Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Empire 6: First Light (OOC 1)

Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    GM team: weird question that doesn’t really matter but I’m curious how it’s handled: if you are an organized religion and you adopt another faith do (1) all the HCs of that faith convert to the new one, (2) only your regions that follow that faith or, (3) only your capital? If yes, what happens to miracles like water bending? Do they ride along to the new faith or vanish? If no, what happens to the HCs of the faith you left behind? Do they have to fight for the empty faith head chair or is a new head choosen?
    For obvious reasons this hasn't come up very often in past games but similar things have come up occasionally. There are a couple of scenarios which would result in different outcomes, I think:

If you're the head of an organised faith, converting to a new faith with a simple faith action would just mean walking out on your existing faith and leaving the top post vacant, with all holy sites intact.

If you want to officially merge/syncretise your faith into another one, I think that should probably be a F5 special action - let's say that for that purpose it falls under "schism" with your existing faith for the purposes of RAW.

By RAW you only get free conversions on a F5 where the existing faith is unorganised, but based on how this has been handled in previous games, albeit not for some time, I would expect at least an opportunity to get free conversions on existing holy sites - but they would require rolls, with the possibility of opposition. If holy sites survive, then that rump would remain an organised religion in its own right.

The holy site bonuses would probably be lost. Miracle bonuses I'm not so sure and might be something to play by ear. I would have thought that in the event of a full and uncontested merger, the miracles would probably translate across, because losing the effects of F10 actions is rather harsh. But if it's more of a schism and the existing faith retains a substantial presence, that faith might retain the miracle bonuses with the merged faith adopting those of its new one, so those bonuses remain in play but you give them up to gain the benefits of your new faith.

In general, I'd expect it to be harder to do this in a situation where there are multiple official members of a faith than when you're the only one. So for instance if the Sol'Ikoth were to give it up and merge Great Old Ones into the Ancient Way, that would be rather less challenging than the current head of the Path of the True Dawn trying the same thing.

I can't guarantee that the above is exactly how it would play out but I think it would be something along those lines.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

I have now updated treasure to the end of the last round.

Epinephrine_Syn, Nef, Dfan, Lleban, Tentreto, the tables seem to be in disagreement with your own stated totals. This is most likely due to a missed "passive" treasure acquisition at some point on my part (which I will endeavour to set up something to stop happening in future this evening).

Could you please take a look at the "Treasure Tracker" tab on the tables and see if you can spot an obvious error. I will do this myself at some point but it is likely to be signficantly quicker and easier for you to do it since you have a rough idea of what actions you've taken and when.

Everyone else's seems to be ok, which is kind of surprising, but if you disagree with the stated total please let me know.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

3. - Top - End - #513
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Epinephrine_Syn, Nef, Dfan, Lleban, Tentreto, the tables seem to be in disagreement with your own stated totals. This is most likely due to a missed "passive" treasure acquisition at some point on my part (which I will endeavour to set up something to stop happening in future this evening).

Could you please take a look at the "Treasure Tracker" tab on the tables and see if you can spot an obvious error. I will do this myself at some point but it is likely to be signficantly quicker and easier for you to do it since you have a rough idea of what actions you've taken and when.
    I'm fairly sure I know where this comes from, and it actually isn't passive treasure gen mess-ups. Back in round 5 there was a missed check for my Attending The Bazar, which resulted in there being one less person and everyone else getting only 2 instead of 3 (because there was a threshold of people attending that scaled the benefit up from 1 to 2 to 3). I mentioned this the day that post went up:
    I explicitly attended the Bazar within my actions, which means I should get some of the treasure too. Moreover, it means that all of us should get an additional treasure.

Partly mentioning cause I feel my allies will be annoyed with me if I wind up 'not' attending and costing them all a lot of money.
    But I think between Rando leaving and all the other chaos that was going on during that round opener updating said thing into the tables got lost in the weeds. According to the tables while updating that in I should be at 5 treasure, not 2.

And some of the other people attending I see having 2 being gained during that turn, not 3, so I think that's where all the table problems are coming from. So it should hopefully be as simple as "make sure everyone that attended the bazar received 3 treasure".
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2020-10-21 at 08:39 AM.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine_Syn View Post
    And some of the other people attending I see having 2 being gained during that turn, not 3, so I think that's where all the table problems are coming from. So it should hopefully be as simple as "make sure everyone that attended the bazar received 3 treasure".
    I am also 1 treasure short for this reason, while we're on the topic.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

The Celestial Tower in region 30 was completed in round 4 but doesn't seem to have a mechanical effect yet. Here is my suggestion for it:

'+1 to resist conversions by other faiths than Trinity of Light in adjacent regions (29, 31, 49, 54)'
    If that is too powerful for a great project I'll gladly take '+1 to seek aid in region 30' instead.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Troll in the Playground

Epinephrine_Syn is correct. I should have received 3 treasure from the round 5 bazaar incident. I have spent 2 -- one on an exploration and one on attacking the Sha. I have 1 remaining.
    I apologize for drawing CockroachTeaParty as a winged centaur.

7. - Top - End - #517

The Fffolkkk have set an unexpected precedent. All Sikar players are now welcome to attend The Silver Sport!

However, only players who participated in round 7's epic quest are eligible to actually take home the prize.

Also, because this is not a GM maintained event, the deadline to make your team post and roll will be the Friday immediately before end of Round8, so I'll be able to edit my post this round with the delivery of the prize.

Thanks everyone who's posted so far, this is some of the most fun I can recall ever having with an event!
    ...with a vengeance!

8. - Top - End - #518

Yeah, the event is fun and I like writing up fluff, I've got to think about how the different strategies of the teams interact.

Edit: Let's say that I make Celestial Navigation, a Mil 10 tech that improves sailing and has some other minor battle effect (for simplicities sake a copy kind of of Crab Sails). If somebody has both of these techs, to what degree do they stack?

Not at all: they're treated as the same tech.
    Their non-battle effects stack: they both improve sailing but, both being in the Scouting+Logistics slot, you can only use one of their battle effects at once.
    Other: Something else I didn't think of.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2020-10-23 at 02:00 PM.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

General note: I will be out of town with minimal internet access next Thursday and Friday and this might continue into the weekend. You can therefore help me to help Dark to help you by getting your actions in, rolled, etc. early. Any actions posted after midnight (GMT) on Wednesday might not get looked at until after the round closes, which would inevitably delay the opener's going up.

Yeah, the event is fun and I like writing up fluff, I've got to think about how the different strategies of the teams interact.

Edit: Let's say that I make Celestial Navigation, a Mil 10 tech that improves sailing and has some other minor battle effect (for simplicities sake a copy kind of of Crab Sails). If somebody has both of these techs, to what degree do they stack?

Not at all: they're treated as the same tech.
    Their non-battle effects stack: they both improve sailing but, both being in the Scouting+Logistics slot, you can only use one of their battle effects at once.
    Other: Something else I didn't think of.
    The second one. While there might theoretically be some restrictions on civilian tech-stacking where they are functionally the same tech (for instance if multiple continents invent Bronze, or the wheel, you'd only get that bonus once per roll), civilian techs normally stack with each other.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

10. - Top - End - #520
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Posting Region 44, and reposting 41 just to have them in the same place:

Spoiler: Region 41: Jù Fǎihlè
    Show
    Jù Fǎihlè
    Region 41
    Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    Given the name Jù Fǎihlè ("Red Fields") by the Sọ́kǎu playing a leading role in the resettlement and colonization, the name "red" came originally from the association of that color with the south in Sọ́kǎu culture and the region's location south of the river. However, the name was considered apt and became popular due to the reddish tint often seen in the soil across the region, and the importance of a common red wildflower to the old nomadic inhabitants.

The land along the river that forms the northern border is much like its counterpart on the far side: green, wet, fertile and marshy. Similarly, the southern border with Swampum and Rhddendrk is mostly swampy forest, though the ground does become firmer and drier towards the east (at least until reaching the river delta).

But both wetland regions form only narrow borders around a broad and flat-ish plateau rising up in the center of the region. Flat, open grasslands dominate the plateau, broken up in places by occasional clusters of low, rolling hills and patches of forest. The recent colonists have found the land excellent for farming, though the old nomads did little if any farming of their own, prefering to follow their wandering herds of cattle.

Having never bothered to build many permanent structures, the nomads have left little obvious sign of their previous inhabitation. This is now changing with the introduction of farming communities and permanent colonies. Though the ease of finding fertile land means the farmers are only slowly spreading south and are mostly still close to the river.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    Jù Fǎihlè was historically inhabited by nomadic cattle herders, who call themselves the Wákhẹn. Living in family groups only loosely tied to larger clans and tribes, they wandered the plateau grasslands with their herds. Closely related to the Ẹtúniú of Héokalón, they reject the sedentary lifestyle of their cousins, considering them fools who traded the freedom of a wandering, nomadic life for the illusion of safety and comfort in their cities and farming villages.

The recent recolonization has brought the Ẹtúniú and their ways to Jù Fǎihlè. The new cities and farmlands in the north resemble Héokalón more than anything. The Sọ́kǎu play a more significant role, though, having been the major driving force behind the expansion and colonization. Many of the cities have Sọ́kǎu rulers, but even so they generally rely heavily on the much greater experience of the Ẹtúniú in dealing with and organizing the mix of extensive farmlands surrounding urbanized centers.

