcíjomah - Ember Bat Islands
    At the base of Antcíroont’Sandí this chain of islands are mostly rocky and barren affairs with burned forests and gritty black beaches. However, there are often hundreds of seals, walruses and sea birds that take harbor up on the beaches and boulders of the islands and the ocean around them is teaming with fish and whales, making it an excellent destination for fishermen and hunters. However, the looming presence of the volcano gives the whole coastal area an unsettling and cursed atmosphere, so no permanent settlements have been established yet and those that visit don’t stay for long.

Nenaí’Cahnîg – Crag Islands
    There is only one accessible deep harbor bay in the region and situated a way off that coast from it are two large islands. They’re rocky with sharp shores of jagged rocks, but the rolling green hills are suitable for grazing and raising sheep, goats or even a few mammoths. The islands also make excellent lookout points with views over the harbor and along the coastline both north and south.

Tól’Thaláurên’Cahnîg – Town of Craggy Falls
    The deep-water harbor along the region’s coast has shores of gritty black sand and all around are high cliffs cupping the bay. Both the Jómahlyn and the Tûftlyn cascade in great waterfalls down to the shore and a port town has been built between the two waterfalls. With wharfs and some buildings build down at the shore, a steep hitch-back road rises up the cliffs with houses built tight along the sides. At the top are towers and fortification overlooking the road and the harbor and protected on two sides by the rivers. Most of the trade and travel in and out of the region goes through Tól’Thaláurên’Cahnîg and it is the largest of the frontier towns that have been established so far. With farming difficult and hunting sparce, the village provides much of the region’s food via fishing and there are often many fishing boats to be seen on the waters when the weather is good. Tól’Thaláurên’Cahnîg has a mix of both shaní and human and there is a lively and adventurous atmosphere to the place with many people coming and going on there way deeper into the region, or returning with wealth and stories.

Tól’Tri’Claráglemní – Town of Diamond Sky
    Established at the southern end of the Claráglemní’Canzi – Diamond Fissure, Tól’Tri’Claráglemní is the largest and most successful mining town in the region. Both shaní and humans can be seen panning the waters and sifting the mud and a number of mines and quarries have been established nearby. Diamonds are the glamourous resource most seek after, but obsidian, flint and sturdy construction stone of grey schist are also mined and exported from the place. Its location is where the high walls of the canyon fallaway to the open plains and rocky hills and the sky above can be a beautiful sight to behold, whether it be a spread of stars, the vivid reds and oranges of a sunset, the flashing northern lights, or the billowing of smoke and ash clouds from the volcano’s distant grumblings. There is little comfort to be found at Tól’Tri’Claráglemní, but it’s hard not to feel a sense of grandeur and adventure around the place, where any day you might strike it rich, or be consumed in the sudden eruption and wrath of Antcíroont’Sandí.

Tól’Zaní’Cemncí – Town of Frost View
    Tól’Zaní’Cemncí is the smallest frontier town established so far, but also has made the most progress in cultivating the forests and land. What little food is grown in the region is grown here and the forests around the town are the most untouched by the volcano’s burning wrath and so has the best game and vegetation available. So far, the area has mostly been settled by shaní though a few Sangar families have also moved in. It’s located on a high cliff overlooking the Tûftlyn river with grassy fields and forest stretching behind it toward the mountains.

---

People

Shilo Vale is a rugged and dangerous county, only recently freed from blightspawn and with an active volcano looming over it all. Yet, beside these ominous threats, the country offers great wealth, adventure and opportunity for new beginnings. Those drawn to such a frontier may come from different races and nationalities, but they all have a common sense of daring and hope. While many shaní answered the Call of the Vale, including the hero Edge himself, the shaní population has never been large and their presence alone would hardly have been enough to colonize the wild country, so the Winter Council reached out to some of their allies around Tarandi. A number of human nationalities joined the shaní, swearing allegiance to the Winter Council in exchange for the chance of a new life, wealth and freedom in Shilo Vale.

Spoiler: The Call of the Vale
    Show

The Call of the Vale

Shaní – River Elves

When the Winter Council decided to colonize the region, a whole tribe of the shaní agreed together to relocate north. They call themselves the Wind Dash tribe and many had been growing discontent with the rising level of sedentary life in Shandolýn, seeking to return to a more transitory and adventurous lifestyle. Along with the Wind Dash Tribe a good number of other shaní decided to venture north for riches and new horizons, including Edge himself, who battled the Ember Bats beside Hinarah the Rider of Sangar. Though his various quests, adventures and his duties to the Winter Council cause him to travel all around Tarandi, the heroes relocated much of his livelihood into the new country and takes an active role in its leadership and in the various local adventures when he isn’t busy abroad.

The shaní brought with them their language, culture and ways of government. For the most part these have dominated in the region, though the influence of the various human cultures has had a strong affect. For example, the language of the Wýnro is the bases of the western trade language that many people across Tarandi can use and understand. The shándole language is commonly spoken, but most people also speak the Wýnro and it is most often used between cultures. The traditions of Elder rule have also been adjusted and adapted to fit a more cosmopolitan community, where not everyone is ageless and lives numerous centuries. Human family structure and blood kinship has also been given more emphasis as well as the roll of parents raising children in society.

Wýnro - Distant Tradesmen

An enigmatic and reserved race of unknown origins, the Wýnro were trading up and down the western coast and through the mountain passes before the era of the Blue Commit. Often seen traveling in caravans or flocks of canoes they’re excellent barters and have connections all over western Tarandi and supposedly over the sea on shores unknown. They seldom settle into towns nor venture around in especially large groups, but are a common and often welcome sight, as they tend to be peaceful and wealthy.

Short and stalky of stature, they seldomly grow taller than 5 and a half feet. Their skin is pale, with very dark almond eyes set wide apart and smooth dark hair. They typically dress in seal skin coasts and bear furs and are very at home on the cold waters and coasts. Their religion is important to them and every wýnro wares a shell neckless and whispers of various superstitions and spirits, but they will never share any details of what they believe and secrecy seems to be a prime aspect of their faith. Just as little is said about their home of origin and cultural history.

Those that agreed to settle in Shilo Vale and swear loyalty to the Winter Council seem to have been part of a religious schism that splintered off the main culture and there is a level of animosity and tension that exist between them and the other Wýnro, but the story isn’t told to outsiders. Nonetheless, despite their secrets, they seem to get along with whomever else they meet on the frontier, easily adapting and adjusting to the culture around them in all ways save religion. They have no interest in practicing or even hearing about any religion except their own.

Dannû – Opportunistic Frontiersmen

A number of ambitious and adventurous people from The Dannu Gaon Tribes agreed to join Shandolé, seeking the opportunities of new homes and wealth in Shilo Vale. Most of them were those without a clan, or smaller sects that had their ambitions eclipsed by the rise of Clan Mak, finding themselves out of favor with the powerful Nocter and Noctrix.

They’re mostly commercially driven, with several flocking to the diamond mines or panning the rivers for riches. Others take bold risks, exploring the mountains and ruins for treasures and hidden wealth, often being the first frontiersmen to establish camps in new locations.

