New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Sermil and the Banter of Randomness: Random Banter #228

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Guys, please remember some of the Random Banter thread guidelines:

There have now been several conversations consisting of incredibly short posts just between you two. There is nothing wrong with wanting to talk to a specific person, but please consider whether these conversation may be better suited to PMs.
    Ok. My bad Peelee. I do apologized from and we're going to discussed it in the PM.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

So, now with my starting a new thread after the previous one hit 50 pages, I'm kinda curious: Why do we have a 50 page limit on threads?

I heard it was a technical reason[citation needed], but I'm curious as to the technical reason.

The site says it runs on vBulletin. vBulletin says it runs the Steam forums, but I don't see a similar restriction there. So I assume it's not a hard limit. Of course, Steam has near-infinite resources for paying for lot of hosting compute power, and giantitp.com doesn't, so it could be a soft limit...

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

My apologies pelee, will continue in IM!
    Last edited by Solamnicknight; 2020-07-16 at 12:26 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    So, now with my starting a new thread after the previous one hit 50 pages, I'm kinda curious: Why do we have a 50 page limit on threads?
    My guess is that the tools the moderators use for splitting bad posts out of threads etc. just work slower and slower the more posts are there--that's how a forum I used to moderate years ago worked, at any rate. So limiting the number of pages in a thread means the moderators can still work on it as necessary.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

I heard it was a technical reason[citation needed], but I'm curious as to the technical reason.

The site says it runs on vBulletin. vBulletin says it runs the Steam forums, but I don't see a similar restriction there. So I assume it's not a hard limit. Of course, Steam has near-infinite resources for paying for lot of hosting compute power, and giantitp.com doesn't, so it could be a soft limit...
    A quick google says that the original reason had to do with load times. Probably also does have something to do with moderation, and just having more and more things chaining off the same points. I very much have only a rudimentary knowledge of the fundamentals here, though. So foot may be in mouth.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

It looks like I'm at a Youtube War by so many idiots due to my recent video that I mentioned that my friends and I are accused of cyberbullying all because we call out on another Youtuber cyberbullying and harassing a teenager girl.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    My guess is that the tools the moderators use
    The only tools they gave me when they showed me the physical servers were a hammer and a comically-oversized wrench. The wrench is for percussive maintenance.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #68

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    It looks like I'm at a Youtube War by so many idiots due to my recent video that I mentioned that my friends and I are accused of cyberbullying all because we call out on another Youtuber cyberbullying and harassing a teenager girl.
    Trolls are real *sigh*. They're just another anying thing you have to live with but stay optimistic privately because why not, but don't underestimate pessimism because pessimism saves the world, that's my motto :thumbsup:
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

The only tools they gave me when they showed me the physical servers were a hammer and a comically-oversized wrench. The wrench is for percussive maintenance.
    Oh, for throwing at the server gremlins? And/or making the hamsters run faster?
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

10. - Top - End - #70

BlackDragon

That was nice, my employers gave me a £100 Amazon gift card for my upcoming 50th birthday!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

But what's the hammer for? Physicaly slotting square server racks into round pegs?
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

12. - Top - End - #72

That was nice, my employers gave me a £100 Amazon gift card for my upcoming 50th birthday!
    I'm conflicted because that is actually pretty good a gift in general, but there's a good chance your place of employment could give you something better as a gift, and if youj happen to work for a company owned by Amazon that's effectively being payed in scrip.

But on the third hand that means you have money to buy my book and I'm nothing if not a slave to my desires, so I present that as a fun option for your recent funds.

All jokes aside I'm of two minds on gift cards as they pertain to actual gifts. For me there is this implicit feeling that a gift card implies I'm not being trusted with money, or that they only WANT me to buy at this place instead of anywhere else I could use money at. But it has become increasingly obvious that since I live in the middle of nowhere, gift cards are actually fairly useful if they can be used for online shopping. And restaurant based gift cards typically only get given out after you've proven that you're a regular of specific places so it's like "we know you're going to go eat here anyway, here's 50 Boston Pizza bucks". So yeah, conflicted. Ultimately I'd ust prefer to cut out the middle man and get the gift I'd buy with the gift card though.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-07-16 at 08:07 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

I just want to open presents, myself, which is why I maintain an updated list year-round.

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    But what's the hammer for?
    Sorry, I'm not allowed to say
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-07-16 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Thought of a better joke

15. - Top - End - #75
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    A quick google says that the original reason had to do with load times. Probably also does have something to do with moderation, and just having more and more things chaining off the same points. I very much have only a rudimentary knowledge of the fundamentals here, though. So foot may be in mouth.
    FYI, posts per page were half the current amount back then, so it was technically 25 pages, adjusted for inflation!

We've kept the amount at 50 because it keeps managing threads much easier. Also, who the heck is going to read a 1000+ page thread? You would melt faces!

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Hah – never noticed the RB thread rules still talk about IM-ing.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'm conflicted because that is actually pretty good a gift in general, but there's a good chance your place of employment could give you something better as a gift, and if youj happen to work for a company owned by Amazon that's effectively being payed in scrip.

But on the third hand that means you have money to buy my book and I'm nothing if not a slave to my desires, so I present that as a fun option for your recent funds.

All jokes aside I'm of two minds on gift cards as they pertain to actual gifts. For me there is this implicit feeling that a gift card implies I'm not being trusted with money, or that they only WANT me to buy at this place instead of anywhere else I could use money at. But it has become increasingly obvious that since I live in the middle of nowhere, gift cards are actually fairly useful if they can be used for online shopping. And restaurant based gift cards typically only get given out after you've proven that you're a regular of specific places so it's like "we know you're going to go eat here anyway, here's 50 Boston Pizza bucks". So yeah, conflicted. Ultimately I'd ust prefer to cut out the middle man and get the gift I'd buy with the gift card though.
    1: General agreement – on the one hand, come on just give me cash, on the other hand, apparently you know me well enough to know I'd be going to this particular place anyway. Or, alternately, you got me Amazon money when I avoid Amazon on principle whenever possible.

2: You're in Canada and your first thought on a frequent eatery is "Boston Pizza"? I'm living in Boston and I didn't know we were associated with a particular kind of pizza – it's primarily (basically) New York-style here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #77

Every so often I wonder how many small children are going to be scarred for life by their parents or grandparents letting them watch The Banana Splits Movie without noticing that its rated R.

(Seriously, who the hell thought that a gory slasher movie depicting beloved children's characters as homicidal robots was a good idea?)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    1: General agreement – on the one hand, come on just give me cash, on the other hand, apparently you know me well enough to know I'd be going to this particular place anyway. Or, alternately, you got me Amazon money when I avoid Amazon on principle whenever possible.

2: You're in Canada and your first thought on a frequent eatery is "Boston Pizza"? I'm living in Boston and I didn't know we were associated with a particular kind of pizza – it's primarily (basically) New York-style here.
    Okay so fun fact, Boston Pizza is a Canadian originated restaurant that serves hamburgers, quesadilla, and yes pizza, in a faux fancy dining experience. In America they're just called "Bostons" and I don't imagine they're very popular down there.

19. - Top - End - #79

BlackDragon

I don't work for a company owned by Amazon, but thanks for the buzzkill anyway.

20. - Top - End - #80

Okay so fun fact, Boston Pizza is a Canadian originated restaurant that serves hamburgers, quesadilla, and yes pizza, in a faux fancy dining experience.
    Ah, Canada. Where Boston Pizza is a Canadian restaurant that sells burgers and Canadian Tire is a home improvement store. You truly live in a magical land.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay so fun fact, Boston Pizza is a Canadian originated restaurant that serves hamburgers, quesadilla, and yes pizza, in a faux fancy dining experience. In America they're just called "Bostons" and I don't imagine they're very popular down there.
    Boston pizza... A Canadian restaurant that serves quesadillas? Do they serve any other kind of Tex-Mex or Mexican cuisine too? I'll be honest, I always sort of wondered if you can get decent Mexican food in Canada. I've been told that you can't in the eastern states, so I'm thinking probably not?

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Boston pizza... A Canadian restaurant that serves quesadillas? Do they serve any other kind of Tex-Mex or Mexican cuisine too? I'll be honest, I always sort of wondered if you can get decent Mexican food in Canada. I've been told that you can't in the eastern states, so I'm thinking probably not?
    Maybe the northeastern states? We've got a large amount of fantastic Mexican restaurants and food trucks down here.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe the northeastern states? We've got a large amount of fantastic Mexican restaurants and food trucks down here.
    Yeah, I can't confirm this but I've been told that Mexican places in the western states are better than those in the northeast anyway. I'm not sure about the south though.

It is true that a Mexican food truck that can do legit tacos al pastor or a generously-sized torta is the rule rather than the exception here.

24. - Top - End - #84

Yeah, I can't confirm this but I've been told that Mexican places in the western states are better than those in the northeast anyway. I'm not sure about the south though.

It is true that a Mexican food truck that can do legit tacos al pastor or a generously-sized torta is the rule rather than the exception here.
    My wife gets pastore as her standard order from food trucks(also the one closest to us did tongue meat tacos, which I would get every dang time because I like to live in flavor country), as well as from a few of the the local restaurants.

25. - Top - End - #85

I don't work for a company owned by Amazon, but thanks for the buzzkill anyway.
    Sorry about that. Happy birthday though!

Ah, Canada. Where Boston Pizza is a Canadian restaurant that sells burgers and Canadian Tire is a home improvement store. You truly live in a magical land.
    You know I don't think I've ever seen any degree of car products at Canadian Tire...

It's got nachos! Everything at Boston Pizza has pepper and sriracha in it so it's very spicy, which is LIKE Mexican food... to a degree. I think it has other Mexican/Tex-Mex style dishes but I typically stick to what I get.

It also sells lots of pasta!

26. - Top - End - #86

GreenSorcererElf

That makes sense they're closer to mexico
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Cuisines that we don't get here enough in the UK: Mexican, French, Turkish, French, German, French, and Flavour.

What we get too much of over here: American commercial cuisine. Yeah, this is one of the reasons Britons will take the piss out of American cuisine, we don't get to see any of the high flavour stuff, just like how the flavourful British food tends to get tagged as 'not really British'. Well that, and the fact we don't expect you to take two thirds of your meal home when you eat in restaurants.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Cuisines that we don't get here enough in the UK: Mexican, French, Turkish, French, German, French, and Flavour.

What we get too much of over here: American commercial cuisine. Yeah, this is one of the reasons Britons will take the piss out of American cuisine, we don't get to see any of the high flavour stuff, just like how the flavourful British food tends to get tagged as 'not really British'. Well that, and the fact we don't expect you to take two thirds of your meal home when you eat in restaurants.
    Saying "American cuisine" is kind of like saying "European cuisine". Geographically, you're correct, but there can be a huge variation. There's Southern kitchens, creole/cajun, New England, Tex/Mex, seafood, Southwest, just to name the more notable ones off the top of my head. That's also ignoring the much more specific regional ones, like New York pizza, Chicago deep dish, Chicago hot dog culture, etc.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

And yet apparently English curry is really Indian, and we didn't make apple pie either.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And yet apparently English curry is really Indian, and we didn't make apple pie either.
    English curry is derived from but not the same as Indian curry, and is the reason why Japan considers curry to be a Western food.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew