Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Empire 6: First Light (OOC 1)

Table people: My sack of Anbroch TP 1 from two rounds ago doesn't appear to have made it into the tables. TP 1 should be "XX".

2. - Top - End - #362

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    There is nothing in that post that signals that it has anything to do with region 282 or anything to do with the claim.
    I'll add more details on that portion in specifically, yeah. I didn't think to add the region number due to it sounding mechanical, but that is good for bookkeepings sake. I think I can sneak it in without making it sound too awkward.

Edit: And added some more meat to the fluff, mentioning the region name, and utilizing the lamia character I had attend the event back in round 4 into a second marriage with another young noble Oraora, (who I'd been planning out but forget if I'd actually put any of the fluff for in ic posts).
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2020-09-20 at 11:47 AM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Hello! I have a question.

On round 3, Clann Solais established a claim on region 117. On round 4, they pressed it. On round 5, they pressed it again. By my understanding, they should own the region now that Round 6 has started, but they're shown to still be pressing the claim. Is that intentional?
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Dwarf in the Playground

311: Postwar Revisions and Lore Expansion
    As a war raged through Xakor, new shifts in society emerged.
    The region was split more than ever before.
    Now two factions vie for power among the Valley of Bones.

Slavers
    Slaves have always been a major resource in Xakor.
    As the war raged, the anarchy and fear gave the Slavers a great edge, and they expanded greatly.

New Sor
    Many Soreni chose to stay in 311 even as it was claimed by the Naherin.
    Duke Sekthel knew that if the Soreni of 311 did not comply, they would all die.
    Instead he chose to ally himself and people with the Naherin.
    The Soreni hold much disdain for those of New Sor, seeing them as betrayers, and cowards, but the choice they made was final.

Conflict
    The Slavers frequently raid New Sor and Unaffiliated settlements for slaves.
    New Sor has understandably struck back against Slaver Camps, and liberated Sor and Naherin slaves.
    This has led to much disdain and hostility between these two factions.
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2020-09-20 at 02:48 PM.
    Empire!6
    Check it out. It's fun.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Dwarf in the Playground

I need a clarification about military movements and pressing claims.

I am led to understand that you do not need to be bordering a region to attempt to take control of it with military, as long as you have a path. However, the rules state that:
    Unclaimed regions with NPC troops will automatically attempt to intercept your forces if they move through the unclaimed region.
    Does this mean if you have established a claim on a region, those NPC units will not intercept? I'm looking at Role's conquest of 210 this round as an example, but want to make sure I have this correct before attempting the same thing myself (moving through 225 to reach 236).
    "It is in the compelling zest of high adventure and of victory, and in creative action, that man finds his supreme joys."
    ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Empire! 6 - The Vygra

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    Hello! I have a question.

On round 3, Clann Solais established a claim on region 117. On round 4, they pressed it. On round 5, they pressed it again. By my understanding, they should own the region now that Round 6 has started, but they're shown to still be pressing the claim. Is that intentional?
    It's complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwander View Post
    I need a clarification about military movements and pressing claims.

I am led to understand that you do not need to be bordering a region to attempt to take control of it with military, as long as you have a path. However, the rules state that:

Does this mean if you have established a claim on a region, those NPC units will not intercept? I'm looking at Role's conquest of 210 this round as an example, but want to make sure I have this correct before attempting the same thing myself (moving through 225 to reach 236).
    I think what happened is that both Dark and I missed that there was any opportunity for NPC interception at all since a route wasn't specified in the actions. Certainly I didn't notice that those troops were travelling through another region with troops in when I made a note of the battle details and Dark probably saw no reason to double-check.

Normally this is the sort of thing I would try to check but with about ten battles on this round and a lot of actions being posted/edited late it completely slipped my mind to do so.

Whether Dark wants to retcon in an attempted interception now or find some other way of dealing with this I don't kno; however, I don't think it is intentional that units in regions over which you have a claim will decline to intercept as standard.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

7. - Top - End - #367
    Dwarf in the Playground

however, I don't think it is intentional that units in regions over which you have a claim will decline to intercept as standard.
    If this is determined to be the case, could the quoted rule be updated to state 'Uncontrolled regions' instead of 'Unclaimed' for clarity?
    "It is in the compelling zest of high adventure and of victory, and in creative action, that man finds his supreme joys."
    ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Empire! 6 - The Vygra

8. - Top - End - #368

Also, you do need to have all your regions writteun up before creating a GK. I mention this only because I know Dark has withheld approval on some of those submitted so far.
    I'm making the GK this turn, and while Dark hasn't approved all my regions yet, he posted some feedback, of which I cleared up almost everything I think, and am waiting for more approval process. I hope overall the entire thing can be cleared up by the end of the round.

