New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground CIV

Sorry for the double post...is there any chance for a short time bonus? my build got a lot more complicated (and fun!) than I thought, and I reaallly want to submit this round...pretty please?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

I've currently got no submissions, so I think and extension might be helpful for everyone. My ability to post during the week is essentially nonexistant, so would we be ok with an extra week?
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

That'd work for me. I've got a mostly finished build, but I don't think I can finish the write-up over this weekend, and I definitely should be able to fix it over the next.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Another week would let me maybe come up with a backstory, and I wouldn't mind some more time to play with the crunch to see if I can iron out some rough spots. I'm definitely intending to get a build in though!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Then it's settled. In the interests of better competition (and because the forum is acting up), the deadline is extended 1 week until Sunday August 2nd.
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I am basically finished, and have been for days, just need to touch up some things. I've had no time for this, mostly for nice reasons, but I can surely submit 1 dish and perhaps even 2 if we have an extra week.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Submitted!
    (I think. I don't really know the PM system that well and I had some issues wrapping my head around the code formatting for the tables. Hopefully everything'll turn out fine.)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

And that's time! Step back from your stations. Let's see what the chefs have prepared for us today!
    (Please hold off on posting until I give the all clear)
    Awards

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalashtar Jones/I got them Kalashtar Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Kalashtar Jones
    Kalashtar Jones, the Monkey King

Listen careful and well to the terrible tale of the miserable kalashtar Jones/
    He was brave and courageous, his wrath instantaneous, he ravaged his enemies’ bones.
    He walked into the plains, with naught but his brains, poor old kalashtar Jones/
    And was torn tooth to nail, he couldn't prevail, so mauled he got by babones.

Yes I know it’s baboons, but when weaving the tunes, rhyming must precedence take/
    And so kalashtar Jones was laid on the stones, to breathe his last breaths by the lake.
    But he regained his might, cursed blood flamed alight, oh, what a terrible ache! /
    With his spirit at war, he then solemnly swore, to walk in his ancestors’ wake.

He was never at rest, rushing mission to quest, searching distractions indeed/
    Inside the poor blight, there was blossoming light, but self-hating - he paid it no heed.
    Until one day at dawn, with a kiss from a faun, there was planted within him a seed/
    One of balance of soul, of acceptance made whole, and peace with himself he achieved.

Both present and past, beast and dream coalesced, he became a lord of two thrones/
    And thus ends the tale, as weaved by T. Whale, of the monkey king, kalashtar Jones.

Spoiler: Ability scores
    Show

At level 1: 16 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 14 WIS, 8 INT, 8 CHA
    At ECL 5 (Hybrid form assumed): 20 STR, 20 DEX, 16 CON, 16 WIS, 8 INT, 8 CHA
    At ECL 20 (Hybrid form, morphic body, level to STR): 28 STR, 20 DEX, 20 CON, 16 WIS, 8 INT, 8 CHA.

Spoiler: Table
    Show

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Decisive strike cobra strike monk 1 +0 +2 +2 +2 Concentration 4, climb 4, balance 4 Touch of golden ice, B: Dodge Unarmed strike, decisive strike, AC bonus
    2nd Animal 1 +0 +4 +4 +2 Concentration 4, Climb 5, balance 4 - +8 to climb, take 10.
    3rd LA +0 +4 +4 +2 Concentration 4, Climb 5, balance 4 - Lycanthropy
    4th LA +0 +4 +4 +2 Concentration 4, Climb 5, balance 4 - Lycanthropy
    5th Monk 2 +1 +5 +5 +3 Concentration 6, Climb 5, balance 5 Stand still, B: Mobility evasion
    6th Psychic warrior 1 +1 +7 +5 +3 Concentration 7, Climb 5, balance 5 B: Combat reflexes Power: expansion
    7th Psychic warrior 2 +2 +8 +5 +3 Concentration 8, Climb 5, balance 5 B: Power attack Power: Inertial armor
    8th Atavist 1 +2 +8 +7 +5 Concentration 8, Climb 5, balance 5, tumble 3 Practiced manifester: psychic warrior Call to mind, spiritual lineage: aggressive, unarmed strike improvement
    9th Atavist 2 +3 +8 +8 +6 Concentration 8, Climb 5, balance 5, tumble 6 - Augmented mindlink, Defensive insight
    10th Atavist 3 +4 +9 +8 +6 Concentration 8, Climb 5, balance 5, tumble 7, autohypnosis 1 - supportive mindlink +1
    11th Atavist 4 +5 +9 +9 +7 Concentration 8, Climb 5, balance 5, tumble 8, autohypnosis 3 Elusive target Detect possession
    12th Atavist 5 +5 +9 +9 +7 Concentration 8, Climb 5, balance 5, tumble 9, autohypnosis 5 - Spiritual focus
    13th Atavist 6 +6 +10 +10 +8 Concentration 8, Climb 7, balance 5, tumble 10, autohypnosis 5 - Supportive mindlink +2
    14th Atavist 7 +7 +10 +10 +8 Concentration 8, Climb 10, balance 5, tumble 10, autohypnosis 5 Deft Opportunist Quori Hunter
    15th Atavist 8 +8 +10 +11 +9 Concentration 8, Climb 13, balance 5, tumble 10, autohypnosis 5 - Dismissing strike
    16th Atavist 9 +8 +11 +11 +9 Concentration 8, Climb 16, balance 5, tumble 10, autohypnosis 5 - Personal Mindblank
    17th Atavist 10 +9 +11 +12 +10 Concentration 9, Climb 18, balance 5, tumble 10, autohypnosis 5 Sidestep Spiritual union
    18th Warshaper 1 +9 +13 +12 +10 Concentration 9, Climb 19, balance 5, tumble 10, autohypnosis 5 - Morphic Immunities, Morphic weapons
    19th Warshaper 2 +10 +14 +12 +10 Concentration 9, Climb 20, balance 5, tumble 10, autohypnosis 5 - Morphic Body
    20th Warshaper 3 +11 +14 +13 +11 Concentration 9, Climb 21, balance 5, tumble 10, autohypnosis 5 Improved natural attack: unarmed strike. Morphic reach

Spoiler: snapshots:
    Show

ECL 5: At this point in his career, kalashatar Jones gets a lot of mileage from his lycanthropy. He’s got boosted stats keeping him somewhat competitive despite his atrocious BAB, he’s got decent AC due to his natural armor, Wis, and Dex, and he’s relying on his DR quite heavily. Touch of golden Ice also helps him stay competitive despite his early lycanthropy, and stand still is already in play, though at this point it’s likely that he’d be better off using a normal AOO - which is likely to do double damage, assuming he got his decisive strike the previous round. Mobility lets him move around the battlefield despite not having tumble at this point.
    He's also a very good climber and probably has a climb speed, though this is unlikely to come up outside of climbing to the top of temples to meditate.

ECL 10: 3 levels into atavist. With practiced manifester already in play, he should be able to use expansion for battles. He’ll have enough PP for extended inertial armor and 2 extended expansions next level. If it’s looking like a 6 round battle or so, he’s good to go with a normal use of expansion for now. The reach it gives him already allows him to use his signature fighting style - Hit an enemy with a decisive strike, and then hold in place or hit anyone trying to move around you. With combat reflexes and a DEX score of 20, he’s got plenty of AOOs to spare. At this point in life, the defensive insight class feature gets a lot of use, though it’ll be rendered irrelevant later on. Augmented/supportive mindlink helps the party as a whole, and unarmed damage already starts increasing, getting to a 1d8 at this point in time.

ECL 15: Almost finished with the SI. The reach and damage increase makes the monkey king’s signature tactic much more powerful, making him very hard to get by or even to get to. Deft opportunist helps a lot, and elusive target helps neutralise any enemy managing to get to him. Quori hunter is in play, making it easier to bypass DR, and so is dismissive strike.

ECL 20: Every level leading up to this point from the last snapshot is huge. Personal mindblank comes online, then spiritual union - allowing to double down on decisive strike in appropriate situations. This level also gives sidestep, allowing superior tactical options and making the use of full round actions more bearable. The levels of warshaper bring immunities, a Con bonus, better unarmed damage, a strength boost, and finally, as an appropriate build capstone, more reach – coupled with a feat to give even more damage dice. At his peak, while expanded, the monkey king has 3 reach benefits (Morphic, aggressive, expanded) and does 6d6 damage, usually doubled. He’s extremely difficult to bypass, he’s very good at resisting being shut down (Good saves, evasion, personal mindblank, morphic immunities), and he can dish out damage when he needs to - despite his trashy BAB.

He’s also an excellent climber, as a baboon should be.

Spoiler: On Atavism:
    Show
    The monkey king is a protector of his companions, and he’s all about battlefield control, using the synergy of his feats and his decisive strike class feature to stop enemies in their track. Atavist gives him the damage dice to do this properly, gives him the extended range he needs on top of expansion and morphic reach, and gives him the option of an extra action to make his decisive strike truly devastating. As a martial character, personal mindblank is big for him as well, and the augmented supportive mindlink helps his party members as with anyone else. Like personal mindblank, dismissive strike is especially useful to him because he’s otherwise almost completely mundane, and has no powers or spells to replicate its effect.

The only abilities he gets nothing from are call to mind and defensive insight. He will nearly always be better off with the extra reach or extra standard action. It is only of use to him before atavist level 5, and could probably still be situationally useful up to atavist level 10.

Spoiler: Sources
    Show
    Unearthed Arcana: Cobra strike monk ACF.

Player’s handbook II: Decisive strike monk ACF.

Book of Exalted Deeds: Touch of golden ice feat.

Monster’s manual: Lycanthropy, Baboon, Improved natural attack.

Complete warrior: Warshaper class, elusive target feat.

Complete adventurer: Deft opportunist feat.

Miniature’s handbook: Sidestep feat.

Expanded psionics handbook: Psychic warrior class and powers, Stand still feat, practiced manifester feat.

