New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Rereading The Death Gate Cycle chapter by chapter

I like the threads where people read through books and comment on them during it and decided to try it too. (Also I wanted to try reading a book I like slowly.) The death gate cycle is something I last read more than a decade ago and I want to know whether it holds up on an reread. Of course choosing an known series for something like this might be a bad choice. As much as I have forgotten I will remember the big things so I can't really speculate like you can with a fresh book. But I had nothing significant new I wanted to read so I will try it with this.

I will read it chapter wise (1 per day though I might adjust it if the chapters are too short I suppose) and anyone who wants to read the series themselves is of course welcome to comment with their own impressions. Since it is a reread I will separate chapter spoilers and place comments about the future in "future spoilers" spoiler.

As I said doing this with a reread might be a bad idea so maybe I will decide it was and just stop. Or decide it is too much work and I want to read faster and stop. (Or just realize that I suck at it and stop. Or realize nobody cares about the series but me and stop.^^) But I suppose we will see how it goes.

Spoiler: Prologue Book 1
    Show
    It Begins with a prologue without narration, only some unnamed person talking to Haplo (the MC). Which I will call Voice. We only hear Voice's side of the conversation, it is talking with Haplo before the later begins his journey.

I obviously remember who Voice is but here we only know that Haplo is "his emissary to an unsuspecting world". Sounds a bit omnious for that world doesn't it? Spoiler: they have run out of recruits in their world and now want to bring multi level marketing to a naive population.

Voice drinks some port with him, ask him whether he needs anything and expresses some envy. And of course reiterates that it is important to stay incognito, to not alert some ancient enemy of their escape from a prison. But Haplo also has to find said enemy.

Ah now the enemy is named when he toasts to them for making them what they are, the enemy are called the Sartan.

And let me quote something

"How old are you, Haplo. You have no idea?"

"I know - time has no meaning in the Labyrinth. Let me think. When I first saw you, you looked to be just over twenty-five years dears. A long life for those of the Labyrinth. A long life and one that had almost ended"

That tells us that their prison was called the Labyrinth and apparently rather deadly, which explains their light antipathy towards the Sartan.

We find out Voice was the first to escape and the scene of Haplo escaping half dead but looking triumphant reminded him of himself.

And the biggest part of the setting is revealed. The Sartan sundered the world and threw MCs people in the Labyrinth to defeat their ambition. And it took them centuries to get out. Also the Sartan left some books indicating they hoped their "bounding ambition and our cruel and selfish nature would be softened by time and suffering." But something went wrong and the Sartan did not monitor the Labyrinth and it gained a life of its own and tried to kill its prisoners.

Outside the labyrinth is the Nexus, a beautiful place left for the MCs people. (And I hope the name for those people is used soon so that I can use it without it being a minor spoiler.) The nexus comes with loads of books and the Voice taught itself to read them.

Presumably Voice knows from those books that there are at least 4 realms now. (Beside the Nexus) Which are four element themed: Fire, water, stone and sky. And Voice wants to make them one world again. And you can travel there through the thing that gives the series its title: the death gate.

Why someone would give a gate for travel such ominous name I do not know.

Regardless the realm of sky is the first goal. To study it, get to know its people, find their strength and weaknesses and to cause chaos.

Also to find someone in the realm to serve as Voices disciple. Someone intelligent, but pliable.

Spoiler: Prologue - future spoilers
    Show
    Ah I am unsure why they choose to make it a monologue of the leader of the Patryn (Xar if i remember correctly), but it worked for getting me in the mood for the books again. Also I completely forgot about that disciple thing but now I remember that brat he finds.

As for the sky world. I remember Haplo crash landing (because maelstrom) with some dwarves, landmasses flying in the air on different heights (the dwarves at the bottom and I think the elves were ***** toward them). Airships, some assassin named Hughs and of course dear accident prone Alfred.

Honestly doing this for a reread really might be a mistake, this would be great food for speculation if I didn't remember too much. Well the prologue is rather short so I will read chapter 1 too.

Spoiler: Chapter 1 book 1
    Show
    "Hey, you finally awake." Is not how the chapter starts but it jumps to some prisoner, in a cart pulled by a tier (which sounds silly to me because it is the german word for animal). A tier is apparently a giant bird.

