New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Conquering the land IC

Tayci makes a show of thinking the idea over. After several minutes, she kicks a still-warm corpse over and a fine dagger takes form in her hand. She bends over it and applies the blade to the unmoving flesh. When she stands back up, she looks over her handiwork and smiles daintily. She gestures to it with empty hands.

Spoiler: Carved into the dead meat.
    Show

Promise me first choice of two rooms for my own purposes, no questions, no supervision concerning them.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

"Acceptable," Zara replied after some thought. She almost clarified further, but felt it was unnecessary and obvious, so she kept silent and instead began gathering her future servants.

"We will need to bolster our defenses in short order, if the allies of this lot are similarly outfitted. Perhaps they were the best available in capability and armament, and such precautions aren't quite as necessary, but...better safe than sorry."

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Parzla looks to the corpse Tayci carves into, and inclines his head, a bemused flicker moving through his glowing eyes. He turns to Zara and nods in agreement. "If you can convince that monstrous creature to guard this place instead of what we promised, good, otherwise we shall keep our end of the bargain. Can you begin the work on making the citadel secure? You may have any materiel we have won through battle for this. Speaking of, Tayci. You should more fully scout the citadel. No doubt in my mind Mordigar had stores of Onyx, which would be of great value to the Lady." he turns to Raziel next. "Teleport back to Grand Maw, and tell her to pack her things. I want her here, secure and safe... and producing magical gear for us." he states, and lets out a laugh as he takes a few steps around the throne room. "At last. At last I can prove my true might."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

What coming with you and leaving my wonderful beautiful cave? Well give myself a moment, Raziel dear. Grand maw retreats to her bed chambers. There is a loud crack to be heard and then some disgusting chewing and gulping sounds. There is a bit of blood on her lips when she returns. "I fear we need to do several trips. But I'm sure you can send some people or other things."

Grand Maw doesn't comment her new surroundings (no wonder, she's blind after all) but she still says: "The air feels heavy with death. It may take some time till I have made my home here. But I have done it often enough these days." She would take a room near the throne room and rearrange her stuff, pretty much the same way she did in the cave. Including her grand bed.

The five surviving necromancers would report to Lady Zara.

The other scoop of the grand structure reveals some surviving free-willed undead that either want to get out or also pledge they're loyalty. A lot of undead have also suddenly fallen down. (mostly sceletons and Zombies.)

Spoiler: Surviving "troops"
    Show
    Mining Squad of 20 Energy infused sceletons.
    15 Ghouls.
    1 Drowned.
    1 Huge sceleton scorpion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Raziel nods in acquiescence to the Lord of Living Metal. Once he has gathered the Grand Maw and her baggage and returned her to the keep the Fallen explores the upper reaches looking for a generously sized room, preferably with a balcony for easy egress. When the time comes for the Grand Maw to view the Heart Raziel will gather with the others to decide upon our next course of action.
    Last edited by Warlawk; 2020-09-07 at 11:10 PM.
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

While the others explore the castle, Parlzatamuun summons Grand Maw to the Throne Room, where he has been sitting with seveal books, along with the heart. "Can I assume you have gathered what I plan, Grand Maw? You are of course offered a place within my new.. project, and anything you wish for I shall grant. In return, you will create magical tools to bolster our power. You can start with this." he says, and removes the segmented metal plating around his midriff. "As my power grows, I no longer have need of this movement enhancing belt. Use it, and anything else we have won, and make something suitable for me. You can decide, I trust you, Maw." he laughs behind his unmoving face.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Giving Grand Maw his belt of Dexterity +4, feel free to put it in the pile of stuff Maw can change and hammer into new stuff.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think I have a pretty good idea what you have planned… But what mere scraps of power you have gathered won't be enough. She takes the belt and it seems to vanish in one of her wrinkles in her shoulder. She can barely constrain the need to go to the heart but doesn't for now as a show of respect towards the Lord of Silent Iron. For your plan to bear fruit the power of the heart must grow. I want to assist it with that… May I? After Parzlaatamuun gave even the slightest response in the positive the old night hag slithers eagerly towards the heart. She stretches out one hand fast, but then slowly almost gently touches it. The heart seems to shudder and move and Grand Maw's face contorts in unbelievable horror.