Also partly cause I want to submit the Roar Of The Hydra tactical doctrine soon as we're getting close ish to when I would be able to spend a Military 5 to obtain it, but I want to submit it when A, it's a less hectic time for the GMs and B, when these other ducks of mine are in a row.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Proposed Round 7 Mamut Event – to be reviewed by Mamut Locals, Rando and TheDarkDM (assuming I survive the Hunt )

Spoiler: Proposed Mamut Round 7 Event - Shaken not Stirred in Kursaal
    Show
    Fluff

Most cities fall into darkness when the sun goes to sleep – never Kursaal. Candles and lanterns are lit on most storefronts and the wine never stops flowing. The sounds of emeralds and copper exchanging hands is in the air and the voices of the carousers, the gamblers and the degenerates ring hollow, and yet mirthful, in the street. The stone buildings of the wealthy are also dressed in lights and the smoke of deals being made behind closed doors.

One such door though is open, although guarded by two large Goliaths, a mangy Uzii, a Scrim carved with two heads and even a gnarled and relatively small Deru. Hired thugs who have been given a single instruction – “Those you pay can play.” All others, presumably are left to their discretion and it is apparent that this rough bunch has very little of that.

The owner of this Mansion is Redit’Anco An’Uorg. An’Uorg is the most powerful crime boss in Kursaal. While not part of the ruling elite, the Ank’Anske, An’Uorg still moves around in the same circles and is often invited to many of the same events. The Ank’Anske have apparently delegated the management of the darker elements of Kursaal society to An’Uorg – better the devil you know, better the devil you are friends with, better keep the devil you keep on a leash.

An’Uorg, on his end, is not particularly happy with being considered second class, especially when the elite drink his wares and see his whores and are often in his debt. However, he is at the moment content in the arraignment given that the elite protect him from Ogra’s inquisition, which has expanded from just trying to root out the dark heretical cult that is seemingly pervasive in Targiz, to policing all manner of vices, of which Kursaal has plenty and An’Uorg controls the lion’s share.

Under this shadow, An’Uorg, wanting to solidify his power and perhaps expand it, decided to host an elite game of Heretic Dice, a game of some popularity in Kursaal and sent invitations to all other crime lords and other wealthy individuals involved in the black market throughout Mamut, with the hopes of creating a continental criminal consortium separate from their individual state authorities.

This will be night of dark elegance and criminal opulence!

Rules on Attendance

All attendees must provide 1 treasure to be admitted entrance.

Such treasure is automatically put into the Game Pot and all people entering legitimately are automatically included in the below game. As the host, the Targiz will not be providing any Treasure into the Pot or be eligible winners. If any player is low on Treasure but wants to participate – please see the Loan section below. If a player wins a large pot that will be over their treasure limit – please see the Bank Section below.

Note – given that this event requires a treasure this event will require a diplomacy action (since the attendant will have to mechanically attend give up the treasure). If a player wants to attend, and participate in the game, without using an action – they may take out a loan (since mechanically Targiz will be using its action to provide the treasure/gift and they may eventually accept the gift as a non-action). If they do take out a loan, please see Loans below.

A player may try to crash the event by getting past the guards. Trying to attend (through the front door) without providing treasure will have the guards try to stop your entry – they will merely be stopping you entering so will not be aiming to kill (they will roll 2d6 + half my leader’s mil score rounded up which is 5). You can also attempt to sneak in (through a window or servant’s door) without providing treasure by rolling Intrigue against my abysmal Intrigue (2d6+1), however if caught this way the Goliaths will not hold back in trying to kill you. Ties go to the guards.

The Game – Heretic Dice

Week 1 - The Players will be secretly sent (PMed in Discord) a number. I will roll 2d6s for each Number (and additional Numbers) in the Dice roll thread. Those are each player’s “Hands” – each player can use the number I send them to see their Hand – so each player knows each available hand but does not know whose hand is what (and since I will roll extra, players won’t know if any particular hand is actually in play or not!).

At this stage any player may “Raise the bid” by throwing in an additional treasure (any player can RP this with fluff or just send me a PM); all players that want to continue must also match that bid by throwing in an additional treasure. If any player is low on Treasure but wants to participate – please see the Loan section below. If no other player matches – the player that bid up automatically wins the pot. Players may also try to cheat round 1 – see cheating below. -Edited to reduce the total "raise" from 3 to 2.

