New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Reduce person abuse

Suppose a playable race has the ability to cast reduce person on themselves only 3/day with a duration of "until you make an attack". How can this be abused?

I'm trying to make a fey race, but want to avoid any obvious game balance pitfalls.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Reduce person abuse

Well, a dragonfire adept could be awesome assuming you dont have a con penalty - you dont have to make a single attack in your entire game.

The underfoot combat feat could also work well for you (wouldnt get much mileage out of confound the big folk, though)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

What’s the starting size of the race?
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

A fey isn't a valid target for reduce person

That said, it's a permanent minor boost to AC and decent boost to stealth for any class that doesn't make attacks; and you might be able to get a flying mount for cheaper than normal. Doesn't strike me as a big deal, as long as casting any offensive spell counts as an attack.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    What’s the starting size of the race?
    It will be a Small race, at least before reduce person shenanigans.

I'm also contemplating the idea that they may be able to double-down on it, perhaps with a racial feat.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, person abuse is bad... We should absolutely strive to reduce it.

Seriously, as others have said, it's a good deal for scouts, spies, healers, summoners, buff-focused casters, and other classes who don't rely too much on direct attacks. Also useful for getting into spaces PCs usually can't. I don't think it would imbalance a game unless the player actively tries to think up outlandish tricks, but then again most rules or spells can be exploited in that way.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Tiny von BigMcLargeHuge.

Doable with the Human Heritage or Human Blood feats.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2020-07-13 at 07:46 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

One thing to consider (and there might be a RAW answer that I just don't recall at the moment): Is a spell that does damage or requires a save, but does not have an attack roll, an attack?
    That could change how good it is or isn't for spellcasters.

---

But, all in all, I don't think it'd be much abusable. Some, yeah maybe, in that you can make a build that avoids making attacks. But the boost from small size isn't itself game-breaking; even the stuff it could boost awesomely sounds fair to be awesome out without being really overpowered. Even adding to an optimized spellcaster wouldn't be a major boost (since what they already have, and it'd presumably mean not picking a race that boosts their spellcasting stat.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    One thing to consider (and there might be a RAW answer that I just don't recall at the moment): Is a spell that does damage or requires a save, but does not have an attack roll, an attack?
    I'm not sure that there is a hard and fast answer for this, although Invisibility offers some clarification, at least as far as what counts as an attack for the purposes of Invisibility.

The spell ends if the subject attacks any creature. For purposes of this spell, an attack includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe. (Exactly who is a foe depends on the invisible character’s perceptions.) Actions directed at unattended objects do not break the spell. Causing harm indirectly is not an attack. Thus, an invisible being can open doors, talk, eat, climb stairs, summon monsters and have them attack, cut the ropes holding a rope bridge while enemies are on the bridge, remotely trigger traps, open a portcullis to release attack dogs, and so forth. If the subject attacks directly, however, it immediately becomes visible along with all its gear. Spells such as bless that specifically affect allies but not foes are not attacks for this purpose, even when they include foes in their area.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    I'm not sure that there is a hard and fast answer for this, although Invisibility offers some clarification, at least as far as what counts as an attack for the purposes of Invisibility.
    I'd look at all the different ways you can harm your enemies without violating the definition of an "attack". Summoning other creatures to attack for you, for example, is one of the classic ways to abuse invisibility. Conjuring ice beasts and using their no-save "cold aura" for example can be a good way to "blast" your enemies with damage but without actually attacking them directly.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

If dragon's breath won't work, assuming you go with the same rules as invisibility - a proximity based buffer (someone with auras/lots of touch buffs) who has summons/one powerful companion could certainly work.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Attack is defined in the Magic section of the PHB as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook p. 171
    Attacks: Some spell descriptions refer to attacking. For instance, invisibility is dispelled if you attack anyone or anything while under its effects. All offensive combat actions, even those that don’t damage opponents (such as disarm and bull rush) are considered attacks. Attempts to turn or rebuke undead count as attacks. All spells that opponents resist with saving throws, that deal damage, or that otherwise harm or hamper subjects are attacks. Summon monster I and similar spells are not attacks because the spells themselves don’t harm anyone.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2020-07-13 at 08:48 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Attack is defined in the Magic section of the PHB as well.
    "Harm or hamper" seems like it has a fair amount of wiggle room for the DM or player to debate on, but that's a good resource.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post

---

But, all in all, I don't think it'd be much abusable. Some, yeah maybe, in that you can make a build that avoids making attacks. But the boost from small size isn't itself game-breaking; even the stuff it could boost awesomely sounds fair to be awesome out without being really overpowered. Even adding to an optimized spellcaster wouldn't be a major boost (since what they already have, and it'd presumably mean not picking a race that boosts their spellcasting stat.)
    It would take digging through years of threads, including ones involved he who shall never be summoned, but yes, by RAW, spells that do "bad things" to anyone is considered an attack.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Get yourself a small Air Elemental as a Familiar or Elemental Companion — now you have a flying mount with speed 100' (perfect).
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    Yeah, person abuse is bad... We should absolutely strive to reduce it.
    Due to your name, I imagined Kaiba saying this, and it feels sooo wrong XD

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

As alternative idea:

How about giving them the Slight Build trait from the Kobold Web enhancement?

Quote Originally Posted by Slight Build
    The physical stature of kobolds lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a kobold is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the kobold is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A kobold is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A kobold can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a kobold remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
    While this is not the same as the ability you mentioned, it is a "officially balanced" racial trait. It even effects combat effectiveness compared to your ability.

Imho when I compare your ability to the Kobolds ability, i don't see any crucial abuse potential.

The slight arguable edge your ability would have is:
    - being tiny lets you move through occupied squares by enemies (still provoking AoO)
    And it is limited by combat start as you said.
    Not such a biggy imho, since most of the time getting access to some kind of "reduce person" (permanent or magic item) is not that hard to get.

Imho go with the Slight Build or your own ability, as you see it fit.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Being of indeterminate size (ie can change size) is a core part of this creature's identity, so that slight build doesn't really work for it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

btw, while are at comprehensions with kobolds (or at least me^^):

Draconic Rite of Passage lets Kobolds take a single 1st lvl spell as SLA for 1/day with clvl = character level.

So, I really don't see your 3/day reduce person till combat start becoming problematic. Sure being tiny gives you some skill bonuses and allows you squeeze into small spaces, but how often will that break the game? Imho not so often.