Races of Eberron: Atavist class, kalashtar race.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2020-08-02 at 10:19 AM.
    Awards

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

They said you had to be crazy to enter this class.

Quote Originally Posted by Anidina the Mad
    The Iron Chef optimization challenge in the playground is proud to present...

Anidina the Mad!

A besieger! A deceiver! An out-of-the-box spiritual leader! You wanna hear about her? Then come hither, come hither!

Spoiler: Death of the author
    Show

Spoiler: Fragment 1
    Show
    “Her father dropped her off when she was about ten or eleven years old. He refused to elaborate on why he was leaving her with us, or on why he didn’t go to one of his people’s monasteries. Essentially, he made it clear that he was leaving, and that the child was ours to do with as we choose.

“Well, we didn’t really know what to do with her, to be honest. We gave her lessons and kept her mostly in the garden and the library. She has shown a fascination with her people’s ways and history, which we attempted to encourage, and with fighting, weaponry, and military theory, which we discouraged in absolute terms.

“She ran away with a group of adventurers when she was 15, and never came back.”

- An account by Mahaya, High priestess of Ehlonna, on Anidina’s childhood. Modern scholars believe that it is a complete fabrication, forged by one of Anidina’s followers shortly after the so-called ‘battle of the boar.’

Spoiler: Fragment 2
    Show
    “Harmony, I say unto you, is at the heart of everything. Disharmony is but an illusion. They call themselves atavists, the fools. Atavism assumes the past is any different than the present. Past, present, future – they are all but fractions of the dream. The dream is the only possible reality.

“And the dream is a lie.”

- Excerpt from the ‘Teachings and Misdirections of Anidina The Mad’.

Spoiler: Fragment 3
    Show
    “Victory! Our enemies lay dead in the sand, and we live to love another day! The battle of the boar, and the heroism of our leader Anidina, shall echo through the ages!”

A pamphlet passed around Kalashtar communities after the victory at event known as the battle of the boar. Whether or not the battle actually occurred is heatedly debated among historians.

Spoiler: Fragment 4
    Show
    “Is she an atavist, a true atavist? Despite everything, I am inclined to say yes. She may deny it all she wants, now, but she is a warrior at heart. She has always taken the battle to the powers of darkness. Now, instead of outright killing them, she’ll cheat and lie and subdue and dismiss – but she still uses the same tools she always had, tools of war. As insane as she may pretend to be, I think she’s an important ally of our cause, and a true champion of the light.

“I just wish she would stop talking for a single ****ing second.”

- The slayer in white, an atavist and a folk hero, giving his account of Anidina shortly before he was revealed as one of her secret agents.

Spoiler: Fragment 5
    Show
    “Some people, on the other hand, live in search of the truth. They are absolutely devoted to it, or so they claim. They will put truth above all else – yet they are unable to truly explain it. ‘What is truth?’ You will ask them, and they will point to an ancient library, or begin a sermon of their faith, or simply lift their bow and shoot a single arrow into the distance. Those who would attempt to define it will eventually retreat to describing the differentiation between fact and non-fact – an important differentiation, surely, but is it one that is worth devoting one’s self to, entirely? ‘Why?’ You ask, and they cannot answer.

“There is inherent truth about reality within the texts of the Talariic codex. A truth of violence, a truth of war and its unavoidable exigencies. A truth that can chain anyone to its will, lead them to the unavoidable conclusion that the cruelty of war is inevitable. It is a truth.

“I will tell you something about truth. Truth is useful, it is insightful, it is important – but it is not a good unto itself. Peace, I say unto you, is greater than the truth. As is love. We, who practice the old way, know that what some call “reality” is nothing but an aspect of the infinite dream. To choose light over darkness, love over hatred, peace over war – these are all greater than the truth, and they do not truly hinge upon it, as some would have you believe.

“You want to fight in the war? You want to be a hero of our people, a sharer of ancient truth? This day I say unto you: Do not argue with your husband, do not disprove your wife. With your words, do not convey what is true and just and fair and right. Convey only that which will benefit, convey that which is in service of the peace. Bow your head and accept what comes, for peace is greater than justice, greater than truth. Only within peace is true order, true harmony. Only peace is the way to victory. Peace is greater than the truth.

“But, from this there arises a question:

“Why should you believe me when I tell you any of that?”

- Excerpt from the ‘Teachings and Misdirections of Anidina The Mad’.

Spoiler: The paradox of identity
    Show
    Anidina the Mad; LG kalashtar Cloistered cleric of Ehlonna 1/ fighter 2/ paladin 2/ atavist 10/ warmind 5.
    Abilities: STR 14, DEX 8, CON 14, INT 14, WIS 14, CHA 15. All increases to CHA, vop increases to CHA, STR, CON, INT.

Spoiler: A table by any other name…
    Show

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Cloistered cleric 1 +0 +2 +0 +2 Knowledge (religion) 4, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 4, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 4, diplomacy 4. Sacred vow, B: Knowledge devotion, B: Animal devotion, B: Plant devotion Turn undead, spells.
    2nd Fighter 1 +1 +4 +0 +2 Knowledge (religion) 4, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 4, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 5, diplomacy 4, intimidate 2. B: Power attack -
    3rd fighter 2 +3 +5 +0 +2 Knowledge (religion) 4, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 4, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 6, diplomacy 4, intimidate 4. Vow of poverty, B:improved unarmed strike -
    4th Paladin 1 +3 +7 +0 +2 Knowledge (religion) 4, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 4, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 6, diplomacy 4, intimidate 4, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5. B: Nymph’s kiss Detect evil, Smite evil
    5th Paladin 2 +4 +8 +0 +2 Knowledge (religion) 7, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 4, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 8, diplomacy 4, intimidate 4, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5. - Lay on hands, Divine grace
    6th Atavist 1 +4 +8 +2 +4 Knowledge (religion) 7, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 4, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 8, diplomacy 8, intimidate 4, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5, sense motive 3. Force of personality, B: touch of golden ice Call to mind, unarmed strike, spiritual lineage: sociable
    7th Atavist 2 +5 +8 +3 +5 Knowledge (religion) 7, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 4, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 8, diplomacy 8, intimidate 4, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5, sense motive 5, bluff 5. - Augmented mind link, defensive insight.
    8th Atavist 3 +6 +9 +3 +5 Knowledge (religion) 7, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 4, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 8, diplomacy 11, intimidate 4, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5, sense motive 5, bluff 5, knowledge (psionics) 4. B: Gift of grace Supportive mindlink
    9th Atavist 4 +7 +9 +4 +6 Knowledge (religion) 7, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 4, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 8, diplomacy 12, intimidate 4, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5, sense motive 5, bluff 5, knowledge (psionics) 8, Knowledge (history) 2. Divine might Detect possession
    10th Warmind 1 +8 +11 +6 +6 Knowledge (religion) 7, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 4, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 8, diplomacy 12, intimidate 9, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5, sense motive 5, bluff 5, knowledge (psionics) 8, Knowledge (history) 2. B: Nimbus of light Chain of personal superiority, New power: Force screen
    11th Atavist 5 +8 +11 +6 +6 Knowledge (religion) 7, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 4, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 8, diplomacy 12, intimidate 9, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5, sense motive 5, bluff 12, knowledge (psionics) 8, Knowledge (history) 2. - Spiritual focus
    12th Atavist 6 +9 +12 +7 +7 Knowledge (religion) 7, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 5, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 8, diplomacy 15, intimidate 9, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5, sense motive 5, bluff 15, knowledge (psionics) 8, Knowledge (history) 2. Ascetic knight, B: vow of purity -
    13th Atavist 7 +10 +12 +7 +7 Knowledge (religion) 7, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 7, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 8, diplomacy 16, intimidate 9, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5, sense motive 5, bluff 16, knowledge (psionics) 8, Knowledge (history) 5. - Quori hunter
    14th Atavist 8 +11 +12 +8 +8 Knowledge (religion) 7, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 12, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 8, diplomacy 17, intimidate 9, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5, sense motive 5, bluff 17, knowledge (psionics) 8, Knowledge (history) 5. B: holy radiance Dismissing strike
    15th Warmind 2 +12 +13 +9 +8 Knowledge (religion) 7, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 12, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 8, diplomacy 17, intimidate 14, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5, sense motive 5, bluff 17, knowledge (psionics) 8, Knowledge (history) 5. Snap kick Chain of defensive posture, New power: Claws of the beast
    16th Warmind 3 +13 +13 +9 +9 Knowledge (religion) 7, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 12, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 8, diplomacy 17, intimidate 19, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5, sense motive 5, bluff 17, knowledge (psionics) 8, Knowledge (history) 5. B: vow of nonviolence Enduring body
    17th Warmind 4 +14 +14 +10 +9 Knowledge (religion) 7, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 12, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 12, diplomacy 17, intimidate 20, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5, sense motive 5, bluff 17, knowledge (psionics) 8, Knowledge (history) 5. - New power: Hustle
    18th Warmind 5 +15 +14 +10 +9 Knowledge (religion) 7, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 12, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 14, diplomacy 17, intimidate 21, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5, sense motive 5, bluff 17, knowledge (psionics) 10, Knowledge (history) 5. psionic meditation, B: Vow of peace Sweeping strike
    19th Atavist 9 +15 +15 +10 +9 Knowledge (religion) 7, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 12, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 15, diplomacy 20, intimidate 21, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5, sense motive 5, bluff 20, knowledge (psionics) 10, Knowledge (history) 5. - Personal mindblank
    20th Atavist 10 +16 +15 +11 +10 Knowledge (religion) 7, knowledge (nature) 4, knowledge (arcana) 4, knowledge (the planes) 12, knowledge (local) 4, knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, concentration 17, diplomacy 23, intimidate 21, knowledge (royalty and nobility) 5, sense motive 5, bluff 23, knowledge (psionics) 10, Knowledge (history) 5. B: words of creation Spiritual union

Spoiler: What is time?
    Show

Level 5: Just before becoming an atavist, Anidina plays the part of a careful frontline/face/library. She utilizes her devotion feats to augment her damage, as she’s already unarmed and using VOP. Divine grace is already helpful, with decent CHA that is only going to get better. She can cast a couple of cleric spells a day, which is nice. She can get a little flight 1/day, which is very important to her because of her VOP.

Level 10: She’s a better face already, and she’s hopefully still doing decent in the fighting department. With just 1 level of manifester, force screen is picked to ensure effectiveness – it’s duration is pretty much as relevant at ML 1 as it’ll ever be, and it stacks with her VOP defences. Divine might gets plenty of uses, and should keep her damage scaling decently. She’s an important support as well at this point in time, having access to supportive mindlink as well as to share grace and 1st level cleric spells.

Level 15: 8 levels of the SI are done, and another level of warmind brings claws online. Together with Snap kick, her number of attacks significantly rises in this level. Knowledge devotion + divine might + spiritual focus should all do their part to keep her attacks pretty effective, despite no THF and no precision damage. As a face she’s doing great: she’s 1 point short of full points in bluff and diplomacy, and she has nymph’s kiss, high CHA, and all the synergies one could ask for.

Level 20: Everything comes online. Personal mindblank, spiritual union, Sweeping strike, hustle + psionic meditation – it’s all here. She should be hitting two squares 7 or 8 times a round (2 claws, 4 Unarmed BAB, 1 snap kick, 1 hustle+psionic meditatiom+spirutial union.) She manages to keep decent HP and ok defences. As a face – well, she has 28 CHA unless someone casts eagle’s splendour on her, she has synergies and bonuses, she has bluff and diplomacy maxed out and intimidation is only 2 points short.

Spoiler: It is only a dream
    Show

Atavist serves Anidina the MAD quite well. A good damage die is important to her, as she attacks a lot and every bit counts. Call to mind is extremely useful to her (well, relatively to how useful it is for most). She has a LOT of knowledge skills with low to mid ranks, so +4 and a retry goes a long way. Of course, spiritual lineage is critical for her, as are spiritual focus and the passive of spiritual union – She gets to max out the most important social skills and gets bonuses to them, and a small bonus to attack and damage is more important to someone that strikes as much as she does than to most. Defensive insight is always the alternative option, until the very end when expending focus on anything besides spiritual union becomes suboptimal.

Anidina is also somewhat built around being able to offer more support surrounding the supportive mindlink ability. The idea is giving the person in front more advantages when dungeon crawling. She can pour her significant CHA bonus to the rouge’s saves as they scout ahead, and then take it back when appropriate. She can also offer very weak 1st level cleric buffing, if necessary. Detect possession need not be wasted when detect evil at will is present. While it could be seen as undermining it, my point of view is that it allows a screening stage before expending psionic focus.

Dismissing strike shows up shortly before Anidina swears a vow of nonviolence, and it gives her some serious options for cases when just doing subdual damage doesn’t fly. Mind shielding supports personal mindblank, by allowing it to be used only in confrontational situations, and not simply as a disguising factor. The capstone is used in congress with hustle and psionic meditation to replace a swift action with a standard action at the cost of 3 PP – which is useful for buffing, hitting, and pretty much everything else.

Unfortunately Quori hunter is redundant.

Spoiler: There is no learning, only remembering
    Show
    From the Book of Exalted Deeds: the exalted feats.

From the Complete Adventurer: the ascetic knight and force of personality feats.

From the Complete Champion: the devotion feats.

From the Complete Warrior: the divine might feat.

From the Expanded Psionics Handbook: the warmind class; the Claws of the Beast, Hustle, and Force Screen Powers; the psionic meditation feat.

From the Races of Eberron: the atavist class; the kalashtar race.

From the Tome of Battle: the snap kick feat.

From the Unearthed Arcana: the cloistered cleric class.
    Awards

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Gee Bill! How come your mom lets you have two epithets?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisil
    Kaisil, saint of shining onyx, the Kalashtar battery

Spoiler: Kaisil, the font of infinity
    Show
    Spoiler: Picture
    Show

Backstory
    Spoiler
    Show

Kaisil was born to rise into perfection. And it is good that this was the way, since the little kid blessed with psychic ability had a long mountain to climb. Born to a famed monk who established her urban monastery in a big city, Kaisil was one of the many children of the Homeless ascetic. She taught her children how to fight, concentrate, summon their inner forces in order to achieve perfection. Kaisil kept believing in self perfection all of his life, but eventually he understood that the urban monastery of the glowing mind would not be where he found the Answers. While his mother saw beauty and grace in being a passive receptacle of the world around her, which is why she chose the big city as a place of residence - he wanted to perfect himself by actively going against the world.
    He went on and became a wandering warrior, challenging enemies in order to push himself to the edge. Eventually, his constant struggle to improve himself reached a certain ceiling. He was stuck in place, and could not get any further. Alone and frustrated, he wandered around, trying to become the ideal of order and perfection. But even his powers pushed him to travel, to connect, and to manifest that connection...they pushed him towards the understanding that perfection cannot be achieved alone.

He found himself an ally, a magical creature that agreed to help him and together they went on the journey for true perfection. He reconnected with his mother and her tradition, realizing the strength that comes with connection to who he was. Eventually, he managed to tap into true power - and decided to dedicated the rest of his life to stop people who sever the connections between peoples, to destroy all those who seek to prevent mortals from achieving perfection, by any means necessary.
    He became the saint of the shining onyx, the font of infinity.

Chassis
    Spoiler
    Show
    Abilities (1st level): Str 12 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 14 Cha 8
    Abilities(20th level): Str 12 Dex 18 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 16 Cha 8
    Race: Kalashtar
    Alignment: LN
    Classes: Passive way kalashtar monk 3/Fighter 1/Incarnate 2/Swordsage 2/Atavist 2/Psionic fist 5/Ebon saint 5

Build advancement
    Spoiler
    Show
    1st Monk (passive way) +0 +2 +2 +2 Concentration 4, disguise 4, hide 4, move silently 4, balance 4, spot 4 combat expertise, Improved unarmed strike, City slicker Unarmed strike, Decisive fist, Bonus feat
    2nd Monk (kalashtar sub-level) +1 +3 +3 +3 Concentration 5, disguise 5, hide 5, move silently 5, balance 5, spot 5 Earth sense Bonus feat, feign death
    3rd Monk +2 +3 +3 +3 Concentration 6, disguise 6, hide 6, move silently 6, balance 6, spot 6 Earth power still mind
    4th Fighter +3 +5 +3 +3 Concentration 7, disguise 7, hide 7, move silently 7, balance 6, spot 6 Improved feint Bonus feat
    5th Incarnate +3 +7 +3 +5 Concentration 8, disguise 8, hide 8, move silently 8, balance 6, spot 6 Soulmelding, aura, detect opposition
    6th Incarnate +4 +8 +3 +6 Concentration 8, disguise 8, hide 8, move silently 8, balance 8, spot 8 Wild cohort Soul bind (crown)
    7th Swordsage +4 +8 +5 +8 Concentration 10, disguise 10, hide 10, move silently 10, balance 8, spot 8 Weapon focus (Unarmed strike) Quick to act +1, discipline focus, Maneuvers, Stances
    8th Swordsage +5 +8 +6 +9 Concentration 11, disguise 11, hide 11, move silently 11, balance 10, spot 10 Maneuvers, Stances, AC bonus
    9th Atavist +5 +8 +8 +11 Concentration 11, disguise 11, hide 11, move silently 11, balance 10, spot 10 , bluff 6 Wild talent Call to mind, UAS improvement, Spiritual lineage (sociable)
    10th Atavist +6/1 +8 +9 +12 Concentration 12, disguise 12, hide 12, move silently 12, balance 10, spot 10 , bluff 8 Augmented mind link, Defensive insight
    11th Psionic fist +6/1 +8 +11 +14 Concentration 12, disguise 12, hide 12, move silently 12, balance 11, spot 11, bluff 12 Master dorje Bonus feat, Monk ability progression, manifesting
    12th Psionic fist +7/2 +8 +12 +15 Concentration 13, disguise 12, hide 12, move silently 12, balance 13, spot 13, bluff 13 Open least chakra (Brow)
    13th Psionic fist +8/3 +9 +12 +15 Concentration 14, disguise 14, hide 14, move silently 13, balance 13, spot 13, bluff 13
    14th Psionic fist +9/4 +9 +13 +16 Concentration 16, disguise 14, hide 14, move silently 14, balance 14, spot 14, bluff 14
    15th Psionic fist +9/4 +9 +13 +16 Concentration 16, disguise 16, hide 16, move silently 14, balance 14, spot 14, bluff 16 Expanded knowledge: Bestow power, Psychic renewal Bonus feat
    16th Ebon saint +9/4 +9 +15 +18 Concentration 16, disguise 16, hide 16, move silently 14, balance 14, spot 14, bluff 16 Dire strike, Shadowfriend
    17th Ebon saint +10/5 +9 +16 +19 Concentration 16, disguise 16, hide 16, move silently 16, balance 16, spot 16, bluff 16 Thought theft, manifesting
    18th Ebon saint +11/6/1 +10 +16 +19 Concentration 18, disguise 18, hide 18, move silently 16, balance 16, spot 16, bluff 16 something Mind interrogation, sneak attack +1d6
    19th Ebon saint +12/7/2 +10 +17 +20 Concentration 18, disguise 18, hide 18, move silently 16, balance 18, spot 18, bluff 18 Steal form
    20th Ebon saint +12/7/2 +10 +17 +20 Concentration 18, disguise 18, hide 20, move silently 20, balance 18, spot 18, bluff 18 Disappear from mind

Soulmelds
    Spoiler
    Show
    Psion’s eyes, Airstep sandals, Incarnate avatar

Power list

Spoiler
    Show
    1 – Expansion, Call item.
    2 – Strength of my enemy, Hustle, bestow power
    3 – Vampiric blade, body purification
    4 – psionic dimension door, energy adaptation
    5 – perfect riposte

Maneuvers and stances
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stances – Child of shadow, Assassin’s stance
    Maneuvers – Shadow blade technique, Cloak of deception, Distracting ember, Moment of the perfect mind, wolf fang strike, mighty throw, Sapphire nightmare blade, sudden leap

Build breakdown
    Spoiler
    Show
    Levels 1-4
    At these levels you function like a regular monk guy. With high defenses, regular monk damage, etc. Nothing too special here.
    Levels 5-10
    Your combat style just took a bump up, becoming more powerful and you got a bunch of utility from airstep sandals and maneuvers such as distracting ember, in addition to a scouting boost from the animal companio
    Levels 11-15
    You just got psionics, and the capstone helps your combo complete itself with bestow power. In the midway through put your hands on every psy-war power dorje you can and fire them at will
    16-20
    Your combat style shifts into more infilitration and scouting, with becoming a melee psi-beast, hide and steal enemy's thoughts during battle

In general, the character keeps pretty good stealth monkey capabilities throughout the game, with more and more boosts to melee, and finally the big BOOM of the infi-power combo.