It's hurt! It was hurt so much. It still cry's and bleeds! Grand maw's muscles contort, her eyes roll into the back of her head and she falls to the ground. Only slowly regaining composure. When she stands up again black tears have carved themselves into her face. I can't believe what they did to it... My... She wipes away the tears and stomps angrily on the ground. Splitting some of the stone floor. It could have been dead! Mordigar could have killed it, that stupid little lich. She breathes in heavily several times still she assembles herself. It was split apart. Not by Mordigar he was to weak to accomplish something like that. It was ripped asunder and strewn About to weaken it more and more, because he knew it was the only thing in existence that could KILL HIM! The last words are spat out in such a vitriolic way that when Grand Maw spits out after that, her saliva burns a hole in the floor.

It lives for now. And the other parts too. But it's weak and hurt. You should try to restore it. If it regained his power we should be able to topple one of the pillars of existence. With a quick wave of her hand she summons a table with a map strewn about. It has shown me where parts of it lay. But it has been several thousand years till it really saw it's surroundings. A lot of it may have changed… Or Nothing, I can't say for sure. I haven't been outside that much, pretty much like you.

Important map!

As far as I know the dwarven lands are mostly conquered by surface-dwelling dwarfs with strange cultural Habits. They close itself out. But I think the heart is passed down generation from generation as a sort of ancestral relic. Or even relics.

The frozen wastes were once the home of dragons but they were extinguished hundreds of years ago. Perhaps it's in some abandoned hoard there.

The scrapyard… I don't know what this place is now to be honest.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The Construct leans back on the throne and tents his fingers slightly as he watches Grand Maw speak, eyes dimming to single points of green light, his focus total. When she finishes, he lets the silence hold in the air for a few moments. "We must find and restore the heart, clearly, my friends. To war against the dwarves - and I wager it would require such an endeavor - is out of out hands right now, and so my immediate thought is the frozen wastes. We travel there, find the next piece of the heart, and see where it takes us." he says, looking around to the others before his gaze slips back to Maw for a moment, staring at her before he stands up. "You should rest, my dear Maw. The trauma of the heart's sundering must be painful."

9. - Top - End - #129

The fallen angel joins the others as they gather in the Throne room when the Grand Maw came to view the Heart. He draws his legs up under him, floating in the air with his cowled head bowed. The power of the Maw's words rocks through him, shaking him with their intensity, he twitches and quivers in time with her voice as it flows from sibilant to grating and back. He gathers his thoughts as the Lord of Iron speaks, laying out their path forward then speaks "The fragments of the Heart must be gathered, starting with any one is as good as another. When the Heart gifted us with visions it buried a secret within me. A place related in some way to my creator" the word seems sour in his mouth, grating and twisting as it comes forth "I am unsure if it holds something only of interest to me, or if it holds secrets and power that would help us in our efforts to gather the Heart fragments. It lies far to the Southeast though the vision did not give me the clarity needed to teleport there directly. The Frozen Wastes is as good a destination as any other, I only offer this information as something to remember in our future planning."
    Last edited by Warlawk; 2020-09-15 at 02:59 AM.
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"A prospect we shall deal with later, Fallen Angel." Parzlaatamuun says, very nearly cutting the angel off.

Spoiler: DC 34 Sense Motive Check this includes Grand Maw
    Show

(1d20+20)[34]

He is being deceptive, Raziel's clue has deeply garnered his interest, he is feigning that it isn't important.
    Last edited by Genth; 2020-09-15 at 03:46 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The old night hag looks in Raziel's general direction, it seems that she wants to say something but she seems pretty fatigued and just mutters towards Raziel. As Long as you remember where your allegiance lies now... She try's a courtesy towards Parzlaatamuun but nearly slips and falls.

I thank you my Lord you are most considerate of me. I shall try to get myself together and perhaps find out a bit more about the regions surrounding us. After I have taken some deeply needed rest.