The character is being transported from a prison to a city complete with multiple guards and a crowd following them. The guy is apparently really scary to people even bound to a cart with chains and with bowman observing him. Though it gets rowdier when the crowd grows and some people throw things. Till they get scared off by people flying dragons. Just small ones though.

The guard captain on the dragon has just come to bring "Hugh the Hand" to his execution though. For killing his liege which Hugh denies.

Said liege lord is on a pyre in the fortress they are travelling to. His favorite dragon is supposed to be killed with him to serve him in his afterlife. And it seems they want to add the head of his killer too before burning the pyre..

Knight captain and Hugh apparently have a back story with him paying Hugh to avenge his daughters death.

Well this chapter we get some info about the realm of sky. We see some humans, hear about some elves, see they use giant birds as beasts of burden and some ride small dragons. Also we get introduced to an assassin named Hugh in a rather precarious situation.

Spoiler: Chapter 1 book 1 future spoilers
    Show
    Of course Hugh survives, what would be the point of introducing him otherwise. It will take a while before he encounters Haplo, honestly I can't remember when exactly. But he has a significant role in the first book and when the realm is revisited in a later book (and iirc his role extends beyond this realm later in the series.) He does encounter the second most important character of the Series sooner though.

Not much to say yet otherwise.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Rereading The Death Gate Cycle chapter by chapter

I remember being confused the first time I read these because it took me a while to figure out that the character in the prologue was different from the character in chapter 1.

Looking forward to seeing your reactions. I might try to read along if I can track them down.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Honestly,

I've been in the same boat with these let's reads, but all the books I own I've read so many times that I basically have them memorized. The Death Gate Cycle is probably my second favorite series.

Spoiler
    Show
    I love the series because of its focus on teaching a strong character humility, and that stronger (especially in one aspect) does not necessarily mean better, more valuable, or more importent. It really spoke to me as a child, and opened the door to make friends with others, rather then holding myself off, arrogant and aloof.
    Last edited by Sivarias; 2020-07-14 at 03:33 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

I very rarely reread anything and just read new stuff instead and I do have new stuff to read now too but just nothing special at the moment. (I guess from the ones on my list The Girl with no face could be interesting to do but it is the second book so I could hardly start there. Hmm looking I guess I haven't read skyward from Sanderson yet. Should I like doing this I might do that one in the far future.^^ Well realistically if I finish this I will have an entirely different to read list by then.)

I remember being confused the first time I read these because it took me a while to figure out that the character in the prologue was different from the character in chapter 1.
    Heh I can see how that would be really confusing.

Hmm I am currently considering whether I should just do one scene at a time because chapter 1 basically ends in the middle of one, but some scenes are likely rather long. I guess I will just try chapter wise first.

Edit:since it is halfway down the page and mine is the last past so I edit instead of post, nobody is probably reading updates so I might as well finish my current book first before continuing with this

Edit: New day, new chapter
    Spoiler: chapter 2 book 1
    Show
    The guard captains current superion appears to be a wizard a "land magus" more specifically which is marked by color coded clothing. But not a "royal magus" because the Lord never granted him that title although the wizard wanted it.

He ungags Hugh (who has been gagged at the end of last chapter) and asks some question like what his real name is, but Hugh isn't feeling talkative and just spits some blood. He suspects Hugh of having some noble heritage (and talks about his facial bone structure), apparently knowing the name of his ancestors is also relevant to commending Hughs spirit to them. Also he asks him to confess

Hugh decides to talk and says the Wizard knows better than anyone Hughs didn't kill the lord. The Guard captain sees the Wizards fleeting reaction. Hugh also mentions the wizard is now the guardian of the new young lord. (pretty stupid to let Hughs speak at all) So a mysterious minor quake happens that the land mage says is the ground quaking in fury at Hughs blasphemy.

Guard captain is clearly suspicious but doesn't do anything at this point.

And now it is time for the execution. The block is prepared and Three chop Nick is getting ready who the audience like to watch because he is either incompetent or a showman and his victims suffer.

Guard captain believes Hugh about the Wizard but says all he can do is make his death quick (though that will cost him his post.)

Hugh decides to go while starring at the wizard and when Nick gets ready of course there is some commotion at the gate

Ah whatever I will do the next chapter too waiting another day for this part to be done would be silly.
    Spoiler: chapter 3 book 1
    Show
    "A gigantic shape, blacker than the Lords of Night, appeared above the keep's towers."
    An alarm is sounded and people have been expecting an retilatory raid by Tribus corsairs anyway after an Elf Lord got abducted and killed for supposedly paying Hugh to kill the lord.