Feat explanation

Spoiler
    Show
    Combat expertise, Improved feint – qualify for ebon saint
    Wild talent – qualify for psionic fist
    Master dorje – getting more out of the combo
    Wild cohort – part of the combo.
    Earth sense, erth power – part of the combo
    Open lesser chakra – part of the combo

The combo
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. At level 6, get a wild cohort. Switch it to a Tressym (which is acquirable at druid level 1.
    2. The first time the Tressym advances HD and gets feats, give it the wild talent feat (which it can get because it has higher than 3 int)
    3. Now, your animal companion can use psionic focus.
    4. At 12th, you get open lesser chakra, and now you can bind the psion’s eyes meld into your brow chakra and manifest mindlink at will. Augmented mindlink gives you a temporary pp whenever you make a mindlink with a psionically focused creature - like your intelligent companion who can psionically focus due to wild talent.
    This gives you 1 temp pp in exchange for using an action in order to activate mindlink with your companion, useful with the dorje master feat for all level 1 dorjes, at will.
    5. At 15th level, the build reaches full power. With bestow power, earth power, and the 1 free pp per 2 rounds, you can get 1 extra power point per two rounds. Spend each moment of downtime in a feign death state to be immune to sleep, if your GM actually follows sleep penalties as found in the elder evils book. Since you can still perform mental actions (like manifesting powers), you would have no problem hoarding pp while in the feign death state.
    6. Your psionic fist powers and ebon saint augments both have basically unlimited usage now, as well as any psychic warrion dorje you can get your hands on.
    7. Profit

Conclusion - what did we get here?
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the end of the day, Kaisil can do the following
    1. he gets the AC bonus and fast movement bonuses of an 8th level monk, and an almost full bab progression of a 3/4 bab character. His Unarmed strike is that of a 10th level monk.
    2. Decent infiltration skills with a high dexterity score for ok OOC utility, combined with his various ebon saint powers that help in that regard
    3. with some sneak attack, debuffs from ebon saint, and maneuvers/stances, you can also function alright in the frontline when you are caught unprepared
    4. You get an effectively unlimited amount of pp by using the bestow power combo and never going to sleep using feign death, so you don't return to the minimum. For example, a regular 8 hour sleep contains 4800 rounds (60 minutes per hour, 10 rounds per minute). Each cycle takes 2 rounds, so you get roughly 2400 pp per night's rest, with the ability to heal the ability damage if your tight sleep schedule starts affecting you, and thats not counting rests between battles, or just every dozen seconds in which you don't need to move/talk since going into feign death is an immediate action

Using these power points, in addition to the regular power list and to the psionics augments for dire strike, you can use the master dorje feat and your WBL in order to access every psychic warrior power in the game, practically all day long.

Build modifications and clarifications
    Spoiler
    Show

1. if you use the more generous reading of the open chakra feat line, which lets you ge tchakra binds even if you didnt have them before, you can get rid of your second incarnate level
    2. most levels can be shuffled around - one could argue that the TO build alone could be best used as a 17th level full manifester advancement with 1 level dip into incarnate and two levels into atavist. However, in this build. since It is a TO build, I ended up taking a small amount of actual atavist level, and did my best to honor the "feel" of the class while still getting maximum potential from the combo - by taking master dorje, a monk-manifesting class, and a prc that used power points for more things while still keeping in the same general area.
    3. theoretically, one could take the shape soulmeld feat and ditch the entire incarnate dip in favor of more monk, swordsage, or even atavist levels. However, shape shoulmeld's medlshaper level is equal to half your character level. That means that youll need to waste one more standard action during the charging cycle in order to actively stop the mindlink so you could reactivate it next turn, to renew the temporary pp you get
    4. I couldnt find any way to snag in use psionic device so the build is limited to psychic warrior powers. Like I said above, since I wanted to keep to the "spirit" (wink wink) of the prc, I didn't try too hard to find a way to get them. Psychic warrior powers at will, including many melee buffs and abilities, definetly let you play into the "psychic ascetic" role without being an "almighty psionic deity", but with a little work that could be arranged as well.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2020-08-02 at 10:26 AM.
    Awards

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Mother, may I bond with Quori?

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Jones

Mother Jones
    Kalashtar, NG -> LG Martial Rogue 2 / Soulknife 2 / Cloistered Cleric 1 / Squire of Legend 3 / Mystic Wanderer 2 / Atavist 10

I dreamed I saw Ma Jones last night,
    Alive as you and me.
    Says I, “But Ma, you’re ten years dead.”
    “I never died,” said she.

“In Graywall City, Ma,” says I,
    Her standing by my bed,
    “They claimed you was a heretic.”
    Says Ma, “But I ain’t dead,”
    Says Ma, “But I ain’t dead.”

“The Blood of Vol, they killed you, Ma,
    They stabbed you, Ma,” says I.
    “Takes more than swords to kill a man,”
    Says Ma, “I didn’t die.”
    Says Ma, “I didn’t die.”

And standing there as big as life
    And smiling with her eyes,
    Says Ma, “Hey, they can knock us down,
    But we will always rise,
    But we will always rise.”

From the City of Towers up to Korth,
    On streets and inside homes,
    Wherever man stands against hate,
    It’s there you’ll find Ma Jones,
    It’s there you’ll find Ma Jones!

I dreamed I saw Ma Jones last night,
    Alive as you and me.
    Says I, “But Ma, you’re ten years dead.”

~Sharn folk song

Spoiler: Build Details
    Show

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features VoP Benefits
    1st Martial Rogue 1 +0 +0 +2 +0 Knowledge (local) 4 ranks, diplomacy 4 ranks, bluff 4 ranks, sense motive 4 ranks, tumble 4 ranks, jump 4 ranks, balance 4 ranks, craft (alchemy) 3 ranks, profession (herbalist) 3 ranks, perform (dance) 2 ranks Constant GuardianB, Sacred Vow Bonus feat, trapfinding
    2nd Martial Rogue 2 +1 +0 +3 +0 Knowledge (local) 5 ranks (+1), diplomacy 5 ranks (+1), bluff 5 ranks (+1), sense motive 5 ranks (+1), tumble 5 ranks (+1), jump 5 ranks (+1), balance 5 ranks (+1), perform (dance) 3 ranks (+1), use magic device 1 rank Dutiful GuardianB Bonus feat, evasion
    3rd Cloistered Cleric 1 +1 +2 +3 +2 Knowledge (nature) 3 ranks, diplomacy 6 ranks (+1), knowledge (history) 3 ranks Vow of Poverty, War DevotionB Turn undead, lore AC bonus +5, endure elements
    4th Soulknife 1 +1 +2 +5 +4 Diplomacy 7 ranks (+1, cc), concentration 5 ranks Hidden Talent (conceal thoughts)B, Weapon Focus (mind blade)B, Vow of NonviolenceP Mind blade, Weapon Focus (mind blade), Hidden Talent Exalted strike +1 (magic), bonus exalted feat
    5th Squire of Legend 1 +1 +2 +5 +4 Concentration 8 ranks (+3), diplomacy 8 ranks (+1), bluff 8 ranks (+3) Least squire’s burden, paragon’s path (Reikhardt), save bonus +1 Sustenance
    6th Squire of Legend 2 +2 +2 +5 +4 Bluff 9 ranks (+1), concentration 9 ranks (+1), diplomacy 9 ranks (+1), knowledge (nobility & royalty) 4 ranks Iron Will, Vow of PeaceP Lesser squire’s burden AC bonus +6, deflection +1, bonus exalted feat
    7th Squire of Legend 3 +3 +3 +6 +5 Bluff 10 ranks (+1), concentration 10 ranks (+1), diplomacy 10 ranks (+1), knowledge (nobility & royalty) 5 ranks (+1), sense motive 8 ranks (+3) Faithful companion, greater squire’s burden, save bonus +2 Resistance +1, Charisma +2
    8th Mystic Wanderer 1 +3 +3 +8 +7 Bluff 11 ranks (+1, cc), concentration 11 ranks (+1), diplomacy 11 ranks (+1) Nymph’s KissP Glory of the divine, sleep Natural armor +1, mind shielding, bonus exalted feat
    9th Mystic Wanderer 2 +4 +3 +9 +8 Bluff 12 ranks (+1, cc), concentration 12 ranks (+1), diplomacy 12 ranks (+1) Shield of Thought Familiar, lore of nature AC bonus +7
    10th Atavist 1 +4 +3 +11 +10 Bluff 13 ranks (+1), concentration 13 ranks, diplomacy 13 ranks (+1), sense motive 11 ranks (+3) Gift of DiscernmentP Call to mind, spiritual lineage (sociable), mind blade improvement Exalted strike +2 (good), damage reduction 5/magic, bonus exalted feat
    11th Atavist 2 +5 +3 +12 +11 Bluff 14 ranks (+1), concentration 14 ranks (+1), diplomacy 14 ranks (+1), sense motive 14 ranks (+3) Augmented mindlink, defensive insight Charisma +4/Dexterity +2
    12th Atavist 3 +6/+1 +4 +12 +11 Bluff 15 ranks (+1), concentration 15 ranks (+1), diplomacy 15 ranks (+1), knowledge (history) 5 ranks (+2), sense motive 15 ranks (+1) Divine Shield, Nimbus of LightP Supportive mindlink +1 AC bonus +8, deflection +2, greater sustenance, bonus exalted feat
    13th Atavist 4 +7/+2 +4 +13 +12 Autohypnosis 2 ranks, bluff 16 ranks (+1), concentration 16 ranks (+1), diplomacy 16 ranks (+1), sense motive 16 ranks (+1) Detect possession Resistance +2, energy resistance 5
    14th Atavist 5 +7/+2 +4 +13 +12 Autohypnosis 4 ranks (+2), bluff 17 ranks (+1), concentration 17 ranks (+1), diplomacy 17 ranks (+1), sense motive 17 ranks (+1) Holy RadianceP Spiritual focus Exalted strike +3, freedom of movement, bonus exalted feat
    15th Atavist 6 +8/+3 +5 +14 +13 Autohypnosis 6 ranks (+2), bluff 18 ranks (+1), concentration 18 ranks (+1), diplomacy 18 ranks (+1), sense motive 18 ranks (+1) Goad Supportive mindlink +2 AC bonus +9, Charisma +6/Dexterity +4/Constitution +2, damage reduction 5/evil
    16th Atavist 7 +9/+4 +5 +14 +13 Autohypnosis 8 ranks (+2), bluff 19 ranks (+1), concentration 19 ranks (+1), diplomacy 19 ranks (+1), sense motive 19 ranks (+1) StigmataP Quori hunter Natural armor +2, bonus exalted feat
    17th Atavist 8 +10/+5 +5 +15 +14 Autohypnosis 10 ranks (+2), bluff 20 ranks (+1), concentration 20 ranks (+1), diplomacy 20 ranks (+1), sense motive 20 ranks (+1) Dismissing strike Exalted strike +4, resistance +3, regeneration
    18th Atavist 9 +10/+5 +6 +15 +14 Autohypnosis 12 ranks (+2), bluff 21 ranks (+1), concentration 21 ranks (+1), diplomacy 21 ranks (+1), sense motive 21 ranks (+1) Psionic Meditation, Favored of the Companions Personal mind blank, supportive mindlink +3 AC bonus +10, deflection +3, true seeing, bonus exalted feat