Sangar – Disenfranchised Families Looking for New Beginnings
    In the wake of their civil war and the defeat of Keeper Milah Polahi, a number of Sangar humans found themselves disenfranchised, out of favor and with little political or economic prospects in their native lands. With the blessings of Hinarah, Jia and Perandi, several of these human families agreed to swear allegiance to the Winter Council and relocate to the western coast to seek wealth and a new beginning in Shilo Vale. They are perhaps the most sedentary of the new colonist, playing key roles in establishing and building the new towns and organizing religious and governing centers. Many of them are craftsmen or warriors and have become foundations of new industry and militia in their communities. With strong work ethics and deep religious values, Sangar work to compose a song to mark the start of settlement in the Shio Vale, hoping to pass it down to the generations to follow and are determined to make the most of their fresh start in a new land.

---

Leadership

While the Winter Council in Shandolýn technically governs over the whole of the region, most decisions are actually made on a more local level by town or camp Elders. Rule by Elders as practiced by the Shándole is the officially recognized means of local governance and is practiced in most communities, but some adjustments have been made and a few human traditions of law and order has been incorporated in a areas. Meanwhile, on some of the further frontier camps, very little law and order has been established at all.

Spoiler: Notes on Frontier Governance
    Show

Notes on Frontier Governance

“Elders”
    By Shándole tradition an Elder is defined as someone four hundred years or older. However, as settlements made of mixed human and shándole populations got established, the Winter Council held a long debate on whether or not they should redefine “Elder” in such a way that humans can participate in the local councils and governance of a region. A good number of shaní spoke out against such changes, arguing that relative life spans is irrelevant, and it is unreasonable to judge a mere 60 or 70 years as equal to 4 four centuries in wisdom and experience, regardless of race. However, in the end, the Winter Council did pass a resolution qualifying humans of the age of 60 or older as Elders and giving such individuals the rights and authority granted all Elders within their communities. Nonetheless, its likely a number Shándole Elders shall only burgeoningly accept human Elders as their equals and, while technically this qualifies human to be appointed to the Winter Council, it is unlikely that any humans will be granted such a seat any time this century.

Renegades
    In many camps and smaller settlements officially organized Elder Councils don’t exist. It may be that no Elders are living in the community at all, or simply that such law and order is not getting enforced. Renegade gangs have risen in places, mostly made of younger individuals competent in warfare and charismatic enough to enforce their own authority. These gangs may lead for either good or ill and mostly remain very localized, though a few gangs have taken to roving.

Edge
    In Shandolýn and on the Winter Council Edge has never been especially popular as a leader and his criminal history has led several Shándole to mistrust him. However, in Shilo Vale most people are much more willing to dismiss past sins and mistakes and the story of Edge’s quest against the Ember Bats has made be quite popular and celebrated. This, along with the fact that there are fewer Elders in general who chose to migrate to the Vale, has caused Edge to be very influential in the region and looked up to by many. He seldom has the will or even the opportunity to leverage this influence, but if he wished, he could probably convince much of the population in Shilo Vale to follow him. Other Elders of Shandolýn and the Winter Council, who have noticed this, are not pleased, as Edge’s more violent and non-traditional policies are not viewed very favorably there.

---

History & Mysteries

Spoiler: Lost Ruins
    Show

Lost Ruins

Across Shilo Vale a number of old stone ruins can be found, both on the surface and within underground caverns. Such things exist in Shandolýn as well, but the Vale seems to have many more. The true origin of the ruins is unknown, but it’s thought that they belonged to a lost civilization of Shándole that existed in an era prior to the False Dawn and that it had a much larger in population than the current shaní tribes. No decipherable writing has been discovered, but the emblem of a thorny rose seems to be a common motif among these ruins and the level of stonework and masonry suggests a somewhat more advanced understanding of engineering and architecture, as well as better tools. What other secrets and magics might have belonged to these ancestral people remains a mystery.

Shaman and lore-masters speculate heavily upon these ruins and their implications, but shaní memory of this era is completely erased and trance visions regarding it are very few and hard to interpret. However, it seems clear that the center of this civilization was not in Shandolýn and the Ka River, but in Shilo Vale and that the chaos and Blightspawn of the False Dawn completely destroyed the civilization in this region, leaving only the southern outskirts of fringe tribes and refugees to carry on into the present.

Spoiler: When Edge and Hinarah Quenched the Skies
    Show

When Edge and Hinarah Quenched the Skies

Shortly after the coming of the Blue Commit, the Dream Speakers explored the region of Shilo Vale and discovered it was blighted by the Ember Bats.

“The Ember Bats are terrible opponents, horse-sized chiropteran creatures composed entirely of fiery flesh and obsidian bone. Alighting on the stormy air around their nest, no conventional force has a hope of prevailing.”

~ M’Ká’acindi’tonyóndersan of the Dream Speakers

For several years no one dared to travel north to face these creatures, but eventually, M’Eld’Quêth’Dóah – I Face the Edge of Darkness – took up the challenge. At his side rode Hinarah of Sangar, whose youth and stature belied his stout heart. Passing beyond the edge of Shandolé’s territory, it was not long before they felt the biting kiss of ashfall from the mountains. Storm clouds wreathed the horizon, lit from within by the baleful light of the blightspawn and given eternal life by the noxious fumes of their nest. The first attack came two weeks into their expedition, a lone Ember Bat descending like a comet from the night sky in search of easy prey. It died disappointed, skull crushed by a sling stone launched by ancient hand, and the two heroes hurried on their way as its body disintegrated into burning putrescence. Thus, began their long struggle towards the bats’ nest, assailed day and night by hunters trailing a pyroclastic fume in their wake. As hours of battle turn to days, then weeks, Edge and Hinarah slowed their pace, fatigue stalking at their back even as the Ember Bats grow more numerous. Eventually, staggering beneath a layer of soot that clots their wounds, the two stood atop a ridge overlooking the smoking caldera.

An eternal fire red as blood lights their path from then on, passing from shadow to shadow beneath the notice of dozens of Ember Bats as they sought the smoking crevasses that led to the heart of the volcano. Down they climbed, further and further still into the beating heart of the mountains, until from darkness they emerged into caverns drawn from the nightmares of a madman. The stone of the Ember Bats’ lair had twisted into strangely organic formations, at once reminiscent of their fading dreams of home and deeply repugnant. Had either man been blessed with a full belly, they might have lost it passing through those bloated arcades, but the righteousness of their task guided them on. Here and there they found pockets of Ember Bats clinging to the ceiling, the walls, twitching in a deathly sleep. They rarely wake alive, and in the scattered bones and cinders of their nests the heroes discovered mounds of unpolished crystal hard as a Sentinel’s rod - diamond.

This discovery proved the end of the Ember Bats, for as Edge and Hinarah skulked through their domain they took the sharpest of the gems to the pillars and walls, carving great bleeding gouges in stone that proved near as soft as flesh. Charting a path around the fiery pit of the volcano, they eventually succeed in preparing their trap. With a mighty roar, they roused the full horde of the Ember Bats from their rest, and in their alarm the Blightspawn do the work of a hundred miners. Walls collapsed beneath flailing wings, stalactites fell like the hammers of the gods, and as more and more Ember Bats rebounded to die in the boiling magma the earth itself heaved. Spending the last of their strength, the heroes retreated, even as the earth itself joined their fight. By some miracle, Edge and Hinarah reached their pinnacle overlook just as the volcano finally exploded, a blast that sends them to the ground with bone-crushing force and consumed the last of the Ember Bats in a fiery embrace.