The Magicka wants Nick to get on with the execution anyway, but Nick likes having an audience and doesn't

But it is a real (battle) dragon so one of their not an elf ship. So I guess humans use dragons elves ships.

And men with the insignia of the King's Own drop down, seems Hughs rescue comes from the top. And on a smaller Dragon lands the king's Courier. Will it be a war declaration against Tribus? - Everybody think because they don't know this scene is about Hugh. But no he demands Hugh alive!

Wizard doesn't like it and his knights look to him. Apparently kings are fairly new in Volkaran which started as a penal colony. Which for a long time just had various clan lords,which were divided and easy prey for the elves from Tribus. They were elf ruled for a while until the marriage of two strong leaders united the humans, pushed the elves out and killed their dangerous rivals of. Also they are rumored to be plotting against each other now. (The leaders are Stephen and Anne, suppose I should use the names now.)

Alas the wizard ignoring the command is hard with a battle dragon around. And supposedly the King needs Hugh for questioning about some conspiracy. "Everybody knows that this assassin had dealings with the elflords of Tribus." the courier says while looking directly in the magicka's eyes. Guess the King has a good information network.

Of course since the wizard now knows the King knows he has to fold after having a look at the warrant.

The courier also demands a dragon which gives the stable master the chance to save the Lord's favorite dragon from dying with the lord. Apparently the King and Queen have given themselves strong powers to let some of their people commandeer stuff in the name of King's business and they don't tend to give it back after.

Hugh gets unbound, a new cloak for the cold wind and rides the small dragon with the courier.

After Hugh is whiskey away the pyre gets lit and the guard captains muses that if he ever sees Hugh agains, Hugh will get a chance to kill his first wizard and if not the Guard captain is old and has nothing left to life for anyway.

But I should mention the one victim this chapter claims "Forgotten, an artist bereft of his art, hree-Chop Nich sat disconsolately upon the block.", tragic.

Spoiler: chapter 3 book 1 future spoilers
    Show
    Did we ever see the guard captain again after this? can't remember. I remember who the King tells Hugh to kill, but not why. I suppose we should meet Alfred and the kid soon if it doesn't scene changes to Haplo first.

Edit: Another new day
    Spoiler: chapter 4 book 1
    Show
    Some world building at the beginning of the flight where only the far off locations are likely to be relevant later. First the lords of night, three islands flying very high and creating somewhat of a day/night rhythm by blocking the sun every 12 hours. And below the High Realm where supposedly strong human wizards, the mysteriarchs live in a kind of self exile. The name is a bit on the nose. And below them the firmament which some believe are precious stones. But neither dragons nor airships fly that high.

The courier is not what he seems, the first sign for which is a sudden convenient fog when he notices Hugh studying their flight route. And from his thoughts we get the tidbit that an internal rebellion might be helping with keeping the elves away. Apparently stirred up by the humans, which is why according to the courier the king expects them to destroy humans this time after crushing the revolution.

In the end they land somewhere unknown to Hugh and Hugh apparently knows the continent and the isles well.

Ah interesting tidbit dragons are controlled with submission and obedience spells which sometimes break while they sleep. Which is why competent riders only let them sleep when a wizard is nearby. The courier lets his dragon sleep. (But I think for most readers the fog thing already made it clear.)

They have landed beside an abandoned monastry and Hugh apparently has negative childhood memories about such places. And thought he knew the location of all Kir monasteries on the isles, but never heard of one being abandoned.

And he gets brought to a room where the King hides (by which I mean hides in the shadows of the room to be clear, maybe he wanted to see whether Hugh would notice him which of course he does. And recognizes him too despite him having chainmail even over his face which sounds uncomfortable.) They talk a bit (among other things about how Hugh would have reacted if the King was an attacker, which involves hugh pointing out that gap in his armor under his armpit.)

And Hugh thinks the King is making up his mind for murder. They chat a bit about Hugh being the best in the Kingdom and specializing in retribution (which apparently people pay better for) and accepting custom wishes like him killing people in a duel. (Hugh thinks the King is just building up the nerve to hire him.) Anyway there are some threats from the kings side (via an executioner being visible from the window), Hugh declaring he doesn't value his life that much and starting to leave the room (also comments about how dangerous the job has to be if it is given like this), then the "courier", Trian offers him lots of money (after it is done but Hugh successfully insist on half now.)

Side note "He's a courier? And I'm a Sartan", first Sartan mention.

And the victim is *drumroll* the kings son. Spicy.

The chapter has plenty other setting details and non verbal interaction between Hugh and courier but doesn't make much sense to summarize all details. Anyway here starts one of the major subplots.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2020-07-18 at 03:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I think the coolest part of the series for me is the whole, wave of correction story, and the most overpowered magic people being the Sartan and Patryn. So the wave(s) correct that on Celstra by robbing them of magic.

It is the Wave that creates the future, and thereby removes possibilities.
    Last edited by Sivarias; 2020-07-31 at 06:34 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Spoiler: @sivarias
    Show
    I had honestly completely forgotten about that, now that you mention it I have some vague memories. But yeah that is some unfortunate balancing for Sartan.^^

Spoiler: chapter 5 book 1
    Show
    Hugh of course had already expected it to be someone close to the King though he expects the son to be around 18 and we find out it is a little child instead.

The King told his son he is in danger and Hugh a nobleman in disguise bringing him to a hiding space. (The nobleman role is part of why Hugh was chosen because he has the right heritage and they seem to consider the air of nobility a matter of birth.)

Btw Hugh really can't help himself in regards to messing with the king a bit who seems pretty conflicted by the assassination order. And Trian (the king's magus who was moonlighting as the courier) soon takes over from the King.

We learn some backstory for Hugh: Noble father casts his mother out into the streets who dies during an elf attack leading to Hugh growing up in an Kir temple. And we get a flashback where 9 year old Hugh gets into trouble for taking care of a sick friend because the Kir monks are death worshipping weirdos. "Die? Of course he will die! It is his privilege to die an innocent child and escape the evil to which manking is heir. The evil which daily must be scourged from our weak shells. [...]Pray that your sin in attempting to twart the ancestor's will by performing the unnatural act of healing be forgiven you. Pray for death-" Well Hugh tells him he will pray for the Monks death so Hugh gets beat up with a staff. Charming people these Kir monks.

And we find out Hughs found and killed his father, his father attacked first but the kill was deliberate. Which discomfits Trian a bit and he gets back to business the child is supposed to die fast and without pain.

The chapter ends with Hugh seeing the prince and figuring out the age. He makes a dark face but indicates that it doesn't bother him he just wants a pipe since his got confiscated. Honestly I can't remember whether it does actually bother him.

Spoiler: chapter 5 book 1 future spoilers
    Show
    Though I believe the prince got some magic from his true father (on of the mages living on the highest island iirc) that helps him to charm people so that should cause some hesitance unless my memories just made that up. Not that Hugh could stand against the princes other companion anyway Alfred is far too powerful! Or would be without the clumsiness and fainting.

Spoiler: chapter 6
    Show
    Hugh says he isn't bothered by killing a child but just by him misjudging the situation because that can be costly. (Though he does remember the "It is his privilege to die an innocent child and escape the evil to which manking is heir. " line againj) And Trian lets slip that what the boy has done is being born but refuses to say more.

Oh money is called barl pieces and a water barrel is stamped on it, because water is a precious commodity and the coins can be exchanged for it. Though most trade goes over barter.

There is lots of water in the low realm as well as a perpetual storm called the maelstrom. But Dragons aren't willing to fly into the storm. Elf ships however can, and they sell it for very high prices so humans are a bit reliant on raiding their ships and water storage ports. Sounds like a rather big elf advantage.

Btw I like the setting with the whole floating island thing it is non standard and each of the other realms has a different setup.

And apparently Hugh is politically pretty uninformed because it doesn't matter to his job, which surprises wizard guy. Who deigns to give a reason for the kill now. Apparently queen Anna wants to consolidate power in her person and since she can't inherit the crown of volkaran directly (cause female) a male heir is necessary. And somebody tried to remove the king.

But once the realm is united by war against the elves the king will divorce and marry an woman of Volkaran. And the war will hold it together. And the princes death will start the war!

The princes body has to be found after news about him being kidnapped by elves goes out and Hugh also happens to have an elves dragonship. (Leading Hugh to conclude that framing him for the murder was part of the plan. The wizard admits to the framing but they didn't do the killing.)

“You let me lay my head on the blood-slimed stone, let me see that maniac standing above me with his dull sword. And then you save my life and think that fear alone will buy me.”
    “It would have another man. With you, I had my doubts and-as you may have gathered-I had already expressed them to Stephen.”

Hugh points out that that would be really stupid for the elves to do because they don't need another war at that time. Wizard guy comments on him knowing more about the elves than his own people but well Hugh ddoes need someone for ship upkeep.

Of course the obvious question gets asked:“Speaking of business, how will I contact you for the rest of my pay, and what assurance do I have that I’ll find it and not a feathered shaft in my ribs when I return?”
    “You have our word, the word of a king. As for the feathered shaft”-now it was Trian who experienced satisfaction-“I assume you can take care of yourself.”
    “I can,” said Hugh. “Remember that.”

And Hugh refuses a lift directly to his ship but they don't want to let him know his current location either so he lets them drop him on the right isle.

And Hugh really seems to make a hobby of making the wizard squeam I wonder whether he does that with all clients or only those that put him on an executioner block:

“To indicate the job is done. An ear? A finger? What?”
    “Blessed ancestors forfend!” The young wizard was deathly white. He swayed unsteadily on his feet and was forced to lean against a wall to retain his balance. And so he did not see Hugh’s lips tighten in a grim smile, the assassin’s head incline ever so slightly, as if he’d just received an answer to a very important question.
    The token to prove the deed is a magic amulet the kid has since it can only be removed after death. Though the wizard doesn't tell him more about the amulets magic. (Also Hugh doesn't believe it actually came from one of the legendary mysteriarchs.)

Then Hugh goes to meet the kid, the wizard doesn't introduce him but avoids even looking into the room before leaving .

We hear more about the Kir monks too, they worship death but are at least useful in taking care of all corpses including plague victims. And adopt male orphans into their order producing more death worshipers. Also apparently good prep for an assassin:
    Some of the children, like Hugh, ran away, but even he had not been able to escape the shadow of the black hoods under whose tutelage he had been reared.
    Consequently, when the Hand gazed down at the sleeping face of the young child, he felt no pity, no outrage. Murdering this boy was just another job to him, and one that was likely to prove more difficult and dangerous than most. Hugh knew the wizard had been lying. Now he only had to figure out why.
    Hugh walks the kid up, there is some talking an prince bane is a bit surprised that Hugh has to ask his name (hugh says he was out of country for years but maybe he should have asked the wizard, that is a bit suspicious.)

“We must be going, Your Highness,” he said again, nodding toward the door.
    Bane lifted his cloak from the floor and threw it clumsily over his shoulders, fumbling at the strings that fastened it around his neck. Impatient to be gone, Hugh tossed the packs back to the ground, knelt, and tied the strings of the cloak.
    To his astonishment, the prince flung his arms around his neck.
    “I’m glad you’re my guardian,” he said, clinging to him, his soft cheek pressed against Hugh’s.
    The Hand held rigid, unmoving. Bane slipped away from him. “I’m ready,” he announced in eager excitement. “Are we going by dragon? Tonight was the first time I’d ever ridden one. ‘ I suppose you must ride them all the time.”
    “Yes,” Hugh managed to say. “There’s a dragon in the courtyard.” He lifted the two packs and the lamp. “If Your Highness will follow me - “
    “I know the way,” said the prince, skipping out of the room.
    Hugh followed after him, the touch of the boy’s hands soft and warm against his skin.
    Yeah I don't trust that child too happy while on the run!

Spoiler: chapter 6 future spoilers
    Show
    Iirc the King and queen are a happy couple and the supposed enmity is just to trick people.

I wonder whether when I read it the first time I noticed the potential importance of these lines:

“The prince wears”-Trian gulped and then, suddenly, seemed to find some inner reserve of strength-“the prince wears an amulet, the feather of a hawk. It was given him when he was a babe by a mysteriarch from the High Realm. Due to its magical properties, the amulet cannot be removed unless the prince is”- here Trian faltered once again-“dead.” He drew a deep, shivering breath. “Send us this amulet, and we will know …” His voice trailed off.

It is a pretty big hint after all.

These chapters are inconveniently short.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2020-08-04 at 06:41 AM.