Final skill outlay:
    • Bluff 23 ranks
    • Diplomacy 23 ranks
    • Sense motive 23 ranks
    • Concentration 22 ranks
    • Autohypnosis 14 ranks
    • Knowledge (history) 5 ranks
    • Knowledge (local) 5 ranks
    • Knowledge (nobility & royalty) 5 ranks
    • Balance 5 ranks
    • Tumble 5 ranks
    • Jump 5 ranks
    • Knowledge (nature) 3 ranks
    • Profession (herbalist) 3 ranks
    • Perform (dance) 3 ranks
    • Craft (alchemy) 3 ranks
    • Use magic device 1 rank

Class Details:
    • Martial Rogue ACF (fighter feats in place of sneak attack)
    • Cleric domains: War (swapped for War Devotion), Fate, Knowledge

Spoiler: Stats
    Show

Starting Stats (32 PB):
    Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 12 / Int 12 / Wis 13 / Cha 17

Boost Charisma at every 4th level.

Final Stats (including VoP bonuses and level boosts):
    Str 8/Dex 20/Con 16/Int 12/Wis 15/Cha 30

Spoiler: To Protect the Proletariat
    Show

Mother Jones was no stranger to the evils of man.

Before she was Ma Jones, back when she was still known only as Mary, she saw it every day. She saw it in the streets of Sharn where she was born, saw it in the overcrowded workrooms where she toiled, assembling parts for a lightning rail that she would never have the money to ride. She worked there twelve hours a day, then spent another hour gathering herbs that she would sell to the other working families near her, and still it was all she could do to support her family.

Ironically it was only after the fever struck Sharn, after her husband and her four children were taken by illness and perished, that she became known as Mother Jones. Drowning in grief, she could not bear the thought of returning to work, and soon she was homeless as well as without family. And so she wandered, penniless and without home. She was fierce and protective, determined to keep safe all those who could not defend themselves as penance for being unable to save her family. Her voice was her greatest weapon: her tongue could be sharp or it could be stirring, and she could convince soldiers to lay down their arms, convince men fighting in the street to set aside their grievances, convince slavers to set free their thralls. And when her voice failed she would place her body on the line, stepping directly in front of danger if it meant keeping another safe. She did this time and time again, and time and time again the ferocity of her faith protected her. The people called her Mother, and said that she would never die.

And so she wandered, vowing never to take up coin or weapon. She learned to manifest the mind blade that so many of her people used as a weapon, and re-shaped it into a shield, into a way to protect others. She traveled to Fairhaven, and Graywall, and Stormreach, and all the places where man gathered. She learned the truth of her heritage, the truth of the kalashtar and the Inspired, of the quori. She learned of struggles great and small. She learned many things. But always, whenever there was danger, she was there to intervene.

We miss you, Mother, though we know you still live on in our hearts. We have need of you now...

Spoiler: Overview
    Show

First, defenses. With bonuses from Vow of Poverty and Vow of Peace, Charisma to AC twice (once from mystic wanderer and again from Divine Shield), luminous armor and fighting defensively (further boosted by War Devotion), not to mention other defensive boons such as evasion, uncanny dodge, damage reduction, energy resistance and more, Mother Jones is almost impossible to strike down. All combined, her armor class totals out to a whopping 71:

Armor Class:
    • Base 10
    • +5 luminous armor
    • +14 shield (+3 light shield from Shield of Thought, further boosted by Divine Shield for another +10)
    • +12 exalted (Vow of Poverty/Peace)
    • +10 Charisma (mystic wanderer)
    • +5 Dexterity
    • +5 deflection (Vow of Poverty/Peace)
    • +4 natural armor (Vow of Poverty/Peace)
    • +6 fighting defensively (boosted by War Devotion and 5 ranks in tumble)
    • = AC 71

Yes, you read that correctly, Mother Jones has an AC of 71. If necessary, she can improve this even further thanks to defensive insight. Even better, enemies get a -4 penalty to their attack rolls against her as well. This means that almost nothing is hitting her except on a natural 20. Even the mighty tarrasque will struggle to breach her defenses. And those rare times that a foe does connect with her, the weapon often shatters upon impact with her skin.

Of course, what good is a ridiculous defense if you can’t convince enemies to focus on you? Luckily, Mother Jones has an easy way around this. Beginning as early as level 2, she can use Dutiful Guardian to swap places with one of her allies as an immediate action, taking blows that would be meant for them. Her squire of legend and atavist levels further allow her to protect her allies, keeping them out of harm's way and letting her step in for Reflex saves.

While she herself does not attack, she is by no means passive. She uses her mindlink to communicate with her party and be exactly where she needs to be. Any who come near her must save or be calmed as though via calm emotions. Her holy radiance burns the undead, and she can force possessing spirits to return from whence they came. Better still, she serves as a force amplifier. Her squire of legend levels allow her to trade away her action to grant an equivalent one to an ally. Combined with the atavist’s spiritual union, this effectively means she can expend her psionic focus to grant one of her allies an extra standard action. And she can more directly goad her foes into action as well: against a melee brute she can use her Goad feat to force enemies to make a DC 34 Will save or waste their attacks on her.

Beyond this she is also an effective diplomancer and party face, thanks to great social skills, mindlink, a Charisma of 30, spells and powers such as conceal thoughts and numerous feats such as Nymph’s Kiss. Furthermore she can share many of these benefits with her raven familiar, who can aid her or speak on her behalf.

Spoiler: Level snapshots
    Show

ECL 1-5: (Martial rogue 2/cloistered cleric 1/soulknife 1/squire of legend 1)
    Excellent skills, good defenses and Dutiful Guardian to assist allies in avoiding attacks are the name of the game in the low levels. Squire of legend gives Mother Jones the ability to grant one of her allies some additional actions as well via the Reikhardt path.

ECL 6-10: (Martial rogue 2/cloistered cleric 1/soulknife 1/squire of legend 3/mystic wanderer 2/atavist 1)
    With Vow of Peace fully online, as well as further levels of squire of legend and mystic wanderer, Mother Jones’s defenses are already creeping into near-epic territories: with luminous armor, Shield of Thought and War Devotion, she now has an AC of 34, and enemies take -4 to their attack rolls against her. She also has a powerful calming aura, excellent social skills, a familiar and a pair of lore-based abilities to fully benefit from her new call to mind power. As she dedicates herself further to the spiritual lineage of the kalashtar, her alignment shifts, becoming more lawful over time as she enters atavist.

ECL 11-15: (Martial rogue 2/cloistered cleric 1/soulknife 1/squire of legend 3/mystic wanderer 2/atavist 6)
    The next five levels all focus on atavist. With Shield of Thought and Divine Shield, alongside atavist progressing an enhancement bonus on her shield, Mother Jones can do something fairly unique: effectively fight with a shield despite her Vow of Poverty. Her AC hits 58 (in addition to the -4 to attacks), and she can goad melee foes into attacking her with a surprisingly high DC thanks to Vow of Nonviolence and her high Charisma. Her atavist levels allow her to expand her mindlink to further support her allies, progress the enhancement bonus on her shield and pop her focus for another +2 bonus to AC or Reflex saves when necessary (the latter of which is quite handy for when she uses her faithful ally ability).

ECL 16-20: (Martial rogue 2/cloistered cleric 1/soulknife 2/squire of legend 3/mystic wanderer 2/atavist 10)
    The final levels of atavist progress the existing abilities and provide an extremely strong capstone: spiritual union gives Mother Jones a major bump to her social skills and allows her to gain a standard action by expending her psionic focus. This combines especially well with her squire of legend ability, which allows her to spend a standard action to grant a standard action to one of her allies. Her AC increases to 71 (73 with defensive insight), a number that puts her out of reach of just about every non-epic foe (and even many epic foes). She even gains access to some defensive abilities that she otherwise lacked due to her Vow, most notably mind blank. A final level of soulknife is all it takes to pick up yet another enhancement bonus to her shield, closing out the build.

Spoiler: Sources
    Show

Sources:
    • Races of Eberron (Atavist, Shield of Thought)
    • Book of Exalted Deeds (Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Vow of Nonviolence, Vow of Peace, Nymph’s Kiss, Nimbus of Light, Holy Radiance, Stigmata, Favored of the Heavens, luminous armor)
    • SRD (Soulknife, Hidden Talent, Psionic Meditation, conceal thoughts, martial rogue, autohypnosis)
    • Complete Champion (War Devotion, squire of legend)
    • Magic of Faerun (Mystic wanderer)
    • Complete Adventurer (Goad)
    • Complete Warrior (Divine Shield)
    • Drow of the Underdark (Constant Guardian, Dutiful Guardian)
    • Champions of Valor (Gift of Discernment, Gift of Faith)

“Pray for the dead. Fight like hell for the living.” -Mother Jones
    Awards

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

That's our entries for this round. Judges, do your stuff!
    Awards

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Some grade-A fluff going around, and definitely some builds I didn’t expect! Good stuff, team!
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

I kinda wish I'd managed to get my Soulbound Weapon PsiWar build to a good point past 15, because I was expecting at least somebody else to enter it on (jokingingly) advancing both. Which is why the last five levels fell apart on me.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

I had my table done, but didn't buckle down to write up in time. The idea was a ranged build that used Decisive Strike with Ring the Golden Bell followed by double Spiritual Union via Psicrystal Containment for double damage Soulbow Manyshots, with Atavist advancing both unarmed damage and mindblade progression.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores
    12 Str, 18 Dex, 12 Con, 8 Int, 14 Wis, 10 Cha
    Increase Dex at all opportunities.

Build Table
    1st Mind’s Eye Soulknife 1 +0 +0 +2 +2 Concentration 4, Autohypnosis 4, Spot 4 Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus (Mind Blade)B, Hidden Talent (Offensive Precognition)B Mind Blade
    2nd Soulknife 2 +1 +0 +3 +3 Concentration 5, Autohypnosis 5, Spot 5 - Throw Mind Blade
    3rd Monk 1 +1 +2 +5 +5 Concentration 6, Autohypnosis 5.5, Spot 6 Dead Eye, Improved Unarmed StrikeB, Stunning FistB Unarmed Strike, AC Bonus, Decisive Strike
    4th Hit-and-Run Fighter 1 +2 +4 +5 +5 Concentration 6, Autohypnosis 6, Spot 6 Rapid Shot Hit-and-Run Tactics
    5th Invisible Fist Kalashtar Monk 2 +3 +5 +6 +6 Concentration 8, Autohypnosis 7, Spot 6 Psicrystal AffinityB Invisible Fist
    6th Atavist 1 +3 +5 +8 +8 Concentration 9, Autohypnosis 9, Spot 6 Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike) Call to Mind, Spiritual Lineage (Sociable), Unarmed Strike/Mind Blade Improvement
    7th Atavist 2 +4 +5 +9 +9 Concentration 10, Autohypnosis 10, Spot 6, Sense Motive 1 - Augmented Mindlink, Defensive Insight
    8th Atavist 3 +5 +6 +9 +9 Concentration 11, Autohypnosis 11, Spot 6, Sense Motive 2 - Supportive Mindlink +1
    9th Atavist 4 +6 +6 +10 +10 Concentration 12, Autohypnosis 12, Spot 6, Sense Motive 3 Ring the Golden Bell Detect Possession
    10th Atavist 5 +6 +6 +10 +10 Concentration 13, Autohypnosis 13, Spot 6, Sense Motive 4 - Spiritual Focus
    11th Atavist 6 +7 +7 +11 +11 Concentration 14, Autohypnosis 14, Spot 6, Sense Motive 5 - Supportive Mindlink +2
    12th Atavist 7 +8 +7 +11 +11 Concentration 15, Autohypnosis 15, Spot 6, Sense Motive 5, Diplomacy 1 Martial Study (Shadow Garrote) Quori Hunter
    13th Atavist 8 +9 +7 +12 +12 Concentration 16, Autohypnosis 16, Spot 6, Sense Motive 5, Diplomacy 2 - Dismissing Strike
    14th Atavist 9 +9 +8 +12 +12 Concentration 17, Autohypnosis 17, Spot 6, Sense Motive 5, Diplomacy 3 - Personal Mind Blank, Supportive Mindlink +3
    15th Atavist 10 +10 +8 +13 +13 Concentration 17, Autohypnosis 18, Spot 6, Sense Motive 5, Diplomacy 5 Psicrystal Containment Spiritual Union
    16th Soulbow 1 +10 +8 +15 +15 Concentration 19, Autohypnosis 19, Spot 6, Sense Motive 5, Diplomacy 5 ManyshotB Mind Arrow
    17th Fighter 2 +11 +9 +15 +15 Concentration 19, Autohypnosis 19, Spot 6, Sense Motive 5, Diplomacy 5, Intimidate 1 Martial Stance (Assassin’s Stance)B -
    18th Soulbow 2 +12 +9 +16 +16 Concentration 20, Autohypnosis 21, Spot 6, Sense Motive 5, Diplomacy 5, Intimidate 1 Craven Mind Arrow (+1 equivalent ability)
    19th Soulbow 3 +13 +10 +16 +16 Concentration 22, Autohypnosis 22, Spot 6, Sense Motive 5, Diplomacy 5, Intimidate 1 Greater ManyshotB Mind Arrow +1
    20th Mind’s Eye Soulknife 3 +14 +11 +16 +16 Concentration 23, Autohypnosis 23, Spot 7, Sense Motive 5, Diplomacy 5, Intimidate 1 Precise ShotB -
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2020-08-02 at 12:16 PM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Once again I had a build with completed write-up but I stalled out when it came down to fluff. My idea was an idiot Crusader/Mo9 who uses the atavist capstone to spam swooping dragon strike + ballista throw or rallying strike every single turn, and gets really silly jump checks with aggressive personality. Oh, and I had a half-hearted idea to use the strategic advantage rules in Heroes of Battle to make call to mind useful? I never really developed that well though.

Here's the build, if anyone's interested:

Spoiler: unsubmitted build
    Show

Spoiler: Build Details
    Show

1st Unarmed Swordsage 1 +0 +0 +2 +2 Autohypnosis 1 rank (cc), balance 4 ranks, concentration 4 ranks, jump 4 ranks, knowledge (history) 4 ranks, knowledge (local) 1 rank, knowledge (nature) 1 rank, knowledge (psionics) 1 rank (cc), knowledge (the planes) 1 rank (cc) tumble 4 ranks, knowledge (local) 1 rank, knowledge (nature) 1 rank, knowledge (nobility and royalty) 1 rank, knowledge (psionics) 1 rank (cc), Improved Unarmed StrikeB, Desert Wind Dodge Quick to act +1, discipline focus (weapon focus)
    2nd Crusader 1 +1 +2 +2 +2 Balance 5 ranks (+1), concentration 5 ranks (+1), jump 5 ranks (+1), tumble 5 ranks (+1, cc) Furious counterstrike, steely resolve 5
    3rd Crusader 2 +2 +3 +2 +2 Balance 6 ranks (+1), concentration 6 ranks (+1), jump 6 ranks (+1), tumble 6 ranks (+1, cc) Adaptive Style Indomitable soul
    4th Fighter 1 +3 +5 +2 +2 Jump 7 ranks (+1), tumble 7 ranks (+1), knowledge (religion) .5 ranks (+.5, cc) Blind-FightB Bonus feat
    5th Unarmed Swordsage 2 +4 +5 +3 +3 Balance 8 ranks (+2), concentration 8 ranks (+2), jump 8 ranks (+1), knowledge (history) 5 ranks (+1), tumble 8 ranks (+1) AC bonus
    6th Atavist 1 +4 +5 +5 +5 Balance 9 ranks (+1), concentration 9 ranks (+1), jump 9 ranks (+1), knowledge (history) 6 ranks (+1), tumble 9 ranks (+1) Improved Initiative Call to mind, spiritual lineage (aggressive), unarmed strike improvement
    7th Atavist 2 +5 +5 +6 +6 Balance 10 ranks (+1), concentration 10 ranks (+1), jump 10 ranks (+1), knowledge (history) 7 ranks (+1), tumble 10 ranks (+1) Augmented mindlink, defensive insight
    8th Master of Nine 1 +5 +5 +6 +8 Balance 11 ranks (+1), concentration 11 ranks (+1), jump 11 ranks (+1), knowledge (history) 10 ranks (+3), tumble 11 ranks (+1)
    9th Master of Nine 2 +6/+1 +5 +6 +9 Balance 12 ranks (+1), concentration 12 ranks (+1), jump 12 ranks (+1), knowledge (history) 12 ranks (+2), knowledge (religion) 1 rank (+.5, cc), tumble 12 ranks (+1) Extra Granted Maneuver Dual stance
    10th Atavist 3 +7/+2 +6 +6 +9 Balance 13 ranks (+1), concentration 13 ranks (+1), jump 13 ranks (+1), knowledge (history) 13 ranks (+1), tumble 13 ranks (+1) Supportive mindlink +1
    11th Atavist 4 +8/+3 +6 +7 +10 Balance 14 ranks (+1), concentration 14 ranks (+1), jump 14 ranks (+1), knowledge (history) 14 ranks (+1), tumble 14 ranks (+1) Detect possession
    12th Atavist 5 +8/+3 +6 +7 +10 Balance 15 ranks (+1), concentration 15 ranks (+1), jump 15 ranks (+1), knowledge (history) 15 ranks (+1), tumble 15 ranks (+1) Kalashtar Mindlink Spiritual focus
    13th Atavist 6 +9/+4 +7 +8 +11 Balance 16 ranks (+1), concentration 16 ranks (+1), jump 16 ranks (+1), knowledge (history) 16 ranks (+1), tumble 16 ranks (+1) Supportive mindlink +2
    14th Atavist 7 +10/+5 +7 +8 +11 Balance 17 ranks (+1), concentration 17 ranks (+1), jump 17 ranks (+1), knowledge (history) 17 ranks (+1), tumble 17 ranks (+1) Quori hunter
    15th Atavist 8 +11/+6/+1 +7 +9 +12 Balance 18 ranks (+1), concentration 18 ranks (+1), jump 18 ranks (+1), knowledge (history) 18 ranks (+1), tumble 18 ranks (+1) Psionic Meditation Dismissing strike
    16th Atavist 9 +11/+6/+1 +8 +9 +12 Balance 19 ranks (+1), concentration 19 ranks (+1), jump 19 ranks (+1), knowledge (history) 19 ranks (+1), tumble 19 ranks (+1) Personal mind blank, supportive mindlink +3
    17th Atavist 10 +12/+7/+2 +8 +10 +13 Balance 20 ranks (+1), concentration 20 ranks (+1), jump 20 ranks (+1), knowledge (history) 20 ranks (+1), tumble 20 ranks (+1) Spiritual union
    18th Master of Nine 3 +13/+8/+3 +9 +11 +13 Balance 21 ranks (+1), concentration 21 ranks (+1), jump 21 ranks (+1), knowledge (history) 21 ranks (+1), tumble 21 ranks (+1), Collector of Stories skill trick Superior Unarmed Strike Perfect form