In any case, the cities and farmlands have yet to spread very deep into the region, and most of the land is populated by wandering Wákhẹn, who have returned to their old way of life almost as if it had never been disrupted at all.

Spoiler: History
    Show
    Life among the Wákhẹn continued much the same for decades or centuries, with the first serious disruption coming with the Amaryllis. Many of the rich and powerful became addicted to the flower wine, withdrawing more and more from the world and its responsibilities. The war between the Uzii and Sọ́kǎu brought more uncertainty; Rẹ̌tšrìj and her fellow Sọ̌kǎu proved instrumental in holding off the Uzii, even more so than the traditionally powerful chiefs and elders.

Further disasters with the Amaryllis and the mysterious Storm Bird drove many Wákhẹn to abandon their ancestral homes. A few blamed the Sọ́kǎu, insisting life would have been better if the Uzii had won. Many more headed north, hoping to find less uncertain circumstances among their cousins and the Sọ́kǎu in Héokalón.

Initially frustrated to find her efforts to secure control over the south banks of the river frustrated by the abandonment of the region, Rẹ̌tšrìj eventually discovers she has, if anything, more influence over the Wákhẹn after their flight north. The flow of migrants then reversed, with the Sọ́kǎu hero leading anybody and everybody she could find willing to follow her south to settle Jù Fǎihlè.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show
    The Wákhẹn nomads of Jù Fǎihlè kept herds of cattle. Somewhat smaller than the wild aurochs more common across the river to the north, they are much less ill-tempered. Providing milk and meat for food, hides for clothing and shelter, and bones and other parts for a variety of other uses, cattle herds were central to life for the nomads.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    The nomads generally recognized many of the same gods as their cousins in Héokalón. However, many of the richest and most respected clans followed a particular set of teachings that revered the Dreamflower. The faith is based on a loose collection of myths about Nhẹsụ́thaw, a god of dreams, music and artistic inspiration. He is said to have been mortally wounded by a jealous rival and forced to resort to entering into a magical sleep to delay his death. His followers in Jù Fǎihlè claim his blood was scattered across the grasslands of the region and wherever it fell a blood-red flower grew. The legends are associated with a red wildflower that still grows across the region and is considered a symbol of love and creativity. An herbal tea made from the petals and leaves of the flower is very popular and believed to bless drinkers with the sleeping Nhẹsụ́thaw's favor.

The scattering of Wákhẹn after the wars and disasters, followed by the influx of foreigners during the resettlement of the region has seen the teachings of the Dreamflower lose its place as the most important faith in Jù Fǎihlè. It does remain, however, and many of its ideas are slowing spreading among the colonists and even among the neighbors of refugees in the north.

Spoiler: Region 44: Máklè Phyõ
    Show
    Máklè Phyõ
    Region 44
    Show
    Located between the two major tributaries of the great river, Máklè Phyõ is mostly rocky and hilly forest. Along the rivers, swamps and marshes alternate unpredictably with rocky cliffs. While further from the river, the terrain is a crazy mix of steep hills and sudden gorges. The pockets of unforested land generally suffer from thin and not very fertile soil, which has long discouraged serious agriculture. The forests themselves tend to have rocky ground, making them also unpromising, even if they were to be cleared for farming.

Several relatively broad river valleys flowing down to the border rivers serve as the most promising sites for settlment. They offer both rare good soil and the protection of difficult approach through the surrounding hills. Most of the rest of the region has still remained wild and untouched.

Show
    The people of Máklè Phyõ are a mix of all the cultures and ethnicities gathered under Sọ́kǎu rule. The Ẹtúniú of Héokalón are the most numerous overall, though the north has been settled by colonists from Wēkache instead and it is possible to find Sọ́kǎu and Wákhẹn scattered around throughout the region. The mix of different cultures, and the fact that it takes a certain type of person to leave behind everything they know to move into empy and unsettled land and make a new life, means a new, distinct culture and identity is begining to develop.

Show
    The region has long been the subject of deep superstitions among the Ẹtúniú living to the east. All sorts of fantastical stories can be heard around Héokalón, changing dramatically from one place to another and even one teller to another. Many claim the land between the rivers was once populated by diminutive race of people known as the Mákle. Appearing like no more than children, but clever and skilled with their hands, many folktales in Héokalón credit the Mákle with teaching the Ẹtúniú the craft of spinning yarn and weaving cloth. There is considerable disagreement over whether the Mákle were all killed by blight during or shortly after the False Dawn or managed to survive and go into hiding.

Other storytellers insist that the name "Mákle" actually comes from two old gods Má and Kle, whose forbidden love affair brought about the False Dawn in some way or another. Often the current stoney and infertile state of the region is stated to be the result of a curse, punishing the land for being the site of the divine lovers' meetings.

Whatever the case, old stories in Héokalón claim that decades ago there was semi-regular trade across the river. Scattered communities were said to mine amber, which was highly prized as a status symbol in Héokalón. Contact had slowed down to almost nothing in recent memory, but it had been believed that the old inhabitants were still there. Until the excitment for colonization turned west and the first settlers found nobody. The eerie emptiness disturbed many colonists, and it never become as popular a destination as Jù Fǎihlè to the south. But the promise of abundant amber, and the growing confidence that there is not a secret horde of flowerspawn hiding around the next rocky hill or canyon, does still draw enough.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show
    Máklè Phyõ is famous for its amber. Even before it was colonized, treasure-seekers would sometimes brave the dangers (real and imagined) of the wetlands to fish out the beautiful yellow, orange and red stones, and it was also possible to find old amber said to have been mined in the rocky hills and traded across the river long ago. Now collection has picked up, and the amber has spread much more widely across Sọ́kǎu territory, triggering a craze.

Show
    The mix of different peoples and cultures making up the colonization of Máklè Phyõ has kept any one faith from establishing dominance in the region.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

biggrin Re: Empire 6: First Light (OOC 1)

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHat View Post
    The Fffolkkk have set an unexpected precedent. All Sikar players are now welcome to attend The Silver Sport!

However, only players who participated in round 7's epic quest are eligible to actually take home the prize.

Also, because this is not a GM maintained event, the deadline to make your team post and roll will be the Friday immediately before end of Round8, so I'll be able to edit my post this round with the delivery of the prize.

Thanks everyone who's posted so far, this is some of the most fun I can recall ever having with an event!
    My apologies if I made your life more difficult. But my big, plodding, turtles continue to have very limited knowledge about Sikarian politics.

In fact, I'm going to spend 3/5 actions this round just getting to know the organizations.

OH, and some fluff writing for thoughts and opinions. I tried to change up how I normally write.
    Spoiler: Fighting Styles of the Fffolkk
    Show

Fighting Styles of the Fffolkkk.
    My name is Iiruum in the trade tongue. The cover of this book bears my name-mark. It is the truth, as I speak the truth. I write down how I fight. I fight like all Fffolkkk fight. All Fffolkkk fight like me.

Most times I fight monsters, or the biting wild animals. Some are in the Maze, some are in the water. I fight better in the Maze. I was born for the land. By brothers fight better in the water. They were born for the water.

Fights find Fffolkk, fffolkkk end fights. Most of the biting animals are jumpers. They hide and pounce. I will retreat into my home, my shell, quicker than they can pounce. Let the beasts try to claw through my armor. I will bite, I will stomp, I will stab with my needle-knife, anything trying to harm me.
    My brothers are swimmers, and will seek the ground when pounced. The break of sea and air is the boundary for disaster. They become the seafloor, and pouncers are foiled, bitten, and driven away.

Pouncers have no patience. I am relentless. Fffolkk are relentless. I rise when the attacker falters, my weapon in my hands. I will follow the pouncer. Where it goes, I can go. When it runs, I will follow. When it rests, I will close. Day and night mean nothing to the Fffolkkk. The Fffolkkk are relentless. The Fffolkkk are patient. The Fffolkkk will pursue.

I like my bill-hook. It is longer than most pouncers can reach. It can hook and pull at legs. Its sturdy iron-bound wood will block a bite and parry a claw. Let a monster try to grab and pull it from me. It will be tugging on a mountain. Sometimes, the monsters will get past my parrying. But my back and chest is thick and bumpy, making the hurt bounce away. I can hold Bill with one hand and pull the other back away from harm very quickly.

Other Fffolkk like other ends, other names, but long poles are always. My brothers flatten the poles, to make them slice the water, and long point for spearing.
    I am the War-Keeper, the chosen Champion of the Fffolkk. Fights find Fffolkk, fffolkkk end fights. Fights may come from the Shaylles. I must find a way to end them. I have searched the Fffolkk for the wisdom of our parents. The Fffolkk are the fffolkk, and our School will fight as a fffolkkk.

A school will fight. The front will be shielded like our hides. Our pole-arms will poke and slash from all sides. Over our head, other shields will block the pouncers, the diving arrows and rocks. The Fffolkkk are not fast, the Fffolkkk are strong. The Fffolkkk are relentless. Let the enemy exhaust itself against armor. Let the enemy spoil its strength. Where the enemy retreats, we will follow. When the enemy rests, we will attack.

A school will fight in the water. The surface may be still, only a small disturbance once an hour as the school rises for breath. Then the school can rise, attacking the rafts and boats of the Shaylles. The School is strong, and needs only to compel the Shaylles to the bottom. Let them breathe water. Water is the ally of the Fffolkkk.
    Last edited by Lt-Murgen; 2020-10-26 at 11:39 AM.

