New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: Sermil and the Banter of Randomness: Random Banter #228

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Imperial and US Customary Units are great for engineering, is the thing.
    Meh. Conversion error from centimeter to millimeter is a decimal point. Conversion error from inches to [do you even have a smaller unit] involves fractions.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    [citation needed]
    Sure, just pick up a grade school math textbook and look in the section that explains division. 10 is divisible by 1, 2, 5 10. 12 is divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12. You do much woodworking? Fractions are going to be simpler. There's a reason I specified "in engineering".

And ya know, it's a funny thing. For every person that pushes back against "it's useful in specific circumstances", I see approximately zero people (rounded) that decide to argue for metric in timekeeping, which I must note is also not metric. It's not en vogue to argue that one as opposed to US Customary Units, though.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, just pick up a grade school math textbook and look in the section that explains division. 10 is divisible by 1, 2, 5 10. 12 is divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12. You do much woodworking? Fractions are going to be simpler. There's a reason I specified "in engineering".
    But the USC aren’t in base 12. They are not in any base at all that’s the issue* (12 inches make a foot, 3 feet make a yard, 1760 yards make a mile).

And ya know, it's a funny thing. For every person that pushes back against "it's useful in specific circumstances", I see approximately zero people (rounded) that decide to argue for metric in timekeeping, which I must note is also not metric. It's not en vogue to argue that one as opposed to US Customary Units, though.
    You do know that the second is a SI unit, right?

*that and there seems to be no relation between units of volume and‘ length which is baffling.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-07-30 at 09:21 AM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

If US Customary Units were entirely base 12, I feel like the argument would hold better. Going from an inch to a foot to a mile is not the same "magnitude conversion as a mm, cm, m, km conversion.

The value of SI is that all the units are inter related and defined based on universal prototypes (I believe the Kilogram was the last prototype to be surpassed).

Now the _ideal_ for me is if SI was in base 12 as well as introducing a base 12 number system. That way, we have the benefit of clean fractions and dozenal (as opposed to decimal) notation.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Also, you can still use the number 12 in base 10.

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be

6. - Top - End - #336

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    If US Customary Units were entirely base 12, I feel like the argument would hold better. Going from an inch to a foot to a mile is not the same "magnitude conversion as a mm, cm, m, km conversion.
    And if all engineering was done in all US Customary Units that would be a better point.

I'll cop to being a bit open-ended with "engineering," though. Woodworking, plumbing, the trades. It is a system that does have value in specific areas, just like how a system that has units in 60, 60, 24, 30 or 31 depending (and also 28 and sometimes 29), 12, and 365 has value in a specific area despite not being the same magnitude conversion as a mm, cm, m, km conversion.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-07-30 at 09:31 AM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

About the measure of time, I was going to say that the minute/hour/day system was used everywhere but O don’t actually know wether that’s true and a quick internet search found me nothing, so consider this an open question to the forum: are there places where the day isn’t divided into 24 hours of sixty minutes made of sixty seconds ?

Anyway since human relate to time with the passing of days and the passing of years and there are 365. 256363051 days in a year, we can’t come up with time system using a base that would be useful in day-to-day life.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Forget metric vs. Imperial, the real issue is that the US refuses to use Imperial properly. For example, a quart is 1.1365225 litres but 0.946352946 liters.

9. - Top - End - #339

Anyway since human relate to time with the passing of days and the passing of years and there are 365. 256363051 days in a year, we can’t come up with time system using a base that would be useful in day-to-day life.
    Yes, it's almost as if I'm explicitly arguing that a system has value because of its real-world use.
    Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Forget metric vs. Imperial, the real issue is that the US refuses to use Imperial properly. For example, a quart is 1.1365225 litres but 0.946352946 liters.
    And you British people refuse to speak French properly. Almost as if you're speaking a language that is not French.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Colossus in the Playground

...Are we really arguing Imperiaal vs Metric vs US?

That never ends well.

...I swear, when I take over the world and assimilate everything into a techno-organic collective consciousness we'll measure everything in CalvinBal units, which alternate between Base Potato ns Base Tater depending on what day it is in a Callender of 12 thirty day weeks and days that consist of 24 months. composes of sixty years each all adding up to a farthing. (seconds and minutes are abolished.)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #341

PirateCaptain

And you British people refuse to speak French properly. Almost as if you're speaking a language that is not French.
    The difference is that English does not sound exactly like French but with the words holding different meanings. US customary is equivalent to people going around saying "je suis un chien bleu" and then insisting it means "the weather in Malta is lovely".

12. - Top - End - #342

The difference is that English does not sound exactly like French but with the words holding different meanings. US customary is equivalent to people going around saying "je suis un chien bleu" and then insisting it means "the weather in Malta is lovely".
    Imean, if you really want, I can get into the better specifics, like how whenever I see my cousin from Tyrol put up something on social media and I toss it into Google Translate I get maybe 40% of it back in English, but that's not nearly as pithy.

Oh, and I even spelled it without the "I" as a gesture of goodwill to your English sensibilities.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-07-30 at 09:56 AM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, it's almost as if I'm explicitly arguing that a system has value because of its real-world use.
    Pretty sure that the utility gained by using a different system for the very specific tasks it is better at (which I am not convinced is true but willing to let slide for the sake of argument) is overshadowed by the utility lost when that system has to interact with the general system.

Another point, it’s not called « the metric system » it’s the « international system of units » because the point of it is too smooth communication, trade and exchange all over the globe by having everybody measure things in the same units. If every nation used its own units commerce and science would be a horrible mess.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-07-30 at 09:56 AM.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Oh, no, that's not an issue.
    I mean, it is an issue, but not an obstacle. You can attest for yourself that we already give charge to incompetent hacks who don't care about doing stupid mistakes like ignoring safeties or using the wrong unit, even if it kills people.
    And it'd be compounding that problem by adding another layer of potential failure on top of that, not replacing it.