Final skill outlay:
    • Balance 23 ranks
    • Concentration 23 ranks
    • Jump 23 ranks
    • Knowledge (history) 23 ranks
    • Tumble 23 ranks
    • Autohypnosis 1 rank
    • Knowledge (local) 1 rank
    • Knowledge (nature) 1 rank
    • Knowledge (psionics) 1 rank
    • Knowledge (religion) 1 rank
    • Knowledge (the planes) 1 rank
    • Collector of Stories skill trick
    • Extreme Leap skill trick
    • Acrobatic Backstab skill trick

Spoiler: Maneuvers and Stances Known
    Show

Swordsage
    1- Stone bones, charging minotaur, sudden leap, wolf fang strike, distracting ember, counter charge
    2- Shadow jaunt
    3- Soaring raptor strike, devastating throw
    6- Order forged from chaos
    7- Shadow blink

Crusader (8 granted maneuvers):
    1- Crusader’s strike, douse the flames, leading the attack, vanguard strike
    3- White raven tactics
    6- Rallying strike, ballista throw
    7- Swooping dragon strike

Stances:
    1- Child of shadow, leading the charge, martial spirit, hunter’s sense
    3- Leaping dragon stance
    6- Aura of perfect order

Spoiler: Stats
    Show

Starting Stats (32 PB):
    Str 17 / Dex 14 / Con 12 / Int 12 / Wis 13 / Cha 8

Level 4: Str +1
    Level 8: Str +1
    Level 12: Str +1
    Level 16: Str +1
    Level 20: Str +1

Spoiler: Who you calling an idiot?
    Show

For whatever reason, I feel like the idiot crusader has gotten a bad rap. I often see it rolled in with clearly abusive or rules-shaky exploits like the d2 crusader, or I see people discussing it who just aren’t clear on what exactly it means to be an idiot crusader. However, on its own, there’s nothing particularly wonky or abusive about it. It doesn’t require any elaborate and dubiously legal shenanigans to access, and can be a really fun and flavorful way of playing a crusader.

For those not familiar, the idiot crusader is actually fairly simple. (If you’re already well familiar with the concept, you can skip this section.) Crusaders get a certain number of granted maneuvers every encounter (usually 2, but there are lots of ways to increase this number). These are the maneuvers they have available to them at the beginning of every encounter. Their granted maneuvers are randomly assigned from their total pool of readied maneuvers. At the end of every turn, they automatically get another of their readied maneuvers granted. If all of their readied maneuvers are granted, their maneuvers automatically refresh, and they get a new set of granted maneuvers.

The idiot crusader works within this existing mechanic, but by keeping their total number of maneuvers known as low as possible, they ensure their maneuvers refresh more quickly. (That’s where the name comes from: the ideal crusader knows as little as possible, and hence is an idiot.) The ideal is to have your total maneuvers known equal to or lower than your maneuvers granted. In that case, your maneuvers automatically refresh at the end of every single turn, letting you spam them to your heart’s content.

This is most commonly achieved in two ways, both involving multiclassing:
    • Reducing the pool of available maneuvers by taking them with another class. ToB states that you cannot learn a maneuver that you already know. Crusaders only have 6 total 1st-level maneuvers that they can choose from, of which they can pick 5. If you start out with levels in swordsage or warblade, you can take several of those maneuvers early. This means that they won’t have 5 legal maneuvers they can pick at 1st-level, and will have to start with a lower number of maneuvers than normal.
    • Assigning maneuvers known to another class. The prestige class rules in ToB state that if you have levels in multiple initiating classes before you take levels in a prestige class, you can choose to which class you assign your maneuvers known and maneuvers readied/granted. Therefore, you can assign maneuvers known to another class, but maneuvers readied/granted to crusader, increasing the total number of crusader maneuvers granted while keeping your crusader maneuvers known low.

The end result is that in exchange for the versatility of knowing many different maneuvers, you gain the ability to spam the few maneuvers that you do know. That’s really all there is to it.

Spoiler: Level snapshots
    Show

ECL 1-5: (Unarmed Swordsage 2/Crusader 2/Fighter 1)
    ToB classes in general tend to excel in the low levels, and you’re no exception. You’re a hyper-mobile hit-and-run fighter with a number of maneuvers and stances to benefit your mobility, including child of shadow and leading the charge to either create miss chances or increase damage as you move and attack, and maneuvers such as sudden leap or wolf fang strike to effectively pounce attack. While you aren’t a high-damage striker (yet), a lot of your maneuvers can hit multiple foes or reposition enemies, and you have some neat tricks up your sleeve like using hunter’s sense plus Blind-Fight to help track and deal with hidden foes.

ECL 6-10: (Unarmed Swordsage 2/Crusader 2/Fighter 1/Atavist 3/Master of Nine 2)
    Right off the bat, you’ll jump into atavist for a couple of levels. This increases your unarmed strike damage and gives you a few useful (if not gamebreaking) abilities. The call to mind power is a nice way to turn a single rank in most knowledge skills into a fairly reliable know-it-all build, but its uses go further: as a commander you can specifically use it to receive strategic advantage in large-scale battles (Heroes of Battle p70). This requires a DC 20 check across a wide variety of knowledge skills that might potentially apply, including knowledge (history), which you particularly excel at. Call to mind all but guarantees a great start to any battles that allow for planning, allowing your party to accrue victory points well before a battle even begins. You can further assist your party with the telepathy provided by your kalashtar mindlink, which is improved by the prestige class.

You also take your first couple of levels of Master of Nine. Most of your maneuvers known will be going to swordsage, giving you soaring raptor strike (which is further improved by access to leaping dragon stance) and devastating throw to damage and reposition foes. However, you do add one maneuver to your crusader list: the incomparable white raven tactics. And with Extra Granted Maneuver, you’re up to five maneuvers known and five maneuvers granted, meaning you hit full idiot mode and can spam it every single round, manipulating when your allies act and even giving them extra turns.

ECL 11-15: (Unarmed Swordsage 2/Crusader 2/Fighter 1/Atavist 8/Master of Nine 2)
    The next five levels all focus on atavist. To fully take advantage of your expanded mindlink powers to help lead your party, you’ve taken Kalashtar Mindlink, which increases the manifester level of your mindlink power and the number of uses per day. Meanwhile, in addition to keep your unarmed damage up fairly high, atavist also gives all of your attacks reach - a huge boon for any melee fighter.

ECL 16-20: (Swordsage 2/Crusader 2/Fighter 1/Atavist 10/Master of Nine 5)
    With the last two levels of atavist, the build takes a major leap (no pun intended?) in power thanks to spiritual union. In addition to providing a decent bonus to the physical skills (jump in particular being much appreciated), spiritual union also allows you to expend your psionic focus to gain a standard action. Combined with Psionic Meditation, this becomes an easy way to convert a move action into a standard action every single round. (Instant Clarity was also an option, which would allow for refocusing 3/day as a swift action, but swift actions are actually more valuable for you than move actions.)

As a strike-focused Mo9, the benefits here should be obvious. And speaking of Mo9, go ahead and jump back into it for your last three levels to get some nice high level maneuvers. On your swordsage side you’ll pick up order forged from chaos and shadow blink for some excellent repositioning options. Meanwhile, as a crusader, go ahead and get rallying strike, ballista throw and the pièce de résistance: swooping dragon strike. With your aggressive personality and leaping dragon stance, you can even leap over huge creatures to strike them with this, which not only deals excellent damage but also comes with an extremely powerful save-or-lose. This brings you up to a total of 8 crusader maneuvers known… and since you have 8 maneuvers granted (2 from crusader levels, 1 from Extra Granted Maneuver and 5 from master of nine), that means you stay in full-on idiot mode, refreshing your maneuvers every single round.

