New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Planescape PC with high ability scores

Hello hello!
    my first post here, I hope that's not wrong at all!

I am doing a new character with 35 PB system.

It's the Planescape setting and we're using almost every source of D&D (Dragon magazines, all manuals and so on), but not with every single Race or Class, we are not using any trait/flaws.

I like high ability scores values, still I am not looking for an OP build (I'd like an efficent one, but not OP). My current character has 94 ability points but has died like 4 times in a row, so it's really not OP for us.

The first idea is this one:

Orog + Half Dragon (LA +2/+3 that will be +1/+3 at lvl 6 and +0/+3 at lvl 9) +14 str +0 dex +2 con +2 int -2 wis +4 cha.

Base abilities:

• 16 Str
    • 13 Dex
    • 10 Int
    • 10 Wis
    • 12 Cha

Final abilities:

• Str 30
    • Dex 13
    • Con 18
    • Int 12
    • Wis 10
    • Cha 16

He should be one-way gladiator that will fight with notbora, then he will pick 2 Prestige Classes (gonna think about them, i'd like to take them asap like 5/1/1)

The other idea is wildren/half-troll (LA +0/+4) but still, I don't know what to do with that.

Any idea?

It seems like I have got clear mind about what I am going to do, but actually I need help for Feats and Equipment that can allow me to maximize my ability points and/or help me in hard situations, and of course maybe some suggestions about base class.

I am aware that i have some serious problems to use spell-like abilities because i forgot everytime to use them, so i'd like to have a lot of passive things.

I'd like to show to you the races, classes and templates but it's all in Italian (my native language).

Edit: Possible races - Templates - Base Classes:

Races
    Aarakocra Aasimar Shadowed Adu'ja
    Bariaur Celadrin Chaond Ciclopean
    Kobold Mongrelfolk D'hin'ni Darfellan
    Diabolus Diopsid Drow Duergar
    Elf Ghost elf Star elf Catfolk
    Phaethon Warforged Water Genasi Fire Genasi
    Earth Genasi Air Genasi Githyanki Githzerai
    Gnome Tinker Gnome Golmoid Grippli
    Hadozee Halfling Hobgoblin Imago
    Jaebrin Kenku Killoren Lamellin
    Lupin Marinid Mechanatrix Half-elf
    Half-orc Minotaur ( Kothian ) Exiled Modron Dwarf
    Neraph Nezumi Orc Orog
    Azerblood Hellbreed Sharakim Glimmerfolk
    Feytouched Tibbit Tiefling Deathtouched
    Tortle Uldra Human Volodni
    Vril Wildren Worghest Zenythri
    Teplates
    Flame soul Wooded creature Chameleon Creature
    Draconic Creature Dragonkin Half-dragon
    Lich Necropolitan Memelith
    Unseelie Half-ninph half-troll
    half-fiend half-elemental half-jinn
    half-celestial half-doppelgenger half-rakshasa
    vampire Dark creature

Classes
    Dragonfire Adept Favoured Soul Archivist Barbarian Bard Knight Cleric
    Crusader Truenamer Wardancer Shapeshifter Druid Scout Gladiator Fighter
    Rogue Warblade Duskblade Hexblade Mage Binder Warlock
    Last edited by Saarsak; 2020-07-14 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Adding more information

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Planescape PC with high ability scores

What level are you starting at, and what level do you reasonably expect to reach?

Starting with an absurd level adjustment means you have way fewer class levels, your hp and saving throws are way lower, and your character dies easily. It may be time to take a different approach to this.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

You could get a lower LA score with either Half-Minotaur or Half-ogre, each being a net +12 Str for a Medium character(and both together net you +16 with only LA+1), along with Large size. If you find yourself too weak because of your current LA, changing to these might help. Applying them on your current char would also boost stats a lot. The Large size will also boost combat maneuvers like Trip and Disarm, so any character based around those is good.

As a general tip, I recommend Tome of Battle for melee types. With a large Con score and some skillpoints, it's very easy to take advantage of Diamond Mind maneuvers, so Warblade is a good class for you. Some of them allow you to use Concentration checks in place of saves, so it's pretty much an auto-succeed whenever you can use them. Give the book a read, it's a great source material.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    What level are you starting at, and what level do you reasonably expect to reach?

Starting with an absurd level adjustment means you have way fewer class levels, your hp and saving throws are way lower, and your character dies easily. It may be time to take a different approach to this.
    Oh right!

i'm haing a PC lev 10 that will be recycled at 75% of px ( 33750 ) ( so it will be lvl 6 almost lvl 7 )

and i'm willing to go as far as i can

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kayblis View Post
    You could get a lower LA score with either Half-Minotaur or Half-ogre, each being a net +12 Str for a Medium character(and both together net you +16 with only LA+1), along with Large size. If you find yourself too weak because of your current LA, changing to these might help. Applying them on your current char would also boost stats a lot. The Large size will also boost combat maneuvers like Trip and Disarm, so any character based around those is good.