Week 2 – All players that matched treasure in round 1 proceed to round 2 (or, if no one raised the bid then all players proceed to round 2). Round 2 (will start on October 11) I will roll in the dice thread 5 dice to form a “Common Hand”. Using your personal hand and the Common hand create the best hand you can have using the following rankings (with higher dice beating lower dice for the same hands):

• Five of a kind: e.g., 44444
    • Four of a kind: e.g., 22225
    • High straight: 23456
    • Full house: e.g., 66111
    • Three of a kind: e.g., 44432
    • Low straight: 12345
    • Two pair: e.g., 22551
    • Pair: e.g., 66532
    • Runt: e.g., 13456

At this stage any player may “Raise the bid” by throwing in an additional treasure (any player can RP this with fluff or just send me a PM); all players that want to continue must also match that bid by throwing in an additional treasure. If any player is low on Treasure but wants to participate – please see the Loan section below. If no other player matches – the player that bid up automatically wins the pot.

Once all remaining players match or pass I will reveal the winner and the winner gets the pot!

Cheating

During round 1 any player may PM me on discord to try to sneak a loaded dice or bribe the dealer to sneak a loaded dice before casting the “Common Hand”. The cheater will roll a 2d6 + their leader’s Intrigue score (or half, if their leader is not the one participating). The cheater may also simply donate a treasure to Targiz to automatically succeed in their cheating attempt without rolling. - Edited to make cheating by donating treasure subject to investigation.

There are 5 dice in the “Common Hand”. The player, when PMing me should choose one of them by listing the number (1, 2, 3, 4, or 5) and then also listing the number that they want the dice to land on. If multiple cheaters choose the same dice to load then the highest “cheating” score will win – if a tie then first “cheater” will win.

If any player believes that any other player is cheating they may roll an investigation and naming the player they think is cheating. If that player cheated by rolling intrigue then they will discover the cheat if their investigation score is higher than the cheater’s “cheating” score – if that player cheated by donating treasure, then they will not be able to discover the cheating the investigating player rolls against the accused intrigues score. Edited to make cheating by donating treasure subject to investigation.

If a cheat is discovered that player automatically forfeits - plus any additional RP Fluff Consequences by other players. The Cheat is undone as well (the Dice is rerolled) - Edited to clarify results of finding out a cheat.

Any player can RP this with fluff or just send me a PM.

Loans

The Targiz has a total of 5 Treasure of Loans to give out. Once it gives out 5 treasure with its loans no more loans are available.

The available levels of loans are:

• 1 Treasure Loan: Borrower to pay back 2 Treasure by the end of Round 10.
    • 2 Treasure Loan: Borrower to pay back 4 Treasure by the end of Round 12.

Mechanics of paying back your borrowed amount: you must spend a Diplomacy action to attend any amount of future events, ask a representative of Targiz to attend, and make a gift to Targiz of the relevant amount of Treasure at those events.

Any player can RP this with fluff or just send me a PM.

Bank

If the eventual winner ends up winning more from the Pot than their treasure limit (after subtracting any potential loan repayment which is automatic) they may, at the end of the event (such that they may use their new found wealth for trading) have the Targiz hold any amount of their winnings (to be discussed with Targiz). With one round advance notice, they may have Targiz attend an event and use a diplomacy action to give them any amount of treasure that the Targiz is holding for them. However, given the action cost involved, this will cost them 2 treasure from their holdings (additionally, Targiz can’t hold such amount forever, and will start subtracting 1 treasure per round from the holdings starting round 10 to add to its own account. Also if the amount held is 2 or below it will be automatically forfeited to the Targiz since that is below the "fee amount" anyway). - Edited to clarify.

Festivities

Outside the Game (described above), the attendees can walk around the mansion, partake of the finest cheeses, luxury wines, premium psychedelic plants and the most expensive whores) of either gender). They can make trades in smoke filled rooms or seek other darker delights (or engage in subterfuge and plots).
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2020-09-22 at 03:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Orc in the Playground

Hi, sorry to be that guy, I'm still waiting on confirmation about my own re-pressed claims, I wouldn't mention it except that someone else has already had a reply confirming their claim is complete and I am waiting on similar confirmation before I roll to explore from my newly acquired regions. I successfully pressed claims on regions 50 and 65 in round 4, and then pressed them again in round 5.
    I go by them/they/their pronouns, but I'm comfortable with he/him/his or she/her/hers.