What does this look like in practice? Well, it’s simple: if you’re not already in melee range, use shadow blink or sudden leap to get there. Swooping dragon strike your enemy for +10d6 damage and a tremendously difficult save versus stun (they have to save against the results of your jump check, which should have a bonus in the high 40s by this point). Then expend your psionic focus for another standard action, which you can either use for ballista throw or rallying strike, depending on whether repositioning and extra damage or party healing is more useful. With your move action, either refocus yourself or use order forged from chaos. And finally, if you didn’t need your swift to close with your enemy, close things out with white raven tactics, shuffling up one of your allies in the initiative order so that they can finish things off.

Because you’re an idiot crusader, white raven tactics/swooping dragon strike/rallying strike/ballista throw will refresh every round, meaning that you are far from the typical “one and done” style swordsage. You can spam at least two of your strongest attacks, as well as white raven tactics, every single round.

Some fun builds here! I also really love that we got two folk song entries with the surname Jones. Any relation?

EDIT: I also really really really wanted to make something work with the Dancing with Shadows feat, which is one of my favorite feats. I had a general idea of some sort of decisive strike monk that used Dancing with Shadows + Improved Combat Expertise + Power Attack + Decisive Strike for a high damage combo. The problem I kept running into was the lack of decent two-handed options, which was necessary for good enough PA returns. I could use a quarterstaff, but that meant throwing away the fact that atavist advances unarmed strike progression. I could dip into drunken master for the ability to wield improvised weapons that used my unarmed strike damage, but that required dropping decisive strike, since it requires flurry of blows. I could hope that a golden scorpion kama counted as a two-handed weapon, but that was some weird RAW territory and put me entirely reliant on certain items. In the end I just dropped the idea, though I'm still a bit sad about that one.
    Last edited by Piggy Knowles; 2020-08-02 at 12:33 PM.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Good job everyone! I enjoyed reading the builds, and since I was not expecting to win anything, I am not upset by being completely outmatched. Nicely done!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Will be judging. Looking forward to this one

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I had two builds stubbed out for this.

Miss Diss
    OA shaman 5/runecaster 3/atavist 4/contemplative (diabolical)/atavist.

Shaman gives ius, the ability to literally see outsiders possessing people, and an animal companion.

Runecaster let's you apply spells to runes. There's 2 third level spells that you inflict on your enemies: devils ego (turns them to outsider) and possess animal, which your AC can make use of. Then you punch them to hell.

The other was a monk/soulknife theurge.

1 decisive strike monk: IUS, monastic training, narrow mind
    2 hidden talent (synchronicity) soulknife hidden talent, weapon focus (mind blade)
    3 soulknife 2 ascetic psion
    4 bonus feats soulknife 3 psionic weapon
    5 soulknife 4
    6 soul knife 5 monks spade mindblade
    7 kalashtar soulknife 6
    8 kalashtar monk craft psionic arms (
    9 monk linked power
    10 atavist 1
    11 atavist 2
    12 atavist 3 tashalatora
    13 atavist 4
    14 atavist 5
    15 Monk 4 lightning fists
    16 atavist 6
    17 atavist 7
    18 atavist 8 greater psionic weapon
    19 atavist 9
    20 atavist 10

Make a mindblade gauntlet that shapes you mindblade into gauntlets by giving it the aptitude property, and you can swap the monks spade with gauntlets using that, so you can have enhancements on your unarmed strikes

Linked synchronicities for focus retrieval, 5 attacks at 4d10 +4d6 +8 + 2xStr for doubled viscious enhancement and soulknife enhancement bonus, the first of which can gain an additional 8d6 in psionic weapon damage. Ascetic psion gets your focus back as a standard, so start linking them and setting them to be regain focus.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

After reading through the entries that were not submitted, I was very impressed with the hybrid builds. I tried to make one (didn't work out), and it was significantly lesser to the ones proposed here.
    I was also trying really hard to do something with 2 levels of CW occult slayer, as some sort of caster-killer. Use spiritual union to ready an attack against a spellcaster, do double damage.

Anyone else wants to share an idea they had that didn't work out?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

I failed again >.> Had my build mostly ready, had most everything typed up, just forgot to finish it.
    Spoiler: an incomplete entry
    Show

Spoiler: Unnamed
    Show
    Kalashtar Paladin 2/Cleric 1/Monk 2/Soulknife 1/Argent Fist 2/Atavist 10/Saint
    Spoiler: Unnamed
    Show

Stat Base Level Up Template Vow Final
    Strength 8 8
    Dexterity 10 +2 12
    Constitution 14 +2 16
    Intelligence 12 12
    Wisdom 16 4, 8, 12, 16 +2 +6 28
    Charisma 16 +4 +4 24
    Spoiler: stub
    Show

Level
    Class
    Base Attack Bonus
    Fort Save
    Ref Save
    Will Save
    Skills
    Feats
    Class Features
    1st Paladin +1 +2 +0 +0 Concentration +4, Autohypnosis +2, Knowledge Religion +4 Sacred Vow Aura of Good, Detect Evil, Smite Evil 1/day
    2nd Paladin +2 +3 +0 +0 Concentration +5, Autohypnosis +2.5, Knowledge Religion +4, Sense Motive +1 Divine Grace, Lay on Hands
    3rd Cloistered Cleric +2 +5 +0 +2 7 points Vow of Poverty Lore, Knowledge Domain, Wrath Domain, Exorcism Domain, Turn Undead, Endure Elements, +5 Exalted Armor
    4th Monk +2 +7 +2 +4 5 points Monastic Training: Atavist(b), Gift of Discernment(b), Improved Unarmed Strike(B) Flurry of Blows, Unarmored Defense, 1d6 Unarmed Strike, Exalted Strike +1
    5th Monk +3 +8 +3 +5 5 points Combat Reflexes(b) Evasion, Sustenance
    6th Soulknife +3 +8 +5 +7 5 points Hidden Talent: Stygian Discernment(b), Intuitive Attack(b), Weapon Focus: Mind Blade(b), Tashlatora Mindblade, +6 Exalted Armor, +1 Deflection
    7th Argent Fist +3 +10 +5 +9 5 points Ascetic Knight, Ki Focus, Stunning Smite, +1 Resistance, +2 Wisdom, 1d8 Unarmed Strike
    8th Argent Fist +4 +11 +5 +10 5 points Touch of Golden Ice(b) Holy Armor, Ki Strike (Silver), +1 Natural, Mind Shielding
    9th Atavist +4 +11 +7 +12 5 points Shield of Thought Call to Mind, Spiritual Lineage, Mind Blade Improvement/Unarmed Strike Improvement, +7 Exalted Armor
    10th Atavist +5 +11 +8 +13 5 points * Defensive Insight, Augmented Mindlink, DR 5/magic, Exalted Strike +2 (Good), 1d10 Unarmed Strike
    11th Atavist +6 +12 +8 +13 5 points Supportive Mindlink +1, +4 Wisdom, +2 Charisma
    12th Atavist +7 +12 +9 +14 5 points Shape Soulmeld: Ankheg Breastplate, * Detect Possession, +8 Exalted Armor, +2 Deflection, Greater Sustenance, 2d6 Unarmed Strike
    13th Atavist +7 +12 +9 +14 5 points Spiritual Focus, +2 Resistance, +5 Universal Energy Resistance
    14th Atavist +8 +13 +10 +15 5 points * Supportive Mindlink +2, Exalted Strike +3 (Good), Freedom of Movement, 2d8 Unarmed Strike
    15th Atavist +9 +13 +10 +15 5 points Extra Essentia Quori Hunter, +9 Exalted Armor, +6 Wisdom, +4 Charisma, +2 Dexterity, DR 5/Evil
    16th Atavist +10 +13 +11 +16 5 points * Dismissing Strike, +2 Natural, 2d10 Unarmed Strike
    17th Atavist +10 +14 +11 +16 5 points Personal Mind Blank, Supportive Mindlink +3, +3 Resistance, Exalted Strike +4 (Good), Regeneration
    18th Atavist +11 +14 +12 +17 5 points Divine Soultouch, * Spiritual Union, +10 Exalted Armor, +3 Deflection, True Seeing
    20th Saint +11 +14 +12 +17 - - Outsider, +Wis as Insight bonus to AC, Holy Power, Holy Touch, SLAs, DR 10/Evil, Fast Healing 9, Immunity to Acid, Cold, Electricity, and Petrification, Keen Vision, Protective Aura, Fire Resistance 10, +4 saves vs poison, Tongues, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, +4 Charisma

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Any word from our esteemed judge(s)?

Very excited!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Have some stuff going down in personal life, havent had the chance to finish judging. I'm sorry for the delay.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Empyreal Dragon View Post
    Have some stuff going down in personal life, havent had the chance to finish judging. I'm sorry for the delay.
    I was just checking, you still have plenty of time I believe. Real life comes first, obviously. Wish you the best with whatever you're dealing with!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Empyreal Dragon View Post
    Much like how (back in the Before Times, at least) the best way to get the waiter to come to your table is to go to the restroom, the best way to trigger Important Stuff in your personal life is to volunteer to judge IC.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

27. - Top - End - #57
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sorry for the delay. Added stub and dishes to ICO Spreadsheet.
    Last edited by Wolfem; 2020-08-14 at 12:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Question: if Empyreal can't judge in time, will we be starting the next round while they work, or will we wait for them to finish working so they aren't disadvantaged, time-wise, on the next round?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

The judging deadline isn't hard set, it's just a guideline. We will wait to move to the next round until we have scores for this one. It's been batted about in a few rounds past, but I agree with past Chairs. If we start the new round, it's too easy to forget about the last one.
    Awards

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Any news, Empyreal? Do you think you'll be able to judge?

I hope everything is okay.