As a general tip, I recommend Tome of Battle for melee types. With a large Con score and some skillpoints, it's very easy to take advantage of Diamond Mind maneuvers, so Warblade is a good class for you. Some of them allow you to use Concentration checks in place of saves, so it's pretty much an auto-succeed whenever you can use them. Give the book a read, it's a great source material.
    Actually those templates can't be used :(

we've got a strict list of classes/races/templates

large base creatures are banned, only achieved by pemanent "enlarge person"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Generally, races or templates with a LA aren't worth it. If you want to be exotic and good for brute melee, try a Dragonborn Water Orc.

Or just play a human.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

So at level 10, make a Human, go Human Paragon 1/ Wizard 2/ Fighter 1/ Human Paragon 2/ Spellsword 1/ Incantatrix 3 starting out. Future levels are Abjurant Champion 5, one more Incantatrix, and either Eldritch Knight or Knight Phantom until you're level 20. If you go into the epic levels max out Incantatrix. Use the Fighter Feat Wizard variant in UA to get a Fighter feat instead of Scribe Scroll. Probably specialize in Conjuration or Transmutation with Wizard, trade your familiar for another ACF.

Take Item Familiar at 3rd, make it start as a +1 Ring of Protection and upgrade it yourself for half price to be a Ring of Freedom of Movement with a +1 Deflection bonus added (MIC p234). Always wear a glove or gauntlet over it so it can never be attacked or targeted or slight of handed. Intelligent items are considered constructs and constructs can't be destroyed by disjunction. Invest every skill point you get into it for the greatest return possible toward your Spellcraft checks.

With Incantatrix 3 you can make a Spellcraft check to add a metamagic feat you know to a spell that's already in effect. The DC is 18 + (3 x modified spell level) and you'll have 4th level spells starting out, for a DC 48. You'll have 13 ranks + 13 from invested skill points + 2 for Kn: Arcana synergy + (18, +2 Human Paragon, +2 levels, +6 enhancement) 9 Int bonus + 2 masterwork tool = +39 total, and you can take ten on the check to get a result of 49 and always succeed. Every two levels you gain is a new spell level, each new spell level's DC is three higher. Every two levels you gain two skill ranks and another +2 from the item familiar's invested skill ranks, so your bonus increases faster than the DC.

Starting out you can persist spells like Wraithstrike, Greater Invisibility, Swift Fly, Shield, Thunderlance, Expeditious Retreat, and Alter Self into a form with high natural armor like a Troglodyte. Cast ((Lesser Rod of) Extended) (Greater) Luminous Armor every day, get a Rod of Bodily Restoration to fix the Str damage sacrifice that occurs when that ends. With Thunderlance you'll have a 20 ft. natural reach, you'll be using your Int 28 for attack and damage rolls, you can use it two-handed and power attack for your full BAB and still hit their touch AC thanks to Wraithstrike.

At 12th level you'll have 5th level spells and can persist Draconic Polymorph into a War Troll for Str 39, Dex 16, Con 31, +14 natural armor all day for no level adjustment. Also persist something like Bite of the Werewolf for even more stat bonuses. Consider taking the feat Ability Enhancer in Dragon Compendium to get even higher stats.

You need to get Practiced Spellcaster, Extend Spell, and Combat Casting, your two Fighter bonus feats should be Power Attack and Combat Reflexes, your bonus metamagic feat from Incantatrix is Persistent Spell. Say you gained Iron Will from the Otyugh Hole in CS for 3,000 gp instead of spending a feat on it. You have four more feats to spend, which can be just about anything you want, Spell Focus: Transmutation for Ability Enhancer is a good choice considering you can persist Bite of the Werewolf starting out.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

You might want to double check with your DM that they will allow you to buy off one source of LA at a time instead of all of it together.

If you're using all the books, you could take the half-celestial template more easily. It has a bunch of bonuses, and the Book of Exalted Deeds has rules for using a variable amount of LA based on your racial hit dice. I'm AFB, but I'm pretty sure it's only LA+2 for a race with no RHD.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hello! sorry for late post.

I appretiate a lot your support and any help! ( a step-by-step guide on what can i do is really appretiated! )

But i can't use anythind on what you said :(

Unluckly as i said in the OP i can't use everything from the manuals but just something!

Hello! sorry for late post.

I appretiate a lot your support and any help! ( a step-by-step guide on what can i do is really appretiated! )

But i can't use anythind on what you said :(

Unluckly as i said in the OP i can't use everything from the manuals but just something!

Dragonfire Adept Favoured Soul Archivist Barbarian Bard Knight Cleric
    Crusader Truenamer Wardancer Shapeshifter Druid Scout Gladiator Fighter
    Rogue Warblade Duskblade Hexblade Mage Binder Warlock

and i'd like to post the races, but they're like 4*14 :v

10. - Top - End - #10

Kobold

Could you tell us what books are in play or the rules by which the gm decided the allowed races and templates?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Could you tell us what books are in play or the rules by which the gm decided the allowed races and templates?
    well, actually it's a online dnd community game, we play in chat.
    is a little hard to explain, but we use all the books for the talents... taking the "rulebook" from the website it say this:

"Being a land set between the Plains, where you can literally find everything, it was decided to use all the official publications of D&D 3.5, including the numbers of Dragon Magazine (from 309 to 359) and Dungeon Magazine (from 100 to 154 ). Feats, items and spells can be requested from any of these sources, with some exceptions for 3.5 manuals in specific locations. Just have the manual link on the home page of the site (even without being registered) to get a taste of the infinite possibilities of characterizing your PG without having to have each manual handy. Icing on the cake, most of these things are also automated (Have you cast a spell that has increased your armor class? Just implement the right effect from the appropriate list, and that bonus will appear on the card by itself).

However, it should be remembered that almost all the official material on the Planescape setting is found in the AD&D manuals of the second edition, and as regards the "non-regulatory" descriptions, it is these manuals that take precedence (for example, the Plans Manual 3.0 he says that from the Ethereal Plan one can directly reach the Outer Planes, but any planar sage will have a loud laugh in hearing such a thing ... that ethereal brown curtain leads to the Elemental Plan of the Earth, certainly not to the Outer Lands!).
    "

Edit:

The templates are the following:

Flame soul Wooded creature Chameleon Creature
    Draconic Creature Dragonkin Half-dragon
    Lich Necropolitan Memelith
    Unseelie Half-ninph half-troll
    half-fiend half-elemental half-jinn
    half-celestial half-doppelgenger half-rakshasa
    vampire Dark creature

Edit: nr.2
    2 month ago i could make a water-orc, but it's banned now :(
    my actual PC is a Fire Hobgoblin!
    Last edited by Saarsak; 2020-07-13 at 06:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Kobold

Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2020-07-13 at 08:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Alright. Spend some time looking through these:
    thanks, i'll do id right now! :)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ok, since i've read everything, i can add some precision to everything, i think i'll edit the OP when i've finished.

Well... the races:

Aarakocra Aasimar Shadowed Adu'ja
    Bariaur Celadrin Chaond Ciclopean
    Kobold Mongrelfolk D'hin'ni Darfellan
    Diabolus Diopsid Drow Duergar
    Elf Ghost elf Star elf Catfolk
    Phaethon Warforged Water Genasi Fire Genasi
    Earth Genasi Air Genasi Githyanki Githzerai
    Gnome Tinker Gnome Golmoid Grippli
    Hadozee Halfling Hobgoblin Imago
    Jaebrin Kenku Killoren Lamellin
    Lupin Marinid Mechanatrix Half-elf
    Half-orc Minotaur ( Kothian ) Exiled Modron Dwarf
    Neraph Nezumi Orc Orog
    Azerblood Hellbreed Sharakim Glimmerfolk
    Feytouched Tibbit Tiefling Deathtouched
    Tortle Uldra Human Volodni
    Vril Wildren Worghest Zenythri

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you don't mind a lower bab, you could go Cleric/WarHulk. Focused Domain Cleric (Strength) could use their granted power once per day to increase their Strength by twice their cleric level. If you get full War Hulk, you get +20 Strenth as well.

A Half-Dragon gets +8 Strength for +3 LA, but as another person has pointed out, a Half-Minotaur Half-Ogre gets you +10 for the same amount of LA. Depends on what you want I guess.

So a Half-Minotaur-Ogre with a starting 18 gets 28 at level 1, and if you take Cleric 9/WarHulk 10/Barb1 (for pounce), (assuming buyoff is an option, you'll finish it at 18), you'll have a 33 Str + 20 (from WarHulk) + 6 Belt of Physical Perfection + 4 Righteous Might + 4 Rage + 18 Granted Power + 5 Inherent + 2 Lesser Holy Transformation = 86 Strength (back down to 68 a round later).

It's not the best, but it's how I'd do it.