Spoiler: The Crystal Cave Camps & The Ka Snatchers
    Show

The Crystal Cave Camps & The Ka Snatchers (Evil Spirits)

At a cave in the NE mountains of the region, prospectors found ruins and several large crystals, both diamonds and amethysts. Some raw, but also many already cut, presumably by the people who had created the ruins. The cave system is large and deep and has yet to be fully explored, though it seems to have been a site of a significant underground settlement at one point, with crumbled constructions of stone and old houses carved from the very sides of the cavern walls.

News of the ruins and especially of the large crystals drew a good number of prospectors, even out to these remote edges of the region, but they began encountering troubles almost right away. People and animals went missing, disturbing reports of phantom sights and sounds circulated and then the murders began happening. Without any seeming motive or forewarning a number of people began killing others. Most victims were human and their bodies were discovered desecrated with their throats cut inside the cavern. Eventually, some perpetrators were caught, but most denied it, claiming to have no memory the horrific events and confessing only to “blackouts” in their memories. Those few who confessed, however, shed light on a disturbing phenomenon. When cornered, one murder laughed maliciously and spoke in a strange dialect. It was Shándole, but odd with archaic words and an unfamiliar accent. She confessed to killing the “filthy humans” and proclaimed, “Thou art all ignorant beyond measure and kin nary where ye stand, nor the power of those who reside here still!”

Some further questioning and investigations was done and people soon concluded that the caves were haunted by evil spirits able to possess the bodies of others. How this was happening and how many people had already become possessed was unknown, but it set off a panic in the camps with no one certain who could be trusted. Shaman directed people to ware name chips close their own skin, for a symbolic strong tie to their own identity in the hopes that it will keep the spirits from being able to take over. They also advised loudly repeating the full name of someone you know and are close to three times over to help them fight off possession and cast the spirits out. But primarily shaman recommended that people leave the area. This advice was promptly followed, and the camps were abandoned for the time being.

However, rumors of the spirits, the caves and the large crystals to be found there continue to be told. It is also possible that a number of people who were there, may still be possessed and not be whom they appear to be. The true nature and motives of these spirits is a mystery.

Spoiler: Seaswathed Singers
    Show

Seaswathed Singers (Magical Creature)

Found off the coasts particularly in the northern waters around the Nenaí’Antcíjomah – Ember Bat Islands, are some strange creatures. From a distance they appear very beautiful, with an upper torso appearing like young men or women with bioluminescent wings of blues, greens, opal and black at their hips and simmering fish tales. They sing with beautiful voices hauntingly alluring melodies, as they sit on rocks and crags, or circle slowly in the air a few feet above the water.

However, once someone gets closer their forms shimmer and change, like a dissolving mirage and the creatures are revealed to be emaciated, haggard things with large mouths containing wickedly sharp teeth, clawed hands and slimy skin the colors of putrid greys, whites and blacks. They show neither mercy nor sentience, attacking in droves, clawing, biting and trying to drag people into the water to be devoured.

A resemblance to the Skyclad Dancers has been noted, as they are of similar size and the abilities to fly, shapeshift and sing in beautiful voices are all things they hold in common. However, these creatures aren’t awakened to the higher level of intelligence the Dancers have and seem driven by an unending hunger and malicious craving for flesh and blood. It’s been considered that these “Seaswathed Singers” are some kind of cursed flock of aquatic dancers, possibly similar to the twisted spirits of the Banished found in Shandolýn (cursed elven spirits).

Fishermen and sailors are warned to never approach these creatures and to turn around if they hear their singing, but the haunting beauty and allure of those voices, still draw many foolish souls to their death in the northern waters.

Spoiler: Shanánîar’Athân - Hooded-Lady-Seal
    Show

Shanánîar’Athân - Hooded-Lady-Seal (Magical Spirit)

A shané fishman called Zaní’Glicka’Á’Lafá’Á’Lyndi - Watching Reflections of the Moon on the Ocean – was one of the first frontiersmen to settle in Shilo Vale. He made a home on the Nenaí’Cahnîg – Crag Islands, where he kept a watchtower and a fishing boat. Seals often came to the beach near his tower and he watched them with growing interest and amusement, getting to know the pod and appreciating the company for what it was worth. For he was quite lonely on the island. Then one day he noticed a shaná walking on the beach among the seals, dressed only in a long sealskin cloak with a large hood.

Concerned that she was the victim of a shipwreck, he went to help her. She spoke with difficulty in faltering Shándole and seemed confused. She said her name was Shanánîar’Athân – Lady-seal in a Hood –, but couldn’t answer any other questions he put to her. Á’Lafá’Á’Lyndi did what he could to help her, providing some food, more clothing and speaking to her about casual things, for, though she had difficulty speaking, she seemed to understand him well and be comforted by his voice.

He promised to help her find her way home and she took his hand and squeezed it gratefully, large brown eyes filling with tears, but a soft smile on her lips. That night he gave her a place to trance and departed to his own meditations. However, when he’d finished and went to check on her, Shanánîar was gone. Frightened for her safety, he searched his tower and the surrounding shores, but could find no sign of her, only the unseal pod of seals sleeping on the beach and playing in the waves. Á’Lafá’Á’Lyndi was greatly distressed and determined to search the whole of the island come sunrise, preparing his traveling pack. For two days he walked all over the island and found it barren. There was no one but him on all its shores. Finally, he could only conclude that Shanánîar must have wandered off in the dark and drown and returned to his tower very disheartened. To his surprise, however, Shanánîar was standing on the beach near his door and smiled to see him returning home. He asked her where she’d been and what had happened and she could not explain. All she said was “I missed ye, so a’here I am.” He didn’t understand, but his heart was filled with peace and happiness when she smiled, so he did not press her further.

He made her a meal and they spoke long into the night, struggling with a language barrier but finding the company easy nonetheless, laughing and smiling together. The next day, Á’Lafá’Á’Lyndi took her to the mainland and asked at Tól’Thaláurên’Cahnîg – Town of Craggy Falls – if anyone knew her or knew about a recent shipwreck. No one did and they said no boats had come nor been expected in several moons. Shanánîar quickly grew exhausted walking around the town and asked that they go back to the island. Not knowing where else to take her, Á’Lafá’Á’Lyndi brought her back home to his tower, all the more confused and uncertain about her nature.

She drew close to him that night, running her hand through his hair and he wrapped his arms about her shoulders, his heart filling with a fondness that was deeper than he’d ever known. And yet there was something sad and anxious wavering just beyond his understanding; something that told him things wouldn’t be alright. Yet, still, he knew that he loved her.

She disappeared after that night. This time Á’Lafá’Á’Lyndi was less surprised and watched the shores and waves, going about his work in silence and anxiety. A couple days later, he came out of his tower in the morning to find her standing by, greeting him with a smile. She could not say where she’d been.