Spoiler: STUFFS
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Yes... continue ignoring me... exactly as planned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    'Kay! Ignoring a ninja never hurt anyone.

Being terrible at being a wolf since always.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

Write-ups updated as per request.

Adzbark Wetlands
    Region 228

Spoiler: Geography
    Show
    The Adzbark Wetlands spread southwest of the lands of Veramondo proper. Numerous lakes and small rivers turn into marshes and fens across the low-lying area, leaving it very fertile and well-irrigated farmland. Larger lakes provide habitat for fish, and waterfowl are abundant in the area. Rice grows rampant here, spreading rapidly across the wetland in great patches, and providing an abundant food source to the locals.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    The Adzbark Wetlands are populated by a people called the Adz. These humans, of dark skin and green eyes, are a simple farming folk, with barely any interest or ability to produce weapons. They live in separate tribes, each family caring for its own and managing its own farmland. Tribes meet only rarely, to exchange goods and marry young people of appropriate age, but otherwise keep to themselves. Each tribe is led by a venerable old couple, who act as village elders and spiritual consultants. This disorganized and peaceful people was easily conquered by the Veramondi.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show
    Rice (Great)
    Rice is the primary product of the region. It grows abundantly in the marshes, and also in the paddies constructed by the natives. Rice features prominently culturally as well, with numerous metaphors being based around the cultivation of rice, and strips of rice paper used as a decorative feature on structures and clothing.

Spoiler: Faith
    Show
    The Adz practice Abiherism, but they are recent converts, and not especially devout. A large number of them adhere to their old beliefs, and it has become a point of contention with the Veramondi, who encourage the region to join the Way of Green.

Flaschorikia
    Region 229

Spoiler: Geography
    Show
    Flaschorikia is a region of wetlands and lakes, populated by a great variety of colorful birds. As travelers head south, the ground gets harder and dryer, and the air gets colder, cold enough to be uncomfortable for the Veramondi explorers who are used to tropical climes.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    The humans inhabiting Flaschorikia are called the Flamingo Chasers. They gained this name from a tradition where children try to catch a flamingo with their bare hands. They're a nomadic tribe of hunters and gatherers, catching birds and game, and eating shrimp collected from the muddy bottom of swamps and rivers. They have light skin and unusual pinkish hair. They adorn themselves with feathers in their hair and threaded onto their clothes. The Flamingo Chasers are led by their Pink Matriarch, a sort of queen or chieftess, whose ceremonial garment is a robe made of flamingo feathers. Her role is to consult the sun spirit of the Golden Mandate to determine the correct path to travel for maximum benefit. This is a highly complex ritual process often involving the sacrifice of treasure to the swamp (which is then occasionally recovered years later.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show
    Flamingoes (Good)
    The Flamingo Chasers capture and sell flamingoes to travelers as exotic pets. They're considered sacred animals, and as a result, killing or eating them is highly frowned upon.

Spoiler: Faith
    Show
    The Golden Mandate is a mercantile faith. It focuses on the collection of wealth and especially on the showcasing of it in beautiful clothing. The name is short for "The Golden Mantle of the Sun," and the emphasis on beauty is in reflection of the sun in its splendor. Flamingoes, clothed in pink feathers, and other beautiful and colorful creatures are sacred to the Golden Mandate, and may not be harmed.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #372
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Ko have a new hero in town...

Spoiler: Among the Ko's Trap-Fields
    Show
    “So how many more of these things are there?”

Granite sighed and looked down into the dark pit. Stunted but overgrown forms shuffle along at the bottom, bumping into each other as if in a daze. “Too many,” Granite grumbled.

The younger Ko nodded. “Well, they’re all dying now, right? Bird died, so they are—”

“Hand me the spear and shut up.”

The younger Ko clapped his mouth shut and did so.

Granite eyed the nearest shuffling form, a bulky Ko overgrown with vines and leaves. The muscles tensed in his arm and he drove the point of the spear through its head. A faint moan escaped its lips as it fell, and Granite had to work to hold onto the spear. He shook it several times until it came loose. He nodded, satisfied at the fallen body, and lined up for the next one, a female this time.

“See that one?” the younger Ko said, pointing. Granite was happier each second that he never bothered to learn the other male’s name. Too talkative. Couldn’t keep his mind on the job. “That one’s already fallen over. The vines looked dead.”
    Granite looked. He was not wrong, but Granite was still annoyed.

“Why are we even out here?” the younger Ko complained, “We don’t need to be. They’re dying on their own.”