She slouches out of the throne room and leaves you to your planning.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Once sure she is gone, Parzlaatamuun turns his gaze back to Raziel. "We will go to this place as early as possible, Raziel. Note how Maw has reacted, I suspect that she is... older than any one of us thought." he brings a clawed finger to his faceplate, curled as he thinks. "We must discover who the heart belongs to. Great power could be ours, certainly, but merely being tools to resurect some ancient Lord of Darkness... that would be a missed opportunity, do you not agree?" he lets out a small chuckle, before finishing. "Reveal nothing of these suspicions to Maw herself. For now, let us do as we said, and travel to the frozen wastes. Are you all prepared?"

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Tayci adjusts her posterior on the stone plinth she's chosen as her perch. A tendril of green goo extends from her skull and takes shape before her exuberant face.

Frozen wastes could be fun. I've wondered if spilt blood makes designs in the ice before it cools. I guess we'll see!

14. - Top - End - #134

Raziel is a little surprised to be cut off so abruptly by Parzlaa, as the Lord of Iron is usually much more tactful. He mentally shrugs it off and watches the scene continue to unfold and the Maw takes her leave. "We are all tools to one another but our goals align and we make no efforts to deceive or manipulate. There is no shame in being a useful tool, but to lie and manipulate instead of finding the mutually beneficial is reprehensible." The Angel nods his affirmation "I am ready to travel when we all have our affairs in order."

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Don't forget yourself Raziel. You are a great ally, but you are from beyond nevertheless. You cannnot comprehend us of the material plane. What I do is nessecary. And it is no deciet, merely the discovery and keeping of a secret, with which you are well familiar." Parzlaatamuun says, standing and flexing his hands. A pair of sharp blades suddenly emergy from above his wrist, a new twist on his natural weapons. He holds his hand in front of his mask and concentrates, the blade extending suddenly to the length of a greatsword, and he nods, satisfied. He walks down from the throne to stand amidst the others. "Teleport us to the Frozen Wastes, Fallen Angel. We begin."

16. - Top - End - #136

Raziel nods his hooded head, stepping to the center of the room so the others can easily gather around. Once they are gathered and have laid hands on him he begins to hum, a sound deep and thrumming forth from his chest. The pitch stays low but the intensity rapidly rises making the Cabal feel as if they are vibrating in place. As the frequency of vibration increases the room blurs around them, reality seeming to wink out, being replaced with nothing but the buzzing intensity of self. A sudden sound, as a whip crack and in that instant they are, elsewhere.

Show
    Casting Teleport, I am not sure the scale of the map. Teleport range would be 1300 miles. Target area would be the south east corner of the Frozen Wastes, where the wastes meet the forests south of them.
    Teleport accuracy (1d100)[35]

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When the group is whisked away they reappear in the same moment on a small hill.

The confining throne room is replaced with an obscured sky. A mixture of rain and snow is currently falling down and would be chilling or even deadly for a mortal. The land surrounding the group is barren but not totally without life. Some sturdy trees and some underbrush is surrounding the small hill. A white hare is spooked and runs away, only to be snatched up by a white two-tailed fox.

With the keen eyesight of some, the outline of great mountains can be seen in the far reaches of the North. To the west, a mile away the red-black walls of a bastion can be seen. The small of blood also waves over from there. There is a well-maintained road coming off from the Bastion that snakes itself to the south, it seems there is a long way till the next settlement.

To the east are more trees and it seems like a frosty forest begins there.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Tayci breathes deep the blood smell and takes to the air to investigate. She begins with a outward spiraling path around the party before angling straight into the small bastion. A scout must do as a scout does.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The wind is cold and fierce but isn't able to impede Tayci in any way. When looking at the Bastion from above it's roughly six-sided. Like someone decided on that design initially but didn't pull through. It's far away from the precise buildings in Mordigar's former home. There seem to be no guardposts on the 30 foot high walls. Inside the construction are several buildings that cover on the insides of the walls like frightened cattle. Some pretty suicidal buildings are built a bit more deeper in the bastion but they are the exception. There is a hole in the wall on the side of the Bastion that is faced towards the beginning of the snowy wastes. Several individuals try to patch it up and the source of the smell of blood is seen here.