This continued on, with Shanánîar appearing on the shore, staying a few days and then vanishing for a few days. Á’Lafá’Á’Lyndi could not fathom where she disappeared too, but begin to resent it more and more, wanting to be with her always. Finally, he watched her carefully and saw her one night, as the moon was rising. She stepped to the shore and pulled her hooded cloak up and about her and, as she did, she changed, turning into one of the seals. He realized then that she was a calah, a spirit of the ocean bound to the seals and the waves. He did not tell her of his discovery, but held it in his heart, considering. His love was deep, but it was also jealous. He witnessed her transformations several more times and a plan formed in his ka. One day, while she was meditating, he took her cloak and hid it away in the chimney of his fireplace.

When Shanánîar came out of trance she missed it immediately and search everywhere, asking Á’Lafá’Á’Lyndi where it was, but he said he didn’t know and even helped her search, but in vain. Shanánîar wept, though she said she didn’t understand why. She was confused and shaken and Á’Lafá’Á’Lyndi comforted her.

As he’d hoped, she did not return to the ocean. Without her cloak she remained in shaní form and with him at his tower. But there was a sadness about her, a wistful confusion. Á’Lafá’Á’Lyndi felt some pang of guilt and considered that maybe he should tell her the truth and return her cloak to her, but was frightened she would be so angry she would leave for good. Then Shanánîar became pregnant and a son was born and Á’Lafá’Á’Lyndi knew he would never tell Shanánîar the truth. She was too precious and the family they’d made too important to him. He’d love her for a thousand years and keep her as his own forever, even if it meant keeping her very Ka his captive.

They named their son, M’Clâggen’Híahní – I Stepped from the Waves.

Spoiler: Klicé’Nichí’Á’Melôdí - Wolf Racing the Lights
    Show

Klicé’Nichí’Á’Melôdí - Wolf Racing the Lights (Magical Spirit)

Frost wolves are malicious creatures feared throughout Shandolé, but, as frontiersmen settled in Shilo Vale, rumors of a peculiar frost wolf began to spread. Like others of her kind, she was very large and snowy white with frosty blue eyes, but she didn’t lead a savage pack and neither did she descend with hatful freezing breath upon any two-leg in her territory.

Seen running in the distance under the northern lights, she once frightened a camp of prospectors, howling at a distance and threatening them so much they packed up and moved to the shelter of some caves a distance off. That very night an avalanche shook the mountain and the place where the prospectors had been camped was completely buried. Moving camps had most assuredly saved their lives.

Another time a family of Sangar got lost in a blizzard. Freezing and exhausted they were ready to give up and accept their fate, but the huge snowy wolf appeared, her fur shining as if reflecting the auroras, even though the sky was completely blanked out by snow. Her howls sent spikes of terror through them and they fled before her, despite their exhaustion, only to stumble right into a nearby camp. One they never would have found on their own through the blizzard. When the snows died down and the family were warm in safe in the care of the camp, they again saw the frost wolf in the distance, looking down from a ridge, the auroras above her flashing in silent approval. The family knew if she hadn’t chased them, they’d be frozen corpses buried in the cold mountains. The Sangar mother composed a song that night in gratitude.

Other stories of lost travelers being chased or led to safety were told, as well as stories of the wolf bringing warnings or fending off evil spirits. In all of them the strange frost wolf remained at a distance, seen running under the northern lights or standing poised in the freezing winds, her coat reflecting colorful lights that weren’t there. The people of Shilo Vale started calling her Klicé’Nichí’Á’Melôdí - Wolf Racing the Lights. Some claim she is a guardian servant of Eauden. Others say she is a can’calah in her own right, a magical spirit dedicated to protecting people from the dangers of the cruel winter.

---

Map

---
    Last edited by Laura; 2020-09-28 at 11:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
    Dark, there was discussion in discord about region 44 and how it probably should have been under fog-of-war but wasn't. You suggested making it wilderness. Was that a final decision, or are you still thinking about how to handle it?

(Also, in case you missed it, the tables have a great source of cloth in the region, presumably left over from the original draft write-up that never got finished. Cloth sounds nice and useful, but it just seems wrong to have a great source of it in the wilderness.)
    I think we'll finalize it's status as a wilderness region, if only to prevent anyone from having to reveal a piece of the map that's spent the entire game revealed. However, you're right that the resource there doesn't make much sense in a Wilderness region. As such, I believe I'll declare its TP to actually be a Great source of Amber.

Show

I will admit this is a use case that didn't occur to me on designing the rule! It certainly wasn't my intention to make every player take three great projects each to interact with the world at large. How I believe we should handle it is to allow the penalty reduction to anyone who participates in the initial Great Project. Afterwards, the Great Project will function as something of an additional Tier 0 tech that can be traded to players who lack it, or may be unlocked by those players by completing a new Great Project of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Hermicus View Post
    Question for the GM team:

If two different players are attacking a region together, and each one sends a hero, can the hero that is not leading the battle participate in a duel?
    Another use case I hadn't considered! What seems fair to me for occupying a Hero is that the Hero (or Heroes) not leading the battle may make a TN 12 hero check as part of their military action to apply the +2 aid bonus to the duel.

I'll be making a pass at region approvals later tonight.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    I was giving myself some time to stew on the Round Opener results before mentioning this. I'm glad that Aventine is gaining an advantage for his Colonize attempt in Region 41. He did put in effort to (a) beat the Uzii and stop them from taking the region and (b) start claiming it.

I look forward to the chance that you roll low and I can maybe roll high to sweep in and get the region

(It's a very small chance, and much smaller now, but it's plausible.)

That said... I've had a bit of time to consider the opener. I found that Homage Death-Grasp's glorious demise of jumping into the face of a Blightspawn was both humbling and satisfying. Thank you very much Dark for what I presume was your write-up (considering it was a big PLOT element). I know that the GM Team works hard on Openers, and the Head GM has additional responsibilities. So thank you.

Spoiler: Gengy Gripes For a Bit
    Show
    Buuuuuutttt... After winning a battle at 20+ or more - against a story-based enemy that they had righteous fury towards, - kicking the kiester of a Commander that was giving Zayuz some trouble, and finding the nest of a Blightspawn while being a [email protected] about it, the Uzii army gets...

...a cool story bro?

A whole lot of, mechanically, nothing. They watched their war leader die, they watched a giant blightspawn fly away, and then this huge army of (at that moment) 4 Units of Uzii and Hraban both looked at each other and said, "Well, that was fun. I hear there's a good waffle place in 42. Wanna get waffles?" and then walked off. (*Note, waffles probably an exaggeration.) The stated intent to claim the region was completely ignored in the face of a giant blightspawn owl dragon.

Which, I guess, if it hadn't died in the same opener, would make sense because heck, it would have made Region 33 a good region to be a "Blighted Region". And maybe that was implied a couple rounds ago and I missed it, but it was never explicitly stated. I've looked in all the openers since 33 was revealed. Multiple times. This lack of clarity led me to believe that I could claim the region after winning. From a fluff standpoint though, I get it. There's no one left in the region and it needs to be repopulated.