Granite whacked the younger Ko with the butt of the spear. “Shut. Up.”

“Alright.” The younger Ko glowered at him and rubbed his tail where he’d been hit. “Old crumble-scale…”

The rest of the pit was dispatched shortly. Once all the bodies were down and stopped twitching, Granite moved on. He did not need
    this ‘hanger on’. He did not need someone to watch his back. These things were no threat, caught in a pit like this. Everything about this job was tedium.

He moved to the edge of the next pit and reached for the spear. The younger Ko handed it to him. With an appraising eye, he looked down and searched for a likely target. He frowned. “What the—”

A clawed hand shot up from the leafy mass at the bottom of the pit and buried itself in his shoulder. The pain did not hit him for a long moment. A massive head, shaped like a Ko’s but made of bark and wearing a crest of leafy boughs, rears up. Its eyes fix on his, the only fleshy part of its face. The pain hit Granite then, but with such a strength, like ice poured right into his veins, that he still could not scream.

The leafy mass unfurled from the bottom of the pit. Still vaguely Ko-shaped, but now larger than a Goliath, the thing pulls itself up and out. Its claws pin Granite to the ground, and their gazes remain locked. For the first time, Granite gets a good look at the Ko-thing.
    Its limbs are long, its body thin and emaciated. The scales are made from bark, and leafy boughs extends in a frill-like pattern down its back and over the crown of its head. Long, slender green sticks descend from under each arm, forming bat-like wings. When it opens its mouth, licking sap-slicked lips, its teeth are made of living, white wood dripping with poison.

“Months,” it rasps, “Months trapped inside my own head. Thicket gave me the wine. He gave it to me. The call. The call. Could not ignore the call. The flowers called to me. I could not refuse. I…” It chuckles. “I joined the walk. But then I fell. Then the flowers died, and I grew hungry.” With the cracking of wood, its mouth contorts into a grin. “I ate them. I ate the others. I consumed their flowers to feed mine. And now, the call is gone. But I remain.”

It leaned closer, the overwhelming scent of Amaryllis flower washing out from its mouth. “Tell Thicket,” it rasps, “That I lived.”

Granite finally finds the breath to scream.

Everyone say hello to Thorn.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
    Well, that's fantastic.
    Mmm. Give yourself a +2 to colonizing the region for your established ties to the old order.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Mmm. Give yourself a +2 to colonizing the region for your established ties to the old order.
    I was giving myself some time to stew on the Round Opener results before mentioning this. I'm glad that Aventine is gaining an advantage for his Colonize attempt in Region 41. He did put in effort to (a) beat the Uzii and stop them from taking the region and (b) start claiming it.

I look forward to the chance that you roll low and I can maybe roll high to sweep in and get the region

(It's a very small chance, and much smaller now, but it's plausible.)

That said... I've had a bit of time to consider the opener. I found that Homage Death-Grasp's glorious demise of jumping into the face of a Blightspawn was both humbling and satisfying. Thank you very much Dark for what I presume was your write-up (considering it was a big PLOT element). I know that the GM Team works hard on Openers, and the Head GM has additional responsibilities. So thank you.

Spoiler: Gengy Gripes For a Bit
    Show
    Buuuuuutttt... After winning a battle at 20+ or more - against a story-based enemy that they had righteous fury towards, - kicking the kiester of a Commander that was giving Zayuz some trouble, and finding the nest of a Blightspawn while being a [email protected] about it, the Uzii army gets...

...a cool story bro?

A whole lot of, mechanically, nothing. They watched their war leader die, they watched a giant blightspawn fly away, and then this huge army of (at that moment) 4 Units of Uzii and Hraban both looked at each other and said, "Well, that was fun. I hear there's a good waffle place in 42. Wanna get waffles?" and then walked off. (*Note, waffles probably an exaggeration.) The stated intent to claim the region was completely ignored in the face of a giant blightspawn owl dragon.

Which, I guess, if it hadn't died in the same opener, would make sense because heck, it would have made Region 33 a good region to be a "Blighted Region". And maybe that was implied a couple rounds ago and I missed it, but it was never explicitly stated. I've looked in all the openers since 33 was revealed. Multiple times. This lack of clarity led me to believe that I could claim the region after winning. From a fluff standpoint though, I get it. There's no one left in the region and it needs to be repopulated.