There seems to be some kind of ritual in place. Several people are standing around, sitting and praying towards people who are lying on the Ground. One man walks around swinging an incense holder lightly from side to side while intoning a melody with a coarse and rough voice. One of the several people who lie on the ground get's taken towards the center of the bastion. There stands a golden statue depicting an upright standing man with a peculiar mask on his face. Surrounding him are several wooden and stone tombstones.

Spoiler: Tayci
    Show
    Something about the statue makes you feel uneasy.

Some of the people lying on the ground are nearly naked and seem to have differently colored patches of skin on them.

Spoiler: Tayci, people watching
    Show
    Landing on the side of one of the fallen, you can discern that the dead seem to be separated into big, muscly humans with differently colored patches on they're skin and not much clothing and clothed humans who are muscular but not overtly so.

After closer inspection it seems that the nearly naked people don't have different colored patches on they're skin, it seems more like differently colored scales that are actually part of they're skin. The cause of dead seem to be mostly arrows, and piercing wounds, most likely from spears.

The clothed people are all wearing simple White Cloth. The cause of death seem to be heavy Burning and for others parts of them seem to be just missing. With some you can't discern the case of death.

The melody that one guy is singing is scraping on your nerves and it gives you the hint of a headache.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-09-25 at 02:36 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

The singing has gotten a bit much for the hateful creature that is Tayci. With a silent snarl she flings a trio of harpoons into the singer. There will be no question how he died.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

First Attack
    To Hit via ignoring armor (1d20+20)[23]
    Spoiler: Lucky reroll
    Show

To Hit (1d20+20)[38]

To Hurt (1d10+10)[18]
    Force, Fleshgrinding

Second Attack
    To Hit via ignoring armor (1d20+15)[17]
    Show

To Hit (1d20+15)[19]

To Hurt (1d10+10)[16]
    Force, Fleshgrinding

Third Attack
    To Hit via ignoring armor (1d20+10)[30]
    Show

To Hit (1d20+10)[26]

To Hurt (1d10+10)[13]
    Force, Fleshgrinding

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The three harpoons lodge itself in the chest of the singing man with such force that he is flung back several feet. They're hangs an audible silence in the air. But just for a moment.

Another attack!

They never did that before?

Where are they?

Several people draw weapons and look around. Some weapons glow. Some of the tombstones also begin to glow and the ruckus is even heard from the other members of the Party. There is chaos and uncertainty but it seems Tayci haven't been seen.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Tayci leaves the three harpoons to do their work in the singer and turns her attention to one of the people with a glowing sword. A salvo of harpoons soar his way.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

First Attack
    To Hit via ignoring armor (1d20+20)[34]
    Show

To Hit (1d20+20)[34]

To Hurt (1d10+10)[16]
    Force, Fleshgrinding

Second Attack
    To Hit via ignoring armor (1d20+15)[35]
    Show

To Hit (1d20+15)[26]

To Hurt (1d10+10)[11]
    Force, Fleshgrinding

Third Attack
    To Hit via ignoring armor (1d20+10)[16]
    Show

To Hit (1d20+10)[24]

To Hurt (1d10+10)[11]
    Force, Fleshgrinding

Singer
    To Hurt (1d10+10)[16]
    Force
    Round 1 of 5

To Hurt (1d10+10)[17]
    Force
    Round 1 of 5

To Hurt (1d10+10)[20]
    Force
    Round 1 of 5

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Back at the teleportation site, Parzlaatamuun had watched Tayci fly away with a bemused air about him, cold green pinpricks of eyes moving across the mountain range as he takes in the sights. While their scout did her job, the Construct spoke to the other two telepathically, querying eveything they knew about the area or the bastion with their limited and somewhat out of date knowledge. "Dip into your trove of secrets if there is a chance of useful information, Fallen Angel." he mused, at which point the commotion from the Bastion itself.

"Looks like our scout has caused some trouble." he observes, rising a few inches into the air as spars of steel emerge from his back in a sunburst, glowing with energy and lifting him upwards. With a faint WHOOF he takes off towards the fort, arms crossed over his broad metal chest.