12. - Top - End - #522

As a question for the Mil 10 tech if i make it celestial navigation of some kind, could i make it slightly better if i gave it a resource requirement, or would it just be no better? For example, if I utilized drinking the flavored spring water for some kind of enlightenment to read the stars in a sufficiently spiritually connected way. Though I'm not sure if there'd be any difference or improvement for a fluff requirement, -1 Casualties Taken + Sailing Boost from Crab Claws is already pretty neat.

That said I also need to name some constellations, and even though I have something like a month to *work* on that fluff part, I should do it and my brain's lazy.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Pixie in the Playground

Weddep, Just to let everyone know I'm taking over for Tychris1's faction as he is becoming an admin. We're boys from meatspace and I have heard a lot about the game, so i'm excited to play. I have no idea what's going on, so it should be a great time.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

Pleased to meet you. I'm Blade and I'm playing the monopoly bank.
    Spoiler
    Show

Normal Avatar by Thormag!

Earthbound Immortal Uru avatar by Strawberries

15. - Top - End - #525
    Dwarf in the Playground

Region 309 - The Expanse

Geography
    Region 309 is cataclysmic. The region is dominated by volcanic activity. Molten rivers cascade across the landscape. Towers of basalt and crystal rise from the ground. A towering, active volcano lies at the center of the region. Due to the hazardous nature of the region, only the toughest of life can survive. In some cases, that which thrives is not even alive, to begin with.

People - Lith
    We do not eat. We do not breathe. We do not sleep. We neither live nor die. And yet we are.
    Lithoids are animate abiotic beings, made of crystal and mineral. They manifest in the earth due to natural processes, emerging from the earth to begin their existence.
    Lith value knowledge and wisdom, and accumulate a vast wealth over time.
    They know that nothing lasts forever, even if their existence is on a geological scale.
    Lithoids can appreciate natural beauty. They see nature evolve and grow, change over time in a beautiful process, invisible to those who do not have the lifespan of stone.
    Lithoids hold disdain for war. War only accelerates the demise of civilization and culture.
    They know that the past lasts in them and that the future lies ahead of them.

Soreni relations with the Lithoids are tenuous at best. Soreni culture is hostile and spiteful. They cannot understand the world the same way as the Lithoids.

Resource - Good - Pronghorn
    309 is home to the Pronghorn. The fastest land animal, pronghorns have evolved to outrun the deadly snowcat. The Soreni have seen the use of a fast, but light creature, training them to be courier creatures.

Faith - Open
    The Lithoids do not believe in a higher power or dominant philosophy. There is one holy site. It is the volcano.
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2020-10-27 at 09:40 AM.
    Empire!6
    Check it out. It's fun.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SquimjoBlemson View Post
    Weddep, Just to let everyone know I'm taking over for Tychris1's faction as he is becoming an admin. We're boys from meatspace and I have heard a lot about the game, so i'm excited to play. I have no idea what's going on, so it should be a great time.
    It's a pleasure to meet you Ty's Friend. In case he somehow forgot to mention it you are currently being invaded by a lot of very angry Half-Orcs. We can discuss how to proceed with the conflict next round but for now the Viskari cry out for vengeance against the Scavenger Beasts of the Grey Lake.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ettin in the Playground

Greetings, Squimjoblemson! Good to have you on board.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

18. - Top - End - #528

Sikar News, specifically @ing Zab, Dfan, Lleban, and whoever else it may concern.

We probably should mention in some way that we're all working together on this translation project in-posts. Such as giving it a specific shared title, like The Flowerlands Codex of Customs. Mainly so the GMs know we're all working together and don't just file each of us as being 1 step towards our own individual separate GPs to understand it.

and also so I can control f Flowerlands to figure out who is contributing holy hell was figuring out who had it in their actions hard
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2020-10-27 at 04:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SquimjoBlemson View Post
    Welcome, I play your friendly neighborhood elves. Would love the opportunity to chat with you more and help explain Tarandi's smoke and politics some if you like. Looking forward to a great game with you!

20. - Top - End - #530
    Barbarian in the Playground

First, welcome to our new player! So glad to have you with us. I play a budding kingdom of human warriors that use divination, but I'm far away so that won't matter to you for a long time.

And second: I have a region written up for approval.

Region 43 - The Upper Vale

Show
    The plains following the Sparkling River are flush with life and relatively safe from harm. Sparse but immense trees dot the landscape, covering the area in a thick canopy despite the lack of regular trees. The branches of these magnificently huge blue-leafed trees (called stone-roots) hold fruits rumored to have any number of mysterious and magical qualities But those foolish enough to climb them tend to wind up falling from the heights due to the lack of branches until very far up, or the flying beasts that guard their upper reaches.

