New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Conquering the land IC

You arrive or are already in Grand maws lair. The entrance is an unremarkable hole in the Devskra mountainside, but when you go further you can see the small signs that something is not quite right.

Small irregular claw marks in the left or right side of the wall, dentures in the wall that house everburning torches that glow in different colors. Too bright green follows stinging yellow and then a way too dark crimson red. On the floor are some scraps of rusted over metal that give way too a lavishly decorated cave.

There is a wonderful woven carpet full of strange arcane symbols that cover the whole floor. There are several golden chairs intrically carved with beautiful and disturbing imagery. There are two couches draped with silverstitched silk.

In one corner of the cave there is a heap of masterfully forged swords, maces and metal armor. In the far back there is a big bed with something that seems to move around…
    But your attention is drawn to the owner of the cave Grand Maw.

She is a big female humanoid, her skin has a deep purple tone like an old hematoma. Her figure is gaunt and when her big white eyes look at you, even one of you may think that she looks way deeper than she should. But then her blind gaze wanders off, not really fixating you.

„Oh, hello my dearies, welcome! welcome! I’m so sorry what happened to your former employee, we had a most beneficious relationship.“ Something like a white worm wringles itself out of her mouth and licks over her lips. When her tongue retreats into her mouth there is a bit of shimmering drool slowly dripping down on the floor.

„But no use crying over rotten honey, am I right? I wanted to share a bit of information with him, but seeing that he is not here anymore I figured why not tell it to you my wonderful, wonderful children, am I right?“

She seems to look at each and everyone of you for a moment.

„Mylord of Silent Iron.

Oh keeper of most peculiar secrets.

Lady weaver and last but certainly not least

Daughter of Silence.“

She sighes heavily, almost joyful?

„I have found the Heart of Darkness.

The first seed.

The net of beginnings or

The howl of change.

It has many names but it’s the the source that makes us what we are. It has been misused by the lord of Hin Richten castle and in it’s sorrow and pain it has cry’d out too me.“
    She blinks several times, it almost seems like she relives that moment intensely.

„I can’t get it! I’m to blind and useless!“ Her body trembles, almost as if the pain is too much to bear. Then she looks up at you and smiles, showing you all her sharp, jagged and yellowed teeth.

„But you can get it right my dearies? You’re former master surely wanted to get it anyway and in a way you’re still honoring him.“
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Conquering the land IC

It has been a while since Parzlaatamuun's heavy footsteps have walked the corridors into Grand Maw's lair. Since the failure of the Dark Lord, he had been hunting down members of the Suncloud Mysterie, one of the cults which had helped to bring down their former master, through ritual summoning of filthy Outsiders. His work had been patient but bloody, and the cult had been decimated by the time the Lord of Silent Iron recieved the missive from Grand Maw.

He walked into the gilded cave chamber, clawlike feet making thudding sounds as they impact upon the bare rock. Eyes glimmer with malicious green light as he looks around, his cloak of razor-edged metallic ribbons making a soft sigh as they cut through the air. As Grand Maw speaks, he listens with focused intent, head slightly tilted as he glances towards his other former companions. The construct's face makes narry a twitch, made of cold metal as it is, but the eyes glitter and flicker with his internal thoughts. And when the Hag finishes her little speech... he lets out a soft chuckle.

"Seeing your disgusting flesh-pile of a face brings me such warmth and joy, Maw. I have missed your slimy, wart-ridden fingers further perfecting my form" he says, surprisingly warmly though the metallic tang of his deep, cultured voice never quite goes away. "The Heart of Darkness, I remember little of its specifics despite its importance. But I would only be too happy to retrieve it, even as a favor for the woman who has refined my body so well in the past. Tell us, Grand Maw, more of the object itself, first. What power does the Heart hold? And how would it help us?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Tayci flew effortlessly through the air and the cave walls, her feathered wings only finding what purchase they specifically desire. She nearly alights on the ground at Grand Maw's side.
    Gently, almost lovingly, the young woman soundlessly caresses the bloated flesh of Grand Maw's arm. She waits to hear out beloved creature's offer and the response of the metal man she knew so well, before running her nails lightly across Grand Maw's arm, a method they had once agreed on for the silent woman's positive answer.
    Last edited by LairdMaon; 2020-07-14 at 04:14 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Raziel's raven wings fold neatly against his back as he smoothly transitions from air to stone at the cave entrance. Steps light, a faint scuffing echo of the heavy thumping of Parzla's passage before him, Raziel strides into the depths of the throat-like entry to the cavern.