I just think that an invading army that was here to not only destroy flower zombies but also subjugate protect whatever was left of the locals would have stuck around, maybe established a forward camp for colonization or something. And I was trying to come into this with a reasoned viewpoint, but I think I lost my thread there. Probably because I do support the decision that Aventine should be rewarded for the effort he put into Region 41 somehow but at the same time, feel like the Uzii deserve some mechanical benefit towards 33 as well. Yet it is hard for me to ask for such a thing without making it sound like I'm whining or griping.

I won the battle and personally asked for my leader to be offed. I got a cool story out of it. And no region. Or benefit. Or even a cool new Blightspawn enemy to swear eternal hatred towards as a race, because the The Heavenly Amaryllis Dragon got offed by another Blightspawn (?) in the same round as it showed up. Don't get me wrong, the Uzii want to fight the Storm Bird now, but that's less "You killed our leader!" and more "Damn, that's big. I wanna kill it!"

So yeah. I guess, even after 24 hours of letting me cool my heels, I'm still a bit upset that I get a whole lotta nothing for winning a region in such a big manner and helping to stop a major Mamut Event.

I deeply - deeply - respect this team and community, and this tiny of a thing is barely a blip on the radar for me in the long run. If the final decision is that the Uzii just get a pat on the back and a thumbs up from Papi GM, I'll swallow any minor annoyances I have and get over it. Again.

Do you think the Uzii could maybe get a bonus too in Region 33? Or something for their efforts there? Thank you for reviewing this.

-----------------

Additionally, and slightly related, but only in as much as I maybe have misunderstood the rules (again) I asked a question in Discord but no one seemed to have a concrete answer for it. So I'm highlighting it here.

I guess my question(s) come in a few different parts, depending on where I am wrong.

1. Is my math correct; should the Hraban and the Uzii not have lost any units?
    2. If my math is wrong, where did I misunderstand how a - to use an old term - Coalition loses units?
    3. If a Coalition does lose units based on the Total Number of Units (in this case, 6) and not what they each brought individually (3 each), does that take away from each player the same number of units (0.6 units out of 3) or should it be a loss based on the Coalition Total Unit Count (0.6 units out of 6 total)?

Thank you!
    Gengy, I note your questions but the battle results were all done by Dark while I was asleep so I can't answer what happened there.
    So while my math based question was answered in Discord (Math was right, we just lost units because it was a Blightspawn! Nothing I could do!) I still feel like the other part of my OOC post was missed.

Considering that my emotions and reaction to the opener has not changed since last Monday... a possible mistaken miss of - to me - an important question? Feels bad.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got my Master's Degree for games (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

21. - Top - End - #411
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Another use case I hadn't considered! What seems fair to me for occupying a Hero is that the Hero (or Heroes) not leading the battle may make a TN 12 hero check as part of their military action to apply the +2 aid bonus to the duel.
    Oh, I think you misunderstood my question. I was asking whether the hero not leading could be the one "doing" the duel, with the hero in command not being involved at all. Sorry about the confusion.
    Formerly known as the_brazenburn.

Played New Bhule in Empire!4
    Played as the Rothuun Galactic Hegemony in Empire!5
    Currently playing Empire!6 as the United Blemmyae Tribes

PM me sometime!

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    So while my math based question was answered in Discord (Math was right, we just lost units because it was a Blightspawn! Nothing I could do!) I still feel like the other part of my OOC post was missed.

Considering that my emotions and reaction to the opener has not changed since last Monday... a possible mistaken miss of - to me - an important question? Feels bad.
    An important question I intended to answer after region review, had my internet not cut out last night. Sorry again to have you wake up seemingly ignored. While my intent was not to cheat you in Region 33, the numerous failed attempts to resolve the situation had pushed me to decide the region would become Wilderness before you'd taken the action to invade it. I realize this is a surprise, and perhaps a frustrating one, but it is in my nature as GM to periodically do such things without alerting players until they have cause to discover the information IC. As a comparison to Aventine's situation, I granted him a bonus because he had prior investment in the region that the shift towards Wilderness had nullified. While your battle result was impressive, it was also the first action expenditure by the Uzii towards that region. While I know you and electriccat have devoted many actions towards the Amaryllis with no tangible benefit, your actions did make a difference behind the screen in preventing the flower zombie problem from being even worse. While I respect your desire for some mechanical reflection of how much you crushed it in 33, the mechanic in place to reflect that was awarded in place of nil battle casualties. Which, ultimately, swings around to your dissatisfaction with the main reward being story, which I am not trying to ignore, but in my opinion cool stories are the primary currency of the game. If we don't see eye to eye on this, that's legitimate and I'll keep it in mind, but one reason I didn't hesitate to carry through my initial plans for the resolution to the Amaryllis was due to the amount of spotlight it has afforded yours and electriccat's worldbuilding and the IC status that should come from being the ones to finally pierce the heart of the infestation. Which is all a rather extensive way of saying that the round opener remains accurate, but I'm not asking you to suck it up so much as trying to explain my headspace when I was coming to that decision. I will admit I did hesitate when "stealing the kill" on the Dragon, but in my opinion the event had run its course and it proved a dramatic way to introduce a more enduring element to Mamut's sphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Hermicus View Post
    Oh, I think you misunderstood my question. I was asking whether the hero not leading could be the one "doing" the duel, with the hero in command not being involved at all. Sorry about the confusion.
    Sorry for not being clearer. The battle leader must be the one to duel - I was simply laying out how sending a second hero could potentially still contribute.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

Epinephrine_Syn: The Land of Thanks (Region 289) is approved. The Orcan Coastal Territories (Region 281) are approved. The Serpentine Hill Zone (Region 282) will be approved once "chocobos" are renamed and a line specifying chicky dees as the mechanical resource is added per our discussions. Addition of claim fluff is noted, Region 282 is stabilized.

D&D_Fan: Xakor (Region 311) is approved with the new information.

bc56: The Adzbak Wetlands (Region 228) are approved. Flaschorikia (Region 229) is approved.

Tentreto: Bluestohe (Region 132) is approved.

Tychris: The Bloody Hills (Region 138) are approved.

Laura: Dól’Shilo (Region 114) is approved.

Silent_Interim: Arkusa (Region 65) is approved. Ol'Kolsa (Region 50) is approved.

Aventine: Wēkache (Region 47) is approved.

Please add approved regions to the Lands thread, and thank you everyone for your patience.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2020-09-30 at 02:58 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
    Spoiler: Region 47: Wēkache
    Show
    Wēkache
    Region 47
    Show
    The eastern half of Wēkache is covered by dense, mostly coniferous temperate rainforest. The majority of the forest is inhabited only by small bands of elves, who prefer to leave as little evidence of their presence as possible. The forests are green, wet, and filled with life. Deer and elk are plentiful, as are boars, bears, cougars and lynx. The Sọ́kǎu have established a small settlement on the short coastline. A good natural harbor protected on the land side by a rocky hill, the site had been used for decades as a hideout for raiders. Only recently has a more permanent settlement been established, and has been given the unofficial name of Tšhíj Gọ̀u.

Further west into the center of the region, the land rises into hills and low mountains. The hilly highlands stretch westward, eventually dropping quickly as they approaches the river. The rocky hills and higlands are much less densely forested, especially further west. But what the hills lack in forests, they make up for in goats and goatherders. Small farming villages can also be found scattered around in valleys, but it is ubiquitous goats that life for the hill tribes revolve around.