The area closest to the river lacks the same canopy, and happens to have excellent soil for farming. The flat, moist earth takes naturally to all sorts of cereals that either grew naturally (like wheat) or those that were brought from further out (rice and corn). This is also where most people settled in the area, due to the ease of access to food and the capacity to hunt buffalo that roam under the trees further in.

One of these stoneroot trees that died and then fell down over time is a major landmark in the region, colloquially called The Barrier that stretches north to south through the middle of the plains. Due to the sheer size of the trunk now rotting into the ground, the local ecosystem around it is richer than anything else in the local area and provides an interesting strategic position for the purposes of war in the area. Parts of the barrier are large, hollowed out caverns but they prove to be very dangerous to traverse, especially in large numbers.

Show
    Cu (Pronounced: /kou/) live in the area as the native inhabitants, a hunter-gathered race of near-humans that traditionally emphasize living in harmony with the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy
    ...Sun tanned humans, standing at an average height of five and a half feet tall, the major difference between a regular human and a Cu are the small, deer-like horns that grow from the foreheads of the Cuplakai natives. These horns grow more with age, but even the oldest Cu do not have horns bigger than the size of their own hands. Male Cu have horns ending in sharp points, while female Cu have horns ending in rounded tips; the few female warriors sharpen their horns for battle. There is no difference in size between genders.
    (More on traditional Cu culture can be found in the writeup for Cuplakai! [42])

The Cu in the region live alongside humans that migrated from the Blessed Vale outside of the reaches of clan Alqar. Where the Cu lived in small nomadic groups when the humans arrived some generations ago, the two races ended up cooperating in the formation of a dozen small farming villages - with each nomadic group settling under one of the Stoneroot Trees and claiming all that which lay under its branches as their territory.

Intermingling between the two races had lead to plenty of interracial couples throughout the clans, but those relationships tend to simply result in the child adopting the race of the mother.

Cu and humans both respect strength, and so feuds tend to be solved with short but non-lethal competitions of might or deferral to the elders. Temperatures in the region encourage only light clothing or protection against foes, as most of the year the climate is moderate to warm.

Show
    So existed six clans, who each hunted under the territory of a single tree. Life was simple and peaceful, hunting and gathering as needed without any need for complex societies or warfare. That is, until the humans came and built their village on the coast of the sparkling river. They practiced building and irrigation, gladly sharing it with the locals for some of their resources. Soon enough the area had modernized, but this came with a slew of new issues. The oldest clan wished to assert authority over the others, and told the rest that they would be in charge in case more strangers come to their lands with less than friendly intentions.

Most were not content with this arrangement, but one particularly bold clan openly defied them and competed for the position. They clashed three times, and upon the third the leader of the first clan was killed. A major blow was dealt to the first clan, who in their grief called upon the spirits to curse their foes. This miracle worked, and the tree that they had built their whole society around began to decay from within until it collapsed, uprooting the village and killing dozens as it fell and crushed the better part of their now two generations of building and crafting. With fury, those that remained rose without any land or territory to call their own, and began the conquest of the region by force. Their directive was simple, submit and pay tribute or be killed. Warlord wanri was known far and wide as the scourge of the Vale, driven by vengeance, until he met his match against Kalm Alqar in single combat - defeating his band of warriors and bringing relative peace to the area with Clan Alqar taking all others under its wings.

Spoiler: Trade (Cereals: Good)
    Show
    The villages across the Upper Vale all produce various cereals, be they Corn, Wheat, or Rice. Some of these seeds were brought from afar by the humans (rice and corn) but they have also adapted to those that grow locally (wheat). A literal bread-basket for the local region, the simple baked goods are well sought after and those who live in its borders may never know of starvation despite that illness that creeps in towards Mamut from the far north.

Spoiler: Faith (Open)
    Show
    With a reverence towards nature and oxen, the native people tend to believe in spirits of the world that each have their own domains. Some great spirits might control the entire sky, while other lessers might guard a single cornfield. Offerings and celebrations related to good harvests are common, but there are few to no organized practices, prayers, or true magic to speak of with the exception of the curse that rotted the tree some time ago. Some say that the beast which granted that vengeful wish was no spirit, but a blightspawn intent on sewing madness and hurt in the area.
    Last edited by Zayuz; 2020-10-28 at 10:00 AM.
    "What is to give light must endure burning."

21. - Top - End - #531
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Tactical doctrine for approval: Improved reckless attack
    The Sirrvadut kill the enemy so quickly he does not have time to strike back at the weak points of their defense.
    Effect: +2 to combat roll

ETA:
    CI for approval:
    Kalokagathia
    Physical strength is revered just as much as mental acuity among the Sirrvadut, if not more so.
    Effect: 2d8 to duelling
    Last edited by Corona; 2020-10-28 at 05:48 PM.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I didn't look too closely at the non-actions for faith purposes as it's rare there's anything actively happening in them, hence why it didn't show up in the opener. I'll leave the call on whether it's valid or will require an action for Dark.
    As I understand the situation, I think it's acceptable to put +1 to Seek Aid on the books as the Trinity's HS 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolepgeek View Post
    TacDoc and CI requests/ideas I want to get approval for.