While he finds the Grand Maw's need for theatrics eternally tiresome, she simply cannot be prodded from her ways, and often enough her information or resources are well worth the tedium. As her needlessly rambling speech comes to its point Raziel shows something resembling interest. "The Heart of Darkness, a name to pique interest. Tell us more Grandmother, and anything you know of this man and his castle as well that we may liberate this thing from his grasp." It would be good to have direction again, to work toward purpose. While Parzla's recent crusade against the Mysterie held a certain catharsis, it was ultimately of little consequence to their long term goals.

Eyes flicking across their Silent Sister, he nods a cowled head in greeting glad for the presence of reliable allies , so rare among those who share dark intent.
    Last edited by Warlawk; 2020-07-15 at 06:11 PM.
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

~I had almost forgotten your pretty face, Tayci.~ the Lord of Iron 'speaks' with his telepathy, into the Silent Sister's mind. "And you, Outsider. Don't think I didn't notice your... oblique assistance with the Mysterie. You have my gratitude, loath as I am to give it to an invader like youself."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The old night hag seems very relieved when she gains the answer of three of her chosen allies.

"I almost forgot my sweet little daughter, I have something for you." From somewhere old Maw produces a glass bottle, with some violently swirling mist inside. it has a black rotten stopper that sometimes seems to tremble from the violent trashings of the mist inside but it seems to hold it in for now.

"A last breath from a nice young man, should you need it. Free of charge, this time."

Spoiler: Tayci
    Show
    Should you breath it in you can talk or sing for 5 rounds.

When she turns towards Parzlaatamuun she cackles. "Oh I almost forgot how charming you moving pile of rust can be." She stretches her fingers, almost in anticipation of more work, but holds herself back.

"The Heart's powers are manyfold. When you liked what my gout-ridden fingers could do to your bodyÂ… Well let's just say you wouldn't believe it. It is rumored that it's the first source that bring beings into this world that the humans are calling monsters. And it's able to bring forth our deepest desires and give it's form. And that form is imprinted on they're owners."

A sudden fit of rage fly's over her face but she is quickly calmed by Tayci on her side.

"But count Mordigar, the current holder of Hin Richten castle has misused it! He hurt it and almost drained it of it's power! I didn't know what he did with it but it's so hurt! I can still feel it."

She folds her two arms over her chest, there is a bit of dark blood oozing under her ingrown nails.

Grand Maw nods towards Raziel.

"Well we are practically neighbors. Count Mordigar is a powerful magician, he recently took the steps towards lichdom and has surrounded his castle with this annoying Black Sand that drains your life just by stepping towards it. I'm sure it's great for all his undead servants but I despise it. His castle is massive and grand,. No wonder, I'm sure everything else he had has already rotted away. He has a lot of strange and massive golems and undead under his command. He had a visit from Baron Woodstride recently, and I don't know what they have been up to. Baron Woodstride really don't has anything interesting in his lands.

I also can't say how by the bloody hells he has gotten his rotten filthy hands on the heart!

But if you retrieve it we may be able to give it it's power back. And I may even be able to see again. And even your innermost desires will be granted."
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-07-14 at 05:05 AM.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

7. - Top - End - #7

Raziel gives a hint of a bow in response to Parzla's words "While I doubt you needed the help, I would be loathe to lose someone who wishes to see the destruction of the planes as much as I."
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Lichdom, pah. A weak effort to keep the soul hidden. At least vampires like Lady Faertith have the will to take their life from the weaker. I shall enjoy crushing such a man's dreams." Parzlaa says with no small amount of amusement. "Actually, Zara's expertise would be useful. She knows of that energy and magic and might be able to shield us from it for an infiltration or assault. Is she invited also, Grand Maw?"
    Last edited by Genth; 2020-07-14 at 05:35 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Her eyes lit up with joy, Tayci takes the small bottle and rips the stopper out with her teeth. Her tongue circles the lip before she pours the whole thing into her mouth, sucking down the mist with obvious delight.

"Thank you, Grand Maw," she fawns, "you kept a tasty one for me. Of course you have my allegiance. The Dark Lord trusted you well and I have no reason to deny nor misuse that. With the help of these fine men," she says that while looking sharply at Raziel and Parzlaa almost hungrily, "I think we will find success without great difficulty." Her hungry eyes lock with Parzlaa's, "Wouldn't you agree?"
    Last edited by LairdMaon; 2020-07-14 at 08:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Zara stood, deathly still, as she took in the conversation so far. "Lichdom is a trap." She pauses a moment, thinking, one leg tapping out a rhythm on the floor. His defenses will be insufficient to keep us out - indeed, they may well be turned against him with little effort."

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Parzlaa turns his gaze to the Drider, eyes brightening for a moment as he seems to stare at her rather intently. "We are agreed to assist our friend Grand Maw then. Excellent. Lady Zara, I assume that you and I would be unaffected by this 'black sand', but Raziel and Tayci perhaps are more vulnerable. What steps can we take to ensure their survival? Tayci in particular will be needed to infiltrate and gather information upon this Lich's fortress."

12. - Top - End - #12

Raziel considers for a moment, tapping the chin barely visible beneath the voluminous cowl. "I do have a spell to protect against negative energy effects. I only have one available today but could prepare another tomorrow if needed. Before we complicate things overmuch, Grandmother do you know if there are measures in place to prevent us from simply flying or teleporting past the sand?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Your concern, Parzlaa, is gratifying but unnecessary. So long as I remain in my natural state, I should be safe from it. Alternatively, I could pass beneath it completely."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The construct inclines his head to the daughter of silence. "Then we have little problem should we assault the place. Though obviously as the Fallen says, we should explore more direct options for infiltration."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Grand Maw seems to be quite happy when you discuss your plans, when she is asked for her expertise however her mood turns sour.

"I don't think that he has a measure to stop you from simply flying over the sand before his castle. I'm pretty sure he has archers there, but nothing more dangerous. I would advise against teleporting directly into his castle. You will be able to do it, I'm sure but then he will know exactly who is coming for him and he'll even be able to set a trap.

Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 31
    Show
    She most likely means a Greater anticipate teleport effect.

I fear I can't tell you more, all my wonderful divination spells that actually make it through his defenses are nearly useless without me being able to see.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    That is something new. Normally you'd be able to see, even when your blind with a Clairaudience/Clairvoyence effect, but it seems she is barred even from that.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The Lord of Silent Iron begins to move more fully, half turning and taking a few steps towards the exit of the cave, cloak fluttering slightly. "Then we have our goal. Raziel, teleport us to a few miles away from the castle. Zara, myself and the Angel test their defenses a little. If it creates an opening, Tayci will sneak in and do some scouting for us." he says, voice changing slightly, becoming commanding, though respectful.

17. - Top - End - #17

Raziel's cowl dips, nodding in acknowledgement to Parzla. "A moment please while I draw the lay of the land from within." His hooded head glances around to each of the others in turn. "Are we prepared to leave now, or do we need time to gather ourselves and prepare?"

Spoiler: OOC Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+42)[57]
    Jack of all Trades feat, count as having 1/2 rank trained.
    Bardic Knack, count as having 6 ranks in all skills.
    +1 Int
    +20 Guidance of the Avatar spell (Competence Bonus).
    +15 Divine Insight (Insight Bonus).
    Last edited by Warlawk; 2020-07-15 at 06:12 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

The Fallen Angel draws his legs up folded beneath him, floating in the air with arms raised to the side. The room seems to ripple and pulse around him as unknown and unknowable syllables ring forth, a deep corrupted tone that seems to pulse through everyone present. Letting out a deep sigh Raziel uncrosses his legs and settles his feet back to the floor, eyes fluttering open. "I believe I know just the place. An overlook with a few trees, near but not too close. Untouched by man for untold years, the local spirits there had such Secrets to whisper."
    Last edited by Warlawk; 2020-07-15 at 06:12 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Knowledge stolen and made to work to our own ends. I approve, Raziel." Parzlaatamuun notes with an warm tone. He steps over to the Angel's side ready to take his hand for the teleportation

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Tayci glides to her cohorts and places her hands ever so lightly on their shoulders. "Take when you're ready. I am as prepared as ever and very eager to have some fun." The broad grin on her face proves her claim.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Grand Maw parts with a little bit of wisdom.

Beware my ambassadors, you're powers are great but don't underestimate the one who was able to hurt the heart so much.

When Raziel whisks the group away all land safely on a little hill, some dessicated bushes are grasping for soil, some trees who seem to fare a little better and have some sharp-looking leaves on them shield you slightly from onlookers.

Raziel didn't remember the jet black wall that is likely 3 miles away and seems to stretch towards the horizons. The splotches of black sand that seem to surround the enormous castle also seem new.

A small sandstorm elemental (it goes up to Parzlataamuun's knee) whirls up and seems to look at you. But when it realizes what you all are it seems to slowly circle away.

Spoiler: Auran
    Show
    I'm not here, I have no business here. Just whirling around.

On your right side there seems to be a small unpoluted river, several hundred feet away from you there are three adventurers that seem to follow the flowing water. From one of the blotches of black sand emerges a huge body that strides towards them. A weapon from one of the adventurers seems to lit up and he engages the construct.

Another one hangs back and draws strange symbols in the air, before he can complete what he wants to do a crocodile with wings on it's back emerges from the river grasps him and wants to draw him back into the waters where it came from.

Spoiler: Knowledge nature DC 25
    Show
    It seems to be a Crocosphinx. They are known to be quite aggressive and relatively intelligent for a crocodile.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Parzlaatamun takes a step forwards the moment the teleportation energies cease around them, raising a hand and looking around before his eyes fall on the small band of adventurers. A small cold laugh comes from him. "How amusing. It seems we are not the only ones to seek out this place... This provides an opportunity however. Perhaps we could 'assist' them, and distract Mordigar from the threat we truly pose." he says, head tilting slightly as he looks down towards them. "Some form of disguise, perhaps? Raziel, Zara, are you able to provide a magical cloaking?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    Parzlaatamun takes a step forwards the moment the teleportation energies cease around them, raising a hand and looking around before his eyes fall on the small band of adventurers. A small cold laugh comes from him. "How amusing. It seems we are not the only ones to seek out this place... This provides an opportunity however. Perhaps we could 'assist' them, and distract Mordigar from the threat we truly pose." he says, head tilting slightly as he looks down towards them. "Some form of disguise, perhaps? Raziel, Zara, are you able to provide a magical cloaking?"
    "Shapeshifting, but...not cloaking, per se. I'm not much of one for hiding. I'm almost more inclined to turn them, and send them on their task anyway. If we believe we can take them down without attracting too much attention, that is."

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"I meant a magical disguise. More for the purpose of misdirecting the Lich, making him think it is 'heroes' coming for him, rather than beings of will and power." Parzlaatamun explains.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    "I meant a magical disguise. More for the purpose of misdirecting the Lich, making him think it is 'heroes' coming for him, rather than beings of will and power." Parzlaatamun explains.
    "Such is an aspect of my education that I have not found great urgency in maintaining," she replies, almost sounding irritated.

My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #26

Once the others have established the required physical link Raziel speaks a single syllable, a chiming of pure steel that stretches and warps into the shriek of tearing metal. Reality seems to ripple away from the sound and finds itself too brittle, shattering to unleash the Cabal upon their destination.

Taking in their surroundings a frown creases the pale chin peeking from beneath the deep cowl as Raziel surveys the wall. As the others discuss their possible courses of action his hood rustles in the negative "Illusion is not something I tend to pursue. I do have some magics that would allow you to alter your forms, though those of us with more unusual anatomies may not be able to take advantage of that. I can likely talk them" a nod of his cowled head indicates the embattled adventurers "into traveling with us to assault the castle as allies, though turning them for more absolute control is certainly worth considering as well."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The iron lord nods. "Cast your magics then. Claim me as some form of Golem, and you shall speak to them. But first to help them with their problem." he says, and his eyes gleam brightly. His wings snap upwards, the ribbons in an instant becoming grand pinions, and he leaps into the air, charging forwards towards the black sand blotch, a few bolts flying from his shoulders.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Begining to move, 120ft towards the black sand thing, shooting a bolt at it.

Attack Roll (1d20+18)[32]
    Damage (1d8+12)[17] plus (1d6)[3] electrical damage from Shocking weapon quality.
    If it hits he then channels electrical discharge with the Conductive property on his weapons for (12d6)[39] Electrical Damage. FYI this is only 1/round that he can do that.
    Last edited by Genth; 2020-07-16 at 05:02 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warlawk View Post

Once the others have established the required physical link Raziel speaks a single syllable, a chiming of pure steel that stretches and warps into the shriek of tearing metal. Reality seems to ripple away from the sound and finds itself too brittle, shattering to unleash the Cabal upon their destination.

Taking in their surroundings a frown creases the pale chin peeking from beneath the deep cowl as Raziel surveys the wall. As the others discuss their possible courses of action his hood rustles in the negative "Illusion is not something I tend to pursue. I do have some magics that would allow you to alter your forms, though those of us with more unusual anatomies may not be able to take advantage of that. I can likely talk them" a nod of his cowled head indicates the embattled adventurers "into traveling with us to assault the castle as allies, though turning them for more absolute control is certainly worth considering as well."
    "I can also help them pass on and become spirits proper, enhancing them in many ways. It wouldn't provide control, but if we're intending to ally with them without arising suspicion, it could..." she hesitates, searching for the right phrase, "...entice them to our alliance?" She shrugs. "Control if preferable to me, reduces variables and lets me feed. But turning them into ghosts might make them more dangerous to the lich, since as spawn they would have...trouble entering his domain."

My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The screaming adventurer get's dragged by the winged crocodile towards the water. The one that stands, draws a bow, but the arrow he shoots doesn't seem to affect the creature.

The adventurer running towards the golem evades his striking down fist, he does some fancy sword move and their blade catches on fire! He's striking out at the construct and burns some of the black sand into black glass.

Spoiler: Knowledge (martial) 21
    Show
    The adventurer used a Dessert Wind maneuver.

Parzlaatamuun's bolt hits and electricity rans through the sand, every grain of sand seems to lose cohesion and the construct seems to lose some mass that swirls around him.

Spoiler: Black sand golem status
    Show
    It's bloodied (at half HP) and through the swirling sand has cover (20% miss chance.) Should you go into melee you'd get (2d6)[8] negative energy damage.

Spoiler: MAP
    Show
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-07-16 at 06:49 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Raziel's cowl shakes slightly at Parzla's impulsiveness, "Well, I suppose we're committed now." As he moves forward Raziel straps his shield in place, the fingers of his other hand twisting and blurring in a series of sharp motions that pierce the eye of the beholder.

Spoiler: OOC and Statblock
    Show
    Casting Glibness, moving 30' toward Parzla and drawing shield.
    Raziel
    Angel NE Angel Bard 10, Sublime Chord 2//Angel 12, Level 12, Init 1, HP 134/134, Speed 30
    AC 37, Touch 11, Flat-footed 36, Fort 15, Ref 15, Will 20, Base Attack Bonus 12/7/2
    Greater Magic Weapon +3 Cold Iron Rapier +3 +28/23/18 (1d6+17, 15+x2)
    Cold Iron Falchion +3 +28/23/18 (2d4+19, 18+x2)
    Magic Vestment +3 Mithral Breastplate +3, Githcraft, Magic Vestment +3 Mithral Heavy Shield +3 (+8 Armor, +5 Shield, +1 Dex, -1 Size, +1 Deflect, +13 Natural)
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 13, Wis 19, Cha 28
    Condition Glibness
    Tongues, Discern Lies, True Seeing
    Greater Magic Weapon +3, Magic Vestment Armor and Shield +3, Superior Resistance +6
    Resistance Acid, Cold, Petrification+12, Resistance Fire Electricity 6, +12 Vs Poison, DR 6/Good, SR 23. Magic Circle Vs Good (Bonus = Cha Mod) and Minor Globe of Invulnerability 3rd lvl spells. Regeneration 6/Good.