New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Little one wants to be Xykon for Halloween...

She's 6.

Yes, I'm starting early. I have ADHD and basic sewing skills. I started a month early on last year's costume and didn't get it done.

Most up-to-date image I can find for Xykon is in comic 1189. Looks like the costume itself didn't change much in the art upgrade - the robe is just longer and ever-so-slightly more fitted rather than T-shirt shaped, and the crown is better outlined. And he has shoes now.

So, planning to make:

-Crown - either flat cardboard cut-out or some kind of moulded cardboard
    -Cloak - sewing time! If I were an expert costumist I'd go for velvet, but I think it's a bit beyond me.
    -robe - ugh, I have to do an armscye...
    -belt - trying to decide between gold and brown. Later comics look more brown to me, earlier ones quite bright yellow.
    -mask - probably flat cardboard cut-out

and she can wear her black sneakers. Not entirely sure what I want to do with arms yet.

Tips welcome. Will be hopefully posting progress shots, but like I said, ADHD, so updates likely to be few and irregular...

Wish me luck!
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Little one wants to be Xykon for Halloween...

For any exposed bony bits, use glow-in-the-dark paint. It's not strictly accurate, but it is cool, especially for a six-year-old. And I believe the standard "skeleton" costume is a black shirt with the bones painted on in glow-in-the-dark paint.

You could also wire up a pair of red LEDs in the eye sockets.

I don't think I'd go with flat cardboard for the mask-- Personally, I'd probably do a portion of a balloon-papier-mache sphere, taped to a cardboard cylinder. But I don't know what your skills are in that regard.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

You might want to use a commercial skeleton costume as the base, with the robe, belt, amulet, and crown added on top of it. Said commercial costume will probably already have the mask.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    For any exposed bony bits, use glow-in-the-dark paint. It's not strictly accurate, but it is cool, especially for a six-year-old. And I believe the standard "skeleton" costume is a black shirt with the bones painted on in glow-in-the-dark paint.
    Hmm. I did wonder if white paint would work. It's not actually dark at all when the trick-or-treaters come around here - it's mostly young kids in this area, and it's late spring here so it's light until 8pm. I planned a backlit skeleton for my front door a few years ago and found it wasn't anywhere near dark enough (I can draw a decently anatomically correct skeleton). But white body paint might do?

You could also wire up a pair of red LEDs in the eye sockets.
    That sounds really cool, but it would be right in her eyes, wouldn't it? I'd prefer her to be able to see.

I don't think I'd go with flat cardboard for the mask-- Personally, I'd probably do a portion of a balloon-papier-mache sphere, taped to a cardboard cylinder. But I don't know what your skills are in that regard.
    I've done ... umm ... one papier mache in my life. I was actually thinking 2D to match the cheesiness of the comic - cartoon-outline style, with about zero realism. But I'll think about it. And hey, I have several months for it to cure dry, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    You might want to use a commercial skeleton costume as the base, with the robe, belt, amulet, and crown added on top of it. Said commercial costume will probably already have the mask.
    Amulet - do you mean the phylactery? I forgot about that. (Thought you meant the Dorukan and Lirian bauble for a minute, but that's a diadem worn on head, right?) I actually have a (very poor-quality cheap plastic) skull mask, but it's waay too big. Time to see if i can find a skeleton costume for a 1.1m tall child...

Edit: Little one likes the body paint idea. I showed her pictures of white body paint skeleton hands, but she said "but like Xykon". So white stick figure hands with black outlines, probably :)
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2020-07-15 at 05:14 AM.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Amulet - do you mean the phylactery? I forgot about that. (Thought you meant the Dorukan and Lirian bauble for a minute, but that's a diadem worn on head, right?) I actually have a (very poor-quality cheap plastic) skull mask, but it's waay too big. Time to see if i can find a skeleton costume for a 1.1m tall child...
    I mean the necklaces Redcloak used to tell Xykon apart from his fakes in the battle for Azure city, mostly because the costume could use something to break it up at about neck/chest height.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, I cosplayed as Xykon for a few cons. Here's what I used:

Sewn together blue ropes - Super easy, there's a billion patterns for wizard esq robes
    Rubber skull mask - Pretty sure the one I used was this one
    Clip On Crown - You can find these at party city for super cheap. It's a little plastic crown with two hairclips on the end. Cut two holes on the rubber mask, and it should be easy to clip on the crown. You can use glue if needs be
    Thick Yellow Rope - Probably find this at hobby lobby, Joann's, Michael's or what have you to act as his yellow belt thing. Super easy with this one, just measure out a section equal to like one or two feet more than what your little one's waist is, tie it in a knot, and you've got the effect
    Skeleton sleeves - I actually stole them from my theatre department (I say stole, I more just asked them if I could keep the pair and they were like "sure"), so I actually don't know what place sells them. Party city maybe? If not let's see what a google search result looks like

EDIT: I FORGOT THE COOL CAPE I just sewed that together with the robes ain't nothing to it. For the brooch I went with a Celtic design I found off etsy, but that was for personal and obvious reasons
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2020-08-05 at 08:40 PM.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Ah, I cosplayed as Xykon for a few cons. Here's what I used:

Sewn together blue ropes - Super easy, there's a billion patterns for wizard esq robes
    Rubber skull mask - Pretty sure the one I used was this one
    Clip On Crown - You can find these at party city for super cheap. It's a little plastic crown with two hairclips on the end. Cut two holes on the rubber mask, and it should be easy to clip on the crown. You can use glue if needs be
    Thick Yellow Rope - Probably find this at hobby lobby, Joann's, Michael's or what have you to act as his yellow belt thing. Super easy with this one, just measure out a section equal to like one or two feet more than what your little one's waist is, tie it in a knot, and you've got the effect
    Skeleton sleeves - I actually stole them from my theatre department (I say stole, I more just asked them if I could keep the pair and they were like "sure"), so I actually don't know what place sells them. Party city maybe? If not let's see what a google search result looks like

EDIT: I FORGOT THE COOL CAPE I just sewed that together with the robes ain't nothing to it. For the brooch I went with a Celtic design I found off etsy, but that was for personal and obvious reasons
    Thanks! This gave me the kick I needed to actually find instructions for a (really) simple robe. Skeleton gloves look interesting, but the google search for children's sizes came up zero. I still think we'll go with the three-fingered cartoon look for the hands, though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks! This gave me the kick I needed to actually find instructions for a (really) simple robe. Skeleton gloves look interesting, but the google search for children's sizes came up zero. I still think we'll go with the three-fingered cartoon look for the hands, though.
    Happy to be of service, and yeah I tried to look for kid size gloves and came up zilch too. I'm sure the little one will look maniacal nonetheless however ^^
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Raise thread!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #10

Thanks Peelee!

I should have posted a photo of the rope my mother gave me, as soon as I got it - then my thread wouldn't have died! But now I remember why I didn't, I have to sort out image hosting again...

Anyway, I finally got organised and went fabric shopping on Saturday. Will post the images as soon as I have that worked out!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Thanks Peelee!
    One day, far in the future, I may even come up with another joke to use when I do that.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #12

Materials!

My mum just happened to have a yellow rope lying around. The rest I bought on Saturday.

Skeleton mask:

Tomorrow (or really today, urgh) is ironing day. Plan is to make a robe using this pattern, lined because I'm hopelessly optimistic about how much hand sewing I can get done in a week, and she can wear it back to front for this costume. And then rig up some kind of cloak from the red. Black satin is for the gloves and maybe leggings, and I'll tack on some white (bandage?) to be the cartoon bones.

Wish me luck lots of concentration...!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Isn't there already childrens skeleton costumes?

Like a black bodysuit with painted on bones, which if you squint in the dark might almost look like a skeleton.

I swear local toy catalogue is filled with them now for Halloween, that we do not actually celebrate, as it's not an actual thing here.