TacDoc: Riparian Ambush: +2 to combat rolls when attacking across a River or Deep River border and -20% casualty reduction when attacking or defending across a River or Deep River border.

CI: Bigger is Better: Increased die size for Duels.
    Bigger is Better is approved as-is. Riparian Ambush is also fine so long as we remember to keep track of the casualty reduction being across river borders, and not just in regions where river borders are present.

Quote Originally Posted by Minescratcher View Post
    Tech proposal: Steering Oars
    Man-sized oars have been in use since time immemorial for propelling ships without wind, but they are much more cumbersome for turning a vessel. The addition of an enormous steering oar to the stern of the Bel-Dan double-hulled canoe makes it far easier to turn these ships without needing to coordinate many rowers, and helps sail against the wind by allowing the rowers to pull with more force without throwing the craft off course. However, the space required to stow the oar and the double-hulled design of the craft make it exceptionally difficult to stow and feed animals larger than a pig or fowl - especially riding animals.

Requires: Sailing
    Effect: +3 to Tactical Maneuvering rolls in naval battles and battles in coastal regions
    Slot: Cavalry
    Fascinating. I'm not sure I remember tech slots being filled with "we just can't carry these things with it" techs before. It's somewhat wibbly with the intent of the slots, but I'm fine with it. So long as this isn't taken as setting precedent that anything goes with the slots.

As far as sacking along shared coastlines extending into the deep water rivers, that's the intent. If it goes _crazy_ we might revisit it but for now consider that a legal action.

Also since I'm making my Tac Doc this turn for the Roar of the Hydra this turn, I'm submitting a much simplified version that keeps most all the fluff and concepts, and alleviates the issues any such 'accidental routing the enemy to snipe their hero' had wrapped up within it. Hopefully this one is alright.

Tac Doc: Roar of the Hydra
    The war worms stampede, causing havoc amongst the ranks of the enemy and in some cases causing them to rout before the fight even begins.
    Get +3 to your Battle roll, and if the enemy lost units in battle, they gain 1 unit at the end of the next turn.enemy suffers 10% fewer casualties.
    The revised edition of Roar of the Hydra is approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Corona View Post
    Tactical doctrine for approval: Improved reckless attack
    The Sirrvadut kill the enemy so quickly he does not have time to strike back at the weak points of their defense.
    Effect: +2 to combat roll

ETA:
    CI for approval:
    Kalokagathia
    Physical strength is revered just as much as mental acuity among the Sirrvadut, if not more so.
    Effect: 2d8 to duelling
    Both approved.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; Yesterday at 02:51 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

23. - Top - End - #533

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Fascinating. I'm not sure I remember tech slots being filled with "we just can't carry these things with it" techs before. It's somewhat wibbly with the intent of the slots, but I'm fine with it. So long as this isn't taken as setting precedent that anything goes with the slots.

As far as sacking along shared coastlines extending into the deep water rivers, that's the intent. If it goes _crazy_ we might revisit it but for now consider that a legal action.
    Awesome, thank you.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lehydy Plains
    Region 215

Spoiler: Geography
    Show
    The Lehydy Plains start with barren lands in the west where it borders the Gehudu wasteland, however the further west one goes the more the land becomes lush and green until meets the sea on the eastern coast. The landscape is dominated by tall grass and small hills with the occasional tree being spotted near one of the rivers that flow east.

Show

The natives of the Lehydy Plains are the Kywamma, a bipedal species that resembles a gazelle. Standing one and a half meters tall with horns adding thirty centimetres to this on average. Their slender bodies are perfect for quick travel across the plains and while they have become the dominant species in the area their natural instinct to flee can still be seen when unexpected noises or movements are made. The average lifespan of the Kywamma is forty years with the oldest on record being seventy five.

Kywamma settlements are concentrated around the rivers that flow through the land and seldom house more than one hundred people. The main source of food is the grass that grows abundantly on the plains with supplements of leaves from one of the trees on occasion. The time saved by not having to hunt for food is used to perfect their crafts and so the Kywamma are expert artisans mostly focused on weaving and clay sculpting.

There existed no formal ruler of these lands and when the Sewune forces arrived the settlements accepted their rule without conflict. Their daily lives have not changed since the new leadership and continue to weave and sculpt daily. The only difference is that there is now a central market where these goods can be traded.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show
    The resource of the Lehydy plains are the Kywamma themselves. After the introduction to the other survivors in the surrounding areas some were eager to practise their weaving and pottery skills in other areas of the world.