In the southwest, there is a narrow fringe of lowland running along the river. The fertile soil is heavily farmed by cousins of the goatherding hill people. Productive and prosperous, it is the most densely populated region of Wēkache.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    Elves
    The dense forest in the east is populated by small bands of elves. Patient and stealthy hunters, they are more adept at sudden and overwhelming bursts of energy than prolonged exertion and tire quickly if forced into a long, sustained effort. When hunting or fighting they prefer to use ambush and poison, usually delived by blowgun darts. Their vision is better than humans' in dim or dark conditions, and they prefer to do most of their hunting around twilight, disliking bright daylight.

The elves believe all animals have spirits, and reject the idea that there is any meaningful difference between people and animals. They also believe that when an animal is eaten, its spirit passes into those who ate it. Eating the dead is seen as a way to allow their spirit to live on, while also allowing their power to pass on to their eaters. They claim that in the past they were even able to gain the memories of the dead this way. But the ability to do so was itself gained by eating someone with the power, and was lost to the elves several decades after the False Dawn. Nevertheless, they continue to eat their dead, and if given the opportunity will eat dead members of other bands, and even outsiders, in order to capture their spirit and strength. Refusing to eat a dead animal is a serious insult, and ensuring that nobody can eat it is an extreme act, as it prevents the spirit from living on and causes it to die a true death. Unlike animals, plants are considered to not have spirits. While the elves will eat plants, they consider them less worthy food due to the lack of spirit, and meat should always be the centerpiece of a proper meal.

Though the elves can live for hundreds of years, there are currently no known to be a century and a half old. In the decades after the False Dawn, a strange disease spread among the elves. It first appeared as a muscle tremors and difficulty with control of fine movements, including speech. As the disease progressed, the infected became weaker and weaker. After a year they would become unable to move, and eventually die. Those who ate dead victims of the disease reported that their memories of the later stages of the disease were strange and disturbing. A rare meeting of leaders from all the bands concluded that everyone alive at the time of the False Dawn had been corrupted. In order to prevent the corruption from spreading and continuing, they had no choice but to break the chain of memories and ban all those who had been alive during the Dawn, or carried their memories, from being eaten. Over the next several decades, everyone who had the memories of the Dawn eventually succumbed to the disease. But the ban succeeded, and the disease has disappeared, along with the ability to pass on memories.

Humans
    The highlands in the west and center of the region are populated by tribes of humans, related to the humans of the far north of [Region 45]. Semi-nomadic pastoralist goat herders, they periodically travel between summer grazing areas higher in the hills and winter dwellings in valleys. The rugged terrain makes travel through much of the hilly region difficult, and many of the tribes and villages are significantly isolated, even from their closest neighbors. Isolation has cultivated a great variety of culture and language; different groups often find communication difficult, and tend to be distrustful of each other. Generally, though, they are hardy and resilient, and all the tribes prize endurance and dogged determination.

Relatives of some of the hill tribes also live in the lowlands along the river. More sedentary than in the hills, they rely more on agriculture than goats for food. Though both of the two groups recognize the close relation between them, they also look down on each other. The highlanders see the lowlanders as soft, unable to handle proper life in the hills, while the lowlanders consider the hill tribes to be uncultured.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show
    Goats are common in the hilly and mountainous central and western parts of Wēkache. The hill tribes rely heavily on domesticated goats for food and clothes. The people of the western lowlands also keep goats, though they are much less reliant on them.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    There is little organized religion in the region. The elves emphasize the spirits of animals, denying that non-animals possess spirits. The spirits of the dead pass into those who eat them, and are able to live on through them. Carnivores are respected and revered, since they have accumulated the spirits and strength of those they have killed and eaten. While on the other hand herbivores are looked down on as weak, only containing their own, original spirit. Dying without being eaten dooms the soul to a true death and is considered to be a terrifying prospect. The most important rituals relate to hunting and death. As a rite of passage in order to become an adult, a young elf must leave their band and survive alone in the forest for a time. In their time alone, the new adult decides on a particular predatory animal to adopt as a totem, and eventually returns with an impressive kill to share with the band. Popular choices for totem animal include: bears, cougars, lynx, birds of prey such as eagles, owls, hawks and falcons, and a large, venomous viper native to the region.

The humans follow animist ideas, and believe that all things, both clearly living and seemingly non-living, possess spirits and are animate. All of nature and natural phenomenon are caused or controlled by some spirit or other. Appeasing powerful spirits is important in order to ensure good fortune and avoid disasters. The exact details of the relevant rituals tend to vary from tribe to tribe, but all rely on shamans to assist in communing with spirits. Small shrines can commonly be found in the hills, raised to some local spirit and with small offerings left by travelers. A handful of major shrines, with dedicated priests and settlements growing around them, have developed over the years as well.

Holy Center: Native Animism

The highest peak in the region, called by the nearby hill tribes Ākāro, is highly regarded by both humans and elves. Distant but visible in the eastern forests, the elves claim the summit is the roost of a massive and ancient owl. A deadly predator with a voracious appetite, it is also seen as a protector: hunting blightspawn and other twisted, corrupted things. There is ongoing debate regarding whether the blue comet was the Great Owl purging the skies of the last remnants of corruption, or the Owl leaving and thus a sign of worse things to come. The human tribes worship the spirit of the mountain, which also holds power over the sky and weather, though some more distant tribes downplay its importance. The mountain is home to the largest and most significant shrine in the region: one of the few to attract attention and pilgrimage from all tribes.

I have elves here, so an explanation for why nobody is old enough to remember the False Dawn was needed. I think what I have works well, but there is a lot of magic involved. Both in their former ability to take the memories of the dead, and in the fact that everyone who could have remembered the Dawn got killed off by magical kuru.

Region 45 needs some more work, so will come later.
    So Dark doesn't have to go track it down...

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

Gengy: Rhödödendräk (Region 40) is mostly good to go. There is one thing - I can deal with some puns, but please for me put a coat of paint over "Cheese Wiz."

Cäuplakai (Region 42) is also mostly good. I am curious if the horns are a universal trait or a sign of sexual dimorphism, but that's just curiosity.
    Updates, see below!

Cheese Wiz changed to Cheese Viz, short for Cheese Vizier.

Male Cäu have horns ending in sharp points, while female Cäu have horns ending in rounded tips; the few female warriors sharpen their horns for battle. There is no difference in size between genders.

Spoiler: Rhödödendräk
    Show
    Rodrak (Rhödödendräk)
    Homeland of Farming Stones

Region 40
    Spoiler: Summary
    Show

Region Name: Rhödödendräk (Rodrak)
    Brief Description: A diverse landscape of farming, fishing, and cheese.
    People: Uzii / Humans
    Resource: Cheese (Great)
    Faith: Ivenism

Local Leader: The Cheese Viz

Spoiler: Geography
    Show
    Rhödödendräk – which means Homeland of Farming Stones – is a place of diverse geography. To the northeast is the vast Iven Delta, which is a place of fertile waters for fishing both fresh water and saltwater fish. To the west are great pools of what starts briefly as a small swamp, but develops into shallow lakes that feed lush forests. These forests are densest in the northwest, but as Rhödödendräk spans further towards the south and east, getting closer and closer to the Great She Koso – a local name for the ocean - the land becomes more and more open. The shallow lakes break into small streams that are perfect for the many sparse farming villages that sprawl throughout the region.