I just think that an invading army that was here to not only destroy flower zombies but also subjugate protect whatever was left of the locals would have stuck around, maybe established a forward camp for colonization or something. And I was trying to come into this with a reasoned viewpoint, but I think I lost my thread there. Probably because I do support the decision that Aventine should be rewarded for the effort he put into Region 41 somehow but at the same time, feel like the Uzii deserve some mechanical benefit towards 33 as well. Yet it is hard for me to ask for such a thing without making it sound like I'm whining or griping.

I won the battle and personally asked for my leader to be offed. I got a cool story out of it. And no region. Or benefit. Or even a cool new Blightspawn enemy to swear eternal hatred towards as a race, because the The Heavenly Amaryllis Dragon got offed by another Blightspawn (?) in the same round as it showed up. Don't get me wrong, the Uzii want to fight the Storm Bird now, but that's less "You killed our leader!" and more "Damn, that's big. I wanna kill it!"

So yeah. I guess, even after 24 hours of letting me cool my heels, I'm still a bit upset that I get a whole lotta nothing for winning a region in such a big manner and helping to stop a major Mamut Event.

I deeply - deeply - respect this team and community, and this tiny of a thing is barely a blip on the radar for me in the long run. If the final decision is that the Uzii just get a pat on the back and a thumbs up from Papi GM, I'll swallow any minor annoyances I have and get over it. Again.

Do you think the Uzii could maybe get a bonus too in Region 33? Or something for their efforts there? Thank you for reviewing this.

-----------------

Additionally, and slightly related, but only in as much as I maybe have misunderstood the rules (again) I asked a question in Discord but no one seemed to have a concrete answer for it. So I'm highlighting it here.

I freely admit that I have misunderstood the changes in the Rules between Empire 5 and Empire 6, several times now. That is on me and no one else.

Which is why I'm asking for some help in making it easier for me to understand how the results of the battle in Region 33 ended up with a total of (2) units lost. Here's the info as I see it. I'd appreciate it if people could help me figure out which part I'm misunderstanding.

[a] Both myself and ECat sent in 3 units each.
    [b] This gave us a total army of 6 units.
    [c] Each of our loss rolls occur individually, based on the results of the battle
    [d] In this case, we had a 20+ victory which - normally - means 0% losses
    [e] I successfully used Reckless Attack which not only pushed us into that 20+ victory, but also moved the casualty track up one. We're now at 10% losses.
    [f] At 3 units each, times 10%, we both lost 0.3 units. AFAIK, the nearest whole number to that is '0'.

The only thing I can figure is that I've misunderstood [f] and it's calculating at 6 units for each of us, at 10% for 0.6 units lost, which is how we both lost (1) unit.

I accept that a unit loss can occur. I want it clear that I'm not protesting the lost unit. I'm just trying to understand the math behind it for future fights.
    I guess my question(s) come in a few different parts, depending on where I am wrong.

1. Is my math correct; should the Hraban and the Uzii not have lost any units?
    2. If my math is wrong, where did I misunderstand how a - to use an old term - Coalition loses units?
    3. If a Coalition does lose units based on the Total Number of Units (in this case, 6) and not what they each brought individually (3 each), does that take away from each player the same number of units (0.6 units out of 3) or should it be a loss based on the Coalition Total Unit Count (0.6 units out of 6 total)?

Thank you!
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got my Master's Degree for games (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hey GMs, just to double check - I only rolled a 19 on my attempt to become Faith Head. Do I still need to spend a further action this round, or did something happen behind the scenes to nudge me up to 20?

16. - Top - End - #376
    Barbarian in the Playground

Do NPC regions you either have a claim on or are pressing a claim on not present barriers to troop movements? I had been expecting to deal with a +4 defenders bonus from using the river to travel to attack 218, but did not see any sign of it being in the dice rolls or battle results.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

17. - Top - End - #377
    Barbarian in the Playground

Consider this my official resignation from Empire 6. Thank you all for the fun. I will miss most of you.
    Thanks to Gengy for the avatar.

Rando delights in not being delightful - LapisCattis

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RandoMan View Post
    Consider this my official resignation from Empire 6. Thank you all for the fun. I will miss most of you.
    Rando, we owe you immense thanks for the work you've put in to characterize the organizations and help get every player involved in their workings. You were a great help to me in the GM Team, and I will miss your presence. I respect your decision to step back if you weren't enjoying your time, and I hope we cross paths again soon.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JBarca View Post
    Hey GMs, just to double check - I only rolled a 19 on my attempt to become Faith Head. Do I still need to spend a further action this round, or did something happen behind the scenes to nudge me up to 20?
    My understanding is that you will need to spend a further action.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolepgeek View Post
    Do NPC regions you either have a claim on or are pressing a claim on not present barriers to troop movements? I had been expecting to deal with a +4 defenders bonus from using the river to travel to attack 218, but did not see any sign of it being in the dice rolls or battle results.
    Frost was asking about this earlier. I think this was an oversight, as there wasn't a route specified in the action and I didn't pick up that it wasn't a contiguous region until after round open. It is possible that in fact this was a ruling by Dark that regions you have a claim over don't intercept but I think the oversight is more likely.