Artisans: Good

TP1: SEW
    TP2: SIR

Spoiler: Faith
    Show
    The Kywamma had no formal religion when first discovered by the Sewune however it did not take long for The Blemmyae to send over missionaries and spread Abiherism. Apart from a few murmurs in the population the conversion went on without a hitch.

The Holy site is what is now known as the tree of ancestors, a large tree growing at the top of a small hill.

HC: Abiherism
    Last edited by Moriko; Today at 04:58 PM.
    See that awesome avatar? This dude called Gengy made it.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Barbarian in the Playground

I need to get my faith bonus set, so I gotta run this idea past dark. It has gotten mixed feedback, so I am not sure it will get approved:
    [+2 to defend deep desert regions]
    My thought is that because the effect is so limited region-wise that it balances out, especially because it requires a tech to get into those regions.
    Come to the dark side; we have pop-tarts.
    "Is no fun. Is no Blinsky" "He is... FIZBOP THUNDERTOES!!!!!"

Spoiler: The Night of the Living Thread
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    We, as humans, have incisors. Those are made for tearing flesh and meat.
    Meat tastes good.
    If we aren't supposed to eat people, then why are they made of meat?

26. - Top - End - #536

Region 157 Rishka Plains

Show
    Terrain

With wide rolling plains, the land of Rishka is cold and surprisingly arid, with the soil being notoriously hard to grow in. The majority of settlements have sprung up among the river to the south, where ther are enough offshoots for some settlements to be small islands in the waters. A few settlements do survive in the north however, surviving as nomadic tribes, often briefly heading north to the Carrion Ward to have conflict with the Creatures there.

Spoiler: People and Culture
    Show
    People and Culture.

Riskans are humans, broad and strong, as many have spent their life either swimming or wrangling beasts, if not both. They tend towards darker complexions, although this is most occurrent among the nomadic northerners. It is likely they are from the same groups that migrated north at the False Dawn. The southerners tend to wearing little more than heavy shirts that can be easily thrown off, with thin garments to aid with swimming, although they are often caked in the oils and grease of animals to keep the cold out. Northerners also adopt the shirt, but wear long skirts of bright colours, to help denote their tribal affiliation.

Rishkan society is barely stable, with each tribe and group having a very different idea of both worship and rulership. However, the Southern settlements tend towards fishing and some small agriculture to keep themselves fed, and towards a very communal style of leadership. Everyone is expected to be able to bring in a shark or fish if they see one in the water, and the size of beast they can bring in is where reputations, and power is built. In contrast, the nomads elect a leader for life to guide their group, who has ultimate control over law in the tribe, although only a fool would exert it to a high level. Therefore, the northerners tend to be very diverse in their trades. Many serve as specialist trader and artisans for the various southern settlement who they trade with for food and alliances. Many others serves as mercenaries, cementing a settlements political power until the leader declares it is time to move on.

In the last 30 years, an alliance between a group of nomads and a southern settlement bloomed, as a tough winter forced the two to live together and fend of the horrors of the night. This led to a great deal of intermarriage, and eventually, the nomads became part of the settlement, albeit a more roving one. That the settlement was on a river island, and the nomads great warriors led to this becoming a central power base for the region. Therefore, Rishka, the name of the settlement, became the byword for the region, as the nomads spread it to the explorers from Sangar, who spread it to the rest of Tarandi. Jia Polahi would exploit this, intermarrying her family with Rishka in order to have enough control over the South, with Prenadi having impressed enough of the nomads for her prowess to earn the support of the north.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show
    Resource:
    Rishka has a great supply of fish in the river, however, the majority of these are fairly horrible to eat, tasting bland at best, and while the nomads each individually have their specialities, none can support more than they can trade on an individual basis. However, their are a large amounts of river sharks in the region, which the southerners hunt to keep the other fish alive, and provide for them in multiple ways. The sharks taste far better than their prey, they can be harvested for teeth, for weapons, and their oil helps keep lanterns alight and people warm while swimming. Thus, the sharks have become the de facto trade good of Rishka, being something any settlement or tribe can use.

River Sharks: Minor

TP1 Open

Show
    Religion:

Riska is notoriously eclectic in its beliefs, with followers of the Ancient Way and Eauden being present in a number of settlements. The Children of the Great Mother are also present in some of the west, and even some followers of the Great Song, quite similar to the Chorus is also present.

This disparity means that most tribes and settlements are relatively tolerant of all Gods and Spirits, with reverence often being given to all spirits that exist in many ways, as after all, if you pay homage to all gods there may be, and all spirits, then none can surely be against you?

Holy Centre: Open
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Played as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close to the sun

Played as the Duenem in Empire 5. Ordered a God to stand down, and kept a contingency ready...