The green farmlands are broken up only by the occasional groupings of trees which aren’t quite large enough to be called forests, and natural quarries of flat grey slate rocks. The locals call these rocks graystone and build the floors of their homes from them. The rest of the houses that dot the land are made from thatch and the dried mud that can be scraped from the stones after a long rain.

Most of the farms in Rhödödendräk have several goats and are very protective of them. The land itself is wild with the species, and the Dendräkki see even the wild goats as important animals.

Show
    The people of Rhödödendräk are the Dendräkki, and to hear them tell the story, they were outcasts from two different lands. A Sounder Alpha from a now defeated and forgotten Uzii Snort to the west of the region brought his whole Sounder to Rhödödendräk and took up residence in the shallow lakes. Humans who claim to have come from the north, after being chased out by the seafaring Sọ́kǎu, were already living in the farmlands. When the Red Dawn occurred, the two races banded together to survive… and thrive. The Uzii took the duties of protecting the peace, helping with hunting in the forests, and were surprised to learn they liked living in homes made of mud and thatch. The Humans build things, tend farms, and go fishing, delighting in teaching the Uzii of the region that being patient for a fish dinner only makes it taste better.

At this point, after many generations of working together, the two races are one people. Neither considers their ancestral homes as important as their current home; the place they fought for during the time of red skies. Their ancestors aren’t from distant lands but are what made Rhödödendräk a home. They are the Dendräkki – the ground stones – and they are proud of it.

Spoiler: Government
    Show
    There are a large number of villages throughout the land of the Dendräkki, and while each village differs in many different ways, the local headsman of each village is almost always a human. This is not because of their great wisdom or strength, but because the humans tend the farms, and the contest to win the right to make decisions in a village is always based on whomever makes the best cheese.

To become a Cheese Head, these valuable individuals toil the land, and the Uzii of the village – almost always led by the local Den Mothers – see to it that every five years no one tries to cheat when making cheese. Everyone has to use whatever they make from their own lands and bartering for something not of your lands is strictly frowned upon during the competition times. Judges comes from neighboring villages, to ensure as much impartiality as possible.

Every twelve years, any Cheese Head that wishes to do so may partake in a realm-wide competition to be named the Cheese Viz; this individual leads the Rhödödendräk council and helps settle disputes between villages should they arise. The Cheese Viz (short for Cheese Vizier) is aided by a council consisting of a veteran shipwright, an Ivenism Uzii Shaman, a long lived Uzii Hunter, and a female family member of the previous Cheese Viz.

Recently, this council made the decision that they could not combat an entire trained Fight Throng from Swampum, and decided that – even those most of the new Uzii could not pronounce their country’s name – they would allow the Homage to have chiefdom over them. There is some grumbling that the newer Uzii have started to call their home Rodrak, but having their own boar-men, the Dendräkki are familiar that it takes time for the more focused (and sometimes simple) minds to learn new things.

Other than an influx of more Uzii in the region – curious to find boar-men that don’t live like them – not much has changed… yet.

Show
    [Cheese] (Great)

The Dendräkki are quite proud of the variety of cheeses that they can make and are more than happy to share samples with visitors and travelers. However, if a traveler wants more than a few slices, the Dendräkki require bartering of some kind. Be it treasures, exotic items, or what have you, the Dendräkki are happy to make a deal… but are zealously guarded towards giving away their cheese for free. After all, they need some of their own for their various Cheese Head and Cheese Viz competitions!

Most of the cheese produced are of a flaky white and yellow variety, and Rhödödendräk cheeses can generally be identified by their sharp, slight earthy flavor, as well as the block like shape they are sold in to non-Dendräkki due to the roughly hewn, square, wooden crates used to help transport them in goat drawn carts.

Show
    Ivenism was the primary faith of the region, celebrating the life and teachings of one of the first humans to have said to have settled in the area. According to ancient traditions, Iven was a simple man, who enjoyed simple things. Farming, helping neighbors, raising goats, and making cheese. The Uzii whom came to Rhödödendräk see Iven as the regional ancestor spirit. The humans see Iven as an ancient wise man, with lots of good teachings for being humble.

Either way, the region generally followed these traditions for many years, until the Hraban convinced everyone that Melding was a stronger faith, and could perhaps allow the Shaman of the region to connect with Iven himself.

Spoiler: Cäuplakai
    Show
    Cow Place (Cäuplakai)
    The Blue Hills

Region 42
    Spoiler: Summary
    Show

Region Name: Cäuplakai (Cow Place)
    Brief Description: Blue colored grass hills and plateaus, with nomadic oxen followed by deer horned humans.
    People: Cäu (Pronounced: /kou/)
    Resource: Cattle (Minor)
    Faith: Ancestral Worship

Leader: Council of Elder Cäu

Spoiler: Geography
    Show
    Cäuplakai – literally meaning The Blue Hills – is a place filled with many hills and valleys, separated by large flat plains. The grass of the area is a mix between greens and blues, and in the spring, with the wind blowing just right, it looks like an ocean on land. The people whom live their call themselves the Cäu, and they are nomadic. The various tribes of Cäu travel between the out cropping of hills, taking only what they need from the land as they go.

There are large groups of wild oxen that the Cäu follow behind and help protect in times of trouble, but the tribes do not lay claim to the cattle. They need the herds to eat, to clothe themselves, to make simple tools of bone, and spears for their own hunting. Trees in Cäuplakai are sparse, and usually signs of a lake or watering hole in the area. Near to the western and south western rivers are the most popular locations to winter in, as an easy source of water. To the southeast, however, are unpopular wintering spots, as the water is often dirtier from the swamps beyond where the Cäu do not go.

Cäuplakai has a diverse wildlife, with many hawks and eagles hunting the various lizards and hares that live in the blue hills. The most dangerous beast is the Hill Cat, a large green-blue-furred predator that tends to hunt the sick and weakly oxen. A Hill Cat normally hunts alone, and only comes close to another Hill Cat if it is mating season. After which, the two genders tend to separate, and the mother raises the young cub until they can hunt on their own. Hill Cats prefer living on the tops of the tallest hills they can find, and when not hunting, sun themselves from within the blue and green grass. Cäu warn travelers as best they can to stay away from any holes in the hill tops, as those are dens that a Hill Cat has dug for itself.

Show
    The people of Cäuplakai are the Cäu. Sun tanned humans, standing at an average height of five and a half feet tall, the major difference between a regular human and a Cäu are the small, deer-like horns that grow from the foreheads of the Cäuplakai natives. These horns grow more with age, but even the oldest Cäu do not have horns bigger than the size of their own hands. Male Cäu have horns ending in sharp points, while female Cäu have horns ending in rounded tips; the few female warriors sharpen their horns for battle. There is no difference in size between genders.

Cäu are nomadic and stay together in tribes that can get up to almost a thousand nomads, but often no more than that. Too much more, and the tribe cannot sustain itself. When this starts to happen, a Cäu Elder – marked by their larger horns – will often gather half of the tribe and split into a new tribe, heading far away from their former family.

