New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sermil and the Banter of Randomness: Random Banter #228

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I really don't understand why some people comment on these nasty insults and name-calling. Like if you really don't like my video then don't watch it then. I don't go to their channel and say nasty things on your video and I bet that none of these morons don't have any videos at all. I'm just so sick and tired of these trolls attacking me on my videos.
    Have you considered the possibility that they might not be trolls, but instead might just be bad people?

Okay, to be more serious, a lot of it has to do with the idea that if you shout lots enough people will have to respond to you. If you spend a lot of time on YT posting in comments and getting ignored you might stay to become a little bit cheesed off by it, and so start yelling for attention. Literally the best way to deal with it is to not respond, because sadly there is almost certainly somebody else who will and then people will leave you alone in favour of those who respond.

On the other hand, sometimes people are just jerks. I unsubscribed from a channel recently because they began [removed because of questionable topic]. Some people just have a viewpoint that others aren't worthy of respect for no actual reason and as such move to treat them like dirt. [Also removed].
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2020-09-27 at 07:21 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Colossus in the Playground

I have once been told that I'm wrong for thinking that someone who wants to be "cured" of a condition that either 1: Makes them slightly different from normal humans in a way that is only cosmetic, not better or worse than the average, or 2: actively gives them superhuman attributes or otherwise is mostly beneficial to them, while people who do suffer problems related to the condition tend to only have the problems becuase of outside factors(such as brain damage or someone else being a prick) and that can easily be managed(such as by wearing thin gloves) and eventually treated(IE, longer needing to "manage" it becuase the problems went away) with a treatment that implicitly or explicitly causes severe brain damage is mentally ill and that in general a drug that's designed to "cure" a condition that for the most part just makes you "different in a way that doesn't hurt anyone" is inherently offensive if referred to as a cure.

I was also told that thinking that makes me as bad as that militant "deaf pride" movement that thinks not being able to hear makes you superior to everyone, that curing deafness is genocide, and that it's okay to refuse to let your children get treatments to restore their hearing.

Becuase refusing to be cured of a legitimate disability out of misplaced feelings of superiority is exactly the same as not wanting to deliberately inflict severe brain damage on yourself to get rid of legitimate superpowers.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Have you considered the possibility that they might not be trolls, but instead might just be bad people?

Okay, to be more serious, a lot of it has to do with the idea that if you shout lots enough people will have to respond to you. If you spend a lot of time on YT posting in comments and getting ignored you might stay to become a little bit cheesed off by it, and so start yelling for attention. Literally, the best way to deal with it is to not respond, because sadly there is almost certainly somebody else who will, and then people will leave you alone in favor of those who respond.

On the other hand, sometimes people are just jerks. I unsubscribed from a channel recently because they began [removed because of questionable topic]. Some people just have a viewpoint that others aren't worthy of respect for no actual reason and as such move to treat them like dirt. [Also removed].
    Well of course they're bad people. I just block them off from my channel. I deal with these kinds of people every day on Youtube.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

4. - Top - End - #1234

It is my sincerest wish that more people knew the difference between "fish and chips" and "storebought fish sticks and french fries."

Long John Silvers should not be the best place to get a fried filleted cod with french-fried potatoes in the whole damn city.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It is my sincerest wish that more people knew the difference between "fish and chips" and "storebought fish sticks and french fries."

Long John Silvers should not be the best place to get a fried filleted cod with french-fried potatoes in the whole damn city.
    I have had never been to Long John Silvers in my whole entire life so I really can't vouch for an opinion about it. Although I've been to Applebees which was more than a decade ago.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Titan in the Playground

I take it you're a horror novelist.

In all seriousness, if this is about restaurants/pubs/chippies serving such stuff, that's a bit surprising to me. Maybe it comes up from growing up in a country where all villages have a church, two football pitches, and a chippy, as well as having experience of making it myself*, but proper battered fish isn't exactly hard to make. Bulk buy some fish filets (I recommend haddock or plaice) from a reputable fishmonger (or buy fresh(ish) fish and fillet yourself), cover in flour and batter, cook until the batter is properly solid and then drain. If a place can't do it they'll very much not even offer it, and if somebody offers you fish and chips you'll be very much expecting them to call the chippy (most of the time, there are of course occasions where frozen battered fish are acceptible, and I'll try my darndest to cook for someone if it's not dyspraxia unfriendly).