15. - Top - End - #345

Another point, it’s not called « the metric system » it’s the « international system of units » because the point of it is too smooth communication, trade and exchange all over the globe by having everybody measure things in the same units. If every nation used its own units commerce and science would be a horrible mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    A metric system is a system of measurement that succeeded the decimalised system based on the metre introduced in France in the 1790s. The historical development of these systems culminated in the definition of the International System of Units (SI), under the oversight of an international standards body.
    Oh hey would ya look at that, SI is explicitly based on something called "the metric system." Who'da thunk it?

Imean, aside from the French.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Oh hey would ya look at that, SI is explicitly based on something called "the metric system." Who'da thunk it?

Imean, aside from the French.
    And USC is based on Imperial Units. What’s your point ?
    Forum Wisdom

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Imperial and US Customary Units are great for engineering, is the thing.
    And yet I've never met an engineer who likes them, mainly due to problems converting between units in the system. There's also a few unfortunate associations with having a stated preference for Imperial over here.

Don't forget their horrible spelling, can't even get centre right.

Or the micron, a unit that exists solely so Americans don't get confused between a thingy that I forget the name for and a micrometre
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #348

And USC is based on Imperial Units. What’s your point ?
    That'd be an excellent argument if I claimed something like "it's not called 'imperial units', it's called 'USC.'"

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

That'd be an excellent argument if I claimed something like "it's not called 'imperial units', it's called 'USC.'"
    But SI is not identical to the old French metric system, just like how USC are not identical to Imperial units. It is, I believe, much closer, but it's still not identical
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty sure that the utility gained by using a different system for the very specific tasks it is better at (which I am not convinced is true but willing to let slide for the sake of argument) is overshadowed by the utility lost when that system has to interact with the general system.
    If that was necessarily true, hardware abstraction layers wouldn't be nearly as popular as they are.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

21. - Top - End - #351

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    But SI is not identical to the old French metric system, just like how USC are not identical to Imperial units. It is, I believe, much closer, but it's still not identical
    Jeez, you guys and your "the point you are making should be clearly understandable but you are sacrificing pinpoint accuracy for pithiness and I won't have it!"-ness.

Yes, I'll cop to that. But when I say "the metric system" everyone knows exactly what to equate it to and that equation will be correct. There's no functional difference.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

A quart is 0, 25 L
    I still don’t see your point, they changed the name to better advertise its purpose, what’s the issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    If that was necessarily true, hardware abstraction layers wouldn't be nearly as popular as they are.
    That’s because computers don’t think like humans and humans are bad at thinking like computers.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

That’s because computers don’t think like humans and humans are bad at thinking like computers.
    00101010 011100110110001101101111011001100110011001110011 0110100101101110 011000100110100101101110011000010111001001111001 00101010

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    No; it's because specialized systems are better at what they're specialized for, and a top-level system tying specialized systems together is more efficient than a general system trying to do all those tasks itself. It's as true with hardware abstraction layers, as it is with division of labor, as it with organs in a body, as it is with organelles in a cell.

Conversely, using a specialized system adjacent to what it's specialized for may or may not be inefficient...which is where the weak engineering argument Peelee has made comes in. I mean, there are three teaspoons in a tablespoon, and measures of volume from tablespoon all the way up to gallon increase by a power of two; so a cup can also be evenly divided by 2, 3, or 4....Yet "there are sixteen teaspoons in a third of a cup" being true doesn't really seem like a feature, so much as happenstance; even before considering that the situation is better handled by a one-third-cup measuring cup regardless. So the "twelve inches in a foot is convenient because it can be cleanly divided by 2/3/4" thing doesn't feel particularly convincing.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm American, the imperial units are pretty awful IMO. I have to stop and think about how long a mile is in feet, how big an acre is, how many quarts in a galleon, etc.

How big is a table spoon? Why is a cup so small compared to glass sizes? Why do we have quarts and pints?

My brain goes: cup, gallon, inches, feet, estimate of a mile. I would prefer an easier system by far.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

Americans can American their measurements as much as they like...but I can't abide by measuring dry ingredients by volume (at least when they're more than a tablespoon).

Put them in oz. if you must, but what on Earth is a cup of flour!?
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

27. - Top - End - #357

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    Americans can American their measurements as much as they like...but I can't abide by measuring dry ingredients by volume (at least when they're more than a tablespoon).

About 236 cubic centimeters.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post

Meanwhile, in the converse situation I'd be like "Flour is supposed to warrant getting out a scale now?"

29. - Top - End - #359

Lizardfolk

Just gonna add, what was that one mars thing robot that blew up coz of converting imperial to metric? I heard it somewhere I think. Currently really tired and can't be bothered doing research though. I submit that to the court as a reason for why having two conflicting units of measurement is difficult, and since the majority of the world use metric, surely it is better for america to just assimilate with us like a good colony.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

30. - Top - End - #360

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Just gonna add, what was that one mars thing robot that blew up coz of converting imperial to metric? I heard it somewhere I think. Currently really tired and can't be bothered doing research though. I submit that to the court as a reason for why having two conflicting units of measurement is difficult, and since the majority of the world use metric, surely it is better for america to just assimilate with us like a good colony.
    It didn't get destroyed because some people worked in US Customary and some in metric. It got destroyed because that information was not conveyed. It was a communication issue more than anything. While I normally am all about changing the US over to metric, and it wouldn't have happened to start with if they had all used metric, communication is still important and it wasn't happening there, so I would prefer things like that get exposed in non-manned, non-essential missions than potentially more important or manned missions.