New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Sermil and the Banter of Randomness: Random Banter #228

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Quid=£

NWN is Neverwinter Nights, and I'm talking about the 2000s Bioware game (and Obsidian sequel). It's a D&D 3e based CRPG that came with the dev tools on the disc allowing you to make your own stories, and although I prefer the sequel the dev tools for the original are a little bit more stable.

RPG Maker is a series of JRPG toolkits that are relatively easy to learn. Basically, they're a series of programs for making games in the (16 bit) Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy style.

Basically what I'm saying is, have you considered, instead of just running the game by yourself, trying to make it into something somebody else can experience?
    Gee. I never thought about that. Maybe that's something that I'll look into.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #482
    Colossus in the Playground

Quid=£
    Aaah, I getcha. A quid is a pound! I... I think! I'm too stupid and tired to 100% get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Gee. I never thought about that. Maybe that's something that I'll look into.
    I do highly recommend it. You seem genuinely interested in sharing this thing you're making, use one of these devices to make it. And maybe also post it in the RPG area of the forum because that seems like where it would catch the attention or more people interested in looking at it.

3. - Top - End - #483

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Officially three, but as you point out the Brits are kind of two-faced on thé issue (and I don’t think anybody else uses quids, but I may be wrong). As is Canada, if what I am told is true. I suspect there’s a similar situation going on in a few countries but I have so far not been able to find a reliable source on official adoption of the S.I. vs everyday use over the globe.
    What we do in the UK is change all the (relatively) easy stuff--so it's been a requirement that food etc. is sold in metric measures since 1985 or thereabouts, which means milk is sold in litres and cheese in kilogrammes. Fuel is also sold in litres. However, anything that would cost a lot of money or has a potential to cause accidents is left well alone, so all the road signs and speed limits remain in Imperial measures*. Old farts like me still think of our height in feet and our weight in stone/pounds, but I imagine the younger generation are a bit more metric in that regard.

* The one exception to this are the small blue signs that tell you exactly where you are on a motorway, so you can guide the breakdown services to your location--these were introduced in the early 2000s and have always had the distances on them in kilometres.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    What we do in the UK is change all the (relatively) easy stuff--so it's been a requirement that food etc. is sold in metric measures since 1985 or thereabouts, which means milk is sold in litres and cheese in kilogrammes. Fuel is also sold in litres. However, anything that would cost a lot of money or has a potential to cause accidents is left well alone, so all the road signs and speed limits remain in Imperial measures*.
    See, my major issue with this is the same as in America; we should put all speed limit signs, distance signs, speedometers, etc. in both miles and kilometers. Then after a 30 or 40 years when most of the population has a good handle on both, replace all with kilometers, and bam, no hassle metric changeover. Frankly, the biggest impediment in the US would be interstate exit numbers, since those are based on mile markers.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Aaah, I getcha. A quid is a pound! I... I think! I'm too stupid and tired to 100% get it.

I do highly recommend it. You seem genuinely interested in sharing this thing you're making, use one of these devices to make it. And maybe also post it in the RPG area of the forum because that seems like where it would catch the attention or more people interested in looking at it.
    Gotcha. I'm on it.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Up to about two pounds/one kilo a week is what I heard as a safe limit, I'm trying to aim for about half that on average.

And yeah, I try not to move the scales much and if it looks suspicious nudge them a bit to see if it changed anything, but the only time I moved them this week is this morning to make sure it wasn't just that I'd knocked them about or the like.
    A pound of fat is roughly 3500 calories burned or absorbed. So if you lose 6lbs in a week you are losing 3K calories a day, implying you are either starving or excessively exercising. Either way it isn't sustainable, you can't walk 12 miles a day or not eat indefinitely. When you stop doing that you rebound, and then since you always lose some muscle while losing fat you will have a lower lean weight and higher body fat percentage. That's why 1-2 lbs a week is the "safe" amount, that's where you can lose it without losing a lot of muscle or doing a non-sustainable program.

The good news is you probably just lost a lot of water weight and 1-2lbs of fat. I know when I was losing lots of weight I would lose 5-6 lbs at a time, then climb slowly up and then back down as the water in my body went up and down. Even if morbidly obese (I was 400+ lbs when I started) the base metabolic rate isn't over 3000 calories, everyone needs 2,000 a day to get sufficient vitamins so with moderate exercise (10K steps) I was looking at losing 1885 calories a day or 3.6lbs a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    See, my major issue with this is the same as in America; we should put all speed limit signs, distance signs, speedometers, etc. in both miles and kilometers. Then after a 30 or 40 years when most of the population has a good handle on both, replace all with kilometers, and bam, no hassle metric changeover. Frankly, the biggest impediment in the US would be interstate exit numbers, since those are based on mile markers.
    Wait, exit numbers are from mile markers? I thought it was just sequential numbering – with letter suffixes for exits added between others after the fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #488

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Wait, exit numbers are from mile markers? I thought it was just sequential numbering – with letter suffixes for exits added between others after the fact.
    Yep. On I-65 in Alabama, for example, Exit 250 is right around mile marker 250, and since the interstate ends more or less at the coast, you can tell you're 250 miles from the ocean. Some exits are lettered because they're more than one within the same mile marker, so no sense adding numbers when that'd be inaccurate.

It's really helpful on long road trips when you're crossing multiple states - if you're passing through Kansas and the first exit you come across is Exit 450, for example, you can pretty quickly figure out how long you'll be driving in Kansas for. Road systems are generally really well engineered.

I have no idea how big Kansas is.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-10 at 10:35 AM.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    A pound of fat is roughly 3500 calories burned or absorbed. So if you lose 6lbs in a week you are losing 3K calories a day, implying you are either starving or excessively exercising. Either way it isn't sustainable, you can't walk 12 miles a day or not eat indefinitely. When you stop doing that you rebound, and then since you always lose some muscle while losing fat you will have a lower lean weight and higher body fat percentage. That's why 1-2 lbs a week is the "safe" amount, that's where you can lose it without losing a lot of muscle or doing a non-sustainable program.

The good news is you probably just lost a lot of water weight and 1-2lbs of fat. I know when I was losing lots of weight I would lose 5-6 lbs at a time, then climb slowly up and then back down as the water in my body went up and down. Even if morbidly obese (I was 400+ lbs when I started) the base metabolic rate isn't over 3000 calories, everyone needs 2,000 a day to get sufficient vitamins so with moderate exercise (10K steps) I was looking at losing 1885 calories a day or 3.6lbs a week.
    In the last twoish months I've lost about a stone, which includes two larger drops and several weeks where I've lost less than a pound or even put on. So yeah, it's a mixture of getting back into exercise (12k steps or a twenty minute run most days) and probably water weight loss. On average I'm at a healthy loss rate,It's just scary to do so much in one week.

For the record I'm currently at 276.5 pounds, and I'm looking to lose at least a hundrd pounds over the next year or two.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

In the last twoish months I've lost about a stone, which includes two larger drops and several weeks where I've lost less than a pound or even put on. So yeah, it's a mixture of getting back into exercise (12k steps or a twenty minute run most days) and probably water weight loss. On average I'm at a healthy loss rate,It's just scary to do so much in one week.

For the record I'm currently at 276.5 pounds, and I'm looking to lose at least a hundrd pounds over the next year or two.
    Sounds like a fun year! Like I said, I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are eating enough and drinking enough water. The run is about 377 calories, your basal metabolic rate is 2500 so if you eat 2K you should lose an average of 877 calories a day, or 1.75lbs a week. So as long as you don't do anything crazy like start skipping days to cut faster or try to run a marathon every day you should be fine. Its normal to see massive jumps and plateaus, the body has to go through all sorts of processes to shut down fat cells when they are empty that aren't going to be regular on the day to day. Swelling, dehydration, all sorts of stuff goes with weight loss. Don't sweat the day to day or week to week, focus on monthly averages.

Edit: Specifically in this case I would guess it has to do with your Glycogen stores. Glycogen is the intermediate step between glucose and body fat, short term storage for energy. It also uses a lot of water, so when you drain your glycogen you lose a lot of weight rapidly. This is why everyone who goes on low carb/keto immediately loses 10-15lbs, because their body stops making glycogen in ketosis. If you start walking and running regularly you will drain your glycogen reserves and lose a lot of weight from not needing the extra water, then when you eat some carbs you will suddenly be extremely thirsty as your body makes more glycogen.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2020-08-10 at 10:52 AM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Amusingly enough, I got it immediately. The Adventures of Tintin really helped solidify "quid" in my mind - specifically, the Thompson twins haggling over umbrellas.
    I can intellectually understand that, but the concept of getting a better understanding of British slang through Tintin feels weird to me at an instinctive level.

Edit: Also, they’re not twins.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-08-10 at 10:49 AM.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I have no idea how big Kansas is.
    It's about 82,000 square miles and roughly half as long (N/S) as it is wide (E/W). The exact dimensions are left as an exercise for the reader.

For comparisson, England is about 50,000 square miles and has 17.6(rec) times the population. The Midwest is weird. I mean, moreso than the rest of america.
    Last edited by SZbNAhL; 2020-08-10 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Capitalisation

13. - Top - End - #493

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    It's about 82,000 square miles and roughly half as long (N/S) as it is wide (E/W). The exact dimensions are left as an exercise for the reader.

For comparisson, England is about 50,000 square miles and has 17.6(rec) times the population. The Midwest is weird. I mean, moreso than the rest of america.
    It's not "weird" so much as it is "we started settling it like normal and by the time we got west of the Mississippi we realized, 'holy **** there's a lot of land,' and kind of calmed down afterwards". Population maps and even county maps are pretty cool if you look at them with that in mind.

ETA: Heck, even just state maps - you can see them just give up right after the Mississippi
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-10 at 10:59 AM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

It's not "weird" so much as it is "we started settling it like normal and by the time we got west of the Mississippi we realized, 'holy **** there's a lot of land,' and kind of calmed down afterwards". Population maps and even county maps are pretty cool if you look at them with that in mind.
    Do you have an explanation for why Texas looks like someone started by following a grid pattern but gave up halfway through?

Spoiler: Texas
    Show
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #495

Do you have an explanation for why Texas looks like someone started by following a grid pattern but gave up halfway through?

Show
    No, but I always think that's one of the more hilarious ones. Like, they tried for a bit and somewhere after the 80th said "ah screw it". Though realistically it's more likely that same thing but in reverse.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Show
    You have it backwards. Areas that look like gobbly-goop has people in them when they became counties. Areas that are squares were mostly empty and they imposed a grid pattern on them regardless of terrain or demographics.

The north western parts of Texas were part of Comancheria until the 1870s, the south eastern parts had European settlements for centuries by then.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2020-08-10 at 11:04 AM.

17. - Top - End - #497

You have it backwards. Areas that look like gobbly-goop has people in them when they became counties. Areas that are squares were mostly empty and they imposed a grid pattern on them regardless of terrain or demographics.
    Called it!
    Edit: Also, they’re not twins.
    Yeah, they're not actually twins, but it's not uncommon to refer to them as the Thompson Twins. A band even did it.

18. - Top - End - #498

Show
    That's on Mexico. Texas was there's first.

Then the Mexican government agreed to let American Farmers work the land in Teas if they were catholic and gave up their slaves, southern slave owners did exactly as southern slave owners were expected to do, they took over Texas, Texas declared independence, messed it up, petitioned to join the US, and a bunch of people who didn't realize that, uh, hey, we kind of started that fight showed up to help Texas beat up Mexico.

I was born in Texas. I'm proud of my Texas roots and I have nothing but respect for the Heroes of the Alamo, who died thinking that they were protecting people's freedom... But everyone forgets that we were the bad guys in that War. We started that.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Called it!

Yeah, they're not actually twins, but it's not uncommon to refer to them as the Thompson Twins. A band even did it.
    Hey! Don’t you nitpick my nitpicking!
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    That's on Mexico. Texas was there's first.

Then the Mexican government agreed to let American Farmers work the land in Teas if they were catholic and gave up their slaves, southern slave owners did exactly as southern slave owners were expected to do, they took over Texas, Texas declared independence, messed it up, petitioned to join the US, and a bunch of people who didn't realize that, uh, hey, we kind of started that fight showed up to help Texas beat up Mexico.

I was born in Texas. I'm proud of my Texas roots and I have nothing but respect for the Heroes of the Alamo, who died thinking that they were protecting people's freedom... But everyone forgets that we were the bad guys in that War. We started that.
    I highly suggest Comanche Empire, it helps to debunk the Eurocentric version of events.

21. - Top - End - #501

Hey! Don’t you nitpick my nitpicking!
    How many nits would a nitpick pick if a nit pick could pick nits?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-10 at 11:13 AM.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

I highly suggest Comanche Empire, it helps to debunk the Eurocentric version of events.
    Europe got involved in that war?
    How many nits would a nitpick pick if a nit pick could pick nits?
    Nit that many.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

*Western Nation States Centered*

Apropos of nothing: I hate Mondays. I got up, was out of ice and almond milk so I had to drink hot black coffee, rode my bike to the gym, did my workout, came back, ate breakfast, took my pills and am on work hours but I feel lethargic and exhausted. Why are Mondays so hard??

24. - Top - End - #504

Depends on how loosely you wish to define "Europe."
    Spoiler: Or an alternate explanation
    Show

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on how loosely you wish to define "Europe."
    Spoiler: Or an alternate explanation
    Show
    Despite how poorly defined (and hotly debated) this subject can be, I have yet to find any definition that includes the Americas.

Edit: also where’d the gun go?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-08-10 at 11:29 AM.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Despite how poorly defined (and hotly debated) this subject can be, I have yet to find any definition that includes the Americas.
    I already asterisked in what I meant by that, there isn't a lot further we can talk about on the subject.

27. - Top - End - #507

Then you're not going far enough back in time.
    Edit: also where’d the gun go?
    Euope has fewer guns, obviously.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

I already asterisked in what I meant by that, there isn't a lot further we can talk about on the subject.
    Astérix? But we were talking about Tintin!
    Then you're not going far enough back in time.
    Come now, we’ve never considered the loot piles colonies to be part of Europe.

Euope has fewer guns, obviously.
    Never been to Switzerland, have you?
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Astérix? But we were talking about Tintin!

Come now, we’ve never considered the loot piles colonies to be part of Europe.

I'm pretty sure the Swiss would prefer not to be part of Europe as is. If any country is going to go all Neo-America and fly off as a space colony it is Switzerland.

30. - Top - End - #510

If the oven is on in a cold house, I'm still gonna want a blanket.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-10 at 11:54 AM.