Said fish should never be served with french fries, you want some good chunky chips properly deep fried and smothered in salt and vinegar. (Because to me 'french fries' are specifically the thin variety you'd get at a fast food place.)

* Like once because I try not to deep fry. People look at me weird for suggesting it's not hard but it's all in your oil temperature.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Why do many people call "Fish and Chips" since it's actually fish and French fries anyway?

8. - Top - End - #1238

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I take it you're a horror novelist.
    I don't get the reference.

It's just... every time I order fish and chips at a restaurant, or see anyone else order it, it's very clearly store-bought fish sticks.

But I can go to Long John's and get a whole case full of fried cod that's better than anything I've gotten from a real restaurant. And it's not bad fish by any means, I'm not complaining about Long John's, but...

Of course, I'm American, so most likely it's just that nobody around here gives a crap.
    Why do many people call "Fish and Chips" since it's actually fish and French fries anyway?
    For the same reason that pants means "trousers or slacks" in America but "underwear" in England: The Engish Language started deviating not long after British People stopped regularly y emigrating from the colonies so as the meanings of words changed over time and new words were adopted it happened differently on different continents.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2020-09-27 at 05:44 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I got 541 subscribers on my Youtube channel. I actually when from 513 to 541 subscribers last week and people are actually watching my videos. I wonder how did that happen all of a sudden?
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2020-09-27 at 05:46 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Troll in the Playground

You're scaring them with the concept of people not knowing the difference.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2020-09-27 at 05:51 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    You're scaring them with the concept of people not knowing the difference.
    I think I get the reference. Maybe it has something to do with food and horror.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Because those people are called "British", and they are correct calling fried potato sticks "chips".
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-09-27 at 06:05 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

*see previous comment about F&C not being served with french fries*

Okay, to be concise but informative, fish and chips is a dish invented in London, putting fried battered fish (first brought by immigrants) together with thick cut chips (first brought by immigrants, the US term is I believe 'steak fries'). Thus the UK name is fish and chips, which remained the same when it spread to the commonwealth, and so when it sarted being brought to other countries, like the US the people who brought it over knew it as 'fish and chips' and wrote that on the menu.

Of course, it wasn't elevated to it's true heights until the third element, mushy peas was added.

As the golden skinned ninja says.

It's just... every time I order fish and chips at a restaurant, or see anyone else order it, it's very clearly store-bought fish sticks.

But I can go to Long John's and get a whole case full of fried cod that's better than anything I've gotten from a real restaurant. And it's not bad fish by any means, I'm not complaining about Long John's, but...

Of course, I'm American, so most likely it's just that nobody around here gives a crap.
    And being British I think I live within walking distance of at least two chippies? Like, I totally get it, fish ans chips is not just fish served alongside chips. And people here very much do care, every Friday at work is fish and chips day, and battered fish is the one thing that never comes back.

It honestly mostly surprises me because if you can fry chips you can fry fish.

But as to why, I quickly looked the place up, and it's probably the closest thing to a chippy you have (despite being a chain, although we do have some chains over here). And I've literally only ever been tone resturant that did fish and chips as good as a chippy does, but it was basically the entire menu. But it's not a rwally chippy unless you can get your mushy peas and mint sauce.

For the same reason that pants means "trousers or slacks" in America but "underwear" in England: The Engish Language started deviating not long after British People stopped regularly y emigrating from the colonies so as the meanings of words changed over time and new words were adopted it happened differently on different continents.
    Little bit longer than that mate. Orwe'dstillbewritingsentenceswithoutaddingspacesbe tweenwords.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2020-09-27 at 06:10 PM.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Troll in the Playground

I believe the etymology goes something like:

French Fries: Comes from the term French cut. Also known as Julienning or allumette.
    Chips: From frying "chips" of potato.

Random trivia: Apparently New Zealand uses chips to mean both the US and Commonwealth definitions, but uses "hot chips" and "cold chips" when the distinction isn't obvious.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

15. - Top - End - #1245

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    I believe the etymology goes something like:

French Fries: Comes from the term French cut. Also known as Julienning or allumette.
    Chips: From frying "chips" of potato.