Retconning in an attempted interception now would be amusing but would be a lot of faff. Retconning in the +4 defenders' bonus probably makes more sense; that doesn't change the outcome anyway (albeit it might change the loss calculations?)

Damn, sorry you're going Rando. See you around.

Epinephrine_Syn
    , it's because you're making the GK this round that I raise it. You may need to chase Dark up to get him to review and approve the regions over the course of the round, especially if he wants you to make further revisions to them.

Gengy, I note your questions but the battle results were all done by Dark while I was asleep so I can't answer what happened there.

Silent_Interim, further to what I said in the Discord at the end of last round, if you were due to acquire regions through auto-successful claims last round then you can treat them as acquired. I didn't get round to updating the draft round opener between that conversation and round end. If either region has a unit in it you get up to 1 unit per region, which can be used immediately.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2020-09-21 at 03:44 PM.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

20. - Top - End - #380

Epinephrine_Syn
    , it's because you're making the GK this round that I raise it. You may need to chase Dark up to get him to review and approve the regions over the course of the round, especially if he wants you to make further revisions to them.
    Yeah, I understand that. I just feel guilty about "chasing" him up on the matter so early into the week, and that's before all the other stuff happened, cause I don't wanna put more onto his plate.

21. - Top - End - #381

BardGuy

Sorry to see you go Rando. I've really appreciated all the work you've put in.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Some questions:

1) If you are attacking region A and you are intercepted by NPC region B, lose the interception but win the battle against region B, do you conquer Region B?

2) Specifically for the Hunt, is the Hunt and their commander from Region 17 and thus is that region then undefended while it is attacking me, or is it in addition to that region’s commander and 2 units.
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2020-09-21 at 06:29 PM.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

If you are being intercepted in a region, you note whether you'd prefer to conquer that region or continue on towards your original destination should you get intercepted but win the fight.

The King's Hounds are independent of Region 17's defenders.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the quick answer!

25. - Top - End - #385

I'll post this here cause I'm not sure where I should post it right now, and add it somewhere else plus to my ic post later if need be.

The Simurgh (dsr bestiary submission)

Spoiler: The Simurgh
    Show

Kensu was disgraced after her loss to the Laughing Queen. It was not absolute, as her army was not routed, but she wasn't able to secure a victory against the orcs. They had superior numbers, *and also the hydra*.

Kensu simply couldn't return without something to show for it. She ventured further into orcish lands, a vagabond, being befriended by the dreamspeakers. Zora had much distaste for these figures, but wasn't outright hostile, so they were not hostile either.

They were now seeking out beasts of all mythical kinds, in particular in this region deep into orcish territory called The Simurgh. Those creatures were dangerous, and kensu had even bested one as it ambushed her, but she was informed that this rumor was not what they sought.

They sought out [b]The[b] Simurgh, a rare beast rumored to have developed the twilight sight and gone mad, using it's mythical abilities to interfere in the dreams of those nearby and delighting in spiraling entire villages into chaos via butterfly effects and crazy machinations.

Was this a folk take made up by random citizens to justify stuff like cannibals or diseases? Or dreamspeakers assuming something malicious interfered with the dream sight of those already having mastered it rather than a more mundane cause? Probably.

Was it something for kensu to seek out to prove her worth? Most definitely. Even if she didn't find anything she'd curry some favor with these dreamspeakers (who, from the orcs that she spoke to on her travels, weren't actually that bad) and thus in turn have something glorious to present to the queendom back at home.

Or she might fall prey to the simurghs curse and become a demented psycho. Who knows?

26. - Top - End - #386
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Dark, there was discussion in discord about region 44 and how it probably should have been under fog-of-war but wasn't. You suggested making it wilderness. Was that a final decision, or are you still thinking about how to handle it?

(Also, in case you missed it, the tables have a great source of cloth in the region, presumably left over from the original draft write-up that never got finished. Cloth sounds nice and useful, but it just seems wrong to have a great source of it in the wilderness.)

27. - Top - End - #387
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dreamspeakers Menagerie
    A haiku:
    Bestiary sub-
    mission, this is a Crosspost
    from writing prompts: Link!

This is an awful haiku, but hey, I though: "I can make this a haiku!" So I did.
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2020-09-22 at 03:08 PM.
    Empire!6
    Check it out. It's fun.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

Contribution to the Dreamspeaker's Menagerie:

Spoiler: The Study
    Show
    The smell from the hut was rank, if one ventured inside they would have found clay pots of various animal limbs held in flower wine that had turned into vinegar. Some of the clay pots held half-preserved eyes that bobbed on the surface of the liquid with accusing gazes. On the ways were various insects with copper pins struck through them, holding them in place. They were long dead and one could see that the hut’s inhabitant had taken them apart, wing-by-wing, leg from thorax. On the wall were planks of wood each holding for display a transversed hound – the cross sections allowing one visage onto its organs, long turned black from rot. Throughout the hut were vellum tablets with runes and drawings of the dissections.

A rustling from the wheat maze beyond the hut and from it emerges a human with a feverish air. In his hands, he held a sack the seemed to struggle from within. Whatever was held inside was trying desperately to escape – but the sack was made of strong leather and the creature could not rip it apart. The man entered his hut and placed the sack onto the floor, the sack still rustling and struggling. The man poured himself some water from a jug that held the stale drink – and he waited; the sack after all was closed shut and all animals needed to breathe – soon the sack would be still. For now the fight from inside grew more violent and desperate. Eventually, an hour later – the man staring at the bag with fascination the entire time – the struggle died and it was silent. The man waited another hour before he opened the bag.

Within, he pulled out his prize – a Reaper-Folk!

He had heard of these creatures in Kursaal and had moved into Nal Dryb to find one, but they were extremely elusive. The Reaper-Folk are shy, small fleeting, Fae-like creatures of the grain worshipped by the people of Nal-Dryb. They flit between the beards and the stems of the wheat like flies and birds, and even sleep in the wheat in place of kernels.

Dead and pulled out the bag the man could see that the Reaper-Folk was a small insectoid with six iridescent wings, two eyes that were cloudy and the color of Maize, two sharp scythes in place on its raptorial legs; and most fascinating – it had the face of youthful humanoid child. The child’s face looked like it could be asleep – dreaming of flying in the wind above the ocean of wheat and other pleasant thoughts. The man laughed with excitement and began looking through his hut for cooper pins and his knife.

First, he took off the Reaper-Folk’s wings and pinned them to the wall. The wings were beautiful – almost shimmering like a reflective rainbow. He took off the creature’s legs – specifically its scythe like raptorial. He took the leg and ran some nuts over it and marveled at how cleaned they were sliced. He thanked himself for bringing such a heavy bag to capture the creature; a lesser vessel would have been cut to ribbons.

Finally, dissected he stared at the creatures face – that child’s face serene now but with eyes wide open – eyes the color of maize. He plucked them out with a pin and added them to his eye jar where they floated like two gold coins in a pond of debris. He then carefully carved the face off the creature wondering if he would see a mammal’s skull and innards or if the skin was merely stretched over an insect’s exoskeleton.

To his delight after removing the skin (which like everything else he documented, he stretched onto a plank of wood with cooper pins and drew on his vellum), he beheld a skull much in the shape of a baby human. He was no stranger to such skulls, there was a reason he was living in Kursaal instead of human lands; luckily the citizens of the Goliath city understood the discretion that is afforded to a man of means. He took out a small hammer and cracked the skull and beheld the child’s brain, he scooped it out and placed it on a clay bowl and wrote:

“The Reaper-Folk, while appearing wild, possess a mind that is proportional to any human, Uzii or Goliath. I would hypothesize that they are less like dogs and other animals then they are like people. Dangerous people that is – their legs are sharper than any known metal and could cut straight through bone.” – He cackled, happy in the knowledge that the Dreamspeakers would pay him handsomely for such a study. Putting aside the work, he went back to his work – flecks of dark purple blood flecking his hands and tools as he worked. The flies descending as night came drawn to the smell of death and insanity.
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2020-09-22 at 03:24 PM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Great to see people getting into the menagerie: I've created a new thread to make the entries easier to find:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...0#post24721920

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

30. - Top - End - #390

Because it might be relevant for other players, if you attend/host an event, can you trade to gift stuff with people who only non-action attend that event? I know the gift action will suffice for a general Dip action, but I'm not 100% sure if that rule interacts properly with Events.