Cäu culture is to live at peace with the land, and hunt only as needed to survive. They occasionally war with other tribes, and while these battles are often fierce, they are short, and usually caused by one tribe wanting something the other has; be it rights to a wintering spot, be it a particular herd of oxen to follow, or perhaps it is a particularly fetching female Cäu that a young hunter wants as a wife. Cäu are not known to hold grudges. They deal with their emotions swiftly, and get it over with so that they may move on with their day.

The nomads prefer to eat from the cattle they follow sparingly, as each of the wild oxen is seen as a former member of the Cäu. When needed, however, their ancestors will provide them with an aging ox to help the currently living Cäuplakai natives survive; each time is a party for the whole tribe. So the stories go, the spirit of the ingested elder ox then goes on to help the Cäu celebrate with many new children being born, some nine months later.

To kill a young ox is seen as taboo and is the only known way to get more than one tribe to band together to chase a single traveler. To eat that young ox is, to the Cäu, the same as cannibalism; it is like eating the recently reborn spirit of a Cäu Elders.

The Cäuplakai nomads respect strength. Travelers are warned that they may be challenged to combat if they come too close to a wild oxen herd or the birthing tents of the Cäu tribe that follows that herd. Those that win in these small skirmish duels are given great respect among the tribe, and given leave to hunt near their current lands, so long as the oxen herd is left alone.

It is for this reason that, when the two large armies from the northwest and southeast came to duel in the Blue Hills, the strongest army was given deference and rights to command and hunt in the lands. Though the Cäu do struggle to understand the pig-people clans without help from the Dream Speakers. Yet, the Uzii are slowly introducing the Cäu Elders to Hraban Runes, making things a bit easier every year. Most of the tribes seem amused by their new friends being mostly unable to pronounce the name of their land, and figure that 'Cow Place' is close enough for the strong but simple minded boar-men.

Spoiler: Government
    Show
    Each tribe is ruled over by a Chief. This is the strongest Cäu in the tribe. A Chief wears a Hill Cat leather tunic; the smell of which scares away other Hill Cats and even some prey. This is to make things more difficult for the tribe Chief, so they may continue to prove they are the best, even under harsh conditions.

When a Chief becomes too old, they become the tribe Elder. These Elders are the ambassadors between the various Cäuplakai natives, and during winters, the Council of Elder Cäu meet to help decide how the next four seasons are meant to go.

A tribe Chief makes all day to day decisions, but it is the wisdom of the tribe Elder that help set the plans for the future. The Council will also settle disputes, and make lasting decisions for the tribes as a whole, should such things be needed.

Show
    [Cattle] (Minor)

The Cäuplakai nomads have one punishment for criminals: death, followed by their spirits joining the exiled herds. These large three herds of oxen have no Cäu that follow them, and when a tribe encounters one of these three herds, they are free to hunt from them. The exiled herds are wilder and fiercer and present a challenge to the Cäu that mean that hunters often won’t bother. The exiled souls are not worth their effort…

…unless someone incentivizes them. Payments of shiny things, treasures, or other bartering systems will often get the hunters of the various Cäu tribes to go searching for the exiled herds.

At the moment, the rough location of only one such herd is known for sure. The Cäuplakai nomads keep track of it, but they do know of two other exiled herds that they could hunt from, if they had reason to go looking.

Show
    Ancestor Worship is the primary form of praise and faith among the Cäu. They reverse their ancestors, and see the oxen herds they follow as the living embodiments of the next life; the next step into the spirit world is as a member of the wild herd.

More recently, however, the Cäuplakai natives have been instructed by Hraban Guides in the ways of Melding; Soul Honor is very similar to what the Cäu already do for their own rites, so it is accepted easily within the area.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got my Master's Degree for games (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

I messaged you directly about my tech Dark, but it must have gotten lost among all the other people bothering you about things so I'll post it here:

Viskari War Bows
    Slot: Ranged Weaponry
    Resource Requirement: None
    Effect: +1 to battles

The hunting bows in use by the Viskari have proven to be woefully inadequate for combat and so over the years the craftspeople responsible have worked on improving their techniques to create stronger designs. The result is a bow as tall as a Viskari warrior that requires significant strength to successfully use and cannot be used from horseback, but with the power to penetrate hide and leather armour much more reliably that a light hunting bow.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2020-10-01 at 03:37 AM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

27. - Top - End - #417

Epinephrine_Syn: The Land of Thanks (Region 289) is approved. The Orcan Coastal Territories (Region 281) are approved. The Serpentine Hill Zone (Region 282) will be approved once "chocobos" are renamed and a line specifying chicky dees as the mechanical resource is added per our discussions. Addition of claim fluff is noted, Region 282 is stabilized.

Please add approved regions to the Lands thread, and thank you everyone for your patience.
    The primary resource of this land is made up of chickens, specifically Chicky Dees. Tiny feathery things the size of your hand that produce eggs, produce a fair amount of meat, and have a proclivity for getting everywhere like rodents that can also fly short distances. They're very useful and practical, but also a pseudo-invasive species and you might need some natural predators to hunt them out if you import them cross-continent.
    Added this segment explaining that the miniature chickens are the full on mechanical resource, and not the larger poultry. Also renamed the chocobos to Cheban. Compiled everything into the lands thread.

That should be handled, and thanks to you too.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2020-09-30 at 02:14 PM.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Laura inspired me to get back into mapmaking, and I've been working on this map of my first region for a while; it's now finally at a point where I'm happy to display it. Inevitably, I learned a lot in the process and would do a number of things differently if I were to do so again - most annoying is a cock-up I made literally right at the end.

I had originally intended to do a decorativr border and maybe a little more illustrative artwork around the margins, which is one of the reasons why I've left otherwise anathemaic blank space, but I don't think my general artistic skills are up to it so I chickened out especially after the aforementioned boo-boo.

The style is, of course, deliberately anachronistic.

Last edited by Aedilred; 2020-09-30 at 07:53 PM.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    I messaged you directly about my tech Dark, but it must have gotten lost among all the other people bothering you about things so I'll post it here:

Viskari War Bows
    Slot: Ranged Weaponry
    Resource Requirement: None
    Effect: +1 to battles

The hunting bows in use by the Viskari have proven to be woefully inadequate for combat and so over the years the craftspeople responsible have worked on improving their techniques to create stronger designs. The result is a bow as tall as a Viskari warrior made of timber and horn that requires significant strength to successfully use and cannot be used from horseback, but with the power to penetrate hide and leather armour much more reliably that a light hunting bow.
    I'd really prefer a resource requirement of some sort go into the progressive military technologies. Wood or horned animals seems appropriate, but I'm not sure what your TP situation is.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd really prefer a resource requirement of some sort go into the progressive military technologies. Wood or horned animals seems appropriate, but I'm not sure what your TP situation is.
    My TP situation is lacklustre. Unfortunately bows made of silver do not shoot very far.
    As for the lack of a resource requirement, my reasoning was that trees are relatively common so it shouldn't be too difficult to find the materials. I should remove the reference to horn because that shouldn't be there.

Edit: There. No more mention of horn because I'm not making composite bows.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2020-10-01 at 03:38 AM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!