Random trivia: Apparently New Zealand uses chips to mean both the US and Commonwealth definitions, but uses "hot chips" and "cold chips" when the distinction isn't obvious.
    But... both are served hot...

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Hot crisps! It's the new beef sausages.

Show

17. - Top - End - #1247

Oooh, fancy Canada serving up PrIngles and Lay's hot.

18. - Top - End - #1248

I've never eaten chips... Which, in America are paper-thin slices of potatoes deep-fried to a crisp and either lightly salted or coated in some kind of flavoring, that were served hot,

I recently learned that Canada has "all-dressed" chips that are sweet, salty, and savory at once?

They're generally served either room temp or, if used with french onion dip, cooled by the dip.

...Is this gonna turn into an Abbot and Costello routine?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #1249

Okay I've unburied myself from all the justified dunking on me so I can explain that I completely misread Brioche's post and thought she was talking about french fries with both Fries and Chips.

Also yes Rater All Dressed chips exist and are fantastic. Likewise with ketchup chips.

Like all potato chips, they are not served hot like french fries. That was a Zodi Brand original Mistake(tm).

20. - Top - End - #1250

...Not gonna lie. Was hoping this was gonna turn into Who's On First.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #1251

Okay I've unburied myself from all the justified dunking on me so I can explain that I completely misread Brioche's post and thought she was talking about french fries with both Fries and Chips.
    That's ok. Your people made poutine, which is enough to forgive all manner of misunderstandings.

22. - Top - End - #1252

That's another thing I can't get.

I first had poutine from a food truck a couple of years ago, then they went out of business and no one else around here makes it. I've gotta make it myself like cave man and home-made fries never taste right.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #1253

...Not gonna lie. Was hoping this was gonna turn into Who's On First.
    I managed to clear my brain enough to stop this particular little gambit in the bud, unfortunately.

Maybe next time potato skins or cactus cut potatoes get brought up...

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That's ok. Your people made poutine, which is enough to forgive all manner of misunderstandings.
    All Dressed and Ketchup flavour chips are fantastic and you're missing out.

That's another thing I can't get.

I first had poutine from a food truck a couple of years ago, then they went out of business and no one else around here makes it. I've gotta make it myself like cave man and home-made fries never taste right.
    If you do end up making your own I recommend bacon bits.

24. - Top - End - #1254

If you do end up making your own I recommend bacon bits.
    Proof that Canada is America's little brother.

Deep-fried potatoes, gravy, cheese curds, and now bacon? You're a genius.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #1255

Proof that Canada is America's little brother.

Deep-fried potatoes, gravy, cheese curds, and now bacon? You're a genius.
    The actual typical recipe I hve with mine is roast beef (like the kind you get at Arbies) and sweet sauce to counteract the fact that I think gravy is just too strong for my tastes.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Troll in the Playground

My Zero Suit's been dispatched. Now to play the waiting game!
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

27. - Top - End - #1257

The actual typical recipe I hve with mine is roast beef (like the kind you get at Arbies) and sweet sauce to counteract the fact that I think gravy is just too strong for my tastes.
    God damn it now I'm craving Arbies.

Changing topics: Show of hands, if I, hypothetically speaking, were to find away to give people high end super-power packages, who would be willing to be generals in my army of world conquest.

Hypothetically? Just asking?
    Last edited by Rater202; 2020-09-28 at 08:55 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Titan in the Playground

If suits=0 surely delivery isn't an issue?

In all seriousness, cool, I hope it fits. I assume this'll let you interface with the armour?

I've personally been trying to work out ifI can get a cheapish Sixth Doctor cosplay anywhere, but looks like I'll have to relearn how to use a sewing machine.

Show

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Troll in the Playground

Oh nice! Unfortunately, the waiting game seems to make everything seem twice as long. (Or, wait, maybe that's the delivery service. I can never remember.)
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Spoiler: Chips
    Show

Show

Show

Show

Show

Spoiler: Fish and Chips
    Show

Spoiler: Corn Chips
    Show

Spoiler: Chups
    Show

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak