Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sermil and the Banter of Randomness: Random Banter #228

Nothing about Canines is cute! Nothing! And this has absolutely nothing to do with me being straits of dogs.

I decided to sit down and try out Burning Wheel character creation last night. It took about an hour to get 80% of the way through making a four Lifepath cheery, but I find that Sergeant Dorian, the one eyed ex-soldier who signed up with the town guard a few days ago and is currently sleeping rough is already interesting to me (I was planning on going one armed, but they would make spear+shield difficult). Much more so than any of the D&D characters I've ever made, because I can see his backstory right there. Even small facts like only being partially literate makes him interesting (he can probably read orders or a wanted poster, but don't put a book in front of him), and the fact that he's not trained to wear his armour properly (which might be solveable via his 1D affiliation).

Darn it, I really want to play Burning Wheel now. Just because this character is interesting, and attempts to cleanly spend my resources have already created story hooks.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Darn it, I really want to play Burning Wheel now. Just because this character is interesting, and attempts to cleanly spend my resources have already created story hooks.
    I find the same thing with Ars Magica. I start looking though the virtues and flaws list, and pretty soon I have the whole character nucleated around some flaw (usually it ends up being a flaw).

Sigh, one of these days I gotta find a new RPG group. Haven't played a pen-and-paper RPG since my kids went off to college. Maybe when the pandemic is over...

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    I find the same thing with Ars Magica. I start looking though the virtues and flaws list, and pretty soon I have the whole character nucleated around some flaw (usually it ends up being a flaw).
    There are many reasons that I dislike &D, but the biggest is probably getting very little sense for who my character is at character creation. Especially compared to a Lifepath system where you can follow the character's history.

Plus spinning a character out of a single trait is just fun. The Missing Eye trait (which, due to the way Burning Wheel works, I had to pay three points for) basically gave the inspiration for what the character believes and how he behaves,leading to his idea in my mind of a terse, possibly depressed ex-soldier who feels that the army basically threw him out without compensation for his services.

Sigh, one of these days I gotta find a new RPG group. Haven't played a pen-and-paper RPG since my kids went off to college. Maybe when the pandemic is over...
    Same here, although my work refusing to give me regular days off without either children or a medical reason really makes it hard for me to commit to games. There's a couple of people who I could potentially start groups with, but it relies on them having friends willing to try and starting with a less crunchy system (probably Fate or *blerk^ D&D or a descendent*).

* Where the one descendent I actually kind of like, Starfinder, is still possibly too complex.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Titan in the Playground

I have a lot of characters I'd like to play as...

Of course, most of them are either specific to certain settings or are really difficult to make in a codified system.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here.

Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Titan in the Playground

And now I've gone and dug out my Unknown Armies 3e books and remembered that it's pretty much the best tabletop RPG out there. Great lore which goes against the standard RPG horror mode, a great treatment of magick with tons of fun Schools and Archetypes, some really cool organisations, and a great deconstruction of your standard urban fantasy RPG while still being a serviceable one in it's own right. Plus just great percentile mechanics.

That's another game on my 'must play/run' pile.

Show

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Titan in the Playground

I really freaking hate people sometimes.

Apparently expressing the opinion that "the characters who literally can't get sick and probably can't spread a disease to other people maybe weren't the best ones to use in a PSA about the importance of self-isolation" is the same as being an anti-masker and thinking "you know, kids who are already afraid of the pandemic are probably gonna have a panic attack if they think The Hulk is also afraid of the pandemic" is being a jackass who needs to be right.

I have to wonder if I have a "jerkass" aura that attracts people who accuse me of believing in horrible things in response to my having opinions that differ from their own regarding works of fiction becuase it sleeps fricking happening!

Venting over now.

Read my fanfiction here.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I really freaking hate people sometimes.

Apparently expressing the opinion that "the characters who literally can't get sick and probably can't spread a disease to other people maybe weren't the best ones to use in a PSA about the importance of self-isolation" is the same as being an anti-masker and thinking "you know, kids who are already afraid of the pandemic are probably gonna have a panic attack if they think The Hulk is also afraid of the pandemic" is being a jackass who needs to be right.

I have to wonder if I have a "jerkass" aura that attracts people who accuse me of believing in horrible things in response to my having opinions that differ from their own regarding works of fiction becuase it sleeps fricking happening!

Venting over now.
    That sucks and they REALLY overblew your comments.

You've always got a friend over here in me bud, don't worry about that. I sense no jerkass from you, and I'm good at sensing that ****.

Ray 01 avatar by Pinkhaired August. C U S T O M!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

Opinion: Anyone who thinks that feathered dinosaurs can't possibly be scary has never seen a pissed off bird.

Read my fanfiction here.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #1179

I did something stupid last night. A life lesson learned. Do not drink an extra stout stout, extra good tasting at that, and then drink a pilsner. The pilsner will taste like foamy water - no taste at all after the strong stout. My stomach decided several hours later it is not miscible.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Opinion: Anyone who thinks that feathered dinosaurs can't possibly be scary has never seen a pissed off bird.
    Science tells us that birds are descendants of the mighty giants who once roamed the earth, uncaring of the puny, squeaking mammals that scrambled out of their path.

If you look into the eyes of geese and chickens, you know one thing:

THEY HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN THAT!

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    I did something stupid last night. A life lesson learned. Do not drink an extra stout stout, extra good tasting at that, and then drink a pilsner. The pilsner will taste like foamy water - no taste at all after the strong stout. My stomach decided several hours later it is not miscible.
    Oof. Sorry to hear that.

11. - Top - End - #1181

It's equal parts comforting and horrifying, because on the one hand "haha silly bird you don't know what glass is you just thudded against the window like a doofish" but on the other hand, a single bluejay learned how to open the metal cap of milk jugs and the next day every single bluejay knew how to do this and "milk, delivered to your home" ended as a concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Science tells us that birds are descendants of the mighty giants who once roamed the earth, uncaring of the puny, squeaking mammals that scrambled out of their path.

If you look into the eyes of geese and chickens, you know one thing:

THEY HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN THAT!
    Damn I was gonna say this exact thing pretty much.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

One of my players (Beat, appropriately). Punched. Minamimoto.
    This is fine.

No, seriously. I'm going to make something great out of this. You hectopascals just can't see it yet.
    Because you would need to read my mind to see that.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isnít D&D, flaming the troll doesnít help either.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Titan in the Playground

If you want to get technical about i, Birds aren't so much descended from dinosaurs as they're the dinosaurs tat survived the asteroid and the after-effects of the impact.

Taxonomically speaking, all birds are dinosaurs.

The chicken is widely considered to be the direct evolutionary descendant of the Tyrannosaurus Rex. This is to say, some T-Rexes survived the extinction event and for whatever reason in the millions of years that followed selected for smaller, fluffier bodies.

Honestly, it would explain why they're so vicious. Did you know that they used to put pink-tinted glasses on chickens in farms becuase if a chicken sees a speck of blood on another chicken with will peck the other chicken to death and/or eat it alive? Yeah, chickens are omnivorous and will eat other chickens given the opportunity.

Read my fanfiction here.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    a single bluejay learned how to open the metal cap of milk jugs and the next day every single bluejay knew how to do this and "milk, delivered to your home" ended as a concept.
    Darn, now I want milk. Full fat milk. With extra fat.

I wonder why I'm so overweight?

Show

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

It's equal parts comforting and horrifying, because on the one hand "haha silly bird you don't know what glass is you just thudded against the window like a doofish" but on the other hand, a single bluejay learned how to open the metal cap of milk jugs and the next day every single bluejay knew how to do this and "milk, delivered to your home" ended as a concept.

Damn I was gonna say this exact thing pretty much.
    Great minds think alike!

If you want to get technical about i, Birds aren't so much descended from dinosaurs as they're the dinosaurs tat survived the asteroid and the after-effects of the impact.

Taxonomically speaking, all birds are dinosaurs.

The chicken is widely considered to be the direct evolutionary descendant of the Tyrannosaurus Rex. This is to say, some T-Rexes survived the extinction event and for whatever reason in the millions of years that followed selected for smaller, fluffier bodies.

Honestly, it would explain why they're so vicious. Did you know that they used to put pink-tinted glasses on chickens in farms becuase if a chicken sees a speck of blood on another chicken with will peck the other chicken to death and/or eat it alive? Yeah, chickens are omnivorous and will eat other chickens given the opportunity.
    To be clear, I chose the wording I did as a balance between "still dinosaurs, but not pushing the boundaries of physics quite as much"

Yeah, chickens are viscious. Still like them more than pigs though.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Donjon de Naheulbeuk video game came out yesterday and itís a whole lotta fun. Obviously itís not following the original plot (not enough content/fights for a game) but interestingly enough there seems to be an in-universe reason for that.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

17. - Top - End - #1187

DrowGuy

The Donjon de Naheulbeuk video game came out yesterday and itís a whole lotta fun. Obviously, itís not following the original plot (not enough content/fights for a game) but interestingly enough there seems to be an in-universe reason for that.
    What's the Donjon de Naheulbeuk in English called? I'm curious.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Yeah, chickens are viscious.
    Viciously viscous. Two reasons not to touch them.

The Donjon de Naheulbeuk video game came out yesterday and itís a whole lotta fun. Obviously itís not following the original plot (not enough content/fights for a game) but interestingly enough there seems to be an in-universe reason for that.
    What, the thief doesn't die on the first trap he tries to disarm? The dwarf is likable? The ranger is competent?
    I'm waiting for my thumb to get better (nothing dramatic) so picking up a controller won't start the healing all over again and I can get to my backlog, so maybe I'll get it. On the other hand, I've already spent too much this month.

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    According to Google, Dungeon of Naheulbeuk.

Which is so obvious in hindsight that I feel dumb for googling.

Read my fanfiction here.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #1190

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk
    Itís an audio serie parodying tabletop RPGs and a cornerstone of French geek culture. The game is called Le Donjon de Naheulbeuk : líamulette du dťsordre/The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: the Amulet of Chaos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    What, the thief doesn't die on the first trap he tries to disarm? The dwarf is likable? The ranger is competent?
    I know right? And the Elf is halfway competent with a bow and the Wizardess has actually useful spells!
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-09-18 at 11:24 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Viciously viscous. Two reasons not to touch them.

I'm waiting for my thumb to get better (nothing dramatic) so picking up a controller won't start the healing all over again and I can get to my backlog, so maybe I'll get it. On the other hand, I've already spent too much this month.
    Note to self: af least 3 cups of coffee required before any spelling attempts greater than 5 letters.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

As a child I had to collect the eggs from the garden henhouse in the morning. It was the first "household chore" that I got as a child....must have been about three...I was TERRIFIED of our rooster for the longest time. Eventually I had a "Samson Stick" (the rooster was named Samson) that I carried with me as a protective totem basically. Waving the stick at him usually would keep him from getting close but the nerves were very real.
    Many Dromeosaurids would be about the same size ratio to adult human...flip the spur to a forward facing claw...ok this is just terrifying and added brainpower (even if just a raven/african grey/macaw level at the lower end), teeth, and the ability to grip with the forelimbs just boost that.

I'm fine with roosters now, but they will always be very stupid raptors to me

23. - Top - End - #1193

Note to self: af least 3 cups of coffee required before any spelling attempts greater than 5 letters.
    win at zerow cups, thinking iz gratelee inparred.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Titan in the Playground

You know how Little Shop of Horrors was a movie, then a Stage musical, then got adapted back into a movie?

Is it bad that I want that to happen with the Beetlejuice Musical?

Read my fanfiction here.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

You know how Little Shop of Horrors was a movie, then a Stage musical, then got adapted back into a movie?

We'd need a Les Misťrables book based on the movie of the musical based on the book to get a better framework to answer your question.

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

No, but I am familiar with a similar circumstance regarding The Producers
    Quote Originally Posted by truemane
    NEVER! I shall mod and drive and pick up dubious arachnid packages until the day I die!
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

27. - Top - End - #1197

This would be the only acceptable way to remake Beetlejuice for the modern era.

**** now I want to watch Little Shop again...

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Titan in the Playground

This would be the only acceptable way to remake Beetlejuice for the modern era.

**** now I want to watch Little Shop again...
    If you want a rationale, it isn't very hard to see! No no, stop and think it over pal! The guy sure looks like plant food to me!

29. - Top - End - #1199

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    If you want a rationale, it isn't very hard to see! No no, stop and think it over pal! The guy sure looks like plant food to me!
    Aaaah how could you do this to meee I love Little Shop of Horrors SO MUCH. I might legitimately watch it this week now.

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Titan in the Playground

Aaaah how could you do this to meee I love Little Shop of Horrors SO MUCH. I might legitimately watch it this week now.
    Look, somebody brings up Little Shop of horrors, I'm going to start quoting my favorite song in the movie.