24. - Top - End - #144

Raziel shakes his hooded head as the others rush off 'so impulsive these mortals.' The Broken Angel lifts slightly off the ground as his wings flair out to the sides, arms raised in a V as if praising the unseen sun. He throws his head back in a silent scream and reality seems to fracture and shatter in front of him. A kaleidoscope of stained glass shards explode outward piercing the flora, fauna and very spirits of the land before they swirl back to the Fallen one. A vortex of crystalline fragments forming runes and letters of all languages as they whirl in a spiral, tighter and tighter until they shatter and crash into his forehead where the Third Eye would be located, there burrowing into the secrets nestled within the broken folds of his mind.

Show
    Casting Lore of the Gods: +5 Insight to Knowledge, may expend to check untrained
    Casting Guidance of the Avatar: +20 Competence to a skill check
    I would think for either knowledge Local or Nobility, whatever you think would be most appropriate Alhallor.
    (1d20+26)[31]
    Last edited by Warlawk; 2020-09-26 at 01:44 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Zara flies alongside the others, contemplating what to turn these soon-to-be victims into. She glances at Parz now and the, still unsure what to make of his declared higher ambitions...but still, better to not make waves for the moment.

Waves...hmm...there's an idea...

She eyes the camp as they close in on it.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When the Spirits of the land pierce Raziels spirit he gets a lot of confused and frightened responses and one very talkative one.

Spoiler: Raziel
    Show
    I'll take the check both for Knowledge:local and Nobility

"The winter is longer than usual." "The barbarians attacked the Bastion recently." "Not even the barbarions honor the Spirits of the land anymore. They all follow they're own totem."

"Ow! Oh you want to know something? Why didn't you tell so? General Montarthas is currently the leader of that bastion but he is currently on a way to rally more troops with his advisor. The lands of Carnin, that's the king here, wants to bring the barbarian lands under his command but if you ask me the battle is pretty futile. The barbarians aren't really united and have they're own tribal leaders. After losing they're main hunting targets, dragons by the way, they have decided that only if you have a bunch of human teeth you're a strong guy.

The bastion is putting up a coordinated defense and hold out a time, but they're attacks are either not effective or don't do enough damage to hurt you. If you were weaker they may pose a problem, because they are quite disciplined but even if they are able to hit you. You're resistances or your internal healing takes care of that. All in all you get the sceleton crew of the bastion that are around a 100 man.

Spoiler: Zara's minions
    Show
    (2d4-2)[3] Vampires raise after (1d4)[3] days.
    (2d7)[4] Zombies.

Spoiler: Parzlaatamuuns mystery charges.
    Show
    (1d6)[5]

Spoiler: Items
    Show
    5 shortswords +1
    4 Chain Shirts +1
    20 bottles of Alchemist fire
    10 bottles of Potion of Cure light wounds.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Parzlaatamuun finishes off a soldier with a single beam of virulent green electrified light from an upraised finger, the victim's bones briefly visible as the life is zapped away from his bones. He turns to Tayci, head tilted slightly. "Not that I am complaining about the entertainment, Tayci, but do tell - precisely why are we slaughtering these peons?"

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

The slimy word bubble oozes out of her head as she checks her nails for any sign of breakage. "I don't know why you killed then, but I was expressing my displeasure with their singing."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Bastion lies silent, only the dripping of some blood and the moan of a freshly risen zombie can be heard.

After the last guard falls the eyes of Raziel and Zara are drawn to the statue in the middle of the bastion.

Spoiler: Zara, Raziel
    Show
    The statue doesn't depict any deity that you know. But it makes you feel a bit uneasy, like there is a slight scratching in the insides of your head, like the beginning of a headache. Or something that you SHOULD know but just can't remember.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Hmm. While I would have prefered to keep more quiet, I will not repremand you, Tayci. Your bloodlust pleases and amuses me, and it was hardly a set back. Lady Zara" Parzlaatamuun says, turning to the Drider. "Perhaps your thralls could hold this bastion for us? If we end up needing to prosecute an actual campaign here, it could make an excellent forward post, no?" he asks, politely.